The Fat Ladies In The Cathouse

Is sohum difficult to use? Isnt that the soil where it say just add water?
Hi @New2this420, how you doing? Sohum is about as easy to use as it gets. Yes, you can indeed simply water it and it will do just fine. The only thing you have to be careful about is starting seeds in straight Sohum, as it is too "hot" for some strains. I usually start in a Dixie cup of Fox Farms Happy Frog/Ocean Forest, and then transplant into the Sohum. In my pots I tend to fill the bottom 2/3 with all Sohum and the top 1/3 with a mix of Sohum and regular soil. In my experience it is as close to "set it and forget it" as can be, lol.

Morning Farmer! I love your pics, do you have a freaking racetrack on your property?

I'm in the burbs of Cincy, lots of my friends went to OU back in the day and I loved going up there. You're carrying on a fine tradition! Some of the best weed I've ever smoked was grown in Meigs County 40+ years ago. In fact the single best weed I ever bought was from there and simply called Sinsemillia, which I'm pretty sure means something like 'without seeds'. I'm guessing it was 79 or 80. It was the first weed I ever bought without seeds. We couldn't understand how that was even possible lol! It was also the first time I ever paid $100 for an ounce. That's probably comparable to prices now when adjusted for inflation. It was worth every penny. First of all it didn't have any seeds! I never weighed them but they had to account for a few grams of weight.

Seeds have gone the way of pay phones. It used to be a ritual. The first thing you did when you got weed was take a double album, I always used the Beatles White Album lol. You'd open it up, put the weed on the sides, and sift it back and forth so the seeds collected in the middle at the fold. It was rarely buds, just dry flower and leaf parts and lots and lots of seeds.

I realize now it probably could/should have dried a little longer, it was incredibly sticky. It was so much better than anything I'd had before, we were bummed when we could never get it again that's for sure.

You could try calling Dayton Hydroponics, which is actually in West Chester lol. I think they closed their original Dayton store. They don't have Sohum but they have other living soils and may be willing to ship. Great guys.

For those unfamiliar with Ohio, which is probably almost everyone, it's mostly flat and blah. However Meigs County and that SE part of the state is totally different, very hilly and beautiful. One day my browser, which randomly posts beautiful nature pics from around the world, featured a waterfall in Meigs County.

Do you have any Amish around you?

Have a great day and keep those awesome pics going!

Howdy Neighbor @Farmer Reading ,

Throwing good vibes your way from the southwest of the state to your right (not WV). :rofl: You are going to knock this one out of the park also.

I was thinking about giving Sohum a try and maybe will fill the tent with color this time. I need to think about it, because DWC can be a real pain keeping the solution cool for the summer. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing the response of DWC, it's just a pain in the butt during summer.

Since, I was lucky enough to win a ( Medic Grow Fold 8 ) the LED of my dreams too fill my 4x4 tent. I want to do something special to highlight this product in a very positive way. I will be trying to grow a breast, the only thing is the height of my tent is 80" inches, so I need to figure out the best use of my space. That's way I normally grow DWC, so I can control the height.

Aside from my rambling, I will be following along and enjoying your outdoors grow, because I can't and have to many problems trying to do a gorilla grow again. It can get pretty physical hauling water every day to a grow location.

Best of luck to you this grow, but I don't think you need it.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..

Howdy Neighbor @Farmer Reading ,

Throwing good vibes your way from the southwest of the state to your right (not WV). :rofl: You are going to knock this one out of the park also.

I was thinking about giving Sohum a try and maybe will fill the tent with color this time. I need to think about it, because DWC can be a real pain keeping the solution cool for the summer. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing the response of DWC, it's just a pain in the butt during summer.

Since, I was lucky enough to win a ( Medic Grow Fold 8 ) the LED of my dreams too fill my 4x4 tent. I want to do something special to highlight this product in a very positive way. I will be trying to grow a breast, the only thing is the height of my tent is 80" inches, so I need to figure out the best use of my space. That's way I normally grow DWC, so I can control the height.

Aside from my rambling, I will be following along and enjoying your outdoors grow, because I can't and have to many problems trying to do a gorilla grow again. It can get pretty physical hauling water every day to a grow location.

Best of luck to you this grow, but I don't think you need it.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..
Hi @Tokin Roll - I have a head's up for you on Sohum which you probably are aware of but just in case...

