Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

if you prefer a little Thai to a big African thats your personal taste my friend.

Got something else (one seed :( ) that's supposed to be all African, so was looking for something with much Thai influence to go with it. No big deal, it'll still work, there.

I keep wondering how TS can make a statement like that

Bad day, I guess? But I meant medicine, not the industry that controls it. Remove both the profit motive and government interference from the healthcare industry (other than general - and genuine - public safety stuff), and things will change. Meds would still cost money (research isn't free), but that money wouldn't be getting split between however many people can buy into the company. Regulations... Okay, lots of people take multiple prescriptions (for the same or for a combination of issues). Many meds these days have fillers in them, in addition to the active ingredient(s). For several reasons, I suppose - but one is to discourage people from using them illicitly (grinding/snorting, etc.). Some of the things classified as fillers are pretty harsh in high doses (and aren't exactly gentle as a lamb in moderation :rolleyes: ) . So an old fart takes, IDK, four or five different meds per day, maybe one or two of them have multiple doses. Seven days per week. 52 weeks per year - that's a lot of what's likely to be one or two ingredients (in addition to the actives), because a lot of the filler is the same from pill to pill. Lots of them contain acetominiphan, for example. There was one, I don't remember for sure what it was, some kind of synthetic morphine-type, IIRC. Seemed like people might... snort it, I think? So the manufacturer added something to it to make that practice counterproductive (and, apparently, both painful & prone to "glue" one's sinuses shut, lmao). I think I read whatever the additive was, it wasn't beneficial, either.

Now, IDK... We've got "motorcycle helmet" laws and we've got "seatbelt" laws, I suppose. Motorcycle helmets - some argue that common sense ought to be the only law we need (along with whatever it was that Darwin observed ;) ), but aside from that, people are either for them or against them. Well, I understand the whole individual's rights thing and all. But if I'm riding at 60 MPH and a wasp - or locust or other sizable insect - impacts against my face shield, I'm going to be inconvenienced. If, on the other hand, that SoB hits me in my eye, I'm a collision in progress for sure. That could affect other people, yes? Okay, then. But seat belts - especially for the driver - OtOH... By the time my seat belt was choking me, lol, I was already out of control (as was the vehicle :p). Once it kept me "at the wheel" when what I've always assumed was a tornado blew an old beater wagon I was driving off a road, down a hill, and back onto it - but I wasn't ready to drive off immediately anyway; I probably could have been thrown onto the mattress in the back of it and still driven off with about the same delay that time, heh. Normally seat belts have been crash damage protection for me. That's purely personal choice (and evolution in action:yahoo:), IMHO. I'm for laws that... Major stuff, infrastructure protection, public safety, armed forces, you know, things mentioned in the Constitution. Common sense stuff? No. Things that, if you actually were born too dumb to automatically process correctly, someone in your town explaining things to you (possibly with a mild beating to accompany the explanation, if necessary), you can manage? Not so much. Anything that, if you actually tried to think about it as a serious question and one of the responses that occurred to you ended up being, "Duh!" then... No. And here's one, how about laws telling us that things already considered to be crimes due to other laws... are against the law? Yeah, me neither, IDFK how these things happen. You can't regulate stupid - but you sure can vote it into office :rolleyes: . And these laws that have some kind of dumb-@ss name made up of the first letters of other words, most of those are, well, f*cked in some way or other. People, wow, there must be a non-insignificant chunk of the population that votes according to what a bill/law is called, WtF(?!). And the words that make up some of those names, whew - they often don't have much at all to do with the proposed law, do you suppose someone thought, "I know, let's call it <BLANK>! Now, quick, someone give me a list of words that begin with each of these letters."

