Watching Grass Grow

I meant the original plant looked happy-ish not the clone, I was concerned about the clone and have now placed it under a makeshift humidity dome as suggested, (thanks for that, I was sure it wasn't too much water as I hadn't given it any, apart from the rooting solution mix)

DSC_4842.jpg
The original plant is fine. It's a bit scary to chop off the top half of your lovely plant - and then nothing happens - but it will happen soon. The crotch at the base of the leaves will start growing tiny leaves that will grow into your major branches.

As for the timing of things - I have been assuming it is spring where you live. Is it spring or autumn? Do your days even get short in the winter? I would like your plants to have time to grow :)

I
DSC_4839.jpg

... the clone remains in the hands of the grow gods.

Welcome Greenfingers, all eyes and thoughts are appreciated, if the clone manages a resurrection things might get a lot more interesting.
I'm currently watching the grass grow, listening to music, relaxing on a Sunday afternoon . . . . . . "Frank Zappa, Watermelon in Easter Hay". . it does it for me and keeps me positive.
Good luck to all with their respective situations and keep smiling!:tokin:

Was your soil a bit moist when you planted? You want "normal" mositure and to avoid dry when making roots.

The clone remains in the hands of the grow gods - - but they can be benevolent gods. Look at how many plants grow so well :)

The original plant is fine. It's a bit scary to chop off the top half of your lovely plant - and then nothing happens - but it will happen soon. The crotch at the base of the leaves will start growing tiny leaves that will grow into your major branches.
As for the timing of things - I have been assuming it is spring where you live. Is it spring or autumn? Do your days even get short in the winter? I would like your plants to have time to grow :)
Was your soil a bit moist when you planted? You want "normal" mositure and to avoid dry when making roots.
The clone remains in the hands of the grow gods - - but they can be benevolent gods. Look at how many plants grow so well :)

Spring festival was about a month ago but no one has told the weather man! Normally at this time of year the skies are bright and blue but we've only had the odd bright day and more dull days than anything else. I initially planted my seed early anticipating hopefully a full life cycle, I haven't given up by any means!
When planting the clone the soil had moisture, it wasn't wet or moist when squeezed but certainly not dry.
Things that I could have done better;
My initial cut was good, clean and in the right place but after that, well er. . . . . remembered to made a small cut upwards to encourage rooting but forgot to angle off the bottom and to gently scrape the outer area. (probably the most important things)
With the rooting powder I added some to water(not sure if this was correct or if I should have dipped the stem directly into the powder?) and after my cut I dipped the clone into the solution and then left it for about 30 seconds for it to absorb then put straight into the soil. I poured the remaining solution (about 125ml) around the outside of the pot. (not near the clone)
Smoking a spliff to psyche yourself up to make the initial cut is something I wont do again either!

Didn't look at them this morning but wish I had, I'll be home in 5 hours keeping things crossed.

4 times I have tried to load the pictures but gremlins are in the works it seems. Not missing much though, main plant remains unperturbed with all the shenanigans while the clone can only be described as sad with major droopage. (newly christened El Droopo) Glorious day today weather-wise and expecting another good one tomorrow, El Droopo needs something or its going to be El Deado!
I'll try again with the pics tomorrow.

4 times I have tried to load the pictures but gremlins are in the works it seems. Not missing much though, main plant remains unperturbed with all the shenanigans while the clone can only be described as sad with major droopage. (newly christened El Droopo) Glorious day today weather-wise and expecting another good one tomorrow, El Droopo needs something or its going to be El Deado!
I'll try again with the pics tomorrow.

Dang!

I am bummed about this.

If she didn't perk up under the dome, I would take the dome off and let El Droopo try open air again.

I feel like accessory before the fact to a crime.

Your first girl will probably end up thanking you, but that clone was so pretty when she went in the ground. :blushsmile: :goodluck:

El Droopo trying desperately to maintain some dignity during its demise. I haven't given up on it yet, I keep telling myself "its a weed, they are tough" but. . . . .
DSC_5075.jpg

The "first girl" (has to be Daisy then) has started to sprout in the crotch area, a sign of things to come . . . .

DSC_5079.jpg

Radogast, the guilt is all mine, I messed up on the important stuff, I listened and learned but then failed to put it into good practice. I have been kicking myself for the way I went about the whole procedure, On a positive note, I will know better next time. I should say sorry to you for not putting into practice what you took the time to tell me.
6 weeks and 2 days before my holiday, there is sprouting on Daisy, positive positive. Weather is bright,30 degrees.

El Droopo will remain unseen unless something extraordinary happens whereas Daisy is continuing to grow even though the weather has been dull. Having a day under the supplementary light whilst basking in the window, today is a little brighter.

DSC_5103.jpg

DSC_5124.jpg

The bottom leaf has started to wither (not too bothered) the growth in the nooks (note to self; look up real name!)appears to be progressing although the remaining top leaves seem to be discolouring a little.
No water for 1 week.
Very humid all week.
temp. high 20's Humidity dropped today to 55%
Prepared some water with a lower ph ready for watering.

wow, 5 days have passed, so i think has El Droopo, its remains remain in the window alongside Daisy who, aside from some discolouration on the leaves, is looking quite neat.
2 days ago Daisy drank a cup of water (150ml) and after a few minutes a small pool had formed under the pot. It was only a few drops but I assumed that from that that there was enough water and didn't need any more.
I've also been using the light during the dull days (there's been a couple) still waiting for the bright stuff!
Its hard not to water! I know I shouldn't but. . . .
Anyway, time to catch up with things here, hope all is good for all.

