UglyMuppet's First Grow Easyrider

sure enough... this morning the plants look like they grew over an inch in height and a bunch of new growth on the tops!!!!! some times too much light is not what they need..... dropping the amount of lights and adding the timer to 20/4 really did the trick. next week they go under the 600w. I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!! city boy turns farmer! who would have thought? seriously make me want to grow more plants!!!

thanks to everyone for the help.

pics to come later today.

sure enough... this morning the plants look like they grew over an inch in height and a bunch of new growth on the tops!!!!! some times too much light is not what they need..... dropping the amount of lights and adding the timer to 20/4 really did the trick. next week they go under the 600w. I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!! city boy turns farmer! who would have thought? seriously make me want to grow more plants!!!

thanks to everyone for the help.

pics to come later today.

I am beyond glad to have actually helped someone, they say thats the best way to learn, and it truly is, I feel much more knowledgeable from both learning and teaching on this wonderful place that is 420mag :Rasta:

I'm taking a bucket hit for your plants right now haha :) And i hear you about growing more plants, growing some vegetables was what sparked my interest in growing some pot - a hobby that was born, then supressed(parents) during my younger days.

:thumb::goodjob:

day 16
OK did a bunch of stuff today. i changed the reservoir water, added 2 more air stones and another pump, removed the top drip system, added 2 more 6500K bulbs (up to 8 6500K CFLs) and added Foxfarm's Grow Big and Botinicare's Liquid Carma to the water. the plants are really taking off. i have my 600w bulb and digital ballast on its way. next week i transplant these to the bigger hydro set up. i didn't get a chance to get pics of the roots but i had trouble swapping the lid over from one tank to the other. the roots are so many and damn they are getting long. i have noticed that these plants are starting to stink. going to build a carbon filter asap!!!

PROJECT_PICS_031.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_030.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_029.JPG

Day 19

the girls are growing more every day. i had to move stuff around in the cabinet today. the shelf above the plants was removed to give the option of moving the lights up more. i will be building a new light structure to save vertical space. i may have to do the entire grow in this cabinet and under CFLs as my 600w light set up has not made it here yet. if i have to use this cabinet i will need to vent it better. the temps are starting to rise a little with the added lights. my PH is dead on still... the plants were messed up from my earlier over nute and too much heat/light to early in the process.... they are recovering very well.

so... onto the pics...

PROJECT_PICS_0011.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0021.JPG

add... my runt of the litter.... i noticed that it was not getting a good spray under the lid..... i moved it right next a good strong spray nozzle....

PROJECT_PICS_0031.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0042.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0052.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0062.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0072.JPG

these plants are starting to kick off some stink now... nothing to bad, but it is making the wife a little concerned.... so... i built a cheep air deodorizer.... CHEEP... check it out in my sig.... i call it THE TOAD STOOL..... i was going to build a carbon filter but the charcoal is pricey and not in the budget right now. so i picked up $20 worth of stuff at target and a small bottle of Ona gel.... works like a charm. i placed it in the corner of the room where my cabinet is and it's quiet and if you were even creative enough it could be hidden very easily. no more "rain forest" smell.

toad_stool_project_002.JPG

day 21 update

i have been battling some problems... first i am running out of room in this cloner system... my 600w should be here on Saturday then the move will happen.

now the bigger problem i am having is the brown spots on the lower leaves. i think it is a nitrogen deficiency. take a look and let me know what you think.... i first thought it was a over feed problem so i added a gal of water to the res and things started to look better in the new growth but the damage is kind of bad on the lower limbs.

the overall view... they are getting big...

PROJECT_PICS_0012.JPG

i also FIMed the tops.... to try to get multiple colas...

PROJECT_PICS_0022.JPG

the spots i am referring too.....

PROJECT_PICS_0032.JPG

temps and humidity are good...

PROJECT_PICS_0043.JPG

the new growth... looking good...

PROJECT_PICS_0053.JPG

Not nitrogen... N deficiency is accompanied by yellowing of the older leaves. With brown spotting, I'm more inclined to think calcium but before adding anything, make sure it's not a nute lock-out, check your pH.

I'm thinking give it a few days and as long as it doesn't progress and new growth looks healthy, no worries!

But beyond that they look terrific! Those are shaping up to be some Big Easys!

Not nitrogen... N deficiency is accompanied by yellowing of the older leaves. With brown spotting, I'm more inclined to think calcium but before adding anything, make sure it's not a nute lock-out, check your pH.

I'm thinking give it a few days and as long as it doesn't progress and new growth looks healthy, no worries!

But beyond that they look terrific! Those are shaping up to be some Big Easys!

thanks... i think you are right.... it is more than likely is a calcium problem. I'll be picking up some more nutes tomorrow as soon as the paycheck hits the bank...

