Smoky's Grow - 1st Timer - Need All The Advice I Can Get

20160120_014250.jpg
20160120_014226.jpg
20160120_014140.jpg

Emilya, I have seen some stuff about people clearing out or cutting back the thick inner growth with no buds growing. Is this common practice or do I just let that be?

Emilya, I have seen some stuff about people clearing out or cutting back the thick inner growth with no buds growing. Is this common practice or do I just let that be?

yes, it is common practice to clear out all the growth from the top of the soil up to the last point that the lights can penetrate, so the bigger your lights, the less you need to trim. This is usually done while still in veg so as to not upset the flowering plant. Clearing this undergrowth also helps a lot with air flow through the plant, and good airflow is as essential as good light in developing prize winning buds.

once in flower, I try not to disturb the plant with major trimming, but I do still tend to snip fan leaves in the middle of the plant well into flower, especially ones blocking light from buds below them. I do this sort of maintenance as I am watering, generally every 3-4 days, and I never go to extremes with it... snipping no more than a few living leaves in any one session. The plant will also work on this for you, because it knows when a leaf is in the way of developing a bud, and you will find quite often that those offending leaves are already being absorbed back into the plant.

another note on trimming... it is definitely desirable to cut the leaves off, leaving a bit of the stem, rather than stripping the leaf from the stalk. Leaving a little nub of stem makes it very easy for the plant to seal off the wound quickly, whereas trunk damage is less easily healed before infections can set in.

I like this thread... I stop by... see that everyone is saying the things I'd be saying, and move on.
Wish I could contribute.
Lovin E's words about clipping ugly or light blocking growth on a flowering plant. I'm never a fan of clipping the engines off my flowering girls, but if 1 leaf is blocking 4 others... well, it seems like easy math to me.

Good looking girlies. They'll be filling out in the upcoming weeks.

Not one to be outdone. My buddy just bought a $5000 super closet with everything you would possibly need to grow. Along with about 7 different high grade types of seeds.

Yes. And he's going to attempt deep water culture if I'm not mistaken. Check out his setup. Go to super closet and See their cabinets. Find the super led for 3995 and he added all the goodies. The co2 deal and all. Completely self contained. All in one grow setup. Complete with cloning and veg chambers etc. It's really something.

I'm going to make him create an account on here so all you wonderful people can help him along like you have with me! Haha. Plus we will get to see side by side. How two clones do one in dirt (mine) and one in dwc (his) and see the difference in yield growth taste etc.

So I didn't know that the pistils were slowly going to start turning red or orange and wilting lol. The bud sites are starting to look like they've been coated in powdered sugar lol

Back
Top Bottom