Stanks Go Perpetual In 2018!

it did not get as much light as it should have. If I were to do it again I would give at least 20 gallons and see what one would do.

They definitely want more light, and no outside auto will ever do as well as one under 20/4 lighting. I am experimenting this year with starting them under 20/4 and then transferring them to natural light at (approximately) 13/4 hours daylight. But, the sun clocks during the day and exposure changes so you never really get the "full" daylight...but there is something really beautiful about a plant basking in the sun :hug:

All autos operate on an internal clock, and generally they do not veg long enough to even max out a 10 gallon yet alone anything bigger. 7/10 gallon is their sweet spot (imho).

What would happen if I put a worm from my back yard in my medium ? Running synthetic nutes

Red Wrigglers are totally diff than earthworms. They stay in a finite space and work the medium. Earthworms will escape...or die trying!

Red Wrigglers are totally diff than earthworms. They stay in a finite space and work the medium. Earthworms will escape...or die trying!
Thanks guys just was curious thank you

Geez! I’d been catching up and collected a few quotes to converse with and then my phone dies...!

Can’t go back and do that again... so...

@Blew Hiller - thanks for your detailed responses on all the worm business! Excellent share
:thanks:

And Van, couple of questions if I may..,
Do you brew the teas when you’re doing the EWC tea? I’m hoping there’s a way I can do it without the brewing or need for air stones etc.

And... I didn’t go back far enough to see... what’s wrong with your blue dream? :eek: Just saw you mention you’d learnt a lesson there... wondering what that could be...:hmmmm:

Hey Amy, sorry for the slow response.....I seem to be fighting some of the gunk that is floating around.

First question....I brew the tea with a small pump and airstones. You could use gallon jugs and put the stuff straight in the jug and shake several times to aerate it. Take the cap off after you shake so you can get fresh air in there and then put the cap on before you shake it. Do the shaking 5-6 times throughout the day.

About the Blue Dream.......well she was extremely happy and healthy and she showed the first sign of becoming root bound in its 2 gallon pot after about 3 weeks. I wanted to try and get her to the 4 week mark in the 2 gallon pot. 4 days later, I realized I should have listened to Ms Stank again when she told me to up pot. Now the plant is fighting to become un-funkafied from its pot issue.

My lessson learned is to not try to make the plant fit my schedule.....instead start actually listening to the plant and Ms Stank. If the Blue Dream is anything like the Nukehead and Stankberry, it will take another week to unfunkafy itself.

I noticed that during flowering it accumulated a lot of crap on it. I will give mine a bath after I am done with this quick run. I am thinking that I need a bigger one in the main tent. I am running a 4" can fan wide open and it hasn't been an issue But I like the idea of a spare. How long did you let yours run before it became clogged?
I guess that its been about 7 months or so. As soon as I took off the pre filter, it was pulling air through fine.

I have washed this one a couple times but I also ordered 2 replacement. I think I will just start making it a quarterly maintenance thing I incorporate into my schedule. Remove it, replace it with a clean one and then clean the one I took off for use after the next cleaning/replacement.

My humidifier clogged mine up pretty quick. Like 4 months
Yeah I have been wondering if the humidifier is responsible for any of it.....but when it started blowing air out easily after removing the pre filter, I assumed it was a filthy prefilter.

Now an update to the small tent carbon filter. I removed the pre filter off that one and its still not sucking anything through.....so I have to tear it apart and test to find if the fan is still working correctly or if its the actual filter that is clogged up. Gotta wait til 10pm for the lights to come on though.

I would suggest larger pots...7 or 10 gallon for outdoor autos.

Dobe....I second this. Smaller pots outdoors dry out WAY TOO FAST!! Smallest pot I would ever grow cannabis in outdoors is a 7 gallon, regardless if its auto or photo.

I tried growing some tomatoes last year in the same pots I grow cannabis in. Those tomato plants dried out damn near every day. They would be hurting come 4 or 5 pm and need water immediately. One thing you could try to do is wrap the pot in straw as a form on insulation. Most pots are dark and they will cook the roots of your plant if you use smaller pots that are dark.

First off, VS, if I end up derailing your journal too much, I won't take offense if you tell me to take a hike! :D

I think I might ask - the nearby garden center has some salt of the earth types who likely won't take any offense at the question, and I'm legal medically but it's also being legalized recreationally here this summer. They'd be smart to have their people in a position to answer these kinds of questions.

I was thinking 3 gallon because I expect the autos to run for about 3 months, and have heard 1 gallon per month as a basic recommendation. Do you think otherwise @Blew Hiller? I threw it out there to get feedback such as this. My only frame of reference is photos in coco indoors, which is a completely different ballgame.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I'm completely neutral going into this, not really tied to anything other than using autos to neatly define the timeframe.

First off Dobe, never worry about derailing my journal. Anything, short of personal attacks on another member, is fine to me and Ms Stank. On topic, off topic, life, growing, family, friends, whatever.....we don't wrapped up about "this is my journal, don't post stuff in it". If you have questions, we have the right audience, please ask away! If no one here knows the answer, we can all try to figure it out together.

About the 3 gallon size, read my above post that talks about outdoor sized pots in the sun.

From what I have heard about with autos, they tend to be triggered to flower when they become root bound. So if you want larger girls I would go with atleast 5 gallon pots. That is just me though. I have only done one auto outside and it turned out pretty terrible. It did not care for the soil it was in and it did not get as much light as it should have. If I were to do it again I would give at least 20 gallons and see what one would do. Thats just me though :)

I don't know about what causes to triggering in autos. I know the Jack Herer Auto I am growing is a bit over 30 days old and not showing any pistils in its bigger pot. Now if I was growing outdoors.....autos I would probably do at least 15 gallons simply for the soil temperature. For photos, I would probably only grow in 25+ gallon pots. People really under estimate how hot the sun can make outdoor containers get. Bigger pots help to stabilize those temperatures in the root zones.

Blue Dream Veg Day 40

Well we have discussed a little about what's going on with this girl. My stubbornness (the Dutch side of me) caused this issue. To recap for anyone just joining us....the plant was showing signs it needed to be up-potted and I didn't listen. I watered with ACT after the first showing of those signs and I saw a slight improvement and though I would be able to get another week in that size pot. The next day, the plant resumed showing its unhappiness in its 2 gallon pot. I transplanted it into her 10 gallon pot the next day but the stunting had already set in.

She has been looking like this for about 5-6 days now. The roots on this plant were highly developed and definitely looked very root bound. I am confident that in another week, she will grow right out of this delay and be back to her beastly self.

But the lesson has been officially learned. Ms Stank and I were talking about just up potting after 3 weeks in the 2 gallon pots going forward as well as up potting at the first sign of being root bound.

On a side note, we were kind of tricked by the plant and pot with this girl. Its the first time we used the black 2 gallon pot that has the 4 cut outs down on the bottom. I was waiting for roots to show themselves at those holes....but they never did. When I pulled the plant out of the container to look at the roots, I discovered the roots grow UP and AROUND the opening. I had a hard time believing she was root bound when I couldn't see any roots. Again, lesson learned.

Northern Lights Veg Day 11

The roots on this Northern Lights were primed for up potting last night so we knocked that out and got her into the 2 gallon pot. I will not be making the same mistake with her that I did with the Blue Dream. Three weeks from today she will get up potted to a 7 or 10 gallon pot.

So far I am pretty happy with the genetics from Sensi Seeds on this Northern Lights. I haven't figured out what I am going to do with this plant training wise, but I have a couple ideas in mind.

Stankberry Flip Day 4

We are day 4 of 12/12 on this girl. She is growing incredibly fast. She has put on 2 inches in 4 days since going 12/12 and doesn't seem to be showing signs of slowing down. I have starting doing a bit of stalk shaking ala @TheMadDabber style. I am doing this to try to strengthen up the branching a little bit. I am afraid that she is going to struggle to support the buds.
She is over 26" inches tall from the top of the soil.

She got a nice healthy dose of ACT today. The smells are really starting to develop nicely but I can't put my finger on how I would describe them. No signs of pistils yet.....but assuming things hold true to previous grows, we should have pistils in 4 or 5 more days. My only complaint about this girl is how fast she is growing. Height is going to be an issue!

Hey Amy, sorry for the slow response.....I seem to be fighting some of the gunk that is floating around.

First question....I brew the tea with a small pump and airstones. You could use gallon jugs and put the stuff straight in the jug and shake several times to aerate it. Take the cap off after you shake so you can get fresh air in there and then put the cap on before you shake it. Do the shaking 5-6 times throughout the day.

About the Blue Dream.......well she was extremely happy and healthy and she showed the first sign of becoming root bound in its 2 gallon pot after about 3 weeks. I wanted to try and get her to the 4 week mark in the 2 gallon pot. 4 days later, I realized I should have listened to Ms Stank again when she told me to up pot. Now the plant is fighting to become un-funkafied from its pot issue.

My lessson learned is to not try to make the plant fit my schedule.....instead start actually listening to the plant and Ms Stank. If the Blue Dream is anything like the Nukehead and Stankberry, it will take another week to unfunkafy itself.

Thankyou sir - I’m gonna try that!

Hope you manage to keep the lurgy mostly or completely at bay! Not much fun feeling I’ll...

Ahhh yes... ms stank knows best! :battingeyelashes:

Stank berry has a nice structure. Should yield well. Your Northern Lights looked like mine did in veg. Short compact little suckers but then in flower and after defolation they evened out. They yielded the most out of anything else in my grow.

I think I am am going to get some more pre-filters. I thought about cleaning it before I put these last 3 plants in there but I didn't. When they are done I will clean it out or replace it. I guess it's not something you think about until you have an issue and then you palm plant yourself in the forehead.

Exactly, and thats why I am ordering a couple....I figure if I just make it a part of a quarterly maintenance schedule, I will hopefully prevent any future palm plants to the forehead. I seem to do that enough without any additional help LOL!

Quick question: Who here washes their buds post harvest? I am asking because every cannabis crop I ever grew (since Jan 2017 :)) I washed the buds in lemon/baking soda. Problem is, I don't really smoke so I'm a bad judge of the pros/cons on the finished product. But I give it away and ask for feedback. And, of course, I have the "connoisseur" friend who is continually telling me there is diminished "taste or smell". I tell him is it washed. He never heard of that. His "guy" (who he buys from) is a "pro" and has never washed and his buds taste and smell better. So, thoughts please.

Back
Top Bottom