Thanks Rabbi. Bob, in this site every post appears in linear fashion. If you want to quote a post then hit 'reply with quote' and you can also delete some of it to whittle that quote down to the specific part of it you mean to refer to, if you want. That helps keep things tidier than quoting a large post. Seems like you already figured that out though. .

:blunt:

:passitleft:
Thanks brother..

:passitleft: no worries mate.
Note to self. Stay home. Keep shit simple. Don't think too much or talk too much. Stick with just growing plants.

I need to learn how to do this as well.

~Veg~

Here are those sprouted Honduras and Golden Tiger seeds 4+ days after sprouting.

IMG_82135.JPG

The reason they are so spindly and stretched has to do with the sorry state of my veg room.

IMG_82125.JPG

There are 24 plants in there right now. About 15 strains. Most of them just starting to really take off, with absolutely nowhere to go. The 600w MH light has been on its dimmest setting (300w) for the last ten days.
These newly sprouted ones have been living parked in the top of the ten gallon Mama Thai pot, which you can see furthest to the right. They're down there if you zoom in. Pretty shady down there. There are three other big plants along the back wall and they all have little plants under them too. There are plants tucked in everywhere. I officially have no more space in veg. Like- none.
I was hoping to get rid of that Mama Thai into flowering soon. Still waiting on the next available space in flowering, which will be when the Critical Cheese in there gets chopped. I was hoping to leave that one at least another week because I think she might be turning a nice shade of purple in there. But in a week the veg room situation is going to be urgent, with at least six plants needing to fill the one vacant space.
Not much else being chopped any time soon. The Panama is a few weeks away I think. Mama Thai in a month. Shit...
Reality probably is I'll have to take some clone cuttings, then kill the big ones to buy time. But I'll coast in denial a little while longer.

~Grafts~

IMG_82102.JPG

The grafts are looking better all the time- they just make me happy somehow to look at them regenerate like this.
I could trim off the extra stem that's hanging off there, but I'm curious to see what will happen with it.

~Panama/Mama Thai/Malawi~

IMG_82113.JPG

'em r sum stretched babies! Why ya gotsta hate on 'em so much?
Meh.... just bury them a bit when you re-pot... hell... there's enough open room in the top of those pots, you could just fill them in more with your medium.... but I bet you've already had all these words float thru your head.

The endless space problems. It doesn't seem to matter how I upsize.... all available space will quickly be filled and I'm just back to square one again.

~Flowering~

IMG_82055.JPG

IMG_82064.JPG

-The right side. CBD Therapy closest, next to a Pineapple Chunk. Panama hiding in back and Critical Cheese in the back corner.

IMG_82073.JPG

CBD Therapy, P Chunk, and C Cheese all jumbled together.

IMG_82086.JPG

IMG_82094.JPG

Way back in the corner is the flowering older Critical Cheese. Colours don't show up with a shit under the HPS lights, but from past experience I can tell that this plant is starting to turn purple, and very quickly.
It's at 84 days flowering now. I was planning to leave it till 100 days, but I don't think I'll get that luxury.
This is a picture of the first time I harvested this plant.

image18031.jpeg
It would be nice to see it even purpler.

The stretchy ones won't bother me. I squeezed them into a little more light now, and put the fan on them.
If I had another light or two I'd be tempted to use it. Probably a good thing I don't have any, because I'd be growing plants on shelves up the walls and hanging from the ceiling.

Or- as you so kindly pointed out- I could sacrifice my center aisle which I use to access them with. Also, that wasted space you see will partly be gobbled up by the still stretching hex plants next to it.
Do I need access? :hmmmm:

Thanks Tead. Yeah I have to admit the plants are pretty happy right now overall. I'm seeing healthy plants everywhere now that I figured out the Panama better. :thumb:
Even the P Chunk is looking respectable for once.

What, sprouts aren't supposed to look like that? Most mine do. :laughtwo:

As for access, just crawl under the canopy and when you get to where you need to be just pop your head up like, well, a weasel, do what you need. No wasted space or light. But remember to leave a trail a bread crumbs so you can find your way back! :rofl:

Seriously, awesome plants!

~I officially have no more space in veg. Like- none.

well forge ahead then!!! ;) :cheer:

But in a week the veg room situation is going to be urgent...
Reality probably is I'll have to take some clone cuttings, then kill the big ones to buy time. But I'll coast in denial a little while longer.

then i think you should make some holes in the walls or attach some midrange shelving...or both. see, in my head, your grow room in this state will eventually morph into/become a ginormous room-sized version of one of those clay pots with the holes along the side, like they use for tomatoes and succulents...

hey, in all seriousness, i do have a question for you (and others)....and you so helpfully offered for me to post here until i get the hang of finding my way around this monstrosity.... (i think i'm getting better but good goddamn, some of the journals i'm reading are 100+ pgs--not complaining, tho!!)

anyhoo, it seems this is where all the smarty mcsmartypants hang anyway...

so i have a 1000w dimmable HID aircooled reflector light and i have read that dialing it down doesn't just reduce power/intensity but ALSO changes the spectrum put out by the bulb...

is this true?

and if so, then WTF with the dimmability? seems like an important thing to mention in say the product literature at least.... maybe i'm missing something or got some bad info....

thanks man. and i don't think i've officially said it anywhere around here yet but holy shit your set up and skillz are awesome.

Thanks for the comps friends .:thanks:

Busy day so I'm just passing through but your last post caught my eye Bob- I did do a bit of research on your very question and it's something I'm still pretty curious about. I've really only found one good article on the subject. I'll dig that link when I have more time- it's a good read if you like this sort of info.
-Basically-going by this one article anyway- the spectrum shifts, but only a little. That spectrum shift thing seems more just one of those things people like to repeat to each other, with no links to the data. Also people have concerns about explosions, fires, electrocution, being ridiculed in forums, etc

- A bigger factor is efficiency loss. The more a bulb is dimmed the more inefficient it is. If you dim a 1000 W bulb to 400 W -you will still be burning 400 W but you will not be getting near as much light as you would using a 400w bulb undimmed.
However that might not be much of an issue for most people when dimming the bulb- they wanted it dimmer after all.

Anyway- I don't think you have anything to worry about- go ahead and dim as you like. It's what I've been doing for five or six years and haven't had any issues. I just use the largest size bulb for the ballast.
I will order a lux metre and do some testing myself when I get a chance to order one. I can't find as much decent info on the effects of dimming as I want- and it would seem to me like an easy test.
If you Google that stuff online you find mostly what sounds like frightened teenagers fighting with each other about it and posting silly crap.

EDIT- here is the link I was thinking of. HID Lamp Dimming

Also here is a link to another short article which has some graphs of spectral output of dimmed bulbs. To get to the graphs watch for another link near the top of the article.
1000W Hortilux HPS Bulb Spectrum & Intensity as Wattage Changes - Growers House Review Lab

I have lots of questions around this issue, which I'll look into someday, but for now I appreciate having a dimmable ballast in veg, and use it constantly. The flowering lights always stay on 600w and I hardly ever dim them.

wow that was fast!! thanks, Weasel. no rush on the link, just post it if you think about it sometime, but yes, very very interested. i *knew* you'd know/already beentheredonethat.

those damn frightened teenagers...always mucking ish up

Back
Top Bottom