Sqwheels' 2nd Grow - White Widow - Soil-Less Mix 2011

Those buds are looking good, keep going. You already learned one disadvantage of clones--bugs. They almost always come with them unless you personally know the source. Seeds don't bring any bugs w/ them. The other disadvantage is timing/availability. Seeds can sit in a drawer for a long time till you need them. Also the quality of the cut you get may not be the best one--growing from seed yourself allows you to pick YOUR favorite cut thru testing.

Your plants look really good, especially seeing the higher temps you've been dealing with. Social Smoker has a good idea if you're not already doing that. It is often easier to deal with environmental conditions appropriately in the winter months.

Keep rockin' it Sqwheels! :thumb:

Those buds are looking good, keep going. You already learned one disadvantage of clones--bugs. They almost always come with them unless you personally know the source. Seeds don't bring any bugs w/ them. The other disadvantage is timing/availability. Seeds can sit in a drawer for a long time till you need them. Also the quality of the cut you get may not be the best one--growing from seed yourself allows you to pick YOUR favorite cut thru testing.

Hi OG,

Yep, bugs, both times now. At least this time I caught them real early. I knew what to watch for. Last time they were invested before I knew what was wrong. This time I found them 3 or 4 days into 12/12, there was only a few and I killed them quick, haven't seen any since. :phew:

"sit in a drawer" really? no special storage? I haven't researched this at all.

hey wheels plants look great nice job ...have you considered running your lights at night when temps are cooler:roorrip:

Hey SS,

Lights are on 8am-8pm. I did consider lighting at night when it came time for the switch to 12/12, I really didn't think it was going to be this hot... and other things weighed, I knew my closet wasn't completely light tight, and daytime light would have seeped thru the cracks all day. As it is I'm pretty sure that's partly why they hermied on me. It doesn't get dark here until around 9:30, and even tho I hang a black sheet over the doors I'm pretty sure a little light gets in before it's totally dark outside. During the winter months it didn't matter, because it got dark so early.

I've learned alot of what NOT to do. I obviously still have kinks to work out. I'm not giving up tho, I really like growing my own. I just need to finese my setup somehow.

:peace:

Your plants look really good, especially seeing the higher temps you've been dealing with. Social Smoker has a good idea if you're not already doing that. It is often easier to deal with environmental conditions appropriately in the winter months.

Keep rockin' it Sqwheels! :thumb:

Hi Xlr8,

Thank you for the encouragement.

See my reply to SS.

:circle-of-love:

i remember the lean!!! mine did that too!!! but your buds are a lot bigger than mine were!!! but all in all!!! great smoke!!! as for the leafs, i dont think you should have took the fan leafs off yet, i know that they are vital to sugar development in the plant, without them, it makes the bud not taste so well. but thats just what i read!!!

they looks great!!! your doing a great job!!! what do the trics look like??? you get the ambers comin in yet???

:peacetwo:

i remember the lean!!! mine did that too!!! but your buds are a lot bigger than mine were!!! but all in all!!! great smoke!!! as for the leafs, i dont think you should have took the fan leafs off yet, i know that they are vital to sugar development in the plant, without them, it makes the bud not taste so well. but thats just what i read!!!

they looks great!!! your doing a great job!!! what do the trics look like??? you get the ambers comin in yet???

:peacetwo:

Hi Astonr,

Thanks for the kinds words of encouragement.

yep, the tops are getting real heavy...all the specifics are in my update 7-18-11.

I didn't read that you shouldn't remove those big leaves...where did you see that? In the beginning I was trying to minimize the food for mites and make it easier for me to wash them thoroughly. Then I read in 420fied's journal about removing them at certain times in their cycle. I asked a few questions about this technique and was told it was OK to remove. Since then I've pretty much been trying to get light penetration to the most promising buds. Removing those that were blocking the light. If you look back at my weekly updates, you can see the method to my maddness...Maybe. :yummy:

By the way, your latest pics update, those plants look really good. I don't know what might be eating them tho... I tried to post this to your journal, but it got eaten too. :yahoo:

I just gave some 20 year old seeds to a buddy and most were still viable....You can get seeds at a dispensary in Lansing, PM me for details. You could also try doing a 12/12 from seed to keep the size down.

If you don't want to be stuck to the couch, you don't want amber trics. Harvest earlier. They start at head buzz when clear and get more body buzz the longer you wait....

Hi Astonr,

By the way, your latest pics update, those plants look really good. I don't know what might be eating them tho... I tried to post this to your journal, but it got eaten too. :yahoo:

LOL :rofl: that was a good one!! you really had me laughing on that one!!! lol
yea i cant see what could be eating them either??? like i said i go outside to check them out a lot!!! after i posted that picture another leaf had been attacked??? its kinda odd??? maybe its a side effecr from it being a herm seed??? but its not happening all as much to Afgoo 1??? hmm???:hmmmm:

I JUST DONT KNOW??? :scratchinghead:

Hey SS,

Lights are on 8am-8pm. I did consider lighting at night when it came time for the switch to 12/12, I really didn't think it was going to be this hot... and other things weighed, I knew my closet wasn't completely light tight, and daytime light would have seeped thru the cracks all day. As it is I'm pretty sure that's partly why they hermied on me. It doesn't get dark here until around 9:30, and even tho I hang a black sheet over the doors I'm pretty sure a little light gets in before it's totally dark outside. During the winter months it didn't matter, because it got dark so early.

I've learned alot of what NOT to do. I obviously still have kinks to work out. I'm not giving up tho, I really like growing my own. I just need to finese my setup somehow.

im sure ul get it dialed in wheels it takes acouple grows :roorrip:

Hey there young Lady ! :)

Your girls are looking good.....and getting a bit heavy too. :high-five:

Considering everything you've learned NOT to do, I think your doing great for your conditions hands down. I don't care when it is, if a leaf is blocking light from your bud sites...off it comes. But that's just me. Sometimes I don't follow the Holy Grail to the letter. You've seen my leafless bottom branches. If there is no way I can get light to them off they go. Why waste the energy if they are never going to bloom or get any light. I figure the ones that are getting light will make up the difference.

I think your right.....make hay in the winter grows and sit out the summer grow.
I think you'll make up the yield in the winter and you can just relax in the summer. :bravo:

I just gave some 20 year old seeds to a buddy and most were still viable....You can get seeds at a dispensary in Lansing, PM me for details. You could also try doing a 12/12 from seed to keep the size down.

Hi OG,

Really?? I had no idea you could just throw them in a drawer and leave them. The more I learn about MJ the more I love it. Amazing plant.

If you don't want to be stuck to the couch, you don't want amber trics. Harvest earlier. They start at head buzz when clear and get more body buzz the longer you wait....

Yep I knew this part...I researched it here @ 420mag when I was ready to harvest my first grow. Very informative peeps here, just wish I had more time to search, there are sooo many great threads here.

I want to try 420fied scrog method next I think...it quicker, and smaller, I may be able to pull it off...must do more research. By the way what does SCROG mean? sorry...I need a "MJ for dummies book"

im sure ul get it dialed in wheels it takes acouple grows :roorrip:

Hey SS,

Yep I'm sure I will

Patients and Practice...It's worked for me for many years now

:yahoo:

Hey there young Lady ! :)

Your girls are looking good.....and getting a bit heavy too. :high-five:

Considering everything you've learned NOT to do, I think your doing great for your conditions hands down. I don't care when it is, if a leaf is blocking light from your bud sites...off it comes. But that's just me. Sometimes I don't follow the Holy Grail to the letter. You've seen my leafless bottom branches. If there is no way I can get light to them off they go. Why waste the energy if they are never going to bloom or get any light. I figure the ones that are getting light will make up the difference.

I think your right.....make hay in the winter grows and sit out the summer grow.
I think you'll make up the yield in the winter and you can just relax in the summer. :bravo:

Hi OMM,

Conditions...it was 97 degrees here yesterday. My room...95 degrees at it's hottest, late in the day the sun is shining on the side of the house that that little closet is on, Man it got hot in there yesterday. And today is suppose to be hotter. Thankfully by Saturday we are suppose to get a break in the heat. :yahoo::yahoo: My girls really need it.

Surprisingly the RH has pretty much stabilized to 60% @ night, and falls to 50% within a couple of hours after lights on...then to 45% later in the day.

I hope all this heat and hum doesn't give me mold...that's my next concern, they are really getting close now and I don't need any more challenges.

About the leaves and bud sites...yep, if I think they (leaves) are blocking the light or (mini buds) that are never going to develope into a good sized bud, I pick it, it's just sucking up energy I want her to concentrate to other buds.

I try to listen to the plant...I still a little worried about all the brown leaf tips...we shall see.

Thanks for all you help and support...I may have given up on this grow had it not been for all of you great members here. :high-five:

LOL :rofl: that was a good one!! you really had me laughing on that one!!! lol
yea i cant see what could be eating them either??? like i said i go outside to check them out a lot!!! after i posted that picture another leaf had been attacked??? its kinda odd??? maybe its a side effecr from it being a herm seed??? but its not happening all as much to Afgoo 1??? hmm???:hmmmm:

I JUST DONT KNOW??? :scratchinghead:

Hi Astonr,

I'm stumped. I have lots of outdoor plants (not MJ) I grow tomatos and various other vegies every year, and other perenniels in my yard, there are all kinds of bugs out there. Someone mentioned grasshoppers. It could be a plant hopper of some kind, ya know, something that just stays long enough to take a few bites and then dissappears. Maybe thats why you haven't found any bugs on them. Didn't you say you sprayed around your yard earlier? Maybe you should reapply...out in your yard.

I don't really think it would be a hermie side effect, that just doesn't seem to make sense to me...But I'm often wrong. And like you said it's only the one plant. Get yourself a nice iced drink of choice and a dubbie and take a seat outside, away from your girls, but still able to see them good, then wait, and watch...my best suggestion.

Happy Growing :yahoo:

Thanks SS,

I feel really dumb sometimes asking ???'s But how else will I learn? I've read it in lots of journals, but no one ever elaborated.

Thanks again. J

Thanks SS,

I feel really dumb sometimes asking ???'s But how else will I learn? I've read it in lots of journals, but no one ever elaborated.

Thanks again. J

It takes time to pick up the different terms and styles of growing. Nobody here minds questions, and it's a great way to learn.

You may know some of this, but:

Scrog = Screen of Green like SS says, it's basically a screen set at a specific height that you use to keep the bud-sites at the same height (which you control with the screen). This method allows you to maximize horizontal space, which most people have more of than vertical space.

Marley15 had a great scrog, here is a picture of his (just one!) plant from about day 32 (can't see it in the pic, but there is a screen under there):

P3300306_phixr.jpg

SOG = Sea of Green. Sea of green is when you grow a greater number of plants in a given amount of space by giving them little to no veg. time first. Because they never get as big overall, you can fit more of them into a smaller space. 420fied actually grew using the SOG method. Here's a cool pic from his last grow:

d59group_color.JPG

LST = Think of it like a Scrog without a screen. Bending and holding down branches to minimize vertical height and create more "tops" that are at about the same height. Here's a great diagram for how to LST your plant(s):

LST32.jpg

They all have the same thing in common -- maximizing horizontal space while minimizing vertical growth. Just different ways to accomplish the same objective. Hope this helps some! X

Back
Top Bottom