Weedian2112's 1st Grow Journal, 2019

Weedian2112

A most righteous and excellent day!

All the needed gear is on hand, and my seed shipment just got in, so I finally get to start my first grow journal . For my first stab at it, I am going to go for two plants and two strains. Acapulco Gold - a 70% Sativa dominant hybrid at 21% THC and LSD - a 70% Indica dominant hybrid at 25% THC - both Barney's Farms genetics.

This will be an indoor grow in a 3'x3'x6' grow tent, soil grow with Spiked Soil Dirt Martini as the base soil, and their Another Round (4-3-1) and Bloom Booze (1-8-1) fertilizers/nutrients during the grow. I also have the liquid nutrient soil trio from Fox Farms on hand if the Spiked Soil stuff isn't working. Lighting is a pair of Phlizon COB LEDs, and I will have a 190cfm inline fan with carbon filter, plus to small clip fans for air movement. The environment is climate controlled and will remain between 71 to 75 degrees and about 50-55% RH. Local tap water is about 8.2%, so I will be adjusting that during watering.

I just set the seeds into some glasses to soak overnight, and will be putting them into rapid rooters to start germination and then stage through two smaller pots until I get them into the final 5 gal pots. I will be trying LST with this grow as well.

Looking forward to this, and any advice you have for me.

IMG_4766.jpgIMG_4786.jpg

Welcome @Weedian2112 looks like you got all the setup covered! Overwatering is a huge issue in new grows. My advice is to learn how to stand letting your plants go WAY longer without water than how long you think they need to go. Plants in veg can go to withering without consequences if monitored properly, plants overwatered for a extended period of time go into the grave. Cheers mate, gl to your grow! :yahoo:

Welcome @Weedian2112 looks like you got all the setup covered! Overwatering is a huge issue in new grows. My advice is to learn how to stand letting your plants go WAY longer without water than how long you think they need to go. Plants in veg can go to withering without consequences if monitored properly, plants overwatered for a extended period of time go into the grave. Cheers mate, gl to your grow! :yahoo:

Thank you sir!

While waiting on all the goods to arrive I have spent a fair bit of time reading the forums, and I am bit nervous about timing my transfers and making sure that the watering and feeding schedule is on point, but I will be sure to update regularly with photos to pick up additional tips.

I’d suggest reading the how to water in my signature.

welcome to the forum. I’ve come to the right place!
Thanks man.

I have read that link on watering, and plan on following it closely. I am most concerned about timing my transplants, as it seems that getting a plant that is root bound is a bad thing, but it's also apparent that too early is just as bad.

I realize that as a growing noob I am going to make a fair bit of mistakes that will help me learn the craft, but hopefully I can keep them to a minimum.

Good to hear! As you mentioned it’s to early at the moment. I haven’t used those pucks in a while but I think you wait until you see some roots coming out of the bottom

good vibes :surf:

it’s going to be a long process. At times it will feel fast. Others (harvest) will seem to drag on. Enjoy the process.

the biggest piece of advice I could give a younger version of myself would be to really learn to listen to the plants. Don’t follow a strict water schedule. Wait for them to tell you they are thirsty. Keep the ph in range but don’t be afraid to float around the 6-7 zone.

Looking forward to this

A bit more progress. My Acapulco Gold has finally popped it's wee head up. The first seed I started was lagging behind the LSD quite a bit so I started a second Acapulco seed and that one just took off - it had pushed a root out of the bottom of the rapid rooter so I went ahead and moved it into it's first small container.

The original AG seed is in some weird kind of place where it has pushed a stem up but hasn't developed any leaves. I'll let it be and see if it does anything, but otherwise I'll be content to have these two for my first run.

Only other issue I have run into is that the soil may have been sitting at the shop for a bit too long and has dried and become somewhat hydrophobic. I've had to play with finding ways for it to retain water and re-hydrate so the plants do well. Ended up putting a bit of water in the bowl the LSD plant was in so that it would pull water up into the bottom of the planter. Since the AG started later I was able to prep the soil more before potting it.

I'll be spraying the rest of the bagged soil lightly for the next week to slowly build up the moister content in the soil to avoid this in the future.

IMG_4801.jpgIMG_4802.jpgIMG_4803.jpg

So I went ahead and transplanted up to larger pots. The plants had roots up against the walls of the small ones, so I figured it was a good time to move up. Add a bit of nutrient to the mix, a bit of 4-3-1 to give the plants something more to work with.

The soil has been a bit frustrating, I guess the bag was sitting and the plant shop too long and became very hydrophobic. I had to spend a lot of time essentially massaging water into it to get it to the right hydrated consistency. I'm planning on watching the plants closely and giving them a good bit of time before I try to water again. The AG still continues to lag behind the LSD in growth rate, hopefully this helps it along.

IMG_4839.jpgIMG_4840.jpg

Been busy with the holiday schedule, but I got my plants upgraded into the 5 gal planters today. Did a bit more on the LST, and I trimmed a couple leaves here and there I get the feeling that I am going to have to do some more before I start flowering. And I'm not 100% sure when to start that. Plants are just a touch over a month old now, so from what I have read, I should wait another 30 days, but I am open to any and all advice. These photos were taken right after the move so they got a bit of water on them afterwards.

The LSD is looking a bit droopy, but it perks right back up after a watering - which it seems to need more frequently.

The Acapulco is just chugging right along without a care in the world.

IMG_4947.jpg
IMG_4948.jpg
IMG_4949.jpg

Well, I have to say i am amazed at these plants. In just a couple of days under flowering lights they have grown considerably. The Gold has added 5 inches in just a few days and is sitting at 18 inches, and the LSD is right behind it at 17. They look really healthy - at least to my novice eyes - and I'm just chuffed at how they are doing.

I'm sure I need to do some trimming, but I'm just not sure where to start.

IMG_4965.jpg
IMG_4963.jpg
IMG_4961.jpg
IMG_4962.jpg

Back
Top Bottom