The Mega Crop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
for purposes of clarity, it is primarily non salt based.
That's funny because I would go the opposite way. If you're looking for a non-salt-based nute you would probably be looking for organic fertilizers, ones that won't build up unused salts and excess ions in your substrate. That's not MegaCrop, so I would call it salt-based to avoid confusion with organic nutes.

I'm not sure "primarily" matters in that conversation.

That's funny because I would go the opposite way. If you're looking for a non-salt-based nute you would probably be looking for organic fertilizers, ones that won't build up unused salts and excess ions in your substrate. That's not MegaCrop, so I would call it salt-based to avoid confusion with organic nutes.

I'm not sure "primarily" matters in that conversation.
MC just falls short of the organic nameplate. there are salts in organics as well. the sources are different but they are there. MC relies on a number of the exact same sources.

edit : once again, they drill down on this in the updated site.

remember it's vegan - their term. it is compatible with organics.

Can you use a micron filter sock like is used in saltwater aquariums to remove it?

I considered something like that, but went with the spin down filter instead. It's rated at 80 microns. The two normally open valves in my design above are to backwash the filter to keep it clean. The filter is on the suction side of the pump to protect it as well as the drippers and other down stream components.

I will keep the wave generator I'm currently using. It's function is to put the fine organic particles back into suspension so that I don't get a build up in the reservoir. They should decompose in the coco/perlite, or drain out with the run off.

So I get home from work last night and my two Bday Cake are struggling. Brown spots on some leaf tips but not like nute burn and some leaf curling. Pop my rezzy lids and was greeted by an odor faintly reminiscent of the Atchafalaya swamp.

Roots are fine, no slime. pH was at 6.2. Feeding @ 2g per gallon. Room environment was kosher. Lots of floaties in my nute sauce and slimy bucket walls. Not a problem I usually have.

I immediately dumped my rezzys and cleaned my system. It was while I was sterilizing with my spray bottle of h2o2 that I realized I had skipped this step after construction of the new dwc buckets. I had thoroughly washed everything before puting it into service but not sterilized. So shame on me.

Anyway...Rez change and back to 2g per gallon and 24 hrs later we have this. My apologies for not taking pics last night when it was uglier.

IMG_20200204_172002675.jpgIMG_20200204_172055285.jpg

One thing I changed last night was to raise my light to 36". It was at 24" as I was trying to stack tight nodes. I thought the leaf curl may be light stress.

The plants themselves improved somewhat overnight. At least their condition didn't worsen. I'm not worried about losing them. I'll give things a couple days and see.IMG_20200204_172015024.jpgIMG_20200204_172009398.jpg

Feel free to speculate on possible causes if y'all think I'm missing something.

h202 also will not play nice with MC if you run it constantly as a root cleaner. i used to use h202 in rdwc before hydroguard and z7.

the other two are recommended.

if you are cdn based their may be a question as to whether those products are effective in combination with MC. they have a different cdn formula, and no one has posted their experience with them and MC.

I don't use any rezzy enzymes or additives. Last 5 years this has happened twice now and both times I believe myself to be the culprit. Usually It's just regular Rez changes and no issues.

I had just started them on 2g 4 days ago but I agree they do look hungry.

I don't use any rezzy enzymes or additives. Last 5 years this has happened twice now and both times I believe myself to be the culprit. Usually It's just regular Rez changes and no issues.

I had just started them on 2g 4 days ago but I agree they do look hungry.
you can probably ramp it. i found reading the plant and keeping up with increases the hardest thing from seedling to veg. was always behind.

Noted I'll bump it up to 3g once things are back on track.

h202 also will not play nice with MC if you run it constantly as a root cleaner.
I've never actually applied h2o2 to my plants roots directly. Tbh I'm not a stickler for white roots. Slimy? No way!!! But a bit of color doesn't bother me one bit.

I've never actually applied h2o2 to my plants roots directly. Tbh I'm not a stickler for white roots. Slimy? No way!!! But a bit of color doesn't bother me one bit.

it's an ancient way of doing things... when tutankhamen and i used to do active hydro .. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Any thoughts on running great white with MC? I used to run it a while back when i was battling higher rez temps and loved it. I'm not opposed to adding bennies to my system and running a live environment.

@West Hippie keeps incredibly close track of his grow environment and needs to keep his MC pH in the same narrow range that everyone else in hydro does.

Ditto.

“Ditto? You proverbial putz!” -Hedley Lamar

You bet my rdwc rig is staying in the hydro range as well.

The only thing I haven't liked is that it has never completely dissolved for me, and is clogging my drippers.

Have you took a look at the floraflex drip trays? Dutchman is using them, I’ve started integrating them, I’m sure others have as well. There are different styles in their catalog, but even the ones that use rings should be just fine with your precip.

Some just use straight 1/4” tubing as the end point, which would be right up your alley.

2/4/20 day 5 flower
75° f
36% rh
Made up a 16 gal res of ro
16mls calimagic
32mls silica blast
80gs MC (5g a gal)
32mls hydrogaurd (to keep res cleen)
Total ppm 980
Ph 5.9 (no ph adjustment needed)
So far i really like the megacrop, only had cal deficiency and fixed that as i appeared and has been good sens
20200204_092652.jpg

Any thoughts on running great white with MC? I used to run it a while back when i was battling higher rez temps and loved it. I'm not opposed to adding bennies to my system and running a live environment.

this kind of got missed.. it is best to treat MC as a live environment if you run anything with it. no clue on how the great white lines up with that.

I have a jug of overdrive from advanced nutes it's unopened wonder if I could add to my res along with MC? Id hate to see it goto waste.

i think that one is a no... nitrate / phosphate / sulfate , mag - and potassium.

would run it through with the elemental calculator to keep everything in balance. simply adding on top would run the risk of a pk tox nuclear event...

this kind of got missed.. it is best to treat MC as a live environment if you run anything with it. no clue on how the great white lines up with that.

I asked a similar question, and GLN responded that MC is not a live environment. You can run a res sterile or live, whichever floats your boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom