Sqwheels' 2nd Grow - White Widow - Soil-Less Mix 2011

Hi Young Lady. :love:

Your girls are looking great. The way you were talking about them I expected to see rubble. :) Pluck off those bad leaves, they aren't doing anything anyway.
I wouldn't worry too much about the C02 at this point. It's everywhere anyway, so they will get some. Your breathing around them adds C02. We all want our plants to be perfect, that's why we worry about it. This is my first time using it, but I've had good grows without it.

You are going to have a reasonable harvest and will wind up with some good smoke.....and a few seeds.:) Remember we are just trying to have perfect plants and that means experience. For a first grow you are doing good, especially for all the issues you've had. The more you grow the more you know.
You can't jump in and be perfect the first time. You are doing good! :high-five:

Just a couple pics of what I think is seeds growing

These first two are the same bud site, one from a distance then a close up

DSCN01714.JPG

RSCN0172.JPG

You can see the hairs coming from this pod, and the casing is cracked open. The last time I picked one that looked like this it had those banana things in it.

Another bud site, notice how this one has no hairs and is not split open anywhere, maybe the first is more mature?

DSCN01743.JPG

RSCN0175.JPG

Any ideas or thoughts on this...

:peace:

Hi Young Lady. :love:

Your girls are looking great. The way you were talking about them I expected to see rubble. :) Pluck off those bad leaves, they aren't doing anything anyway.
I wouldn't worry too much about the C02 at this point. It's everywhere anyway, so they will get some. Your breathing around them adds C02. We all want our plants to be perfect, that's why we worry about it. This is my first time using it, but I've had good grows without it.

You are going to have a reasonable harvest and will wind up with some good smoke.....and a few seeds.:) Remember we are just trying to have perfect plants and that means experience. For a first grow you are doing good, especially for all the issues you've had. The more you grow the more you know.
You can't jump in and be perfect the first time. You are doing good! :high-five:

Hi OMM,

Not rubble yet...I'm still hangin' in there, or "they" are I should say. Yep I will pluck all those leaves off eventually...right now I think they are keeping the buds from chaffing each other in the breeze, I've got quite a bit of air flow in there trying to reduce any mold that may want to creep into those buds because of the heat/hum. Man, I don't need another complication.

Ya, I know that co2 is everywhere, and trust me they get a good amount from me with all my huffing and puffing while I'm in there messing with them every day, it was just a thought I had. Wondered what the pros might have to say :)

I'm pretty sure I'll have a decent harvest if nothing else goes wrong...Oh ya, I almost forgot...I've got a light issue to work out now. My light didn't come on today, first time since I had to replace the ballast, I wonder if it's bad again. Now I've got to get that figured out.

I love the ... "the more you grow, the more you know" sooo true.

:circle-of-love:

I haven't caught up on your journal yet so I may have missed something...
Please tell Jo, she's always in my thoughts :love::love:

Hey sqwheels :)

I swear you are getting all your experience in one grow...not the way you want to get it either.:smokin::smokin:

Hope you get the light to work again.....your being bombarded with trouble, you poor thing, In the pictures you posted...those are the naners we were talking about. I would pinch em off if it were me.

About Jo.....she is thinking of going to the emergency room tonight. One of her feet is killing her. I gave her two big non aspirin pain pills and she is sound to sleep now. We will see. Just realized she is about like your grow....problems, problems. Sorry about the comparison. :)

Both of you need to catch some good luck! :surf:

Hey sqwheels :)

I swear you are getting all your experience in one grow...not the way you want to get it either.:smokin::smokin:

Hope you get the light to work again.....your being bombarded with trouble, you poor thing, In the pictures you posted...those are the naners we were talking about. I would pinch em off if it were me.

About Jo.....she is thinking of going to the emergency room tonight. One of her feet is killing her. I gave her two big non aspirin pain pills and she is sound to sleep now. We will see. Just realized she is about like your grow....problems, problems. Sorry about the comparison. :)

Both of you need to catch some good luck! :surf:

Hi OMM,

Yeeap, someone mentioned Murphy and he's been all over me ever since. :yikes::yikes: One thing after another.