It is recommended to not begin your seedlings directly in the Sohum. Even they say so. When I realized that I went on Youtube and found a million videos of how people overcame that, and after watching many of them I adopted what I thought was a solid one. Indeed, it has worked VERY well for me in Sohum, and thought I'd share it for what it's worth.

- So the bottom 50% of the pot is all Sohum.
- The top 50% of the pot is 75% Sohum/25% Base Soil (FF HF or something like that)
- There is a column down the middle of the pot top to bottom which is filled with straight base soil. That column is about as big around as a nute bottle, which is what I use to create it.
- You begin the seedlings in a Dixie in the base soil and up pot into the Sohum pot when the roots fill the Dixie.
- You can give the seedlings chem nutes for the two/three weeks you're in the Dixie if you like, some do, I don't.
- Once you up pot there are no more nutes except for any microbial additives you wish to add
- I also layer my Sohum pots with bokashi and frass and some extra perlite, preferably #3 as the stuff in the Sohum is very small and it gets a bit compact by itself

This mitigates the "over hotness" of the Sohum relative to seedlings and you up pot a solid little girl into her, and once you do, within a few days, they just take off. As soon as all the feeder roots get into that Sohum, they start feeding microbially and forget all about any chem nutes you may have used while in the Dixie. It also keeps the tap root in base soil until it gets all the way down, which apparently helps not "burn" her while she's transitioning into the Sohum. And of course there is no need to Ph, the column of base soil in the middle is irrelevant in that regard.

If you search Youtube you'll easily find many of these type of videos, some of which have people who actually explain in scientific language why to do it this way or some version of it.

Only other thing I've noticed is that Sohum sometimes needs a little help around post stretch to maybe halfway through flower. If you get a particularly hungry strain or plant they can drain it by then. The bokashi/frass in the soil plus the teas I give of it help a ton in that regard, and I've also added a shot of GeoFlora bloom nutes as a late top dress feeding. Usually you can tell easily if you begin to see lower leaves cannibalizing themselves earlier than you would expect.

So there's two cents on Sohum for you for what it's worth!

Sorry I'll try to get up to date on folk's journals and this thread.

Breaking Ground.
(full disclosure---the pics. are from last Wednesday)

A few weeks ago I dug this hole.
Some of the below picks outline the process of well digging a hole.
My conservation field has an endless supply of rocks/stones, which picking them up is an eternal and feudal struggle.
I killed two birds with one stone by utilizing the rocks/stones at the bottom of the hole.

Placed my soil on top for it to settle for a week or two.

A picture of some of the landscape.

Note the soil settled quite a bit over a couple weeks.
When all is said and done this hole will have between 35 to 45 gallons of soil.

The plant is a clone from last year's outdoor grow that probably took roots in August.
Over the last ten months she has lived in a 2 gallon cloth pot and she has been flipped to some capacity four or five times. The last time she was pulled out of 12/12 about four weeks into flowering.

I attempted to drive between these old split tanks that were converted to swine breeding stock shelters.
Normally my Gator can break through most small to moderate sized invasive vegetation.

When ya throw in some good ole fashion barbed wire the results are not promising.

Anyway due to my super mega stupidity I was closed lined by some barbed wire that one of my father's hired hands failed to clear (by my calculations about 25 to 30 years ago) once this became a discontinued hog lot.

My left hand got beat up pretty bad and I have a pretty cool scar underneath my right jaw.

Initially after the accident I just noticed bleeding and the severity was unclear. The flap of skin underneath my right jawbone beneath my mouth was quite disconcerting. Applied pressure to my wound with my shirt. Once I realized most of the bleeding was from my hand my concern waned.
Plus most barb wire doesn't have very deep hooks as to eliminate excessive damage to the wayward farm beast.

Breaking Ground.

Gorgeous. Death Pass, eh? Spoooooky! So the rocks at the base of the plant - are they just to help you locate it in the field?

Gorgeous. Death Pass, eh? Spoooooky! So the rocks at the base of the plant - are they just to help you locate it in the field?
Death pass is a line of invasive vegetation in a field---can't think of the name of the tree/bush things---that should provide me with a solid, seclusive place to grow a couple more girls. The invasive growth is attributed to years of mismanagement.

Once my pops stop utilizing the field as a breeding lot he never did anything with it. Personally pressed for planting Walnut trees, but my father told me that if he chose to leave the field to me that I could plant whatever I wanted to plant.

Now it one of my siblings who ain't that great at managing stuff, so I am going to add some utility to the situation. lol.

The covering rocks are mainly to deter critters from digging/badgering (no badgers in Ohio, I think) my girls and as a general protection barrier.

They certainly make an excellent marker for finding my girl(s) in a 100+ field.

Although all my girls come equipped with GPS grown into their roots;)

Is sohum difficult to use? Isnt that the soil where it say just add water?
Thanks for stopping bye @New2this420

Use Sohum as a benchmark to my homemade super soils.

I find it to be pretty N sufficient, which makes sense to give young plants a jolt.
(Per @Jon do not start seeds or seedlings:( even though the homepage of their website may indicate)

I burned five out of six seeds when attempting to use it as a starter.

Indoors it worked very good and outdoors it worked Greeaat.

When using it I start with very low concentrations with seedlings and high concentrations once I place the girl(s) in their final home.

As far as super soils go it is about as good as any---note it doesn't have magical powers.
Still it is good to monitor your girls and apply natural amendments as needed.

Actually I just ordered a couple bags along with a jewelers loop, new trimmers, and a drying basket (I don't need) for under a bill thanks to free shipping.

Shopping cart
Product imageDescriptionQuantityPrice
vs-1_31f8cde5-eeb2-4464-9503-030c9f0f0f72-sw_small.png

Sohum Living Soil | High Times Award Winner | Just Add Water | 1.5 cu ft2 Bags1$78.95
harvest-pack_1-sw_small.png

Happy Hydro | 2 Tier Drying Rack Bundle | Trimming Scissors | 30x/60x LED Loupe
  • TOTAL DISCOUNT ON PRODUCT (-$4.99)
1$24.95
$19.96
Scroll for more items
Cost summary
DescriptionPrice
Subtotal$98.91
ShippingFree
TotalUSD $98.91

Death pass is a line of invasive vegetation in a field---can't think of the name of the tree/bush things---that should provide me with a solid, seclusive place to grow a couple more girls. The invasive growth is attributed to years of mismanagement.

Once my pops stop utilizing the field as a breeding lot he never did anything with it. Personally pressed for planting Walnut trees, but my father told me that if he chose to leave the field to me that I could plant whatever I wanted to plant.

Now it one of my siblings who ain't that great at managing stuff, so I am going to add some utility to the situation. lol.

The covering rocks are mainly to deter critters from digging/badgering (no badgers in Ohio, I think) my girls and as a general protection barrier.

They certainly make an excellent marker for finding my girl(s) in a 100+ field.

Although all my girls come equipped with GPS grown into their roots;)
Thanks!!! And yeah, I've heard about these photo/GPS hybrids that grow a chip in the roots. Supposed to change the taste a little I heard. Right now they're working on crossing autos with Bluetooth, to try and make autos that'll play music for themselves.

:rofl:

Initially after the accident I just noticed bleeding and the severity was unclear. The flap of skin underneath my right jawbone beneath my mouth was quite disconcerting. Applied pressure to my wound with my shirt. Once I realized most of the bleeding was from my hand my concern waned.
Plus most barb wire doesn't have very deep hooks as to eliminate excessive damage to the wayward farm beast.
Wow, are you okay?
Did you go have your neck/hand looked at?

I love that starter you placed in the field. :rofl:

The journal name should be titled--- "I Am a Lazy Pothead who Procrastinated until my Outdoor Pot Plants were in Late to Mid Flower to Start my Journal".

This year I have five outdoor girls. Four plants located in an abandoned cat cage and one girl located out in an old ancient hog lot---back in the day people bred and even farrowed piglets outside--where an old wooden hog box set for decades. The abandoned cat cage is pretty awesome, but the location(s) are about 80 miles away.

I have done a shitty job of tracking my strains; positive that I have at least one Expert Haze girl, pretty sure I have at least one girl that is Crop King Crown Royale, probably a Nichole Kush, possibly a Tropicana Cookies, and possibly another strain. Between looking at the plants, seed records, and genetics the proper strain identification can be obtained.

Popped my girls between late January and mid March. One plant was up potted up to a five gallon, three up potted to threes gallons, and one transplanted from a 20 oz. cup.

Soil medium homemade super soil and one plant in Sohum Super Soil---additionally river gravel, pea gravel, standard gravel, and cedar mulch were used at the base and tops of holes. One of my plants has my dead dog underneath it. I manually dug holes with hand tools between 25 to 60 gallons.

