Welcome to 420 It looks like you know your stuff, this site has a lot of knowledge. I am here learning as much as I can retain. Thank you for joining.
I see myself as a beginner but I sprouted my first seeds somewhere in the mid nineties. I've had some hiatus here and there but it's been pretty consistent. To many cycles and grows to keep track of.

I have a storage container of old HID stuff I probably never going to use anymore. They're pretty solid to still use as side lighting running between lanes of plants during winter months. They're also the most effective hanging vertical without any hood.

:ciao:
I love some Kalimist but the pheno I had was like Moss in the southern states.
Still, ripping though.
Cheers, im on the sidelines
She's a finicky lady that only puts out if you have your environment in check. My friends been growing here for two years and she never came out like she's supposed to with low potency or yield.

Spent an hour removing a garbage bag worth of lower branches and side shoots. I'm too fucking old for this lol! She had already started to reallocating resources and will be happy with the change.
IMG_20230517_165025898.jpg

IMG_20230517_212747712.jpg

They've started to form clusters of calyxes and weight is coming in and I had promised myself to do it when that happened. Started to fastened some of the tops to the Scrog net. We'll see what she decides to do, she's happy so far! Cheers!

Welcome to the forum @Wastei!

I'm off-grid in tropical Hawaii and growing outdoors in open-walled greenhouses. I couldn't grow indoors if I wanted to – not enuf solar power! But I've actually thought of a hybrid grow that would simulate an indoor grow, but get light from the sun. Dunno if it's possible, because of overheating in the grow space... unless I could figure out a DIY solar thermal cooling system (i.e. non-electric).

I'm currently doing research, looking for super-bud-rot-resistant strains. Link in my signature.

Looking forward to seeing your scrog develop. :ciao:

Welcome to the forum @Wastei!

I'm off-grid in tropical Hawaii and growing outdoors in open-walled greenhouses. I couldn't grow indoors if I wanted to – not enuf solar power! But I've actually thought of a hybrid grow that would simulate an indoor grow, but get light from the sun. Dunno if it's possible, because of overheating in the grow space... unless I could figure out a DIY solar thermal cooling system (i.e. non-electric).

I'm currently doing research, looking for super-bud-rot-resistant strains. Link in my signature.

Looking forward to seeing your scrog develop. :ciao:
Thanks! Look for a sativa dominant strain bred for outdoors, Serious 6 comes to mind. If you want to save them from heat you could shade them in the middle of the day if they looks stressed.

Thanks! Look for a sativa dominant strain bred for outdoors, Serious 6 comes to mind.
I tried a 90% sativa from Ace Seeds – it failed. They even said it had high resistance to botrytis. Everyone says sativa, sativa... makes sense, because they are from the tropics. A couple years ago I tried a Maui Wowie... also failed. The best so far has been HI-BISCUS from Humboldt Seed Company, 50/50 hybrid with sativa effects... zero bud rot. Humboldt's Blue Dream hybrid is also very good. Thanks for suggesting Serious 6... I just checked it out. I'm looking for indica dominant, sativa dominant, and hybrid. For sativa, I'm now leaning toward a Trainwreck from either Humboldt Seed Co. or Twenty20... both in NorCal. For indica and 50/50, I'm now considering Super Skunk and Wonder Woman (Super Skunk x White Widow). I wanted to try Skunk Dawg (Super Skunk x Chemdawg), but can't find any seeds.
If you want to save them from heat you could shade them in the middle of the day if they looks stressed.
The Hawaii sun, when it comes out, is notoriously strong. I'd be shading most of the day. Having a "grow room" powered by sunlight was just something that dawned on me the other day, but the heat factor makes it a no-go, unless air conditioned. Unless, as I was saying, using some kind of non-electric cooling system. Or, use solar tubes... now that's a thought! ...fully insulated grow room with roof-mounted solar light tubes... they're expensive. Maybe around 300w equivalent output per each tube.

I gotta do some work... have a good one.

You need something bred for stability and strictly outdoors. Look for European breeders since they have a way harder time getting things stable in temperate and humid climates.

Sativa's bred for indoors are not adviceable since they are overall more sensitive than hybrids. Everything's hybridized nowadays otherwise we would have 6 months+ flowering time outdoors.

You need something bred for stability and strictly outdoors. Look for European breeders since they have a way harder time getting things stable in temperate and humid climates.
I'm all over it, brother. As I said above, the best so far has been HI-BISCUS from Humboldt Seed Company, 50/50 hybrid with sativa effects... zero bud rot. Humboldt Dream is also very good, 70% indica, almost zero bud rot. These are very stable seed lines, and neither was bred for outdoors only. Twenty20 in Mendocino is also highly recommended for producing stable seed lines, and genetics that are highly bud rot resistant.

In my perpetual grow, when I move a plant from my veg house to my flower house, they take 5-7 weeks to finish.

IMG_20230519_010457832_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230519_010450996_HDR.jpg

Building spears! pH 5.5 in 6.3 out. EC 1.3 in 1.48 out. Perfect values. Lowering kelp and humic and also silicate. I have to do everything I can to try to lowering K running Jacks and coir.

I'm cutting out Kelp completely the last two weeks since it's really high in arsenic and big operations had to throw their harvests away because of overuse. Same goes with any rock salt which are both high in lead and arsenic.

You have to really know what you're doing running organics since the pre made mixes are almost always higher in heavy metals compared to synthetics. The best is to mix and cook your own organic soil and not include any rock salts.

In the zone.. Them buds are going to explode! how are you measuring your out? I've been thinking to fit a probe into my drain pipe 🤔

IMG_20230519_010457832_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230519_010450996_HDR.jpg

Building spears! pH 5.5 in 6.3 out. EC 1.3 in 1.48 out. Perfect values. Lowering kelp and humic and also silicate. I have to do everything I can to try to lowering K running Jacks and coir.

I'm cutting out Kelp completely the last two weeks since it's really high in arsenic and big operations had to throw their harvests away because of overuse. Same goes with any rock salt which are both high in lead and arsenic.

You have to really know what you're doing running organics since the pre made mixes are almost always higher in heavy metals compared to synthetics. The best is to mix and cook your own organic soil and not include any rock salts.
I hear you bro, done everything under the sun and love organic but synthetic is convenient with just as good or better results imo.

Your plants are lookin' good!

I'm also using kelp meal, mainly for iron, in my soil mix and as a top dressing. Not a lot.

What are your thoughts about Azomite, re: heavy metals? I was mentioning Azomite in another thread, as a potential source for boron and other micronutes; however, decided worm castings and compost are a better source. DTE Azomite contains 1.3 ppm arsenic and 7.9 ppm lead. Do you consider those to be high? It also contains 1.3% sodium.

Here are the heavy metals numbers for DTE kelp meal. Yes, arsenic looks high. I'm trying to pin down sodium, but looks like potentially 4%.
1684457895277.png

Here are the heavy metals numbers for the glacial rock dust that I'm using, also mainly for iron 5.5%. Sodium is 0.4%.
1684459539546.png

In the zone.. Them buds are going to explode! how are you measuring your out? I've been thinking to fit a probe into my drain pipe 🤔
I have her raised of the floor standing on a metall fenced shoe rack on top of a storage container. Runoff collecting in the low storage container. I've been doing it like this forever but I know there's tones of different run off trays with hose connectors nowadays.

Then I would just take reading of the runoff through a small container for monitoring installed between the runoff and the drain. Letting it collect to a certain level and then a hose for emptying when the level is high enough to take reading. A simple container with two hose connectors going in. One higher than the one emptying the container. I use a shopvac every two to three days to collect and throw runoff away.

The storage container is deep enough for me to put a whisking bowl under once daily to take runoff reading. I also get more stable root temps and aeration getting them of the floor.

Your plants are lookin' good!

I'm also using kelp meal, mainly for iron, in my soil mix and as a top dressing. Not a lot.

What are your thoughts about Azomite, re: heavy metals? I was mentioning Azomite in another thread, as a potential source for boron and other micronutes; however, decided worm castings and compost are a better source. DTE Azomite contains 1.3 ppm arsenic and 7.9 ppm lead. Do you consider those to be high? It also contains 1.3% sodium.

Here are the heavy metals numbers for DTE kelp meal. Yes, arsenic looks high. I'm trying to pin down sodium, but looks like potentially 4%.
1684457895277.png

Here are the heavy metals numbers for the glacial rock dust that I'm using, also mainly for iron 5.5%. Sodium is 0.4%.
1684459539546.png
I would personally focus more on animal waste inputs like oyster shell, crustaceans meal, bone meals and insects frass. Malted barley is awesome to add to organic soil mixes!

I would personally focus more on animal waste inputs like oyster shell, crustaceans meal, bone meals and insects frass. Malted barley is awesome to add to organic soil mixes!
I do use oyster shell, not the other ones. But I will check out organic malted barley... what form?

Yeah, oyster shell... super low on the heavy metals.

Here's some numbers for oyster shell... compare iron (Fe) to glacial rock dusk at 5.5%, and kelp at 622 ppm (0.062%)... about the same! With all that Ca, it's a potent pH adjuster (pH up).

N - 0%
P - 0%
K - 0%
S - 0%
Ca - 36%
Mg - 0.3%
Na - 0.3%
Fe - 0.06%
Cu - 2.8 ppm
Mn - 14 ppm
Zn - 7.7 ppm
B - 20 ppm
Mo - 4 ppm
Se - <10 ppm

IMG_20230519_155847753.jpg

IMG_20230519_155913415.jpg

Here's the runoff @greenvein. 1.3 EC in 1.6 out, pH 5.7 in 6.5 out, looking better in colour so I think this is where we're at the moment. They really want a couple of points higher EC under LED's.

I never fully flowered this girl out, only got to about 7th week of flower last time before I had to travel abroad. Last time I flowered Kali Mist was under HID's so that's my only point of reference in my head.

Yeah she's doing great man 👌🏽 your run off system is very simple and great for one plant. I always run more to bring the veg times down! I could run a more simple run off but I'm trying to use one pump for both tents.

I think I have a similar Arduino device rigged up to some system in storage.. some old friends of mine used to grow big but when they moved back home they dumped all their equipment on me. Not sure how it works though lol I just nicked the pump off of it.

I think I have a similar Arduino device rigged up to some system in storage.. some old friends of mine used to grow big but when they moved back home they dumped all their equipment on me. Not sure how it works though lol I just nicked the pump off of it.
Arduino? I was planning to use one to monitor my available solar DC power, and to provide AC power to the drying room I'm planning to set up. Drying room will be monitored by an Inkbird temp + humidity controller. I've got a free-standing, dry-type air conditioner and a small dehum, ready to go.

Arduino? I was planning to use one to monitor my available solar DC power, and to provide AC power to the drying room I'm planning to set up. Drying room will be monitored by an Inkbird temp + humidity controller. I've got a free-standing, dry-type air conditioner and a small dehum, ready to go.
Yeah you can use them for pretty much everything but Wastei uses it to control his feed schedule. I have never used one just the pi boards a long time ago.

@Wastei this is the device I was talking about I've no idea how it works just taken parts off it.

PXL_20230519_191536086.jpg
PXL_20230519_191440122.jpg

Back
Top Bottom