I've fixed the light problem for now... I went to the grow shop and they gave me a loaner. It came on this AM :phew: so I'm doing good today.

The "naners"...Which pic exactly? the ones I posted in my update 7-11? I already picked those. Or the ones I posted 7-12? I thought those looked like seeds. I wasn't going to pick seeds ...

My thoughts are...first I stressed them with light leak or too much heat/hum, or whatever caused them to hermie, so they started producing pollen sacks, as soon as I saw those sacks I started pinching them off, during my daily inspections, everywhere I found them...but I obviously missed a few, because I found a couple open. And a few days later, during my daily inspections, I started noticing what looked like seed pods. I picked a few of these at first so I could look inside, they are seeds. Now I've left the seeds alone. I figure they aren't making the pollen sacks anymore because they know there are seeds growing. If I pick the seed pods off I'm afraid she'll start making pollen again, and I don't want that.

I know I'm rambling. :sorry: I need to talk this thru because I really don't have a clue. Both of my grows have been experiments to me, and each has given me different challenges.

Give my best to Jo...hope yall didn't have to go to emergency...that's never fun.

:green_heart:

Hi OMM,

Yeeap, someone mentioned Murphy and he's been all over me ever since. :yikes::yikes: One thing after another.

I've fixed the light problem for now... I went to the grow shop and they gave me a loaner. It came on this AM :phew: so I'm doing good today.

The "naners"...Which pic exactly? the ones I posted in my update 7-11? I already picked those. Or the ones I posted 7-12? I thought those looked like seeds. I wasn't going to pick seeds ...

My thoughts are...first I stressed them with light leak or too much heat/hum, or whatever caused them to hermie, so they started producing pollen sacks, as soon as I saw those sacks I started pinching them off, during my daily inspections, everywhere I found them...but I obviously missed a few, because I found a couple open. And a few days later, during my daily inspections, I started noticing what looked like seed pods. I picked a few of these at first so I could look inside, they are seeds. Now I've left the seeds alone. I figure they aren't making the pollen sacks anymore because they know there are seeds growing. If I pick the seed pods off I'm afraid she'll start making pollen again, and I don't want that.

I know I'm rambling. :sorry: I need to talk this thru because I really don't have a clue. Both of my grows have been experiments to me, and each has given me different challenges.

Give my best to Jo...hope yall didn't have to go to emergency...that's never fun.

:green_heart:

I should have realized earlier that Murphy had you. All the signs where there.
I was thinking about another lady.....Granny420 that had a big room full of hermies and she pinched them all off. Ramble all you want....like you said, you have to think it through. Glad you got a light...that's a good store.
Jo slept all night.
:Namaste:

Let the seeds go, seeds are good to have. They may even be femmed if the pollen came from the other plant.

Let the seeds go, seeds are good to have. They may even be femmed if the pollen came from the other plant.

Hey OG,

Nice to see you again.

Ok, I'm new so let me see if I get this right.

Some (growers) say seeds from a hermie are unstable, you shouldn't use them, basically because the plant was stressed into producing it's own seeds and those seeds won't necessarily be female, and if you do get a female plant to start, it may turn hermie anyway.

But your saying if the pollen from wwA pollinated wwB, that those seeds are more likely to be female? Is that right?

Why?

How is it that growers get all/mostly femme seeds? What is that process, do you know? I'm lost on the whole genetics thing.

sqwheels that is why I buy some of my seeds...?
Your plants are looking sweet leave the sacks, they wont hurt shit, all most all my W/W had them and there were from Female Seeds the company and yes they were female seeds all so...
I would leave them and if you see a pod of 2 or more on a stem below the bud, then yes cut them off...
let them go you wont find any seeds...
you have done a really good job keep up the love and they will love you back @ the end...:circle-of-love:

MV... :popcorn:

Yep, I've got seeds, quite a few of them actually. I just finished daily inspection...no pollen pods today, but like I said I can now see lots of seeds developing. Some of them have hairs and the casing is split so you can barely see inside a white seed. I know because I have picked a couple just to see what was inside. The seeds right now are completely filled with clear oil. I haven't found any more that look like bananas inside.