Fed my growth nutrients once or twice after transplant depending upon when the girls were transplanted (June 2nd to June 20th). The only other supplement has been a sugar based product.

My basic goal of the journal is to document the final stages of my outdoor plants and hopefully get help from better cultivators than me on how to finish the plants all the way up to a finished flower. Hopefully provide some entertainment.

This is Fern Cave, because there are ferns on top and sorta around the cave. The only thing this has to do with the grow is that Fern Cave and my Cat Cage are located in the same state. Fern cave is located one mile north of the Ohio River in one of my small forests located near Pomeroy, the county seat of Meigs County. Cloudy white water steadily flows into a small creek at the base of the hill where the forest sets. The cloudy water is a result of coal mining completed by folks that are now ironically in the early stages of becoming coal.

During my sabbatical from reality a few years ago I acquired this property hoping to grow weed on top of the hill, thus launching/making Meigs County the Napa Valley of weed (mania is fucked up). Fortunately for me timber prices are now near an all time high, so now my timber would pay for the property. There are three caves on the property and for some reason that is cool.

View media item 1841521
This is my best tree (the tree with the big canopy) a hundred plus old year red oak located about five minutes hard walk from Fern Cave. Trees can teach us a lot about how to grow weed.

View media item 1841522
A couple pictures of the hog lot where one of my girls is located.
The cover is very diverse with several ecosystems in the immediate area.
Quite often I get lost looking for my girl.

View media item 1841523
View media item 1841524

The first picture is of a really cool looking willow species and the second pictures does a great job of demonstrating how my girl naturally blends into her rural environment (using the same willow species).

Finally my girl Sunny Stems, you may notice how she is in a hole. She isn't a giant or naturally impressive outdoor plant, but I am proud of her. She was planted on June 25th and lived about 2 1/2 months in a 20 oz. pot. This was my smallest hole. Didn't dig too deep, because I was concerned about too much water from the big low place in the ground. This resulted in her enduring some heavy heat stress in veg. The last photo shows her base stems. Based upon my research is from sun exposure.

Finally a fuzzy picture of the Cathouse; I will introduce these girls later. Sleep time.
Farmer Reading….grabbing a line here…looking forward to catching up…love the nature shots upfront. Cheers

Additional turning of the soil pile. Need to start moving some soil over to my outside grow region.

Amendment(s): asylum compost-three bags (used it to make a trench around parts of the pile), cypress mulch---two bags, composted horse manure---one bag, rice meal---two quarts, soybean meal---one gallon, molasses---three quarts, gypsum---one quart, and dolomite lime---one gallon.

The application of about 3 pounds of gypsum per 100 lbs. and 3 pounds of dolomite lime per 100 lbs. eliminates calcium and magnesium deficiencies. Composting/amending with gypsum and dolomite lime early in the process seems to be very advantageous.

I think this is kinda cool. The compacted soil is kinda like veins of coal.
Once harvested it brakes open all fluffy kinda like wet coco coir.

Vegging clones from last season's crop. Planning on using a couple of these for outdoor grow this season.

Clones in flower with around a month to go or a little less.

Ms. Floppy

Ms. Starkiller

A few pics. of Troppi

Loving that Troppi S, or is it Troppy, or is it Troppi TP? Is that all the same plant or three different ones that just look similar?

Sorry I'll try to get up to date on folk's journals and this thread.

Breaking Ground.
(full disclosure---the pics. are from last Wednesday)

My conservation field has an endless supply of rocks/stones, which picking them up is an eternal and feudal struggle.
I killed two birds with one stone by utilizing the rocks/stones at the bottom of the hole.

Placed my soil on top for it to settle for a week or two.

A picture of some of the landscape.

Note the soil settled quite a bit over a couple weeks.
When all is said and done this hole will have between 35 to 45 gallons of soil.

The plant is a clone from last year's outdoor grow that probably took roots in August.
Over the last ten months she has lived in a 2 gallon cloth pot and she has been flipped to some capacity four or five times. The last time she was pulled out of 12/12 about four weeks into flowering.

I attempted to drive between these old split tanks that were converted to swine breeding stock shelters.
Normally my Gator can break through most small to moderate sized invasive vegetation.

When ya throw in some good ole fashion barbed wire the results are not promising.

Anyway due to my super mega stupidity I was closed lined by some barbed wire that one of my father's hired hands failed to clear (by my calculations about 25 to 30 years ago) once this became a discontinued hog lot.

