Tunes420 Try at Hydro 3rd Grow CFL

sure. last pic on previous page i see light green tops and the beginnings of twisting leaves. some woulkd say nutes but if the ph is out its usualy more to do with that. i also see the beginnings of purp stems. so to me when i see more than 1 deff i look at whats going on with my ph before i just dump more food to her.
i am real fussy with my ph and it allows me to give food and lots of it each time...never a need to use plain water. if the ph stays in check with both intake and run off you have way more control over the plant and can feed heavier and get better end results

Great stuff, thanks for clarifying.

i use soiless and ive never needed to do any flushing either , except at harvest of course.

What soil-less mix do you use?

I mentioned the flushing in case someone tries this method and needs to get back to baseline, that you haven't had to is because of your knowledge and experience. Us beginners might need to know how to get back to how it was before we did something bad:).

ss

thanks green acres, setting sun, for even working on questions that havent been answered.

as I ponder a similar method, your advice is invaluable.

This is truly a :nicethread:

Subscribed!

Pun

LOL ...step away for 5 minutes and everyone stops by :) OK ...my fault for not giving info...clones were in soil and did have def problem...i went over that in beginning of journal...it stopped once i went to new medium.....I have 4 to 1 perlite/vermiculite mix i had been setting up one gallon jugs with tap water...about 8.....when i put in my nukes it knocks it down to about 5.5. when i set it up for straight water every other watering (2 days) i knock my tap water down to about same 5.5 with lemon juice. Wasn't sure about nuking every watering....Was my understanding hydro is best at 5-6 ph . Now part i didnt know about was vermiculite and testing run off water. when i tested run off (first to spill out) it was showing around 7.5 on chemical meter. I had not relized vermiculite had a ph value....it was bringing my run off up 2 from what i was pouring into it. So to adjust i thought i needed to bring my ph way down going in 4.6 to get run off of 6.5 .....and they said hydro was hard LOL.
I go by looks of plants mostly but dont want to be setting myself up for problems down the road if ph numbers can be set up easy from the start :)

very cool. Did you consider other passive hydro/soil-less mediums? I have seen some coco coir mixes, but I am still trying to figure it out.

I have my lights and ventilation figured out (1000 watt HPS, can filters, fans, ducting, and a 9000 BTU AC to keep my temps down).

I was looking at building a hydro systems but I think as a new grower I should be as hands on as possible so I can get a good feel for the plants before I try to automate anything. Also, the price of a few pumps/tubes, etc, may be better spent when I have a better idea what I am doing and I am already $650 deep in lighting and ventilation.

Passive hydro looks like a good way to go.

Knowing about the PH problems with the vermiculite, what would you do if you could start over?

On the other hand, I've seen *lots* of results like this and better:

Svet_and_Zena_day_32_flower.jpg

ss

:thanks:
setting sun i do need to invest in better meter ...cause this pool
one stops at 6.5 i have to guess what next colors are lol...now it has
color chart for CL level too with colors going down from 5.0 SO guessing
5.5 darker that 5.0 and lighter than 6.5 hehe. If ya knew me I don't sweat
nothing....OMG there is a spot on my leave help! lmao

borntorun I wasn't sure i had a problem till setting sun mentioned
vermiculite havening effect on ph...i wasn't considering that when i ph-ed my water or nukes.

green acres I do know it is important to ph right...and i dont yet know enough
have been learning about nuke intake and how plants need to be ph right so no lock out happens
so input is always welcome even controversy cause now i can say ok some have issues with it and some don't
i noticed leave curl on couple leaves and new leaves starting out yellow....I have watched them soon
turn darker green soon after i try to notice all that changes so i can learn as i go....so any input
any one has I always welcome. So to keep it like i like it simple ....the run off is what is my true ph level should be...right?

sillyolpun i did consider other passive methods...for me this was the cheapest
and a combo of a couple types i have seen Hempy buckets and wick system with reservoir
I have done 3 soil havests and 4th on the way then 5th :) I want to get away from soil and
after 4 ladies are done with there soil i will have all soiless grow which for this journal will
be set up like i have it...right into flowering...unless something changes and i get HID light other than that
this journal will be with this set up...It is all a test and without people trying or retrying new things and
getting different results we wouldnt continue to grow and learn.
What I would do is....test...just like I am....and if you like it as much as i do then you will not only know
you want to invest money into ebb flows or water farms or some auto set up.....you will also have some experience growing
If i could start over knowing that vermiculite changes ph....I wouldn't change a thing...
It is just nice to know it does so i can correct before a serious problem starts.
they have up ph and down ph mix you can buy....I can do same with baking soda for UP and lemon juice for Down
you may not want to fly by seat of pants like me and guess with chemical test for ph ....you might want to get real one like
setting sun suggested. For me this is the simpplest set up with great results so far
I am always looking to learn and avoid problems when i can....so dont let ph talk throw you off any.... this stuff grows like weeds hehe
Thank You all for input and i love a busy journal with lots of opinions

:thedoubletake: OMG I would be happy with results like that! Hey there is another question i had....will buckets i have be ok root wise or is it as important as soil to not get root bound cause of stress?

I have replanted two already with this system and roots were really white and looked like fish bones with nice branching.
ph_2_.JPG

ph_3_.JPG

I pulled the sick looking clone...had brown roots and was waste of time to nurse back to health...was not strain i plan on running with above seed got her pot

Ahhh ok that is where i got confused because i have read about people checking run off....probably for build up. i use chemical nukes 11-35-15 orchard bloom
and water every other time. They have some micro nukes boron, iron, mag, zinc,copper. I use molasses in flower room it also has iron, calcium, potassium and sure i am missing something that they contain. So this ph thing is as easy as i thought long as I know what i am working with. there could easily be nuke def if i set up my mix not considering ph effect vecuhlite has. Now that i know this def should stop.....I also read yellowing of new groth could mean too much light...but i quickly ruled that out after i hit my :bong: and relized i am growing with cfl's:grinjoint:
Sweet i can bring my party pails to the flower room!

:thedoubletake: OMG I would be happy with results like that! Hey there is another question i had....will buckets i have be ok root wise or is it as important as soil to not get root bound cause of stress?

I have replanted two already with this system and roots were really white and looked like fish bones with nice branching.

In that pic I posted, those are 9.4" X 7.6" self-watering planters. Not very big at all and those plants in that pic finished just fine.

Pretty sure it's the same as active hydro in that the roots don't need to develop as much as in soil because nutes and oxygen are much more available.

I can't wait to try it myself!

ss

So my N-P-K is bottom and boron and mag and micro start at top of plant...now thats easy...just like i like it :)...well i have molasses that contains mag and calcium...i could use a teaspoon of that in next batch and will keep ya updated with pics when it starts to clear :)

OMG setting sun....funny you should mention self watering planters cause wally world has them...i was looking at them but they looked too small...cause i figured the roots needed bigger pots ....so hell ya got me some new planters coming soon :slide:

So my N-P-K is bottom and boron and mag and micro start at top of plant...now thats easy...just like i like it :)...well i have molasses that contains mag and calcium...i could use a teaspoon of that in next batch and will keep ya updated with pics when it starts to clear :)

OMG setting sun....funny you should mention self watering planters cause wally world has them...i was looking at them but they looked too small...cause i figured the roots needed bigger pots ....so hell ya got me some new planters coming soon :slide:

That's exactly what those are up there in the picture. There are two sizes of them at wally world. I think those are the ones that say they are for 8" growers pots. I think they are designed so that you place an 8" pot with bottom holes inside of it, but all I've seen is people fill them up directly with whatever medium they want to use without any other pot.

I have six of those planters waiting for when the time is right:grinjoint:

ss

got a link to these self watering pots. that could a handy gorilla thing

and never smoking to much tunes...no such thing...lol

They are made by a Chinese Co. called Misco. It seems that wally world is not going to be carrying them anymore and is getting rid of existing stock.

There are other similar planters, however, if you google around a bit. Amazon.com will give you lots of hits for "self-watering".

ss

thx, ill have a search for them.
so theres a little dude that comes out and waters em for ya....cool. what kinda wages does he get....lol..jk

LOL!

I should return mine and tell them, "hey, these must be broken." lmao!

ok found a bit on it, so basicaly its just a rez at the bottom and draws the water up to the plant then, not realy much out there on them in detail. how much water would these little rez`s hold at a time

Well, the ones I have are the same size as the ones in that pic, and as soon as I get back from the garage, I'll tell ya exactly how much that res holds.

Ok, the ones I have say they are for putting a 6" (not 8" as I said above) grower's pot inside and hold about 20 oz of water in the res. Some of that water in the bottom will be displaced by the medium, however, so it might be a bit less.

ss

thx for the info. their not for me after reading more on them. seems like the medium would never properly dry down low as it works like a wick to draw up food n water.
i like running more on the dry side. would be opk i guess for an outdoor if i didnt have time to tend to them. yours look nice though

You would think you would get root rot with this setup, but it seems to work well.

Some people have tried adding an airstone in the res to provide more oxygen to the roots, but this has not increased yields whatsoever and just complicates a very simple and effective method.

You really don't need to do anything to make a "self-watering" planter but take any bucket or container and drill about a 1/2" hole up about 1 1/2-2" up the side just like Tunes420 did.

The wally world type are basically just the same thing except that you can easily water them from the bottom, top, or both.

The bucket with a drilled hole is usually watered from the top, but there's no reason you couldn't fill the res through the hole if you wanted to just water from the bottom. That's another whole topic.

ss

Cool setting sun ....infact they had same type in window planter type short and long...most of there garden stuff is going out of season....the area that held water seemed low would probably be water every day with hydro...then on the flip side i have nothing holding up my medium from bottom of pot...so how much would that hold..probably same...and since i have seen super plants in them..i am going to give them a whirl :cool:....I have worried from start about roots in bottom sitting in nukes too long ....but with such a small area I think it could work...just empty res and let sit over night should do it twice a week.
:bong:
Well anyway you all might think i am :loopy: but they have grown in last couple hours .....:biglaugh: Update!
weed131.JPG

weeds3.JPG

weeds_2_.JPG

weeds_1_.JPG

weeds_9_.JPG

weeds_8_.JPG

weeds_7_.JPG

weeds_5_.JPG

weeds_6_.JPG

weeds_11_.JPG

weeds_10_.JPG

Also have had a request ...on processe for nuking them....So here it is in a nut shell
ph5.JPG

my water from tap test at 7.8...so i need to knock it down to 5.0 ....so i add a teaspoon of lemon juice. Note this water has been sitting for 24 hours...then i add(not sure if it does anything) two caps of hydrogen peroxide
to gallon jug. Now my water is ph ready. (I think)
ph_4_.JPG

next time they get a drink it is chemical nukes orchard bloom 11-35-15 one teaspoon per gallon.....again tap water is 7.8-8.0 when i mix in teaspoon of nukes i test and get a reading of roughly 5.5 so i nuke them :)...Like this
weeds_4_.JPG

One at a time i set them in dish tub and with my little orange jug 3/4 fill I apply one all around middle of pot and let it sit for a couple minutes...extra runs out hole in pot...then i tip it and let out a little more so i know it won't over flow and set it back on shelf and i am on to next one...might take 10 minutes once every day or two depending on how fast they dry out....stick finger in hole to tell :):popcorn:

only after...i know tap is steady shows up as almost darkest pink on meter....but once in awhile i will check anyway then always after. I am sure there are some micro's that i lack from soil so lets see what they get with my nukes...(Mg) .60%...
(B) .02% (Cu) .05% (Fe) .10% (Mn) .050%(Mo) .0005% (Zn) .05% Now i am probably missing a lot that soil would provide
Maybe something stands out that it is missing.....Like i said i have molasses and it has iron calcium and potassium that i can remember in it. :thanks:
I was thinking about Schultz plant food....not sure the micro's in it ...but it is cheap and easy to get...as well as thrive but haven't had 8 bucks for that just yet...don't get many sick plants so put that on bottom of list

I actually did first time i mixed up a batch....cause i read a article about urea bringing down ph levels....my nuke says No Urea on front..so i knocked down ph with vinegar cause at time i didn't have lemon juice got it to 5.0 then added my nukes 1/4 strength and feed them.....so being curious next time i tested after i did everything and sure enough i had like a 2.0 reading :popcorn: If these plants can be killed i will do it LMAO...so from the beginning i have had 3 weeks waiting to root to mad def in soil to transfer to mix i have now to ph 2.0 first feeding hehe. 9 days ago they looked like this
IMG_2202.JPG

IMG_22071.JPG

then couple days before I riped them from that dirty soil they showed mad sign of a def
IMG_21641.JPG

only after...i know tap is steady shows up as almost darkest pink on meter....but once in awhile i will check anyway then always after. I am sure there are some micro's that i lack from soil so lets see what they get with my nukes...(Mg) .60%...
(B) .02% (Cu) .05% (Fe) .10% (Mn) .050%(Mo) .0005% (Zn) .05% Now i am probably missing a lot that soil would provide
Maybe something stands out that it is missing.....Like i said i have molasses and it has iron calcium and potassium that i can remember in it. :thanks:
I was thinking about Schultz plant food....not sure the micro's in it ...but it is cheap and easy to get...as well as thrive but haven't had 8 bucks for that just yet...don't get many sick plants so put that on bottom of list

I've used Schultz and imo it's crap... It's 10-15-10 and has only a few of the micro nutes that cannabis needs, it also builds up salts easily like mg does. About the only good things I can say for it is it does not seem to affect the pH of the water at all, and it's really cheap. I've only used it with a soilless mix, not hydro so, you know, your mileage may vary... :smokin:

Here is a list of everything in the Orchid Bloom, I'm not exactly sure if it has all the micro elements that cannabis needs, but it has more than Schultz (I know you have this same bag, just posting this pic for comparison ;) )...
flowerNutes-02.jpg

And here's the Schultz...
Schultz-01.jpg
Schultz-02.jpg

:ganjamon:

:thanks: InhaledFreq yes looks like most have same micro's so will just continue to use this bloom for my nukes...i had heard about MG so didn't want to go that root :smokin:and if it has been tried and tested the Schultz is out....only thing i seem to be lacking is sulfur and calcium. Calcium i can get from molasses ....I feed the girls in flower room that any how.....so just need some epson salt to get last micro i need sulfur. And looks like i will have all the girls need ....for now lol

green acres ya calcium def you noticed is cause i dont have none in my mix...and i guess it dont have anywhere to get it so i will use molasses for that and like i said above LMAO (I am High) i will get epson salt and ph it all and lets see what we look like in a week....i wanted to catch anything before it became problem and glad i got some feed back on it now i can do some more test on lab rats lol. Going to make my own hydro juice :popcorn: and going to call it DaShit

Back
Top Bottom