QT's Second Grow - 1st Journal

re: QT's Second Grow - 1st Journal

Hi QTL -

In general, if you are feeling that some of the smaller buds are getting crisp, you can jar if for a while to bring some of the moisture back out. Maybe jar it overnight if you think they're feeling a little dry on the outside, and then check in the morning. In the morning the moisture should be redistributed, and you might be surprised at how moist they feel again. Take them back out for a while, in paper bags or a drying box, and rejar. After a while, you'll just need to open the jars for a little each night to "burp" them. I do the burping for weeks usually. This is a condensed version of what works for me - I start by hanging them for a couple of days (depends on humidity - you might need a few at least). When they get like you say, I follow the steps I laid out. Hope this helps! Congrats on the harvest. :thumb:

Went to check CannaVanna and noticed the lights weren't on. So I am thinking wtf? After further investigation, found out my hps bulb blew. I don't have a replacement just the Mh bulb that came with the light. Will using that cause my plants in flower to go back into veg? I hope not cause I can't replace it til the end of the month. Should I be freaking out?!?

Sent from my LG-P505 using Forum Runner

Went to check CannaVanna and noticed the lights weren't on. So I am thinking wtf? After further investigation, found out my hps bulb blew. I don't have a replacement just the Mh bulb that came with the light. Will using that cause my plants in flower to go back into veg? I hope not cause I can't replace it til the end of the month. Should I be freaking out?!?

Should I be freaking out?!?

NO! It's not a big deal. All that's important for flowering is to have at least 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness.

You can use any type of lighting you want. I used my MH for the first six weeks of flowering on the crop I just harvested, and I loved it. I got lots of flack from people reading my journal, so I swapped it out for my HPS.

I was curious to see how well it would flower with just MH. I'm sure it would have turned out fantastic if I kept the MH on the whole time.

You can get a cheap HPS from Phillips for $23. or a

Plusrite 400 Watt HPS Lamp E39 Clear for $9.99.

Digilux 400 Watt HPS Grow Bulb for $70.43. (Also found a site that's sells for $49.95)

A Hortilux Super HPS is great and it's environmentally friendly (the metal oxides used are not toxic), but they cost around $80 - $90.

These prices are for 400W bulbs, by the way. Not sure what you're using.

Thanks Grant, Aston told me the same thing. But you say that you had just used a mh during a grow? How was it? What was that like for the plants?

Yep, you're in good shape, having a spare bulb around in a time like that! Hell, you could throw CFLs on them and it would still stay flowering (don't do that if you have a spare MH bulb lol, just saying) I actually know a few ol' school growers, who are stuck in their ways, that grow exclusively with MH, all the way through...

QTL said:
Thanks Grant, Aston told me the same thing. But you say that you had just used a mh during a grow? How was it? What was that like for the plants?

I used it during the first 6 weeks of flowering and the flowers and trichomes looked great! An HPS is better than a MH for flowering, but a MH would work fine throughout the whole flowering cycle.

Quixilvir said:
I actually know a few ol' school growers, who are stuck in their ways, that grow exclusively with MH, all the way through...

I'm almost one of them, LOL!

Hmm this makes me wanna experiment. I have 3 plants that have been in flower between 1-4 weeks. Plus i am going to move one of my bagseed plants in. Well they're all bagseed but it will be interesting to see how it will be under just mh light. I plan on getting another hps light. I am trying to find out what kind of bulb i need or can i use any brand of hps.

I am trying to find out what kind of bulb i need or can i use any brand of hps.

A couple of posts ago, I mentioned some brands that range in price from $9.99 to $90.00. The only difference is that the more expensive ones have a better spectrum of usable light. Hortilux claims their bulbs generate 17% more usable lumens than their rivals.

By the way, it's probably a good thing your HPS bulb burned out. They're not like regular bulbs, good to use until they burn out. The luminosity fades over time, but isn't noticable to your eyes. In other words, the longer you use a bulb, the lower its efficiency gets. I was told I should replace my (expensive) Hortilux Super HPS even thought it seems to be working fine.

I was strong-armed into buying the Hortilux in the first place by Sensei Marijuana. Who am I to argue with 15 years growing experience?

So, go with your heart or go with your wallet. They will all work fine (as long as you get the correct wattage for your ballast).

A couple of posts ago, I mentioned some brands that range in price from $9.99 to $90.00. The only difference is that the more expensive ones have a better spectrum of usable light. Hortilux claims their bulbs generate 17% more usable lumens than their rivals.

