Should’ve looked like this when you were done..
AF0C8D43-D467-4537-BC7E-BCE5D709ABD9.jpeg
2015D888-0B1C-43A0-B970-E3B51D8AE8AA.jpeg

I get it though cuz I was rough with this one, however, only the outer shell cracked on this one and not the xylem and phylum
93F4BC26-7ADD-4101-A369-084F934F3313.jpeg

Even still there was only an overnight recovery required. It makes me think you were either way more violent, or you were trying to force the rest into line, or the timing you chose impacted your plant recovery.

Here’s the plant before bed after SC
C3478FCC-32BC-4B3C-AE65-72DFAA8C1899.jpeg

Here it is the following morning
61B4D8DF-55CF-4472-8501-6F109F203B54.jpeg

And here it is that afternoon
C3EA3973-23C5-4FC2-B64D-DA017552D43D.jpeg

Everyone is up and realigned.
It’s like topping and transplanting, when you nail the technique and timing there’s almost no recovery.

Personally I think amputating the plant mid flower is going to be way more damaging and violent than just super cropping it. The only way I’d choose amputation over super crop is if it was a popcorn branch or wasn’t going to last through flower any way.

You know how I feel about cutting my ladies though so there’s that lol.

Re: space, that’s a good point. You have to prepare for the space the SC is going to take up.. If you’ve got other plants you can move in or are waiting to move in then amputation is probably best, because otherwise, SC of a main stem will take up an obnoxious amount of relative space. However if you only have the plants you have and it’s an emergency, it’s an amazing technique that I will incorporate into my tool kit

I’m actually probably going to use it on vegging plants much more frequently now that I know it can be done painlessly and quickly. I do however struggle with cropping my leaves. Something about the petiole makes it difficult for me to weaken it without breaking it.

Do you just use your fingers?

I've had good luck pressing the stem around a round object like a stick pen cap and I know @Stunger uses pliers wrapped with tape.

I did use just my fingers.. I wanted to be able to feel it as I was doing it. Although I can see how using one of those methods would be much easier. It’s a fine line between weakening the stem and crushing it, and some extra leverage would likely make it a lot simpler. I was also nervous my fingernail would accidentally cut in or slice it

I did use just my fingers.. I wanted to be able to feel it as I was doing it. Although I can see how using one of those methods would be much easier. It’s a fine line between weakening the stem and crushing it, and some extra leverage would likely make it a lot simpler. I was also nervous my fingernail would accidentally cut in or slice it
I broke too many stems just using my finger so now use the pen cap. I press the stem gently against the cap and roll the cap under the stem until I feel it give.

You were too rough with her.. Must’ve gotten excited and forgot what I said lol.. When I said go slowly and it will take at least a minute I meant a literal minute of slowly working it.. it will feel like you’re not doing anything to it at all up until all of a sudden she just sort of gives, then you can start really working her. You were way too violent and twisty.

Also, most of the nodes don’t need to be SCd if you’re doing the main stem. If you’ve still got stretch time left they will realign themselves. At most you may have to bring one down slightly just to keep it even. This is likely what caused your excessive recovery time. Both of my plants completely realigned and recovered over night.

How far along into flower were they when you SCd? Perhaps this has an impact on your recovery as well.

imagine that.. you being too violent and aggressive.. interesting 🤣
Oh I worked it, quite hard actually. I had it soft enough to easily mush for a 4" span.

My plan was to bend it around a jar to stop it from doing what it did, but it still had bones inside.

I thought, "Well I don't really like this plant anyways, and I have crushed it a lot, maybe this is normal."

I guess I should have actually crushed that area down to complete jelly.

I doubt I will supercrop a main stalk again, but if I do I will use pliers and really crush that sucker.

I chose to twist every node back to perpendicular because otherwise you end up with a low hanging branch. Their productivity is never close to the dominant one across from it on the upside, even with training, so I normally prune the low hanging branches, just as I do in a scrog.