You can't... You can't regulate stupid. I mean... you can try. You can spend all kinds of money on it, yet, still... Stupid is unstoppable. I'm not defining stupid as a lack of intelligence, exactly. That's different, IMHO. If a person just doesn't have enough functioning brain cells for them to understand that feces go in specific places, where home is, or even just how to function in society, you can deal with that. Stupid is, IDK, a basic lack of any kind of survival instinct, maybe? It's someone that stands in four inches of water to work on live electrical components. It's the guy that sees a train coming and thinks, "That b@stard will stop for me; everyone always does." :rofl: Things like that, and many, many more. Evolution. We've made it difficult for evolution. We collectively invented something called modern medicine. Keep saving these stupid <BLEEPS>. Oh, look, it's Jimmy. How ya doin', Jimmy? Did several days in a decompression chamber teach you not to try to ride airliners for free by holding on to the landing gear at takeoff, lol? Yeah, I guess you'll live long enough to breed (more?), then :( . But evolution, it's pretty resilient, really. A species can putter along for millions of years, stuck in the same old rut, then seemingly overnight evolution steps in and things happen. Of course, a species has to actually last that long, so... You can choose for breeding partners, people do it all the time with other species (plant and animal). They say they don't do it for each other - then they turn around and appear to choose for stupid. Others figure they'll wait for a better time or something, attempt to think things through. More and more of them are encountering issues from lower fertility to genetic issues. Maybe the really smart should breed with the stupid, LMFAO? <WALKS AWAY SHAKING HEAD AND MUTTERING>.

Where was I? IDK. Where were you, lol? IDK that, either. Let's see...

but I feel his frustration that his body appears to be throwing in the towel.

Well, it's been a rough... <SHRUGS> something. While. Trying to rebuild is the same, or nearly so, regardless of what it is that you're... trying to rebuild. Entropy; everything continues to degrade and fall apart even as you try to repair/heal it. I'm not as old as all that, but I'm at the age where some of the obituaries were my contemporaries. Maybe it's time to start paying attention to more than just today (or even... tomorrow). GrumbleGrumble...

Just as a reference as to why this pops into my head. I have seen, on many occasions, particulates floating in plastic water bottles that have been in storage for too long. Cases of water left in storage that got frozen over the winter and by summer...floaties.

Interesting. Calcium carbonate?

The sweating, warming, and cooling of the plastic may be breaking down the material (on a very small level) and making it a part of the cob.

Seems like the temperatures involved are a little low for that kind of chemical change to occur (at least in synthetic material).

I once collected all the juice that sweats out from the cobs (I had 3 in the same bag)
It was a lovely amber color and I thought this has to be the essence of cannabis. I evaporated it off to get a resin.
It did nothing at all it was just water and color pigments all the goodies remained inside the cob.

Makes sense, since the cannabinoids aren't water soluble. I don't know about the terpine content.

In this picture the darker cob is the first one, made with wet buds after being washed and hung for four hours.

I forget what you wash/rinse them with. Refresh my memory, please? Does some part of it involve baking soda and/or H₂O₂?

I’ll be flying out on the 16th

Oops, I meant to wish you good luck with that! Well, I hope you had a safe journey :thumb:.

I can't be the only one among us who'd love the chance to do one in the traditional manner, just for the comparison, eh? There's got to be an energy that comes from burying them in Mother Earth

I've been wondering if burying them in different soil content / ratio / water content / climate / et cetera in more traditional semi-permeable setups would show different results. Also if significant pH differences have any effect, or adding... IDK, lime or lye or something, or...

Like I said I have done it. I was not getting the yields I needed to make it worth it.

I've read comments like that a few times about this strain. Maybe huge root space combined with hydroponics (and, of course, lots of intense light) is needed to really get good numbers with it, IDK.

It is going to be hard to work my way through my seed stash flowering out 6 plants at once and keeping clones lol. I need to find people to take some of my keepers so I can try to find more

Mothers & "immature" (not currently flowering) plants and non-flowering clones of same don't count against your plant total, do they?

You can use them for cooking. Steamed rice in banana leaves or fish works well.

Hmm... I went to this restaurant, they must have been from somewhere hot, lol, because it was in the dining area; I'd hate to be in {that plus multiple cooking devices} trying to work. Anyway, they had some things on the menu that were served in grape leaves, if memory serves.

Multiple layers of cannabis leaves, perhaps?

I've read comments like that a few times about this strain. Maybe huge root space combined with hydroponics (and, of course, lots of intense light) is needed to really get good numbers with it, IDK.

Mothers & "immature" (not currently flowering) plants and non-flowering clones of same don't count against your plant total, do they?

?

Im not sure. I may try them again at some point now that I found the seeds at a US seed bank and do not have to have them shipped from the UK any more. IDK though due to the over abundance of seeds and the plant limit. If I were to get seeds of it for free I would run one, but I do not see it happening.