Is there a way to tell during development if a seed will be femme? Could that be why some of them have hairs and others don't?

Or maybe that's a maturity thing. Maybe they get hairs and split open the older, more mature the seed gets.

Also I think I forgot to mention my observations about those pollen sacks...I never found them in the upper branches, only on the bottom half of the plants...and closer to the stalk, not all the way out to the end of the branch. And always just under the bud b4 the leaf stem.

Don't know if any of that means anything or not, just thought I'd share :)

Thanks to all for the input, and for listening to me ramble...

i cant really say much on that issue wit the hermie seeds, all i know is that i have 2 females now sitting outside, they are beautiful and healthy!!! growing just nicely!!! but i will keep you updated if they start to go herm on me!!! IMO i dont see the bad in herms at all so far, and i have not heard anything bad except for the seeds, when i smoked that sack of the Afgoo where my seeds came from, it was a really great high!!! i was totally blown away that it was that good!!! so i thought to myself then that im gonna have to plant some seeds, then after seeing that video that i posted here... so far females, lets see what happens with my GDP seedling!!! its on day 9 today!!! so we have to wait a while!!!

:peacetwo:

I agree with MV 100% - despite the setbacks you've done a great job. I would continue to pinch off any obvious male parts, and leave the rest be. You'll still have some great homegrown meds, even if you have to pick a few seeds out.

Personally, I probably wouldn't use the seeds for future grows unless that was my only option, or I had room to experiment by adding one or two to a grow with some other verified stable genetics. (I'd be worried that the genetics are compromised and have a greater tendency for hermaphroditism.) BUT - I would save some for experimenting or if I had a hard time getting other seeds, etc. That's just my take on it. :)

MV's right - you've done a good job so far. Stuff happens. Think of all you learned for next time.

Hey OG,

But your saying if the pollen from wwA pollinated wwB, that those seeds are more likely to be female? Is that right?

Why?

How is it that growers get all/mostly femme seeds? What is that process, do you know? I'm lost on the whole genetics thing.

That is indeed one of the ways fem seeds are created. If the pollen comes from the same plant they are not guaranteed to be female (or stable). If the pollen comes from the other female plant they should all be fem. Another way is to induce the female plant to become hermie(male pollen) through the use of chemicals (believe a silver solution on the branches, but didn't check)--not my cup of tea.

I prefer regular seeds and just dealing w/ the males. I also like using stable genetics like the Pure and Original from the Flying Dutchman and just making my own seeds. Inbred strains (landrace strains in most cases) will breed w/ fewer phenotypes, ie more stable. DJ Short has a book on breeding. No groundbreaking ideas but gives the general drift of things.

i cant really say much on that issue wit the hermie seeds, all i know is that i have 2 females now sitting outside, they are beautiful and healthy!!! growing just nicely!!! but i will keep you updated if they start to go herm on me!!! IMO i dont see the bad in herms at all so far, and i have not heard anything bad except for the seeds, when i smoked that sack of the Afgoo where my seeds came from, it was a really great high!!! i was totally blown away that it was that good!!! so i thought to myself then that im gonna have to plant some seeds, then after seeing that video that i posted here... so far females, lets see what happens with my GDP seedling!!! its on day 9 today!!! so we have to wait a while!!!

:peacetwo:

Hi Astonr,

I don't think there's anything wrong with the hermie either, other than picking out the seeds. I'm sure the meds will be good, they look good, smell good, nice and sticky and stinky...I'm sure I'll be happy with the end result.

Good Luck with those females you got going right now, they look good. Glad to hear you got your lighting issues under control.