My left hand got beat up pretty bad and I have a pretty cool scar underneath my right jaw.

Question: Why pull a plant in and out of flower and back to veg repeatedly like that? I am not seeing the point, cuz I'm a dummy. Is there some advantage to doing this I am unaware of? (likely) Why not just keep it in veg till you toss it in the field?

Question: Why pull a plant in and out of flower and back to veg repeatedly like that? I am not seeing the point, cuz I'm a dummy. Is there some advantage to doing this I am unaware of? (likely) Why not just keep it in veg till you toss it in the field?

I was wondering the same thing!

The shots of your spread are amazing. Super happy for you. Can't imagine the joy you must feel every morning just to wake up and look at that.

I was thinking the same thing!

Thanks for the tag, @Farmer Reading,...wow. Very interesting situation and call. Seems you have newly emerging white pistils, which would certainly indicate they may indeed have some more oomph! in them. That said, the sugar leaves are done and you won't generate any new ones, so one wonders how much power it can really put to extra trichome production. Hmmm....thanks for sharing. I honestly don't have a clue what I would do in your situation, but it's fun to watch you figure it out. Lol. I kind of like the idea of harvesting at least a top or two now, so that you can compare when it's all said and done to the others and test that way as well?
Scope the trichomes for ripeness…looking good Farmer R…cheers

Morning Farmer! I love your pics, do you have a freaking racetrack on your property?

I'm in the burbs of Cincy, lots of my friends went to OU back in the day and I loved going up there. You're carrying on a fine tradition! Some of the best weed I've ever smoked was grown in Meigs County 40+ years ago. In fact the single best weed I ever bought was from there and simply called Sinsemillia, which I'm pretty sure means something like 'without seeds'. I'm guessing it was 79 or 80. It was the first weed I ever bought without seeds. We couldn't understand how that was even possible lol! It was also the first time I ever paid $100 for an ounce. That's probably comparable to prices now when adjusted for inflation. It was worth every penny. First of all it didn't have any seeds! I never weighed them but they had to account for a few grams of weight.

Seeds have gone the way of pay phones. It used to be a ritual. The first thing you did when you got weed was take a double album, I always used the Beatles White Album lol. You'd open it up, put the weed on the sides, and sift it back and forth so the seeds collected in the middle at the fold. It was rarely buds, just dry flower and leaf parts and lots and lots of seeds.

I realize now it probably could/should have dried a little longer, it was incredibly sticky. It was so much better than anything I'd had before, we were bummed when we could never get it again that's for sure.

You could try calling Dayton Hydroponics, which is actually in West Chester lol. I think they closed their original Dayton store. They don't have Sohum but they have other living soils and may be willing to ship. Great guys.

For those unfamiliar with Ohio, which is probably almost everyone, it's mostly flat and blah. However Meigs County and that SE part of the state is totally different, very hilly and beautiful. One day my browser, which randomly posts beautiful nature pics from around the world, featured a waterfall in Meigs County.

Do you have any Amish around you?

Have a great day and keep those awesome pics going!
Well…you echoed my old stoner musings on the end of killer Columbian Gold and Red fully seeded at $40.00 an oz. and just spectacular. I could go on about that run from early high school through the drought of 1980. Coke was the new commodity and the DEA crushed what was left of the Columbian weed supply backbone. For us in mid Michigan sensi…better known as skunk hit the market at…wait…$300 an oz. In 1981. It was huge leafy fluffy insanely frosty buds…one oz. Filled a quart baggie. The Columbian THC was about 14%…contrary to BS reports that your parents weed was weak. My first experience with skunk was picking someone up in my 69 malibu and we all smelled it instantly. The THC must have been 20% and we were blown away. It was mostly sold by the gram and eighths, but was well received. A game changer. I found out later it was grown quite locally and saw the original lights in storage many years later. Hats off to those pioneers. Cheers. PS…my double album seed tray go to was Lynyrd Skynyrd One More From The Road. Cheers

Sorry for my lack of updates/responses---been feeling a bit Depressed the last week.
Should feel really happy that I still have my head on my shoulders.
A little bit of cycling and depression is quite contained.

Heading out to the farm this morning to do a bit of work.
Extracted/mined some soil from the pile focusing on the center.
Where I plan to place this soil at the bottom of the pile, since it should be very rich.
You can't see it in the pic, but there was some steam rolling out of the pile.
Pretty cool, since I haven't done any amendments or intense turning for about a month.

Back
Top Bottom