Well there is a count for flowering plants and then a count for "mature" vegging clones (ones over a certain height OR width) which is the same amount as the flowering ones. Then you can have as many immature veggers or seedlings as you want. Which is counter intuitive given that they will out grow that stage before one is able to finish the ones flowering or get the mature veggers into flower. Its kind of a shitty system really. They never take into account people that run full out lol.

Got something else (one seed :( ) that's supposed to be all African, so was looking for something with much Thai influence to go with it. No big deal, it'll still work, there.

Bad day, I guess? But I meant medicine, not the industry that controls it. Remove both the profit motive and government interference from the healthcare industry (other than general - and genuine - public safety stuff), and things will change. Meds would still cost money (research isn't free), but that money wouldn't be getting split between however many people can buy into the company. Regulations... Okay, lots of people take multiple prescriptions (for the same or for a combination of issues). Many meds these days have fillers in them, in addition to the active ingredient(s). For several reasons, I suppose - but one is to discourage people from using them illicitly (grinding/snorting, etc.). Some of the things classified as fillers are pretty harsh in high doses (and aren't exactly gentle as a lamb in moderation :rolleyes: ) . So an old fart takes, IDK, four or five different meds per day, maybe one or two of them have multiple doses. Seven days per week. 52 weeks per year - that's a lot of what's likely to be one or two ingredients (in addition to the actives), because a lot of the filler is the same from pill to pill. Lots of them contain acetominiphan, for example. There was one, I don't remember for sure what it was, some kind of synthetic morphine-type, IIRC. Seemed like people might... snort it, I think? So the manufacturer added something to it to make that practice counterproductive (and, apparently, both painful & prone to "glue" one's sinuses shut, lmao). I think I read whatever the additive was, it wasn't beneficial, either.

Now, IDK... We've got "motorcycle helmet" laws and we've got "seatbelt" laws, I suppose. Motorcycle helmets - some argue that common sense ought to be the only law we need (along with whatever it was that Darwin observed ;) ), but aside from that, people are either for them or against them. Well, I understand the whole individual's rights thing and all. But if I'm riding at 60 MPH and a wasp - or locust or other sizable insect - impacts against my face shield, I'm going to be inconvenienced. If, on the other hand, that SoB hits me in my eye, I'm a collision in progress for sure. That could affect other people, yes? Okay, then. But seat belts - especially for the driver - OtOH... By the time my seat belt was choking me, lol, I was already out of control (as was the vehicle :p). Once it kept me "at the wheel" when what I've always assumed was a tornado blew an old beater wagon I was driving off a road, down a hill, and back onto it - but I wasn't ready to drive off immediately anyway; I probably could have been thrown onto the mattress in the back of it and still driven off with about the same delay that time, heh. Normally seat belts have been crash damage protection for me. That's purely personal choice (and evolution in action:yahoo:), IMHO. I'm for laws that... Major stuff, infrastructure protection, public safety, armed forces, you know, things mentioned in the Constitution. Common sense stuff? No. Things that, if you actually were born too dumb to automatically process correctly, someone in your town explaining things to you (possibly with a mild beating to accompany the explanation, if necessary), you can manage? Not so much. Anything that, if you actually tried to think about it as a serious question and one of the responses that occurred to you ended up being, "Duh!" then... No. And here's one, how about laws telling us that things already considered to be crimes due to other laws... are against the law? Yeah, me neither, IDFK how these things happen. You can't regulate stupid - but you sure can vote it into office :rolleyes: . And these laws that have some kind of dumb-@ss name made up of the first letters of other words, most of those are, well, f*cked in some way or other. People, wow, there must be a non-insignificant chunk of the population that votes according to what a bill/law is called, WtF(?!). And the words that make up some of those names, whew - they often don't have much at all to do with the proposed law, do you suppose someone thought, "I know, let's call it <BLANK>! Now, quick, someone give me a list of words that begin with each of these letters."

