The Jerky Box Project: OG Kush & Haze 2.0

hey hey everyone, @Jax Rider grab a comfy beanbag and howdy.....

So I was in @Boatshoe place and he was discussing placing branches in his hole prior to filling with soil mix, now I've read a couple of the older journals where folk do this.
Now would I be correct in thinking that would work as a natural SIP container in Mother Earth.
@lazyfish would you know anything bout this, @MaddHacker maby you sir...?

Permaculture magazine

This is what you're doing basically. Tried it in our veggy garden, very good for trees so far but takes a year or 3 to properly work.

thankyou kindly mr.N .

Morning Smeegs, I dont know if I understand what you are asking.... Are you asking about sticks in the whole and covered in dirt as a possible grow spot ?? Or are you talking about transplanting a tree or bush ??? Or ??? Green am for ya Smeegs.

there you go mr.H now we both have a better understanding, sticks in the hole covered by soil mix as a living function in the soil... permaculture..... some reading for later.

Ok now I understand the " official " lingo that describes my former outdoor grows very well... I usually don't ground plant my girls any more, but when I did I used tree bark instead of sticks.... They do provide what I would guess to be a little nutes, however I did it for drainage and water retention... Sounds weird, but works for both... The stick idea I used back in my Camo growing days was in combo with a rock well kinda build, with the sticks across the hole at the bottom, but through the rocks... This would again provide a minimal amount of nutes i would guess, but mostly drainage... I also used fish carcasses under sticks, which made a phenominal difference in the vigor and vegging process as opposed to just adding nutes alone... People would comment from time to time about critters digging for the fish, and I can only say that they never got to mine because of the rock wall structure.... That being said if they did, they definately without a doubt earned it... Learned that method from listening to the older generation when I was younger.... If you find yourself wanting the input of my expertise on Outdoor Camo and other growing sir plz do not hesitate to ask.. This is where my years of experience lie, though I am by no means an expert... To me an expert would be someone who doesnt grow anymore... Why bother if you know everything... I prefer the ups and downs of my and others successes and failures... Learn something everyday right.??? Anyway Green days to ya Smeegs, and all...

Here's a short version:

You either dig a hole or build a mound with large branches / trunks at the bottom. You cover that with progressively smaller branches / twigs and finally you heap a bunch of dirt / soil / compost on it. Then you plant a cover crop and off you go.

The idea behind it is that as the wood slowly rots away year after year the plants growing into it get the nutes but also gets a bunch of air pockets etc. to grow into. It also retains water very, very well so you do less watering. Some guys use this to grow in the dessert. They make 6foot mounds or taller and only water once per year.

I have never done a sip but I have read that thing about the hugelkultur thing. Seems like a great idea. I have been meaning to do it for years and just have never got around to it. I did put a bunch of sticks and leaves and basically made compost at the bottom of the last raised bed I made. I put perennial strawberries in there for Ms fish. They seem to be doing alright. They were finicky to begin with but we did manage to get a handful of berries so far this year.

The wood in the soil will lock up nitrogen as microbes feed, and the wood rots, mostly combining with the carbon I think. Thats one reason you compost trimmings rather than use directly, just adding wood to the soil will need more nitrogen of some kind to balance. In the short term the soil is not better,The nitrogen will still be there, and will be available in later years. It’s part of the nitrogen cycle.

Since i put it below the roots it will provide nice drainage and water retention and lock up nitrogen that might leech down.
As you all said the permaculture and hugel (hill) is similar but much bigger scale.

What is SIP?

Good day Smeegol, I have a journal yea! I'm not very good with technical stuff so I had help from Bonsaiweed. I still don't know how to put sigs in other threads but my sig should be below.
Will have pictures up tonight.

The wood in the soil will lock up nitrogen as microbes feed, and the wood rots, mostly combining with the carbon I think. Thats one reason you compost trimmings rather than use directly, just adding wood to the soil will need more nitrogen of some kind to balance. In the short term the soil is not better,The nitrogen will still be there, and will be available in later years. It’s part of the nitrogen cycle.

Since i put it below the roots it will provide nice drainage and water retention and lock up nitrogen that might leech down.
As you all said the permaculture and hugel (hill) is similar but much bigger scale.

What is SIP?

mr.B, so think raised bed, depth of 4-5ft deep. Seal the inside with builders plastic. Then you cut ribbed plastic pipe and lay it in the bottom, then stones and soil mix on top, you creating a resivoir at the pipe level with an overflow, it forms a wicking action which feeds your plants.

Hope that helps, saw it on utube.

Good day Smeegol, I have a journal yea! I'm not very good with technical stuff so I had help from Bonsaiweed. I still don't know how to put sigs in other threads but my sig should be below.
Will have pictures up tonight.

he's a mighty fine gent @Bonsaiweed, I'll be popping over now now for a visit..

evening guys, not much crazy happening on my side, the girls are doing their thing, a cpl pics....

1st up is Hardy, the runt to start life...
followed by Laurel, who I topped/fimmed which worked, got some scarification from the dimming in the newer sets popping out...

and lastly we have " Gollums Angel " she's just throwing out warped 3 finger leaves and crazy pistils...

have a wonder evening folks..

Whaddup buddy! Glad to see you got them GGa beans lined up. I think them Green Crack you ordered are the same as the ones I just harvested. Amazing daytime meds!

Going to be a happy Smeegs come summer time....[/QUOTE]
I believe you right mr.P, now is that a good influence or bad...?? :passitleft:
Imagine a cross, gorilla crack...lol
Whose gonna do it....lol

Going to be a happy Smeegs come summer time....
Here's a frosty pic from my Green Crack harvest.

Back
Top Bottom