Sqwheels' 2nd Grow - White Widow - Soil-Less Mix 2011

sqwheels ive read in several threads that plants that hermie are unstable genetics hence clones and seeds are also ...

I thought I read that too...But how do you get seeds then? By pollinating a single flower of a female?

In the video Astonr posted, the guy said seeds from hermies have a 95% chance of giving you a female plant. How do you know who is right?

her ww s dont have bannanas they are male nuts seeds could b male or female

I don't understand. what's the difference between the little banana thingys, I've only seen a few pics in my research, and the pollen sacks I have? I haven't seen anything like those bananas on my plants.

Does it depend on the timing? Ya know, in the cycle of it's life. These plants showed signs of hermie just a couple weeks into 12/12.

I've read that some plants hermie because of environmental factors like mine. And some plants heremie late in their life cycle due to maturity, like trying a last ditch effort at propogating the species.

I'm so confused...:hmmmm:

as far as i know cleaning it out with bleach water will clean everything out, fungus, mold, pests... but thats what i have read!!!

:peacetwo:

I read somewhere that if you leave a male in your grow room that it will probably pollinate anything you grow in that room in the future. That's why I'm trying to figure out pollens life span. I don't want to ruin my next grow because I got pollen this grow.

:yummy:

Hi sqwheels. :high-five:
Once my lady started feeling better.....so did I. She is getting around better each day now. :yahoo:

Not going to comment on the pollen you have plenty of good help on that one.

My friend never called me back, so I didn't see him. The VA paid for everything for him I know that much, he's a retired marine. I know his email was to a disable vet organization. He was running one day and just fell down and was paralyzed from then on. :smokin:

If he does call I will get all the info on his table.

I like your attitude......sh@t happens let's get on with it!

I was just like you, read everything I could find on growing and problems.
You've learned allot just by having a grow. A lot of "I wont do that again". :yummy:

Hi OMM,

I'm so relieved for you and Jo both.

Sorry to hear about your friend not coming to HI for a visit. The whole "just fell down one day and was paralyzed"... That makes no sense. I was just wondering how he could travel by airline if he was confined to a table like contraption. Legistics and all.

Yep, Sh*t happens, One of my favorite sayings. Hence the quote in my sig...Crap occurs... It's mine. :yahoo:

I feel like the more I read the more confused I am sometimes...There are so many different opinions and methods of growing that I just feel completely lost at times. Just when I think I've figured something out...another opinion will make me have more questions.

:bong:

Weekly Update...

Ok, if you've been following, I've had some problems with my grow, but I'm still pluggin' away.
Here's what I have today. 26 days @ 12/12
Full view shot. They are about 8" taller than me now.
DSCN01443.JPG

This one shows the bottom of the plants and how I've scalped them bare
DSCN01453.JPG

Here's a couple of buds...They are looking real hairy now.
DSCN01355.JPG

DSCN01332.JPG

This bud I think is going to produce seeds...I can just see what I think is seeds forming, one in the very center of this bud
RSCN0149.JPG

I pulled the main stalk towards me so I could get a shot of the top cola
DSCN01376.JPG

I'll call these cola A
DSCN01414.JPG

and B
DSCN01423.JPG

I can't be absolutey certain but I may still have a bug problem...A few leaves look like this
DSCN01362.JPG

I'm always amazed by nature...I've scalped all the lower leaves off and still it's trying to make new growth...Is this how people "rebloom" a plant? Someone once told me I could cut my mature plant but leave enough to start a new plant, put it back into 18/6 or 24/0 and it would start over.
DSCN01486.JPG

Here's one of my equip...I told y'all it was really simple.
DSCN01472.JPG

Well in the last week, I've pinched about 25 pollen sacks, 3 of these were open and looked like a little upside down flower hanging on the underside of the buds just b4 the leaf stem. Sorry no pics, I just wanted them off of there. Didn't want to spread any more pollen by accident.

Much thanks to all who have helped me with advice and research for this grow so far... :circle-of-love:

Happy Growing Everybody :bong:

In the video Astonr posted, the guy said seeds from hermies have a 95% chance of giving you a female plant.

I now have a Female from my hermie seed!!! lets see if it stays a female!!!

I now have a Female from my hermie seed!!! lets see if it stays a female!!!

Astonr,

Good luck with that. Journal it so we can all watch.

:peace:

oh you better believe it!!! everything is going into the journal!!! just like the white widow grow!!! and also watch out on my signature, I am going to be having an exclusive Grow Journal!!! not really giving out all the details yet!!! but just watch out for it in my sig!!!

Hi OMM,

I'm so relieved for you and Jo both.

Sorry to hear about your friend not coming to HI for a visit. The whole "just fell down one day and was paralyzed"... That makes no sense. I was just wondering how he could travel by airline if he was confined to a table like contraption. Legistics and all.