DSC_5334.jpg

Coming over to help out and encourage. :high-five:
I just started cloning so I can only help a little in that area. I placed my clones in rapid rooters. Mine were drooping the first day but keeping the humidity dome spritzed and the clones spritzed has paid off and they are all standing up now.
You are quite correct in telling yourself this is a weed. They are very resilient. Stay on this site and take the advice of people like Rad and you will be just fine.

Welcome Canna and Noob, any assistance/moral support/advice is greatly appreciated.
ELP fan Canna? I saw them at the Royal Albert Hall many years ago after listening to them throughout my youth.(still listen to them now)
Noob, my clone, El Droopo has passed on I think, although it is still in the window basking/wilting in sunshine today, I haven't lost all hope of a resurrection. I have only myself to blame for its demise, it had every chance of survival if I'd heeded the good advice I'd been given. Getting stoned before doing important things isn't always a good idea!

A glorious day today, 28 degrees, 62% humidity and bright, clear blue skies.
Good luck to everyone with their respective grows and situations.

hey welcome carestalker, Daisy continues to survive and grow although to be honest I have been neglecting her a little lately. I keep an eye on her but today I noticed things going on that gave me a bit of a shock. I took a few pictures and when preparing to upload them I notice all these "black dots" along the new growth (dammit, I really should look up the names of these things!)
anyway, here are the pics, should I be concerned or is it some sort of natural process going on inside?
just had a bad thought, its not the larvae of those vulture bugs is it? That wouldn't be good but it would be interesting!
DSC_5368.jpg

DSC_5376.jpg

DSC_5382.jpg

DSC_5378.jpg

Still holding back on giving any water but today is 32 degrees so maybe a drink before bedtime, my chopstick down the side is dusty with no moisture . . . .

On a positive note, I will know better next time.

Ya know... it's all about learning. Some lessons need to be learned 'the hard way'... but that's cool too as those lessons sink in better.

I've got a challenging cloning world as well... tho my problems are temperature based. I've really started to appreciate the little peat plugs for cloning... just because of their ease of use.
I didn't read back and investigate... but you kept the clone around 80f at all times.... yes? Temps are very important for clones.

Hey Tead, yes the temperatures here are around 80f 26.6C although some days were slightly above that.
Yesterday was 32C and today has started at 27C but its only 10am and it looks like we are in for another hot one.
I looked back at my earlier pictures and noticed that those "black dots" have always been there and I only spotted them yesterday because they were more pronounced. (that and the fact that I hadn't looked close enough before!*)
*another lesson; pay closer attention and stop neglecting her.
My window cill is getting quite busy with all the visitors, the view is good and I make great snacks, you are all most welcome. :thanks: and :welcome:

An observation if I may - she looks like she could use a spa day. :) She would appreciate a small CFL bulb at 6500K. Proper pH is also very important at this stage. Water too, it should have Calcium and Mg in it, and if not, it should be supplemented with each fertigation. Maybe return her to the window when she's got her roots built up. New growth looks pretty good though, so she should be able to pull out of it. :cheer::Namaste:

Fertigation? a new word for me and isn't Wikipedia brilliant?
Considering commencement of my first fertigation.
At some time in the past, a bottle of plant food made its way to my apartment, I have no recollection of its arrival and the label on the bottle has three words in English; Orchid plant food. On the back i can make out; NPK 2.5-3-3.5, and a ratio of 50 parts to 1. It is due for a proper water and the weather is hot and bright, 32c today and expecting 34c tomorrow. Fingers crossed she likes it!
Carestalker, Daisy remains in the window all the time now unless we have a dull day. I use a 125w 5500k on dull days, I have a dozen of them for photograph lamps i never use! Looking forward to my spa day in just a few weeks . . . . . . .sawadee relax . .
DSC_5408-2.jpg

DSC_5408.jpg

Nice that you have some more knowledgable folks watching than I. :) Good folks here at 420.

Also glad you have new growth :)

Now that you did the first topping, there is opportunity for more training. To create a canopy of relatively equal armed branches, the next two topping should happen relatively soon after the first topping.

What say others out there? Top two nodes up from the last topping on each arm? Or one node up?

I would remove the bottom leaf near the soil and also take your fingers and 'rub off' the new leaves growing at the same level as that bottom leaf. Whatever grows there will not be strong or yield any buds.

Hot hot hot for the last few days, staying around 32-34c with 60-65% humidity, Daisy seems to like it and the new growth continues upwards and outwards.
Radogast, I have removed that leaf you mentioned and will rub off the other bits later. (its lunchtime)
More topping? does this mean another chance to clone? You have got me thinking again! or is the topping for other reasons?
Took a picture this morning before leaving for work and will take another this evening to see how much it grows in one day, I'm sure it will be noticeable. Her general appearance seems contented (I do hope its a "her" now that I am being so presumptuous) fingers remain crossed for continued development.
Thank you to all that have taken time to offer advice and comment, (kindly too, which is nice) I appreciate it and from Daisy's appearance I know she appreciates it. I cant imagine how she would have turned out without your help.(actually i can, it would be El Deado Daisy!)

Back
Top Bottom