IMG_076157.JPG

Mixing up some bubble hash with a couple gallons of trim and failed bud. The container is a 7 or 8 gallon primary fermentation vat for making wine and beer. Standing there staring at the container full of bud and ice swirling around, I just had a genius idea! You probably can guess. I was just about to start a couple more batches of wine anyway with some fruit and berries I have in the freezer. I will use the leftover water from this hash to make a batch of wine! Wheee!

Mixing up some bubble hash with a couple gallons of trim and failed bud. The container is a 7 or 8 gallon primary fermentation vat for making wine and beer. Standing there staring at the container full of bud and ice swirling around, I just had a genius idea! You probably can guess. I was just about to start a couple more batches of wine anyway with some fruit and berries I have in the freezer. I will use the leftover water from this hash to make a batch of wine! Wheee!
Love it! :cheer:

Yeah I'll definitely try to doctor it up as best as I can and try to get the flavour of it to be the... least foul that I can. But a year or two of aging can work wonders. Could be dangerous stuff.

It does bring up a question though. People talk a lot about bud needing to be decarbed to have any effect. I'm not so sure that's true but I don't understand the whole picture. When I was in India we used to get in to the bhang a lot. Bhang is cannabis. We would get completely obliterated by the stuff. Most common was to swill it down with yoghurt in the form of bhang lassis. A thick green smoothie. You'll find it mixed and baked into all sorts of stuff though- chai, deserts, pakoras, whatever. They even give bhang candies to the kids sometimes. I'm not sure how they prepare the bhang beforehand.
Usually it was bright green and I assumed it was fresh bud. Most of the dried bud I got in India was brownish.
Some people say that drying the bud does decarb it.

The point of this blather is- decarb. I don't think bhang is decarbed, and it works great.

So- over 2/3 of the bud I'm currently mixing was frozen green, not dried. So I'm not sure whether or not my wine will be effective. But whatever- it's either toss it out as usual or use a few dollars worth of sugar and experiment. Next time I can decarb the bud first maybe- then make the hash, then the wine...

But if anyone knows anything about this (decarboxylization- Jesus what are the chances I spelled that right) please let me know.

It does bring up a question though. People talk a lot about bud needing to be decarbed to have any effect. I'm not so sure that's true but I don't understand the whole picture. When I was in India we used to get in to the bhang a lot. Bhang is cannabis. We would get completely obliterated by the stuff. Most common was to swill it down with yoghurt in the form of bhang lassis. A thick green smoothie. You'll find it mixed and baked into all sorts of stuff though- chai, deserts, pakoras, whatever. They even give bhang candies to the kids sometimes. I'm not sure how they prepare the bhang beforehand.
Usually it was bright green and I assumed it was fresh bud. Most of the dried bud I got in India was brownish.
Some people say that drying the bud does decarb it.

The point is- over 2/3 of the bud I'm currently mixing was frozen green, not dried. So I'm not sure whether or not my wine will be effective. But whatever- it's either toss it out as usual or use a few dollars worth of sugar and experiment. Next time I can decarb the bud first maybe- then make the hash, then the wine...

But if anyone knows anything about this (decarboxylization- Jesus what are the chances I spelled that right) please let me know.
Weed will naturally decarb with age. You can get a buzz off fresh bud, what decarbing does is convert the thcA into thc. That raises your thc percentage, and gives you more of your stone. This is obviously more noticeable in edibles, as when you are combusting or vaping, you are decarbing. Age and temperature are the two main things for decarbing. Everyone has their own sweetspot for time/temperature. I have to check my notes each time I decarb because I keep forgetting lol.
So in nutshell, you can get effect without decarbing. You will get the most benefit with decarbing. And when you spark up a joint or a bowl, you are decarbing.
I hope that made sense :)

Ok I guess that's more or less in line with what I've heard. I know that green bud can get you high, I'm just not sure how high it gets you compared to decarbed bud. Some of those bhang lassis were pretty much just choking down two cups of thick green sludge with a little sugar mixed in- lots of bud. Not very good or strong bud, but lots of it.

I suppose I can boil the hash water for a while before brewing. I've never decarbed anything before- but I gather that boiling temps would be about right.
But should I be worried that this will compromise the subtle nuances of the bouquet, or destroy the delicate overtones of the finished wine?

I think I'll turn a gallon of the 'juice' into a little batch of wine as is - and toss the rest in the freezer till I have time to decarb it properly. I'll be able to have some variety that way to test the different. Spitz told me that a very long decarb can bring out the CBN and create a wonderful sleeping potion.

Ok I guess that's more or less in line with what I've heard. I know that green bud can get you high, I'm just not sure how high it gets you compared to decarbed bud. Some of those bhang lassis were pretty much just choking down two cups of thick green sludge with a little sugar mixed in- lots of bud. Not very good or strong bud, but lots of it.

I suppose I can boil the hash water for a while before brewing. I've never decarbed anything before- but I gather that boiling temps would be about right.
But should I be worried that this will compromise the subtle nuances of the bouquet or destroy the delicate overtones of the finished flavour of the wine?
In my opinion, it's a tradeoff between terps and temperatures. Lower temps with longer times make a noticeable difference. On the other hand, if you are just going to be baking brownies, either dry herb or my preferred method of infused oil, you probably wouldn't notice any taste difference. There may be some loss of terps healing qualities.
As for the wine, a good boiling will probably work, and I'm guessing fermentation and aging may factor in as well.

Yes I saw the glaringly obvious and had the same epiphany after I last posted. Not much good drinking thc-free bud flavoured wine - that sounds even worse than non alcoholic wine. I'm running out of time at the moment but I'll find a spot to store the stuff and do more head scratching in case there's a way to do it.

Another thing just popped into my head. The word 'pot' comes from a Spanish or Portuguese (I forget which) word for a cannabis infused wine of some sort. I'll have to go searching when I get some time and see what comes up.

Ok I'm going to simmer/boil it down, along with the washed bud and trim, to reduce it as much as I can. This will decarb it and make it manageable. At this point I have five gallons of it and would rather have just one. I don't have time to do all this right now but I'll start on it.
Then I'll just brew it into strong wine. The 12-14%+ alcohol level should do a fine job of extracting the thc and whatnot.

Edit- I'm also going to make a small batch of it straight. I expect it will be much weaker than the decarbed stuff but may be different in some interesting way, or something.

IMG_082549.JPG

yum yum :drool:

I dragged the grafted plant outside in the evening for some parting shots of the veg phase. From the way she perked up overnight, it looks like she's going to love flowering.

IMG_082351.JPG

IMG_082736.JPG

IMG_082252.JPG

How interesting, you can't tell from here that it's made of three different plants. Which one is the root? It looks like the longer it's developed the more the sections look like each other, or is that just me being inattentive?

Next obstacle... cannabanoids aren't water soluble. Now your wine will end up at 7-10% alcohol, but not until you've pulled your water from your bucket (long after). A few different options, but think about it before you start working with 5G of wash water.
Curious! Would adding lecithin to the water make any difference?

Back
Top Bottom