By the way, it's probably a good thing your HPS bulb burned out. They're not like regular bulbs, good to use until they burn out. The luminosity fades over time, but isn't noticable to your eyes. In other words, the longer you use a bulb, the lower its efficiency gets. I was told I should replace my (expensive) Hortilux Super HPS even thought it seems to be working fine.

I was strong-armed into buying the Hortilux in the first place by Sensei Marijuana. Who am I to argue with 15 years growing experience?

So, go with your heart or go with your wallet. They will all work fine (as long as you get the correct wattage for your ballast).

I will probably go with both my heart and my wallet. Just for kicks and since the plants are really still in the beginning stages of flowering, I will let them continue under the mh just to see what the results will be. If it is considered old school using a mh, it must show some nice results. Or that's my thinking anyway. They will be getting chopped close to the time it will be for me to move so I will buy the hps bulb afterwards....

The only thing planned today is to flush CannaVanna...She is set for the chopping block on Sunday. Though I did take a sample and put it in the box to dry...Why? I guess because I was so impressed with Miss Budd when I put her in the box. There is such a major difference between quick drying and letting it dry naturally.

And off topic, I have been feeling blessed. I finally got my hearing aids today. So I am ready for you now Aston and Lovevibes with those videos. Though it would still be nice if people would consider putting captioning in their videos for us hearing impaired folk.

Well i decided to chop CannaVanna after all. Weight weight 118g. I am pleased with that. Would've been more if not for the sampling along the way. This journal is pretty much a wrap. I will post a smoke report when it is dried in the box and before curing. Then again after.

I thank everyone for following along. Too many to name but special thanks to bpn.

Thanks Guys. It was a great grow indeed. Full of information thanks to those who left their advice and experience.....

Checked on the buds in the box...temp is reading 76 and humidity is at 43. Buds are still moist. I read temp should be around 68 and humidity around 55. So this has me a little concerned. Should I take the lid of the box to let it get more air? No light can get in, got windows covered and door closed. Its the same room my plants are flowering in. I usually check the buds at least 3 times a day to turn them. This has me a little concerned.

Aston-- That would be great but an oz doesn't last us long over here. Thats why in the future I would like to have a set up that would have me harvesting a plant or two about every week or two.

We're like Puff the Magic Dragon over here...lol..Though the harvesting of CannaVanna is bittersweet since my mentor, CannaVince hasn't been around. But I know he would be proud of me along with a few others who have vanished since I first came here. Believe it or not, I think about them from time to time.

I feel ya on that sista, don't you go thinking that I have drifted off as well, I am always checking in on ya, but seeing as how you have been more of the giver than the sponge now, I have no needs to come and throw my pennies in here anymore.

With being a part of staff now, I have more to do here in the site, so commenting in on everyones journals the way I did is a little harder now... But like I said, I am watching over you still, always here for ya.

:peacetwo:

I feel ya on that sista, don't you go thinking that I have drifted off as well, I am always checking in on ya, but seeing as how you have been more of the giver than the sponge now, I have no needs to come and throw my pennies in here anymore. With being a part of staff now, I have more to do here in the site, so commenting in on everyones journals the way I did is a little harder now... But like I said, I am watching over you still, always here for ya.:peacetwo:

Oh, I know you haven't deserted me and the things you have going on now. Sponge huh? I try to do both now but I still consider myself a sponge. I just don't ask as many questions now..lol.. But since this journal is coming to a close, I can spend more time focusing on the newbies. But what I need from you if you don't mind is some of those fantastics visuals you have so I can spread the love visually. I think you have some in both my journals. So if you don't mind can I use those in the future? I will always give you credit though I think most of your pics are tagged anyways. But I would rather ask your permission then to just post them.

Thanks Guys. It was a great grow indeed. Full of information thanks to those who left their advice and experience.....

Checked on the buds in the box...temp is reading 76 and humidity is at 43. Buds are still moist. I read temp should be around 68 and humidity around 55. So this has me a little concerned. Should I take the lid of the box to let it get more air? No light can get in, got windows covered and door closed. Its the same room my plants are flowering in. I usually check the buds at least 3 times a day to turn them. This has me a little concerned.

Aston-- That would be great but an oz doesn't last us long over here. Thats why in the future I would like to have a set up that would have me harvesting a plant or two about every week or two.

Hi QT!

I think your temps and RH for drying should be fine, but I'd make sure there is some air movement - doesn't have to be blowing on them directly, but the air shouldn't be stagnant. I usually hang mine in a small room, and have a fan blowing under them gently (never directly on them). Keeps mold risk at bay, and doesn't dry them out too much. So, personally, I'd do what you need to do to get some air moving around them. That's just what works for me. :)

Oh, and an ounce doesn't last long here either. Wish it did!
:cheer:

Back
Top Bottom