You can't... You can't regulate stupid. I mean... you can try. You can spend all kinds of money on it, yet, still... Stupid is unstoppable. I'm not defining stupid as a lack of intelligence, exactly. That's different, IMHO. If a person just doesn't have enough functioning brain cells for them to understand that feces go in specific places, where home is, or even just how to function in society, you can deal with that. Stupid is, IDK, a basic lack of any kind of survival instinct, maybe? It's someone that stands in four inches of water to work on live electrical components. It's the guy that sees a train coming and thinks, "That b@stard will stop for me; everyone always does." :rofl: Things like that, and many, many more. Evolution. We've made it difficult for evolution. We collectively invented something called modern medicine. Keep saving these stupid <BLEEPS>. Oh, look, it's Jimmy. How ya doin', Jimmy? Did several days in a decompression chamber teach you not to try to ride airliners for free by holding on to the landing gear at takeoff, lol? Yeah, I guess you'll live long enough to breed (more?), then :( . But evolution, it's pretty resilient, really. A species can putter along for millions of years, stuck in the same old rut, then seemingly overnight evolution steps in and things happen. Of course, a species has to actually last that long, so... You can choose for breeding partners, people do it all the time with other species (plant and animal). They say they don't do it for each other - then they turn around and appear to choose for stupid. Others figure they'll wait for a better time or something, attempt to think things through. More and more of them are encountering issues from lower fertility to genetic issues. Maybe the really smart should breed with the stupid, LMFAO? <WALKS AWAY SHAKING HEAD AND MUTTERING>.

Where was I? IDK. Where were you, lol? IDK that, either. Let's see...

Well, it's been a rough... <SHRUGS> something. While. Trying to rebuild is the same, or nearly so, regardless of what it is that you're... trying to rebuild. Entropy; everything continues to degrade and fall apart even as you try to repair/heal it. I'm not as old as all that, but I'm at the age where some of the obituaries were my contemporaries. Maybe it's time to start paying attention to more than just today (or even... tomorrow). GrumbleGrumble...

Interesting. Calcium carbonate?

Seems like the temperatures involved are a little low for that kind of chemical change to occur (at least in synthetic material).

Makes sense, since the cannabinoids aren't water soluble. I don't know about the terpine content.

I forget what you wash/rinse them with. Refresh my memory, please? Does some part of it involve baking soda and/or H₂O₂?

Oops, I meant to wish you good luck with that! Well, I hope you had a safe journey :thumb:.

I've been wondering if burying them in different soil content / ratio / water content / climate / et cetera in more traditional semi-permeable setups would show different results. Also if significant pH differences have any effect, or adding... IDK, lime or lye or something, or...

Hmm... I went to this restaurant, they must have been from somewhere hot, lol, because it was in the dining area; I'd hate to be in {that plus multiple cooking devices} trying to work. Anyway, they had some things on the menu that were served in grape leaves, if memory serves.

Multiple layers of cannabis leaves, perhaps?

...:rofl::hmmmm:...:high-five:...cheerz...h00k...

Oh TS, you had me howling with laughter. :rofl:

I wash my buds with a dilution of H2O2, a 32-oz bottle to 5 gallons of water.

I forgot to stop and mention the cob bits I got from Doob. :slide: He treated me to a sample of his 1024 cob for my first full day in San Diego that was so delightful I made sure to grab another slice to take with me. Then this generous soul also shared a piece of the OG Kush cob (I might need to sleep at some point :rofl:) and a slice of the hybrid, who’s name I can’t recall. The bite is two floors down and I’m too comfy up here watching the surf. :battingeyelashes:

I haven’t had a chance yet to try the hybrid or indica samples yet. I’ve been sailing along on his 1024 brownies. Lol! When I get to them I’ll post my impressions.

How was the 1024 at three weeks, you ask?

I found it energetic. It gets me moving, and at one point about two hours in it cleared my sinuses. Lol! Good stuff Doob. :high-five:

I made my 2 cobs today. Ayahuasca Purple and GigaBud. Sticky Messes! I love it. I used a bamboo roller, fresh organic corn husks 1 day dry, Butcher's twine. I vacuum sealed them and put them in the food dehydrator on 105°F. I'm going to run them for 24 to 30 hrs.

This food dehydrator has a setting for 95°F. I think I'm going to crack it open to get around 86°F and do the second phase that way. ES

I made my 2 cobs today. Ayahuasca Purple and GigaBud. Sticky Messes! I love it. I used a bamboo roller, fresh organic corn husks 1 day dry, Butcher's twine. I vacuum sealed them and put them in the food dehydrator on 105°F. I'm going to run them for 24 to 30 hrs.

