The Mega Crop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit I am totally perplexed because everyone else seems to be getting great results with MegaCrop but whether I use less than is recommended or more I get the same yellow dying leaves shortly after flipping. I am using tap water and not adjusting pH and using Promix HP.
I have two thoughts besides the natural fade I mentioned in your thread yesterday. If the pH of your medium has dropped (per a slurry test), that will restrict the uptake of certain nutes, including magnesium and potassium. Also, that is an enormous plant in a 5 gallon pot, and I would guess it might be rootbound. Rootbound plants, even in cloth bags, can show deficiencies not seen in a similar plant that is not rootbound, like your smaller ones.

Plants are funny are they not? I try not to recommend anything over what GLN recommends for feeding. Let's say you approach it as a mag def and you're already at 6.5g/gal. The tendency is to add more MC. By doing this you add more NPK all around.
We know that macro and micro nutrients rely on each other for a healthy plant. Too much of one can prevent another's availability, or require more of another. So you have a mag def and you add more N and P because you increased the amount of MC. Both of those elements affect Mg, which means the plant increases the demand for more Mg. It's a vicious circle that needs to be broken.
On the other side, too much P reduces the availabilty of Ca and vice versa. Too much P also reduces the availability of K.

MC is designed, imho, with an imperfect NPK ratio and eventually you're adding too much of other nutrients causing problems.
Growers need to understand this and have the tools to adjust accordingly by understanding how certain elements affect the others.
That's my .02 :)

I have two thoughts besides the natural fade I mentioned in your thread yesterday. If the pH of your medium has dropped (per a slurry test), that will restrict the uptake of certain nutes, including magnesium and potassium. Also, that is an enormous plant in a 5 gallon pot, and I would guess it might be rootbound. Rootbound plants, even in cloth bags, can show deficiencies not seen in a similar plant that is not rootbound, like your smaller ones.

The slurry test I did on the old soil after my OG Kush was finished had dropped down to 5.2 pH which to me does seem a little low so that could be a culprit which is why I was planning on mixing a little dolomite lime in my next grows.

I had considered upping the size of my pots now that I am only flowering two plants at a time but I have reservations about that being the culprit because my plants are good and healthy all through veg and they are about 80% their finished size at that point but yes that could have some bearing. If my Cal mag doesn’t improve things I may try upping the size of my pots.

I found this interesting thread about fading during vegging and it looks like half the people think it’s natural and the other half think it is something to be avoided but they are talking about yellowing in just the last few weeks of flowering but my plants start yellowing just a few weeks into flowering so I think I have more than a natural fading.

Plants are funny are they not? I try not to recommend anything over what GLN recommends for feeding. Let's say you approach it as a mag def and you're already at 6.5g/gal. The tendency is to add more MC. By doing this you add more NPK all around.
We know that macro and micro nutrients rely on each other for a healthy plant. Too much of one can prevent another's availability, or require more of another. So you have a mag def and you add more N and P because you increased the amount of MC. Both of those elements affect Mg, which means the plant increases the demand for more Mg. It's a vicious circle that needs to be broken.
On the other side, too much P reduces the availabilty of Ca and vice versa. Too much P also reduces the availability of K.

MC is designed, imho, with an imperfect NPK ratio and eventually you're adding too much of other nutrients causing problems.
Growers need to understand this and have the tools to adjust accordingly by understanding how certain elements affect the others.
That's my .02 :)
So are you saying instead of just adding more MC add calmag instead?

I'm thinking that in flower the nutrient needs of the plant increase to build the buds, and it might be having trouble keeping up with those needs when it's rootbound. It's just a thought I had when I learned you were in 5 gallon pots.
I see your logic and agree it is a possibility so if calmag doesn't solve my problem I will try bigger pots too. I like to make one change at a time so I know what is behind my results good or bad.

So are you saying instead of just adding more MC add calmag instead?
Exactly, but keep in mind nothing you do by adding supplements will help a plant that is root bound if that's also an issue. I've always felt when you get to 6.5g and the plant is still in def, the thinking has to change. Adding more is not the solution at that point.

Exactly, but keep in mind nothing you do by adding supplements will help a plant that is root bound if that's also an issue. I've always said when you get to 6.5g and the plant is still in def, the thinking has to change. Adding more is not the solution at that point.
Ok, great, thanks for clarifying Sauga. I picked up some calmag today and I am not sure I can turn this plant around this late but I am going to experiment with it on my next two plants. If I can't get things right with my next generation with calmag I will try bigger pots in the generation after that.

i am rootbound by flower. maybe not totally. if there is such a thing in hempy.
try to time it so it hits flower at that point, or actually just before.

it's a real old school habit. hard sided bucket stuff. deep dark ages lol... :)

@Jack420 I understand you've been playing with the nurses at the hospital...twice! I sure hope it's not serious. Sending good vibes your way brutha!
Hahhahahaha yeah couldn’t complain hahahhaha but hope this headache runs with the wind

That is what it looks like to me but I am giving it 9g/gal of MC and conventional wisdom is that upping the MC gets rid of that and the recommended dose is 6g/gal so I don't see how it is but that is about my only culprit left so like I said I am going to buy some calmag today. Thanks Penny.
Dont want to sound like a twat here but that pot for a massive girl like that , could she be root bound Pennywise , Emilya ?.

I am on 2nd feed of Mc for the Los pots at 11g/10L ( proper modern measuring system !!!!.lol) with 10ml of calmag , 10ml Silica. I have been adding a drop of ph down as our shitty water is at 7.3 out the tap and rammed full of crap like flouride,chloramine, chlorine to mention a few and trace element metals. I have used ecothrive Neutralize ( for the bennies in los) to clear the water a bit too. The Los also has had a couple of teas and top dressings of charge and life-cycle prior to starting Mc. I suspect at 3 weeks they are only now becoming active for a 1st run so will be interesting for me to see if all that built up life and MC overdo them. The pale girls have definitely took in some better colour now from the 2 feeds. I think I may be overwatering the soil so am going to let them sit a few days now and only water the coco girls. They are taking a couple of days to dry out without too much runoff so every other day maybe with them. I havent seen any issues so far but am keeping my beady eyes open. Seeing Emilya acing it give me confidence to keep going with the soil ones with it too. love her healthy looking ladies.
Here are my auto girls this am at day 27 since planting seed in the rooting cube.
20191123_102700.jpg
20191123_102630.jpg
20191123_102518.jpg
20191123_102408.jpg
20191123_102401.jpg
20191123_102348.jpg

That definitely could be the entire problem
thinking of the "below as above" logic of squashed root halting feed as they collapse under pressure , killing supply line per leaf set dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom