How interesting, you can't tell from here that it's made of three different plants. Which one is the root? It looks like the longer it's developed the more the sections look like each other, or is that just me being inattentive?

On the other hand, I believe they're all sativas. You can see some minor leaf shape variation, but considering that they're all subjected to the exact same conditions, I don't find it so surprising that one can have a problem finding the borders.

2cents

IMG_076157.JPG

Mixing up some bubble hash with a couple gallons of trim and failed bud. The container is a 7 or 8 gallon primary fermentation vat for making wine and beer. Standing there staring at the container full of bud and ice swirling around, I just had a genius idea! You probably can guess. I was just about to start a couple more batches of wine anyway with some fruit and berries I have in the freezer. I will use the leftover water from this hash to make a batch of wine! Wheee!

Totally diggn your set up there!:thumb: Question for ya...... do you find that paint mixer a little too aggressive for mixing with? I did the same thing for a while and found the leaf material would break down as well degrading the bubble hash. I read up on it and found guys saying too just use your hand to swish it around (makes for a freekn cold hand) and run the material multiple times over, they say like 3-4 times. I did this and wound up with less hash but way better quality.... I m guessing less because less leaf material?! Oh my reference for making the stuff primarily came from Jorge Servantez ( I m sure I slaughtered the spelling of his name) I d love your opinion on the topic:high-five:

BubbleTips:

*Gentle(!!!!!) agitation. Drills are no bueno. Heavy chlorophyll in the hash occurs due to drill use. Use a wooden kitchen spoon in 5gal bags, or a small raft paddle with 30gal bags/trash can.
*The 220,160,73 & 25 are the only necessary bags.
220/160 are filters, 73/25 are the full melt hash bags.
*Snow is best, then crushed ice, or bagged ice cubes if no other choice.
*Fresh frozen trim/material is by far superior. Chop up your buds for best results.
*Gently agitate for 20 minutes, let rest 30 minutes, pull bags.
*Always do two cycles (or "pulls") of each run.
*Always rinse-thru the 73 & 25u hash with clear cold water before removing hash from the bags. Rinses out any chlorophyll. Hash should be tan/white-ish, not light green.
*Bubble loses about 20% of the gross weight gut when cured. Do NOT store air tight until hash is cured or it'll rot.
*Final hash should bubble furiously when a corner is hit w/a lighter. If it doesn't, it's D-Grade.
*The better your material the better the hash. The return on processing top shelf flowers into bubble is about 5-6g hash per 28g flowers.
*When bubble is removed from bags, place on pressing screen or piece of silk & w/a rolling pin, press the hash as thin as possible-4-5mm thick or so.
*Place hash in freezer for 20 minutes. Water migrates out of the hash upon thawing. Blot water off. Repeat 3-4x/day over two days.
*Bubble oxidizes over time. It turns brown/black. That's natural.
*Let bubble cure in open air, 3-4 days. Cool dry, DARK place. Failure to do so & it'll go bad.
*Store cured bubble in air tight, light proof jar, in a cool place. Not the refrigerator.

Any Qs, just ask. .

BubbleTips:

*Gentle(!!!!!) agitation. Drills are no bueno. Heavy chlorophyll in the hash occurs due to drill use. Use a wooden kitchen spoon in 5gal bags, or a small rare paddle with 30gal bags/trash can.
*The 220,160,73 & 25 are the only necessary bags.
220/160 are filters, 73/25 are the full melt hash bags.
*Snow is best, then crushed ice, or bagged ice cubes if no other choice.
*Fresh frozen trim/material is by far superior. Chop up your buds for best results.
*Gently agitate for 20 minutes, let rest 30 minutes, pull bags.
*Always do two cycles (or "pulls") of each run.
*Always rinse-thru the 73 & 25u hash with clear cold water before remiving from the bags. Rinses out any chlorophyll. Hash should be tan/white-ish, not light green.
*Bubble loses about 20% of the gross weight gut when cured. Do NOT store air tight until hash is cured or it'll rot.
*Final hash should bubble furiously when a corner is hit w/a lighter. If it doesn't, it's C-D Grade.
*The better your material the better the hash. The return on processing top shelf flowers into bubble is about 5-6g hash per 28g flowers.
*When bubble is removed from bags, place on pressing screen or piece of silk & w/a rolling pin, press the hash as thin as possible-4-5mm thick or so.
*Place hash in freezer for 20 minutes. Water migrates out of the hash upon thawing. Blot water off. Repeat 3-4x/day over two days.
*Bubble oxidizes over time. It turns brown/black. That's natural.
*Let bubble cure in open air, 3-4 days. Cool dry, DARK place. Failure to do so & it'll go bad.
*Store cured bubble in air tight, light proof jar, in a cool place. Not the refrigerator.

