Tunes420 Try at Hydro 3rd Grow CFL

Hey All wanted to try a Hydro grow Or soil less grow....I am using the hempy bucket method with a rope for wick. Veg room is dirt free and soon flower room will be as well...I set buckets up with 3 parts perlite to one part vermiculite Mixed....I coved top of pot with inch of plain perlite cause it looks nice and is more reflective. There is hole 2 inches from bottom of most containers that hold a reserve of water/nukes What I plan on doing is every couple days tip buckets to let out whats left in bucket and let it sit over night to dry it slightly or at least to get roots some oxygen then i top it off with water/nukes till it comes out hole and let it drink for couple few days and then same...one bad thing i heard about hempy style is lower roots always being in water and roots roting.
For now i water a 1/2 cup twice a day till roots hit ropes to get drink or bottom
When i put in rope i laid circle on bottom and twisted as i went up the pot to top where i made a smaller circle close to roots so in a week or so i should be able to cut down on watering daily. This was simplest method i could find and cost was right. I did invest in cheap pump and made a bubble cloner for this grow as well. Nukes i am using orchard bloom 11-35-14 i plan on getting other nukes as well further down the road.
Tap water is 7.8 when i hit it with nukes drops it to 5.5 ;) plain water i have to bring it down with lemon juice...till i get some up and down.
to bring it up i use baking soda....my soil grow when it gets nuked is only 5.5 so i add 1-1/2 teaspoons of baking soda and i get 6.5
Lights are a bunch of cool white 6500 bulbs 12-42 watts each..also have two foot fluro that has multi spectrum bulbs.
Clones are a bag seed variety different bags. One strain i will have to keep eye on (marked with white wire) seed i grew from same bag hermied as did all 7 clones i took from her. I had seed going before i confirmed seeds from that crop seemed to have hermie tendency's, so figure i will let it run it's course.
All moms to these clones are in my second grow journal ....and currently in soil pots in flower room doing good.
IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2203.JPG

IMG_22071.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

Had some polished rocks from desktop water fountain that i thought looked good in pot :)
IMG_22081.JPG

OK here is bubbler cloner ....I use minnow bucket cut top so it fit half way down bucket....a cheap air pump...some air line a couple tees and air stones and oven roasted chicken clear top :smokin:
IMG_22131.JPG

IMG_22091.JPG

IMG_22111.JPG

IMG_22122.JPG

OK all update here is all but one clone is doing super....switching from soil to hydro. One is still like OMG....:popcorn: but one out of six is good odds...it still isnt dead :) hehe .....
IMG_22221.JPG

heres veg room and now the ladies :popcorn:
IMG_22301.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_22231.JPG

There is sick clone....other 5 are doing super...new growth looks better so def. they had in soil seems ok on new growth...but that one clone just never got over being ripped from the soil it was growing in....and i had to transplant to perlite / vermiculite cause this is a soil less grow :smokin:
IMG_22241.JPG

couple clones from flower room testing bubble cloner 3 days no roots yet....and last batch took 3 weeks in soil to root... :( ......so out with the old in with the new :)
Plus look how dirty my counter is in veg room from dirt....this perlite is even more light reflective...thats why top inch of all but one plant is just perlite....under that is rope wicks and 3 to 1 perlite/vermiculite mix

Wow....this is a sweet setup...I am highly interested in this soil-less idea...I am in on this one Tunes!!
+reps!

I've seen some really nice plants grown that way.

Straight coco also seems to work really well.

Back in the day I used lava rock, but not hempy bucket style, just would let the runoff drain out.

It worked because lava works (not sure why it's fallen out of fashion since it's cheap and readily available), and I was growing several plants in a large tub. Because of the large volume of the tub, I only needed to water every few days in veg, and every other day or so in bloom.

I didn't pull males back then so there wasn't any problem with left-over roots rotting and spoiling the soup.

Believe it or not, I used the cheap *soil* ferts (blue powder and red powder) that came packaged along with my big round white reflector and vertical MH400 bulb and ballast.

The ferts looked just like MG regular and tomato.

This was seed from Mexican sativa brickweed, but some of the brickweed back then, seeds or not, was pretty damn good.

I've researched passive hydro a lot, and I'm going to be following in anticipation of some major bush:grinjoint:

regards,

SS

Tunes!
I love improvisation. You have a nice set up. How do you get the little clones out of the rooter?
Good luck. I would love to tag along.
Fineas
O<

:thanks:
setting sun .... a tub grow...that must have been something....
what a great idea...it already has water and drain.
Glad to have ya aboard and they are growing at a faster pace
than clones i have done in dirt....so am hopeful :)
fineas thats the great thing about improvisation you never
know what the hell your going to do LMAO
Well now that you mention it i will have to rebuild something
more feasible tks for heads up....cause in a week when they had
roots i would be like...Whoops...how do i get them out now. LMAO
I will go look for something to fix that problem tks :slide:

setting sun .... a tub grow...that must have been something....
what a great idea...it already has water and drain.
Glad to have ya aboard and they are growing at a faster pace
than clones i have done in dirt....so am hopeful :)

No, no, not a bathtub. I used these big gray restaurant bus trays, the equivalent of today's Rubbermaid tote.

But hell, now you're done it.

regards,

SS, eyeballin' the bathtub and wondering how he can convince his old lady that showers really are better.

:thanks: tricome ...did some research and this set up seemed easiest
with a couple methods mixed

LOL setting sun....ohhh tote....not tub...but got ya thinking hey :)

OK :thanks: fineas for heads up...and here is the fix
IMG_22311.JPG

traced few gallon jug tops
IMG_22322.JPG

cut out with knife .... and used scissors to cut slit and cut out for stem...so they don't get pinched
IMG_22332.JPG

IMG_22342.JPG

I think the holes for stems can be alot smaller...but will keep others for larger stems or toss they take couple minutes to make...if that ....again fineas tks for heads up saved me from breaking top once roots started LOL

hi mate your grow looks cool and all is green and you certainly know your stuff i wanted to grow this way but my grow bud insisted soil first time round but deffo gonna try your way one day keep up the good work can you post a pic with the age of the plant i want to compare it to a soil grow same strain to see the difference hope you don t mind........be lucky weedtastic:nicethread:

NP weedtastic .....clones were cliped and put in dirt where they took 2 1/2 weeks to root..few days later i transplanted to perlite mix so 3 weeks i believe started this grow they have been in perlite for 5 days so i am guessing about 2 weeks old and 4 if ya count time it took to root ....ya lets go with that...
2 weeks old today .....
IMG_22702.JPG

IMG_22691.JPG

They didnt grow much for about 3 weeks.....below is picture from 3 1/2 days ago
IMG_22301.JPG

Below 3 1/2 days ago was showing signs of deficiency from soil
IMG_2205.JPG

Now same plant
IMG_22711.JPG

IMG_22752.JPG

that one above has slow growth cause it is under that useless multi spectrum bulbs
Now the sick clone that i have two nice ones...same strain is going under fluro and if i lose it dont matter got two left :)
far as soil goes this is growing really quick compared to my soil grows so think these plants are going to grow really fast next to soil. I really think this soil less thing is way to go for me :surf:
IMG_22733.JPG

IMG_22742.JPG

Back
Top Bottom