Hi Ug, if it is spots on the lowest leaves...the first official leaves, could that be from the damage in the very beginning?? They are looking good now!! Gonna hang for awhile :popcorn:

thanks for the well wishes....

i pulled the lid off today to find some dead roots floating around.... so, i pulled everything out, swapped the lid onto another tub and cleaned everything out. there were some dead roots in the pump filter and just plane ol' junk floating around. i added 6 gal of fresh PHed water and went with 1/2 strength nutes and 6 Tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide i think i might have added too much nutes in the last water change. this could have be the cause of my problems (as is the dead plant mater in the water/pump). the next couple of days should tell me if this made a difference.

i read somewhere... when in doubt, flush the rez.

day 24

the girls are growing tall now. almost out of room in my starter/cloner cabinet.
went to pick up my 600w digital ballast and bulb only to find out that the local hydro shop not only upped the price of the unit $50 (to about $275...now over my budget), they didn't have it in stock. so, i had to compromise and get a 400w digital unit ($185 out the door for the bulb and digital ballast). it should be good for what i need. i like to pay cash and support local business and i will not order online. but it did kinda piss me off.

i will have (8) 6500k and (8) 2700k CFL's on the sides to supplement the grow area and get light to the lower parts of the plants. now all i need is a in line fan and I'll be up and running in the big box. pictures to come tomorrow.

as for the spot on the leaves.... it was an over feed problem. i didn't read the directions carefully enough and got tablespoon and teaspoon mixed up and way over feed the plants. i did a res change the other day, lowered the nutes to 1/2 of the recommended levels (with the corect measurments this time)and they are looking really good and the growth is exploding. the roots are growing smaller little root off shoots.

life is good! :slide::slide::slide::morenutes::morenutes:

live and learn.

day 24

the girls are growing tall now. almost out of room in my starter/cloner cabinet.
went to pick up my 600w digital ballast and bulb only to find out that the local hydro shop not only upped the price of the unit $50 (to about $275...now over my budget), they didn't have it in stock. so, i had to compromise and get a 400w digital unit ($185 out the door for the bulb and digital ballast). it should be good for what i need. i like to pay cash and support local business and i will not order online. but it did kinda piss me off.

i will have (8) 6500k and (8) 2700k CFL's on the sides to supplement the grow area and get light to the lower parts of the plants. now all i need is a in line fan and I'll be up and running in the big box. pictures to come tomorrow.

as for the spot on the leaves.... it was an over feed problem. i didn't read the directions carefully enough and got tablespoon and teaspoon mixed up and way over feed the plants. i did a res change the other day, lowered the nutes to 1/2 of the recommended levels (with the corect measurments this time)and they are looking really good and the growth is exploding. the roots are growing smaller little root off shoots.

life is good! :slide::slide::slide::morenutes::morenutes:

live and learn.

Bummer to hear about the ballast, i have a 400w digital as well and it works great for the 4x4 space i have. i grow my plants to around 5 feet during flowering and that light has never done me wrong. I also have a 600w that works very well for flowering so the nice thing for you is as you go you will now have a nice 400w for veg in the future when you want to get a better ballest for flowering.

What brand ballast did ya get?

Also good to hear that you took care of the over feeding problem it happens to all of us and although it suck you kinda have to find the plants limits to have the best taste and production. Takes alot of time to find out how to grow your plants just the right way so they have peek performance every day. Wish i had the green thumb but im sure with some more hydro time and working with the same plants it will get better and less of a waiting game to see if something is going to work.

I will be token on the couch for the next update hahaha. Happy growin!

hey bud08.... i picked up a NEXGEN 400w digital ballast. so far it works great.

update day 25

lots of stuff done last night. i picked up an in-line fan and some ducting. finished the big cabinet. got it all wired up and then got the girls loaded in. they seem to like the 400w and the side lighting i have going. i got one inch of vertical growth just last night alone. i snapped some pics a minute ago so i can show the set up.

the cabinet is six feet wide , 4 feet tall and three feet deep. i divided it into two separate chambers. the larger chamber is 4 feet wide giving me a 4 foot by 4 foot by 3 foot area. i was going to use the smaller chamber for clones and a mother but so far i am using it as the hardware/electrical compartment and i haven't finished the routing of the exhaust ducting. it works well, but does need improvement. i may still be able to get the cloner/mother set up in there yet. i added a light box on top of the cabinet because i wanted enough light/plant clearance. i think that on my next grow i will do a SCROG set up. and i wont need the added height.
the girls are outgrowing this cloner unit. i will be transplanting them to the larger flowering hydro Aero/DWC unit tonight.

i attempted to take a clone from one of the biggest plants and so far it is still alive. it is under the bottle top dome. we will see if it develops into something. i have an extra spot in the big hydro unit so why not try?

so onto the pictures.....

PROJECT_PICS_0013.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0023.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0033.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0054.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0063.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0082.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0102.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0122.JPG

Looking awsome!!!Love the set up and the ballest looks more like a car audio amp lol. The fan is nice as well i need to get a new one before flower as i didnt keep my last one clean and it took a crap on me after 3 years of good use :(

Girls seem to be doing very well also, im sure they will love all that extra side lighting you have there. I have a small set up like that for my clones but you have got me thinking about adding some extra lighting to mine as well. Mabey i will just keep the 600 running though. Electric bills i so do seem to hate getting every month with a veg and flower room lol

Keep up the good work and +rep for the cab and upgrades!

Back
Top Bottom