Stem and stalk turning dark help!

would probably ph to soil rules.

this chart may help explain ...

the chart is specifically for bottle nutes.
you can ph your mix no problem. won't affect the feed at all. you probably only need a 1/2 dose of cal-mag to correct the rest.

Alright I’ll change that with the next grow. Had a guy at a hydroponics store tell me to mix 20% coco in with my soil and worm castings.
If the sales guy sold you the Pro Mix HP and called it soil then there is a problem. If you called the Pro Mix the soil you would be using it is very possible that he thought you were already planning on mixing a mineral soil with your Pro Mix and worm castings. In other words he was not on the same page as you.

Good thread. My plants pick up darker stems as they age. Some strains faster than others. As some have already mentioned the strain genetics often have something to do with it.

Have fun with your grow.

I didn’t get the pro mix hp from him, so he wasn’t aware I was using hp pro mix.
It happens a lot. I think a lot of us visit and patronize more than one grow shop. It is at the point where I have a notebook with my soil recipes and soil mixing notes in the truck. It helps put the salesman or woman on the same page when I mention what I am looking for and why.

Enjoy your day.

When you mix other stuff in with the ProMix what you've done is lower the ability of the lime in the ProMix to buffer your pH, which is why pH'ing your nutes is necessary, where it isn't in straight ProMix. Since you have a hybrid mix of stuff in there I'd aim for the low 6's as Noob and Reefa suggested.

ProMix is considered soilless, just for the record (though it is not hydro at all). Soil mixes are humus-based, and ProMix is peat-based.

I never said you where wrong !
Not you ... others advised you not to add it. It's the most common cause & adding some Cal Mag to find out if that cures your problem will not hurt your plant a bit. 90% of the time it's the 1st thing you try. I've found the lack of Cal Mag in my nutes makes adding a little more almost a necessity during my grows (soil or Coco). There is some in your nutes ... but usually not enough for later stages of growth.

Ya I hear ya, I added a bit more to my nutes. They seem happy just not happy with my 2000w light lol. I’m 30 inches away and they are still complaining

What are they doing when you say they are complaining? The TSL 2000 looks like it's perfect for that tent. Does your light have a dimmer switch? Mine are TSW 2000 & they have one. It's under the white rubber plug on the ballast on mine. I have to use a small screwdriver to adjust it. If it's heat can you remove the ballast from the light & set it outside the tent?

Hey, I have them dimmed down to 50% or less and the ballasts are on the outside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
I still use AN in coco because I had a lot of it and I had coco still on hand. I haven't switched over fully to DWC on all my plants yet. Even though AN coco says it has extra cal-mag in it I have always had to run and extra 1.5ml per gallon with it to prevent deficiency under LED's. The PH correction aspect of AN is hit and miss depending on the buffering chemicals in your local water source. My water source is a bitch to break the buffers down. I have to add ph down to the water when I agitate it over night before adding nutes to keep it stable. Otherwise the PH will climb the longer it sits.

in his original post he was concerned about the purple stems , calmag will Not fix purple stems and branches only phosphorus can do that , calmag deficiency is a yellowing between the veins at the start of deficiency and more to the middle to the top of the plant , phosphorus is moblie nutrient hence the purpling all over the plant .

Any thoughts on this ? I switched to flowering tent and it seems like the plants are using up there own nutes and the leaves are fading. I haven’t started 12/12 yet. Still on a feeding schedule and I added a bit more cal mag. The temp is 24 degrees Celsius and humidity is at 50RH.

Attachments

• 1CE5E4E9-7D74-4E91-AE2B-AC1213EED361.jpeg
    1CE5E4E9-7D74-4E91-AE2B-AC1213EED361.jpeg
    761.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 34889275-A381-4A7A-B65D-2CC78731B94C.jpeg
    34889275-A381-4A7A-B65D-2CC78731B94C.jpeg
    828.4 KB · Views: 44
I don't see any Red / Purple on any leaves. Just in the stems. The only thing I see with the leaves is some Taco-ing from it being a little too hot. The chart that has been posted shows that a Mag def. can cause Red Stems so how can anyone say Cal Mag can't possibly fix the problem ? Not saying it can't be something else at all; because it can. But adding more of something else can cause bigger problems if it's not a "P" issue. Adding Cal Mag will not hurt it unless you go way overboard with it.
I know using Cal Mag has cleared up Red Stems for me in the past so that's all I can go by. Also when I read Plant symptoms & problems on 420 or Grow Weed easy it also shows that an Mg. def. can cause Red Stems.
Not looking for an argument with anyone. Just don't think adding Cal Mag should be ruled out completely until it's been given a shot.

Back
Top Bottom