Any Qs, just ask. .

Good God, I think I love you! :hug: :kisstwo: :hug:

Someday I'll do one of those tutorials I keep putting together and put all those fine points in there with illustrations. This was excellent. If I could give you reps twice I would, but they restrict that kind of thing.

Please accept my undying gratitude. That's the first time I read about the process that it made my mouth water with anticipation of my first run. Think I'll try that sometime this year. Stick around these parts and I'll find you before I attempt it.

Good God, I think I love you! :hug: :kisstwo: :hug:

Someday I'll do one of those tutorials I keep putting together and put all those fine points in there with illustrations. This was excellent. If I could give you reps twice I would, but they restrict that kind of thing.

Please accept my undying gratitude. That's the first time I read about the process that it made my mouth water with anticipation of my first run. Think I'll try that sometime this year. Stick around these parts and I'll find you before I attempt it.

Aw shucks .... thanks!

I will gladlywalk you through step by step if you have any questions feel free to hit me up any time!

I've made bubble 100's of times... And for the first couple of years getting it right really escaped me. One trick was, GENTLE agitation. I'd missed that part, and wow, that was huuuuge! I've had Pollinator. Bags, Bubble. Bags, and Bubble Magic. Bags are what's currently on tap. The Chinese bags on eBay, are utter shite. Inconsistent mesh count leads to garbage results.
The Bubble Bag. Brand bubble bags from Fresh Headies are expensive, but absolutely top shelf. Pollinator. Bags from Mila in Amsterdam are also great. Bubble Magic. brand bags are the best "value" bags I've used. On a budget, definitely Bubble Magic bags.
I also have one of those mini washing machine units I imported from Holland years back. They're okay-they use a 200u "pyramid" bag, then you drain them through your own bubble bags to process. Which means you only need a one gallon size, 220/73/25 set. For a microgrower, it's not a bad setup, but but a mini washing machine from Amazon, and you'll pay a lot less than from a Canna-specific website.
I use 20gal bags (220/160/73/25u) in a 30gal can, myself, but I've owned 1 & 5 gallon sets ad nauseum. I like the big setups myself, small bags are cramped & not real easy to use comfortably.

Fun Stuff:
If one mixes oil with bubble (at 25% oil/75 bubble) it's called "jelly hash."
I don't like oil myself, but combining the two is really good for patients who like the mellow taste of black hashish & don't like power hitting dab rigs. Plus, tasty terp recombinations .

Aw shucks .... thanks!

I will gladlywalk you through step by step if you have any questions feel free to hit me up any time!

I've made bubble 100's of times... And for the first couple of years getting it right really escaped me. One trick was, GENTLE agitation. I'd missed that part, and wow, that was huuuuge! I've had Pollinator. Bags, Bubble. Bags, and Bubble Magic. Bags are what's currently on tap. The Chinese bags on eBay, are utter shite. Inconsistent mesh count leads to garbage results.
The Bubble Bag. Brand bubble bags from Fresh Headies are expensive, but absolutely top shelf. Pollinator. Bags from Mila in Amsterdam are also great. Bubble Magic. brand bags are the best "value" bags I've used. On a budget, definitely Bubble Magic bags.
I also have one of those mini washing machine units I imported from Holland years back. They're okay-they use a 200u "pyramid" bag, then you drain them through your own bubble bags to process. Which means you only need a one gallon size, 220/73/25 set. For a microgrower, it's not a bad setup, but but a mini washing machine from Amazon, and you'll pay a lot less than from a Canna-specific website.
I use 20gal bags (220/160/73/25u) in a 30gal can, myself, but I've owned 1 & 5 gallon sets ad nauseum. I like the big setups myself, small bags are cramped & not real easy to use comfortably.

Fun Stuff:
I don't like oil myself, but combining the two is really good for patients who like the mellow taste of black hashish & don't like power hitting dab rigs. Plus, tasty terp recombinations .

Good information to know. Llama once recommended I go with mesh bags and stay away from the ones with plastic sides. They degrade over time and pollute the hash.