This food dehydrator has a setting for 95°F. I think I'm going to crack it open to get around 86°F and do the second phase that way. ES

Yours is probably better than mine but my dehydrator’s settings and reality are vastly different. On mine 95° is much closer to 80°. To get to 104° I use about 125° setting.

Oh TS, you had me howling with laughter. :rofl:

I wash my buds with a dilution of H2O2, a 32-oz bottle to 5 gallons of water.

So basically just water, then, lol? IMHO, people should change that ratio slightly - to all H₂O₂, or near enough as makes no difference for the agar cobs. Won't be nearly so many gray/white spots in the pretty pictures of them, then.

Best to dry it slowly you can not guarantee no mold if its wet. It will still age nicely dried you may like it at the point in the cure it is at.
Any Pics?

Have pics of cob after 1 week ish of cure. No signs of mould, although I pulled cob from zip lock bag and have cured out of bag. Smell is acidic but not rancid or unpleasant. Smokes well and pleasant cerebral high. Here is where I am going to diverge from you guys and use this as an experiment. I am going to re-cure/hydrate part if cob with some tangarine I have, then reseal and cure.
View media item 1549422
View media item 1549423
View media item 1549424

Interesting Besmirched. Will you be sending it through another sweat and fermentation cycle?

I forgot to stop and mention the cob bits I got from Doob. :slide: He treated me to a sample of his 1024 cob for my first full day in San Diego that was so delightful I made sure to grab another slice to take with me. Then this generous soul also shared a piece of the OG Kush cob (I might need to sleep at some point :rofl:) and a slice of the hybrid, who’s name I can’t recall. The bite is two floors down and I’m too comfy up here watching the surf. :battingeyelashes:

I haven’t had a chance yet to try the hybrid or indica samples yet. I’ve been sailing along on his 1024 brownies. Lol! When I get to them I’ll post my impressions.

How was the 1024 at three weeks, you ask?

I found it energetic. It gets me moving, and at one point about two hours in it cleared my sinuses. Lol! Good stuff Doob. :high-five:

Unfortunately, I was unaware that they have checpoints at the border with dogs, so before we got that far on our journey I dumped the cob pieces with the rest of the cannabis goods I had with me. You know what? Prohibition sucks!

So basically just water, then, lol? IMHO, people should change that ratio slightly - to all H₂O₂, or near enough as makes no difference for the agar cobs. Won't be nearly so many gray/white spots in the pretty pictures of them, then.

I believe the dilution is adequate TS. I don't remember who told me, but I remember trusting him when he did. :battingeyelashes: The little gray/white spots are usually trichomes catching the light or pieces of stem that look odd at this point. After they let go of more moisture that changes in appearance.

Sounds like you are doing great, Shaman.

Keep going.

Cheers,

A food dehydrator makes this pretty easy. Can't wait to try them. Next grow more will be dedicated to this product!

Unfortunately, I was unaware that they have checpoints at the border with dogs, so before we got that far on our journey I dumped the cob pieces with the rest of the cannabis goods I had with me. You know what? Prohibition sucks!

I hope you buried them for pick up on the way home plus a little more cure cant hurt :)

Interesting Besmirched. Will you be sending it through another sweat and fermentation cycle?

Most definitely, hence the use of an acidic fruit, my go to recure fruit is Apple. The acidity should stop any mould spore from maturing.

I could be persuaded. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I use the FoodSaver unit.

I'm not frightened at all TS. It'll be vacuum sealed for the cure. That'll remove any problems with mold.

:rofl:

Absolutely, it's a good thing. Sweet was the overriding reaction. Just as Tangwena prepared me for. She said it smelled more potent.

You are correct TS. The fermentation process does something I don't yet understand. The cure is where is really transforms.

So....here I am 7 hours later, just coming back down. Right after I posted last the energetic side of the cob hit me. Now I understand what Tangwena was talking about. I spent the afternoon speeding on Malawi. On Malawi. :slide: What a wonderful day. I cleaned the tent I harvested yesterday, transplanted and flipped two plants, and I believe I did it in record time. Lol!

Then I went out walking with my good friend, buzzing along. Yep, I could get used to this. :battingeyelashes:
"Sold" you have definitely sold me on COBs, thanks Sue Page 17 sold me on page 1 Thanks again for a great read.

Back
Top Bottom