Someone broke into my house to steal weed

Mine was cancelled before legalization, even though I was licensed to grow medically. Before the cancellation took effect I was able to procure insurance through another agent. I then cancelled my insurance, prior to the company's cancellation taking effect so it was not reported to the Insurance Bureau of Canada. That last bit was important as it maintained my ability to buy insurance.

good lord. what were they trying to do to you ?

Medical grows were not limited to starting materials from Licensed Producers. That doesn't seem to have changed with legalization for recreational purposes. My license renewal application was the same as I used prior to legalization. The Cannabis act specifies that seed or clones for recreational must be purchased through the government approved sources. There is nothing in the Enabling Act, which incorporates the ACMPR, specifying that starting materials must come from the LPs.

this is correct. it still holds true to the present.

the gov't is ok with medical growers getting material from outside sources.

insurers have a different view. one that has created a loophole by which they can continue to collect without having to pay out.

for the purposes of home insurance, all plants have to be obtained thru legal gov't channels, and this must be proven by the home owner. there is no stipulation made by insurers between medical or recreational grow coverage. this is not a gov't policy, it is an insurance industry practice.

not every insurer is so short sighted.

i do know of one canadian insurer specifically covering medical grows, and they have expressly written the policy to cover any and all plants in a medical grow, regardless of origin. -they are in bc.

the largest canadian insurer - wawanesa - actively works to deny any cannabis claim regardless of circumstance. were in the news recently as april over the issue.

@fatbuds420 I'm very sorry to hear that. A few years back someone tried ripping my indoor grow off. I didn't know until the next morning when my neighbor told me someone was in my yard with a metal bar. Apparently my dog latched on to his arm and chewed him up pretty bad. Thankfully he didn't make it into my crop. I hate that people think they can do that to someone.

Very sorry for your loss. I had a plant stolen 20 years ago, it turned out to be someone we knew and trusted. My guard dog at the time was a lab, so the guy just fed him, and continued on.
I never grew again until it was legal here in Canada.

I had to pull a few days early (yesterday) (still trimming... ) after my daughter showed me drone footage of my cannabis garden. The house next door went up for sale, along with a beautiful birds eye view drone footage, showing off the street and gardens, the video opened looking down on my cannabis garden, then ended over it. I just shook my head, lit up the back yard like it was Christmas that night and we pulled early the next morning. Now I can sleep LOL.

@fatbuds420 I'm very sorry to hear that. A few years back someone tried ripping my indoor grow off. I didn't know until the next morning when my neighbor told me someone was in my yard with a metal bar. Apparently my dog latched on to his arm and chewed him up pretty bad. Thankfully he didn't make it into my crop. I hate that people think they can do that to someone.
i hope next time the dog bites his hand off

My guard dog at the time was a lab, so the guy just fed him, and continued on.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ain't that the truth!

"Ohhhhhhhh.... cookies!!!!!" - any lab

"Ohhhhhhhh.... cheese wrapper!!!!!" - also any lab

I’ve been growing stealthy for 40 years in a state that does not abide without ins-dent!
Stealth is the key to a outside grow. If I can see it... than someone else can too.
A good dog, motion sensitive lighting, are good deterrents along with a 12 gauge.
Loose lips sink ships. Som thief planed and carried this out. Where’s the ladder?

my friends guard dog was trained to detect cannabis.

he was a hell of a guard dog. super intelligent, but no quit.
extremely territorial. would try defend anything he was asked.

no one ever came within 20 yards lol

someone broke into my house this night, i live in a rich neighborhood and this kinda shit doesn't happen to often

I know that a lot of thieves tend to "shit in their own nests" due to convenience, but if they have at least two IQ points and some means of transportation, they're more likely to steal in a wealthy neighborhood than in one in which all the residents are poor :rolleyes: .

my dog didn't even bark

Almost certainly someone who has been in your home enough times that the dog considers the person to be a friend, then. But that's pretty common with "home" cannabis thefts... The grower either tells at least ONE person (because most of them can't keep their f*cking mouths shut - like a little kid with a secret - even though forums such as this one have existed for decades, which allows the grower to pseudo-anonymously brag as much as he/she wants to lots and lots of people who have no idea who the grower is or where the grow is). That ONE person either steals the stuff or tells at least ONE person. Or else the grower forgets some other facet of basic cannabis-growing Safety and Security 101, and some passing stranger is able to tell at a glance that there's an easy score. But mostly, it's because the grower is unable to remain "mute."

I'm glad that the miscreant didn't tie you up (or just kill you) so he/she could clean your home out of all its valuables.

"Stranger" cannabis robberies tend to involve commercial "warehouse" type grows or dispensaries.

too bad my dog didn't bark, the story would've been much different, i still can't believe someone would go through the struggle of climbing into my balcony with a ladder with neighbors and lights all around and nobody saw anything

You had video surveillance inside your home, and watched the recordings to make sure that the person didn't simply enter through your front door (with a key or without - most locks can be defeated in well under a minute with little or no noise, and often without even leaving a visible scratch), walk through to your balcony, pick up the plant, and carry it out by reversing the route? Seems both easier and safer.

It happened down in Etobicoke last week. The guy noticed his motion light went off. He looked out and two guys were trying to steal his plants. He confronted them and ended up getting stabbed.

The safest way - perhaps the only safe way? - to confront someone who is obviously already determined to commit a crime, is with a firearm ( / knowledge of the specific model and training with same / willingness to use it to defend one's life/safety/property). A 12-gauge Ithica pump is your friend ;) .

When "someone" is multiple people, anything other than the above amounts to attempted suicide (FFS!).

I wonder if med Farmers can apply for crop insurance yet?

Must be nice to live in Canada, where cannabis has been legalized on the federal/national level. Down here, regardless of how many states have done so, it's still verboten federally - and our crop insurance is, basically, a federal program. So that's not likely to happen here unless/until our federal government ceases to illegally consider it to be a Schedule I narcotic.

Have you seen this poor sap?
OP @philthegeek from Aussie.
That's like a mate of mine who shot out a street lamp that was shining over the wall onto his grow. The repair guys found the hole and pellet and followed the direction and could see his grow perfectly from high up. Cops were called and he was busted. Been ripped off a couple time guerilla growing in the forest but that's a chance you take. Once people start harvesting plants in your back yard , it's time to pull or dedend. So sad. I can see a lot of people getting ripped off in South Africa this coming autumn. It's just been legalized to grow for personal consumption so there are 1000's of new growers. If I take a drive for 5 km I wouldn't be able to count on my fingers how many grows are visible from the street. My grow can be seen by a few people but there is no way to get to it without being electrocuted.
It's a shame

Must be nice to live in Canada, where cannabis has been legalized on the federal/national level. Down here, regardless of how many states have done so, it's still verboten federally - and our crop insurance is, basically, a federal program. So that's not likely to happen here unless/until our federal government ceases to illegally consider it to be a Schedule I narcotic.

I know I'm close, but not quite in Canada eh.

Back
Top Bottom