I'm on something of a rampage to persuade people to mix their oil with a carrier oil and some liquid sunflower lecithin and get it into capsules. No taste to deal with , unless you burp it up. :laughtwo: The formulations we've worked out in the study hall make the oil better than twice as bioavailable, so you get the healing on much less product.

Patients doing dabs is something that should be restricted to extreme need. That extreme dump of cannabinoids, done on a regular basis, will overwhelm the ECS and cause it to take CB1 receptors off line. If you're a patient this is the last thing you want to have happen.

~Pineapple Chunk~

Ugh.. Wtf am I supposed to do with this strain? As you may recall I just went through and tried to tidy this creature up - stripped a ton of foliage out in an effort to make it look like a normal plant. This is what I get repaid with.

IMG_074748.JPG

IMG_074853.JPG

I'll have to don a moon suit and try to hack a bunch more out.

If those buds are as larfy as they look in the photo, you have cooking herbs, not smoke. :laughtwo:

Totally diggn your set up there!:thumb: Question for ya...... do you find that paint mixer a little too aggressive for mixing with? I did the same thing for a while and found the leaf material would break down as well degrading the bubble hash. I read up on it and found guys saying too just use your hand to swish it around (makes for a freekn cold hand) and run the material multiple times over, they say like 3-4 times. I did this and wound up with less hash but way better quality.... I m guessing less because less leaf material?! Oh my reference for making the stuff primarily came from Jorge Servantez ( I m sure I slaughtered the spelling of his name) I d love your opinion on the topic:high-five:

Hey BB- I'll just address this post as is. Skunkworkz' take on it is a bit different in a couple details so this will give you something to bounce off of. I've had the Bubble brand bags for about eight years and have run a lot of hash making sessions through them in that time. Not 'hundreds' - but still a lot. In my early days the bubble bags got even more use because I was growing a lot of inferior bud and would scrap it to make good hash.

I've read the same stuff, online everywhere and from Jorge, about gentle agitation, and that was my MO for a long time. I used to just stir it gently by hand with a large wooden spoon.I did that for years. I was suitably horrified at the thought of being this rough with the process.
The paint mixer routine is just one I evolved into in the last couple years. Nowadays I just turn it on full blast and let it run to do its thing, and beat the crap out of the mix.

No I do not find that there's excess chlorophyll in the hash. Maybe it's because I'm using wet trim, consisting of mainly bud with higher grade sugar leaf- no leaf. It is a nice pale grey colour when it comes out. The third run is slightly darker grey than the first one, which is whitish. But there is no green colour, and the quality is great.

If you use dry trim and crushing it up fine into powder first before beating the crap out of it, you'll get much more extraneous plant matter in the hash. It's not necessarily anything terrible*- basically, it creates more bulk and your hash will be milder. It can still be very nice for smoking after a cure. Basically, you'll have hash that is about the same quality as the charas you get all over India and Nepal. It's pleasant but weak. You can smoke fairly large amounts of it.

* this may not be the case if you're using leaf. I'm not sure- I've never used leaf. I mostly use just bud.

Go to the other extreme- use frozen green bud and gentle agitation, and you'll get a smaller amount of higher grade hash. It will be stronger and gooier (never can figure out how to spell that word) with a better texture.

Now the big factor here is that I'm not setting out to make a tiny amount of AAA grade hash. If I was going to go that route I would make shatter or honey oil. I'm setting out to make a small- medium amount of A grade hash. It's still very good hash, believe me. Certainly better than 90% of the hash I've ever bought, and certainly the best hash in the land here locally. It's just something I make tiny amounts of, a few times a year.

So it's kind of a sliding scale of what quality you're trying to produce. But to answer your question- no I don't find the paint mixer too aggressive.

Curing is very important, of course. Uncured hash will tear your lungs out.

I use the 220 and 190 bags to strain. Then the 73 and 45 bags for collection. I usually do three runs.

Sometimes I'll run the 25 micron bag at the very end of the process. It's a real pain to use and I don't like the quality of the hash that comes out of it as much as the other bags. I used to assume that because it's the finest- it would be the best quality. Not so, at least at my place. More and more I lean towards just throwing out everything below 45 microns. Maybe I'll start making wine with it instead now.....

I was unaware one could use wet trim. This is intriguing. Fresh means more terpenes make it into the hash, particularly the monoterpenes that get lost in the drying process.

Do you freeze it before you process?

Aw shucks .... thanks!