Its recovered now, but my real issue is that the supercropped top now covers the floor space where my 4th pot was to go, so topping would have given me more productivity overall.

This 10gal is probably going to the worms when The Mutant gets old enough, I just planted it to see how well it would work to drop a clone into a large bottom-watered pot. That part was a huge success.

Today is day 12 of flower so it would have been day 9.

Maybe supercropping a stalk 3/4 of an inch thick was too much? I bent at least 2 feet of her over.

I learned a lot from her though, and an early demise so I can check her rootball just as stretch ends will tell me a lot about cloning into a bottom watered pot. I need that knowledge before I start my next Durban grow.

The little pots will stay, but they are almost 3 feet tall so I doubt they will make it thru 10 weeks of flower.

Or I could go top the big girl now and flower her, freeing up room for The Mutant.

Or I could flower out the big plant and ditch the 2 small ones, but then I won't know if bottom watering makes soil go farther, and if so, by how much.

Decisions decisions...

I think I want to see her roots. You don't get to see healthy roots mid grow very often. For now though I want to watch her recovery.

I also think bottom watering, because its passive, will make soil go farther than top watering. I want to find that out.

lol so much for me taking a winter off🤣🤣🤣🤣

Taking time off always leads to me doing more 🤣

While working her down I had to stop at multiple points and smash the stem a bit more. She would only give a few degrees at a time until she passed 65-70 then she dropped into 90 degrees.

It sounds like you may have hurt her feelings at an inopportune time and she decided to let you know. It’s definitely a no other choice rescue tactic when in flower that requires timing so you don’t end up squandering those stretch days. Day 9 may have been a bit early, although some may find themselves with no choice.

The space is my number one complaint about it. You’re left with a large gap you could fill with a whole plant. Even if you angle the super crop just right you’re always going to be left with an area that’s got minimal production happening. This is why I view it in flower as a no choice rescue. I can see using it in Veg as a training move but it’s gotta be done early enough to be able to fit a space.

Taking time off always leads to me doing more 🤣

While working her down I had to stop at multiple points and smash the stem a bit more. She would only give a few degrees at a time until she passed 65-70 then she dropped into 90 degrees.

It sounds like you may have hurt her feelings at an inopportune time and she decided to let you know. It’s definitely a no other choice rescue tactic when in flower that requires timing so you don’t end up squandering those stretch days. Day 9 may have been a bit early, although some may find themselves with no choice.

The space is my number one complaint about it. You’re left with a large gap you could fill with a whole plant. Even if you angle the super crop just right you’re always going to be left with an area that’s got minimal production happening. This is why I view it in flower as a no choice rescue. I can see using it in Veg as a training move but it’s gotta be done early enough to be able to fit a space.
Yeah I agree. In veg it would be a great way to build a scrog, or whatever training you need. It was a space requirement for me.

She was 4 feet from soil line to top, with 16" of pot under that, and 6 inches of perlite below that, so she was a 6 footer and she was still stretching like crazy.

Its definitely an outdoor strain🤣🤣

And yeah, It was likely me not getting it right.

That nasty cracking sound....

Won't do that again😪

20230318_125740.jpg

108 grams of all sorts of lesser pheno's and experimental weed all getting frozen so I can crush it into meal for the worm farm.

The worms require their cut🤪.
I wonder if they have THC receptors, what a treat for them if they do!

20230318_173151.jpg
20230318_173233.jpg

1.6gal, still stretching.

20230318_173339.jpg
20230318_173328.jpg

This one too.

Looks like a sister or cousin of mine.. Crazy stretch with huge nodal spacing.. they look like they could produce a pound on each axial branch if they were outdoors.

Looks like a sister or cousin of mine.. Crazy stretch with huge nodal spacing.. they look like they could produce a pound on each axial branch if they were outdoors.
They really do look similar don't they. The nodal spacing is crazy on this pheno. Outdoors it would have been a huge tree.

Back
Top Bottom