Well roll with it, get what you can save some seeds and do a new grow... :hmmmm:
Really thats all you can do but you still did a good job thats how I see it... :welldone:

MV... :yummy:

Hi MV,

Thanks for the encouragement. Will definately be rolling with it. And experimenting with the seeds I get. Like someone much wiser than I once said to me... the more you grow, the more you know. Thanks OMM.

I agree with MV 100% - despite the setbacks you've done a great job. I would continue to pinch off any obvious male parts, and leave the rest be. You'll still have some great homegrown meds, even if you have to pick a few seeds out.

Personally, I probably wouldn't use the seeds for future grows unless that was my only option, or I had room to experiment by adding one or two to a grow with some other verified stable genetics. (I'd be worried that the genetics are compromised and have a greater tendency for hermaphroditism.) BUT - I would save some for experimenting or if I had a hard time getting other seeds, etc. That's just my take on it. :)

MV's right - you've done a good job so far. Stuff happens. Think of all you learned for next time.

Hey Xlr8,

I'm listening, and learning. That's my plan exactly. Let them finish, save seeds for future experiments, and start a new grow.

Crap occurs, that's for sure...I don't think I'd call them setbacks, but certainly challenges, but I can't really complain, look how much I've learned with just 2 grows, I can't wait to start another.

That is indeed one of the ways fem seeds are created. If the pollen comes from the same plant they are not guaranteed to be female (or stable). If the pollen comes from the other female plant they should all be fem. Another way is to induce the female plant to become hermie(male pollen) through the use of chemicals (believe a silver solution on the branches, but didn't check)--not my cup of tea.

I prefer regular seeds and just dealing w/ the males. I also like using stable genetics like the Pure and Original from the Flying Dutchman and just making my own seeds. Inbred strains (landrace strains in most cases) will breed w/ fewer phenotypes, ie more stable. DJ Short has a book on breeding. No groundbreaking ideas but gives the general drift of things.

Hi OG,

Thanks for the info, I don't know what I would have done without all the great people and advice I've gotten here @ 420mag.

I haven't looked into seed companies, because clones were so easy to come by, and cheap in comparison to seeds, but I'm gaining confidence, I may try a grow from seed next time.

Hi Yall,

It's Monday again, time for a weekly update...It's now 40 days @ 12/12

Overview Pic, wwA has got a mean lean going, I may have to stake her before she's finished. wwB, still a little smaller than her sister but looks just as good.
DSCN01913.JPG

Cola A - This one is about 12" now
DSCN01922.JPG

Cola B - This one about 10"
DSCN01945.JPG

A couple of bud shots, they all look pretty much the same. Getting sticky
DSCN01975.JPG

DSCN01956.JPG

This is a pile of leaves I picked a few days ago, sorry, the focus is bad
DSCN01785.JPG

They really haven't changed that much since last week, I haven't had to move the light in several days. I've recently stopped feeding the CannaFlores. According to their recommended feeding schedule, they are only getting Boost and CannaZym from here on out.

I think that's a good thing...

If you look close you can see how the leaf tips are turning brown. I think some of this may have something to do with nutes. And some of it is from chaffing. They touch and rub each other raw in the breeze. I'm having to use three fans on them to get the temp down to 88 degrees. That's the best I can get it, we've had days and days in the 90's. And nights in the mid 70's. That's just not normal for MI.

Current room conditions are... RH is about 60% first thing in the morning and drops to 45-50% later in the day. The daytime temp has hovered right around 90 for days now. And the nighttime temp is about 80. I may have to limit future grows to the winter months. It was much easier to regulate the conditions.

The trics are mostly cloudy now, I think they should finish up in a couple weeks. I'll keep watching for the trics to turn amber. Last time I waited until they were about 60/40 cloudy/amber. I read somewhere here that the more amber trics the heavier the high. I prefer not to be stuck on the couch so to speak.

Thanks guys, for all your help...As always all comments are welcome. :circle-of-love:

Happy Growing Everybody

Back
Top Bottom