Yep, Sh*t happens, One of my favorite sayings. Hence the quote in my sig...Crap occurs... It's mine. :yahoo:

I feel like the more I read the more confused I am sometimes...There are so many different opinions and methods of growing that I just feel completely lost at times. Just when I think I've figured something out...another opinion will make me have more questions.

:bong:

Hi Girl :)

When he called, he was in Waikiki. So he was here...and he sounded different.
Maybe he made a recovery???? IDK what happened to him, we were good friends for years??

I know it can be confusing with so many opinions and ideas. All about the same subject! My first grow was a disaster, but I learned what did and didn't work for me. Unfortunately what works for one person might not work for another. One thing we have on our side is the plant it's self....it does it's best to grow. Worried about pollen? Just clean the room with bleach or something. I don't want to slight anyone, but if you listen to old growers that have been here a long time, they will give you the best advice. You can get paralyzed with too much information.

On a bad note....The Doctor finally called Jo and the news was not good. Her heart is not working right and is the cause of all the water in her system. More test. yuck! :smokin::smokin:

It is hard sometimes with a number of varying opinions on things. I agree with what OMM said - look at the advice and the source of the advice. Many people here have been growing here for a while now, and have documented their successes and learnings. I tend to value they're opinions a bit more because I know a bit more about them from following their grows. Look to your gut for guidance, too.

Also - follow other growers journals. Good growers will journal their positives, negatives, and outcomes along the way. You can pick up a lot through imitation and copying other's successes and apply it to what you are doing.

OMM had a good suggestion about cleaning the room good with a bleach/water mixture and keep things clean as a matter of course along the way. Pollen spreads easy, but a good cleaning should take care of it okay.

Stress of many sorts can cause a plant to hermie. That includes the stress of old age sometimes. Basically, if a plant thinks it's life is coming to an end soon, there's a chance it will express an otherwise dormant hermaphrodite trait as a last ditch effort to reproduce before expiring. Selective breeding attempts to minimize the likelihood of this trait expressing itself, and good genetics can sometimes be pushed pretty far without causing a plant to hermie.

I believe that feminized seeds from a reputable seed company are going to be fine, healthy, female seeds the vast majority of the time if you're grow environment is good (I've heard 90-95% range).

For those reasons, a growers number one priority should be to create ideal growing environment. Good temps, good RH, good air circulation, effective lighting. Complete dark in the night-cycle. After that, worry about nutrients, trimming, cloning, and advanced techniques.

Doc Bud is a respected grower here, and he always stresses the importance of your environment as the far most important component of growing.

Just a few thoughts! :)

My 2 cents!

Oh, and your plants look really good and healthy. :thumb: Keep up the good fight pinching those sacks - the effort might reward you with some nice buds in the end. :)

Maybe someone else can weigh in, but I can't tell what might be up with your leaf for sure. Might not be anything to worry about.

You can re-veg a plant after harvest sometimes, BUT, I've heard it's not easy, and takes a long time to come around again. You also have to really really dial down the nutrients as there isn't nearly as much left to support the higher levels of nutrients after a harvest.

Hi Girl :)

When he called, he was in Waikiki. So he was here...and he sounded different.
Maybe he made a recovery???? IDK what happened to him, we were good friends for years??

I know it can be confusing with so many opinions and ideas. All about the same subject! My first grow was a disaster, but I learned what did and didn't work for me. Unfortunately what works for one person might not work for another. One thing we have on our side is the plant it's self....it does it's best to grow. Worried about pollen? Just clean the room with bleach or something. I don't want to slight anyone, but if you listen to old growers that have been here a long time, they will give you the best advice. You can get paralyzed with too much information.

On a bad note....The Doctor finally called Jo and the news was not good. Her heart is not working right and is the cause of all the water in her system. More test. yuck! :smokin::smokin:

Hi OMM,

I've been gone all week...real sorry to hear about Jo's heart. Hope the tests don't reveal anything too awful. But I'm sure you 2 will deal with whatever comes up. All my best to Jo, Good vibes always.:circle-of-love:

I know what you mean about the old time growers... Gotta Love 'em. It's kinda hard to tell who's who here tho. But I'm getting alot of good info, and appreciate all of it, even if I do feel a little overloaded at times.:bong:

Did your friend ever make it over to see you? Is he better?

J

It is hard sometimes with a number of varying opinions on things. I agree with what OMM said - look at the advice and the source of the advice. Many people here have been growing here for a while now, and have documented their successes and learnings. I tend to value they're opinions a bit more because I know a bit more about them from following their grows. Look to your gut for guidance, too.

Also - follow other growers journals. Good growers will journal their positives, negatives, and outcomes along the way. You can pick up a lot through imitation and copying other's successes and apply it to what you are doing.

