Split Stalk - Can it be saved? Pics

Personal Stash

I just noticed this huge split. Can it be fixed and/or will it hurt my plant? It's about 3 weeks into flower, I think. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

IMG_20231115_121118.jpg

IMG_20231115_120527.jpg

Good, good. Anybody else?

Alovera is very good for broken stems too!
Darn, I let my aloe vera plant freeze last winter. That sounds like what I will use because it probably won't attract bugs. Thanks.

Cable tie it so it doesn't split further!!
I would but I really don't see anywhere to put it. It's in a scrog net so I don't see how it split anyway. I don't think it can split anymore. I am mostly worried about things like mold, fungus, bugs, things like that. The hole goes away down there. Thanks.

Thanks guys for helping me. I am going to try putting aloe vera in the hole like Porky82 suggested, wish me luck.

It does look like something that happened awhile back. The plant healed up and unlikely at this time that there will be any problem. Treating it as suggested should not cause any problem if you want to do something

Probably started during or right after a topping in the early stages of training or building the manifold look. My guess is that the cut made was too close to the top nodes and not very noticeable. As the wound healed the exposed center woody tissue and softer plant tissue right under the skin/bark dried out and shrunk. If the plant was to stay in a vegetative stage long enough the thick plant tissue or bark building up around the nodes would eventually completely cover the hole. If or when I do similar sorts of training involving cutting off small branches I try to leave a 1/8th to 1/4 inch of stub. The stub will dry and shrink and a hole rarely forms.

I see similar things happen to trees that have either had a branch trimmed or blown off during a storm. The tree fixes the problem over several seasons if a minor situation or a couple of decades for something large.

I tape splits with teflon tape just because you can put a good amount of tension on it and it’s self amalgamating.

Split stems are usually not a big problem. Focus on giving them enough support but I wouldn't bother filling the hole or covering it, it may even be contra productive. The plant is really good at healing its own wounds and tissues and they're most times better left alone. It need to be able to ventilate that open spot and if you cover it with tape etc you may create an anaerobic environment for mold or other nasties to flourish.

I tape splits with teflon tape just because you can put a good amount of tension on it and it’s self amalgamating.
I will look up amalgamating and see what happens, thanks. :cool:

one thing i would look at.
The string you used for your net your find alot of the fibres in your sticky bud IF your not careful.
I find nylon string works better.
The plant looks fine tbh. :)

I'm pretty brutal with my girls. Twisting and cavorting my way through many grows in the past. Sometimes inflicting damage on purpose. Most strains respond very well to stress. I look at it this way. A tree falls on a cannabis plant in the wild. She simply recovers and grows around the obstruction while repairing along the way. They aren't indestructible but they are very hardy plants.

I've used duct tape before. Two sticks and some tape..lol. I'd imagine super glued would seal up a crack or break as well. Just haven't had to try it yet...key word yet..lol

electrical tape also works really well since it will stretch as the plant heals and develops a knuckle on the break.

Back
Top Bottom