Fun Stuff:

I was going to buy some 'iPower" bags off the river but figured they're probaby the same inconsistent Chinese junk they sell on eBay? But very good price, $30 for an 8 bag set.

I wanna try making some bubble hash, I'm tired of doing iso wash, I don't even get good yield out of it. I get like a 10% return :(

You ever do dry sift mate :thumb::passitleft:

If those buds are as larfy as they look in the photo, you have cooking herbs, not smoke. :laughtwo:

Believe it or not, that larf kind of condenses over flowering to form killer bud. Though there isn't always a great definition between the sugar leaf and the bud, but even the sugar leaf is super potent. This plant is the biggest contributor to the hash trimmings pile and makes extremely good hash.

It's just a weird plant. Trust me- this strain would so gone if it was just producing edibles grade larf.

Random notes- planted the three indica quest seeds yesterday morn. Boiled the glop on my woodstove down to less than a gallon and I'll either start a brew today or toss it in the freezer for now.

Hey Weasel, I feel like a total Numb nut for asking this but I m having a heck of a time finding info and or being able to ask in a new thread. I know you and the people that surround you are fantastic and o so knowledgable, figured this would be my best bet:thumb: I m looking for a new line and I thought I remembered someone on here talking about BPN....? Do you have any advice for a pro mix hp grower, any help would be greatly appreciated man thanks:Namaste:

Where am I now... anyone ever have trouble keeping up with their own journal? :laughtwo:

Sue- yes I definitely freeze all hash making material first. Even dried trim. The freezer is a good place to store this stuff, and it's necessary or at least very helpful for the process.

Once in a while I make a kickass batch of high grade hash for myself. I'll try putting extra love into it sometime and do a gentle mix with frozen green bud and cure it a year. Using alcohol or butane (which I don't like so much because it seems so toxic - but does make potent oil) makes good stuff. But in reality I can only smoke so much, and usually just want to get rid of the trimmings with as little work as possible and make 'good' level smoking hash.

Grizz I haven't really. I know PotChimp does that- so it must be good. I mean- I have tried screening in the early days before I got bubble bags. I didn't have a good setup and wasn't really impressed with what I got.

TF I posted a simple bag-free method of making water hash at the beginning of my second (Hexapus) journal. It will make a bit lower grade - I estimate about 25% more plant matter in the hash depending how you mix it. Works great and makes great hash though it won't be as strong as qwiso. It's the way I used to make it in the dark ages before I got bubble bags and long before I even started growing.
Bubble bags don't give a good return either. It's really just for extras except for certain very frosty strains.

Skunkworkz thanks for the info. I never heard the term 'jelly hash'. That's what I've done with qwiso and honey oil in the past though. I find it hard to work with- so I mix it in with a batch of bubble to make a gooier version of hash. Very dark black and very nice.

I was going to buy some 'iPower" bags off the river but figured they're probaby the same inconsistent Chinese junk they sell on eBay? But very good price, $30 for an 8 bag set.

I wanna try making some bubble hash, I'm tired of doing iso wash, I don't even get good yield out of it. I get like a 10% return :(

Yeah, those $30 bag sets are shite man. I've tried them. Horrible. Best avoided.
The best bags I believe use(d) silk on the bag bottoms. Not sure if Bubble Bags. still do or not. The Bubble Magic. Bags use nylon mesh but it's very high quality & the results have been very good.

You ever do dry sift mate :thumb::passitleft:

Of course. Dry ice sift, too, but imo the results were wholly unimpressive. If you like white kief I guess it's okay, but terps got lost in the process & the end product was forgettable, I thought.

How interesting, you can't tell from here that it's made of three different plants. Which one is the root? It looks like the longer it's developed the more the sections look like each other, or is that just me being inattentive?

On the other hand, I believe they're all sativas. You can see some minor leaf shape variation, but considering that they're all subjected to the exact same conditions, I don't find it so surprising that one can have a problem finding the borders.

2cents

The Panama is the rootstock. The plant is divided fairly evenly into three sections and you can more or less see it in the picture I've labelled. Yes I can still tell which strain section is which by looking at them- but I have to say that it's gotten increasingly harder to do so and I do think that they're all taking on some of the Panama structure. Usually I could tell at a glance what is Malawi, Mama Thai, or Panama, by the different leaves. Now not so much. Flowering will be interesting - curious to see what the buds are like.

Curious! Would adding lecithin to the water make any difference?
I do have some of that. I don't know. More research...

Now am I caught up? :)

Back
Top Bottom