OMM had a good suggestion about cleaning the room good with a bleach/water mixture and keep things clean as a matter of course along the way. Pollen spreads easy, but a good cleaning should take care of it okay.

Stress of many sorts can cause a plant to hermie. That includes the stress of old age sometimes. Basically, if a plant thinks it's life is coming to an end soon, there's a chance it will express an otherwise dormant hermaphrodite trait as a last ditch effort to reproduce before expiring. Selective breeding attempts to minimize the likelihood of this trait expressing itself, and good genetics can sometimes be pushed pretty far without causing a plant to hermie.

I believe that feminized seeds from a reputable seed company are going to be fine, healthy, female seeds the vast majority of the time if you're grow environment is good (I've heard 90-95% range).

For those reasons, a growers number one priority should be to create ideal growing environment. Good temps, good RH, good air circulation, effective lighting. Complete dark in the night-cycle. After that, worry about nutrients, trimming, cloning, and advanced techniques.

Doc Bud is a respected grower here, and he always stresses the importance of your environment as the far most important component of growing.

Just a few thoughts! :)

My 2 cents!

Hey Xlr8,

Thanks for stopping by. Your 2 cents are always welcome. I agree about the old growers, and the journals here are a wealth of information. I've been lurking several for a long time now. I'll go look up DocBud, thanks.

I hear ya about the environment, I think that is my whole problem this time 'round. I'm pretty sure my clones came from a good source, I just don't have any idea how old the mother might be, and if that could have been a contributing factor on top of my bad environment.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

plants look n good sqwheels....the bannanas can appear on a mature female plant they produce fem seeds usually

Hi SS,

I'm still a little confused over the banana things. This is the latest thing I pinched. I pinched it because I thought it was another pollen sack, or a developing seed, but on closer inspection it has ... bananas, I think.

RSCN0157.JPG

What do you think? See my update 7-11-11 for more pics

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions or comments are always welcome. :high-five:

Hi SS,

I'm still a little confused over the banana things. This is the latest thing I pinched. I pinched it because I thought it was another pollen sack, or a developing seed, but on closer inspection it has ... bananas, I think.

RSCN0157.JPG

What do you think? See my update 7-11-11 for more pics

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions or comments are always welcome. :high-five:
high wheels
it looks it looks like a female pistola kinda hard to tell though :roorrip:

Weekly Update...33 days @ 12/12

First, some pics

Overview, they are about 5' tall now and have stopped stretching for the most part, I haven't moved the light in several days.

WW B (left) just a little shorter than WW A (right)
DSCN01694.JPG

Cola A
DSCN01623.JPG

Cola B
DSCN01634.JPG

A couple of random bud shots, they are coming along nicely despite all my blunders
DSCN01685.JPG

DSCN01665.JPG

I took this one last Friday
DSCN01613.JPG

I don't know if you can see it, but this damage is caused by the leaves rubbing against each other, excessive fan
DSCN01642.JPG

I took these last Friday, I think these are the bananas I've read about, these first 2 are the same pod from different angles, the third is a difference pod
RSCN0154.JPG

RSCN0157.JPG

RSCN0158.JPG

Just some random thoughts...

I've decided not to use the dehumitifier I bought, the Hum level has stabilized around 55% for most of the day, and the thing adds heat to an already hot room. Instead I've added another small fan. Unfortunately I think the excessive air movement is causing the leaves that tough to rub each other raw. Go figure. I don't want any mold issues on top of everything else so I'm going to deal with it, I don't smoke the suckers anyway so...it's gonna have to be this way for now.

Still a little confused about the whole banana thing...The pollen pods have stopped growing, I haven't found one since Friday 7-8-11, but I found what I thought was an immature seed, pinched it off and peeled it open, I found bananas, but the pod itself had hairs as if it was going to be a bud. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I can definately see seeds growing now, about 20 bud sites on each plant have them... I'm not going to pick them off, I think she stopped growing the pollen sacks because she now knows there will be seeds, life goes on...

Another thought...because my room is so hot, I've been leaving the doors open with an osolating fan sitting outside the room also, to help the temp, and the exhaust fan has been running almost none stop...Therefore, no co2.

What is MJ grown with almost no co2 going to be like?

Note to OMM...Yes, they want to grow for us. We just have to give them what they need and get out of the way. Despite my many mistakes, they look pretty good.

Happy Growing Everybody :green_heart:

high wheels
it looks it looks like a female pistola kinda hard to tell though :roorrip:

And a female pistola is ???

I'm going to have to find myself a diagram with good labels that show every part of the MJ plant, both male and female. That might help me.

I probably sound like such an idiot... :sorry: I just don't know enough yet. But with a little time and help from all of you, I will someday. :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom