Alaskan Thunderfuck Fem - Soilless Grow

Moving right along and on track...

That SLH is an interesting looking sativa. Heard nothing but good about it. Curious to see how she grows for you. That has a long flower period does it not? Grown mostly sativa in my day. Need a lot of patience to harvest, seems to take forever.

Best of Luck!

Thanks SmokzAlot. It has an average of 9-10 weeks flowering time, a little more than the ATFs. It's not going to look pretty, using it for cloning practice and all. Now that Neville's Haze in there is around 15 weeks flowering time, which is going to be a trial in patience. I may wind up cloning it, also. As far as a keeper mother plant, I'm not sure. One of them, or a Grandaddy Purple.

Looking good, PC.. Nice clean set-up. What kind of cab set up are you using? I'm using a 3-tier shelf with new home signs hinged on the sides for covering. It works, but there's light leaks and cramped space.

The SLH looks like a spicy plant! Subbed for the neville's haze :high-five: I've always wanted to try to grow it out, heard its a great sativa. Green mojo to you and your plants! :goodluck:

Thanks, Live.
I have a 20" x 36" x 62" grow tent these are in. Part of the intake is passive and part is helped by a 6" 180 cfm inline hardware fan. Output is a 6" inline 424 cfm and I have bag CO2 (fermentation type I believe) for small grows.
I'm looking forward to the Neville's Haze grow myself. I've got a few long runners up my sleeve in the future (Dr. Grinspoon, Golden Tiger and 2046 to name a few; got the seeds already). Got some Ducksfoot I want to try too. I'll have to check on your Satori grow 'cause I plan on pulling those seeds out of the freezer and trying them in the next year.
:peace:

I flushed all 4 of the ATFs and the SLH with Fox Farms Sledgehammer about 1/2 hour ago. It's official; the 8-9 week countdown from today to chop (9-10 for the SLH). I was inspecting the plants and saw a few hairs on one, and upon further inspection saw hairs on all 5. I was hoping the SLH would get a little bigger but oh well I'll take clones from it during flower. They are all small, but they'll grow a little yet. I should be able to squeeze clones in here and there and still have room for the NH. I'll give them the first flowering dose of nutes in a few days and I'll post pics soon.

:welldone: Great set-up.
How do you like the co2 bag? I was using yeast in sugar water hooked up to a bottle of water, then line going around the tent. I don't think it made much of a difference.. Interesting strain, ducksfoot. Well I'll be tuned into your station here. Good luck with your grow :high-five:

What breeder did you get the nevills haze from? Feminized seeds? And are you going to put them into flower right away since it can be 15 wks are longer to bloom.

Thanks,
Flip

Flowering - Day 2 :
003847.JPG

This picture doesn't show it well, but the hairs are starting on the SLH
005757.JPG

and the ATFs
006651.JPG

Here's the little NH
004788.JPG

This is the day following the Sledgehammer flush, and as soon as the plants need watering again I will put in the (2) 250w HPS bulbs and give them all (except the NH) their first dose of flowering nutes.

What breeder did you get the nevills haze from? Feminized seeds? And are you going to put them into flower right away since it can be 15 wks are longer to bloom.

Thanks,
Flip

This Neville's Haze strain is the one from The Greenhouse Seed Company and is a fem seed, Flipper. As soon as I watched the Arjan & Franco video for NH and saw the massive size difference between switch to 12/12 and harvest, I realized that I had to put these into 12/12 right off the bat and not veg them out because of my growing height restrictions. Man, they were both standing next to the plant in the video and said they were gonna put it into flowering and it was about the size of a potted poinsettia, then they dimmed the camera and came back on like it was a couple weeks later standing next to a yard hedge and said it's starting to show signs of bloom and I said WHA?, Oh, no! and some other things I better not say but that was already after I planted it so what's a chimp to do? Should be interesting if it lives.....

:welldone: Great set-up.
How do you like the co2 bag? I was using yeast in sugar water hooked up to a bottle of water, then line going around the tent. I don't think it made much of a difference.. Interesting strain, ducksfoot. Well I'll be tuned into your station here. Good luck with your grow :high-five:

Thanks, Live. To be honest I haven't really noticed a difference with this type of CO2 either. I'll be able to give you a better answer in a few months. In my second grow closet I have (3) separate 150w HPS enclosed ballast lights, but after adding up the numbers I realize that I can use a 400w MH/HPS remote ballast system and get about 6,000 more lumens while cutting out 50w of energy. After giving it more thought I realized that if I add the flanged enclosed reflector I can get rid of the 6" fan inside the closet, too (20-25w, maybe?). Now the CO2 will drop directly onto the plants and stay in the grow area, not be blown around and quickly pulled out of the area by the inline fan venting I use now. Yeah, I can't wait to see that ducksfoot myself; gonna be fun.....

Soon as I can afford it I will be purchasing a C02 system. People I have talked to said the bags really don't make that much of a difference in the larger tents. Perhaps the smaller area grows it does help.
I spend more money on these plants then I do on myself lol go figure!
Things lookin very good here PotChimp! :welldone:
Reps to you there buddy.

Thanks for the reps and me too with the money. I could have bought a nice used car with the dough I've spent so far. But at least I'm not driving a nice used car around all high from smokin' weed so I guess it kind of works out in a weird way. Indoor horticulture makes smoking weed affordable and the local gas station makes driving unaffordable, so in the long run it's probably money well spent..... :)

:)that's why i mentioned it to start flowering that NH asap. Just top, bend and lollipop and bush it as much as you can. The haze like a lot of light and humidity on the high side.

Flip

this is from another grower in this site a couple of years ago concerning atf and alot of reading on the internet about it if you look it up the only way you can get real atf is through clones and knowing someone up in the valley who has them everything else sold as atf is not the real thing

Matanuska Valley Thunder Fuck

Sometimes incorrectly called Alaskan ThunderFuck or Matanuska ThunderFuck and for awhile in the 1970s they were in fact the same thing. Lower 48 usually called it ATF because none of the stoners could pronounce Matanuska. A Sativa brought to Alaska by way of California in the late 60's - early 1970's.

In the late 70's - early 80's some 'tard thought it might be good to cross this Sativa with an Indica...not a bad idea but they forgot to keep the original Sativa strain around... hence "tard"

99.9% of the clones and buds you see out there called ATF, MTF or MVTF are all the same MVTF / Indica crossbreed or variations of the same.

They are NOT the real MVTF, ATF or MTF... PERIOD.

Kinda like the Acapulco Gold strains going around now, close but not the real thing.......

My mothers oldest brother lived in the Matanuska Valley area since he got out of the Army in 1968. I got to visit him many times in the 70's and 80's. He was an old hippie after the military... my favorite Uncle. Sadly he died falling off of a mountain path near there a couple of years ago. They think he started having a heart attack then fell. A hiking path he walked every single Saturday for 40 years.......baked. He made it into his late 70's and had a nice, peacefully stoned life. My Aunt is still messed up from his death, they were high school sweethearts married 50+years.

Uncle John

My Uncle John told me a few times that it could still be found but that most of what is out there called MVTF is not the real thing. The long quoted post up there ^^^ about the 30 year old from Matanuska is very close to what my Uncle told me about MVTF.... The REAL Matanuska Valley Thunder Fuck is Sativa dominant not Indica.

WillyB

Unfortunately that seems to be the problem with every named strain out there, Chronichemphog. After I bought the first round of OG Kush (finally in seed form!!!!!) :) I read similar stories about it. The real Skywalker OG is supposedly Sativa or Sativa dominant, but the new strain (finally in seed form!!!!!) :) says something about it being the same as OG Kush only produces a better yield (Kush? Say wha?). Let the buyer beware. Most of us don't have good California-like connections, and there are many out there who will take advantage of that. A lot of talk about legendary weed out there; looking forward to smoking some of it someday and putting to rest my theory that these legendary strains are somewhere out in the forest being grown by Bigfoot. Ain't smoked a weed yet that has enough hair on its a$$ to even raise an eyebrow.
Good info; thanks!

:)that's why i mentioned it to start flowering that NH asap. Just top, bend and lollipop and bush it as much as you can. The haze like a lot of light and humidity on the high side.

Flip

I had a feeling from the thin leaves and sparse foliage that NH has that it was one of those strains that adapted itself to a subtropical or equatorial climate. I'll have to read up on methods to increase humidity. I don't have room to put a humidifier, and I'm running about 40% Rh instead of the recommended 60%. I'll err on the side of caution, and start out with half strength nutes at first until it gets big enough.

It sounds like you have a project going on. A lot of different strains at once. But your knowledge of growing is good so i know things will work out for you.

I agree with you about kush in CA. Much too many stories and crossed. They are using other names of strains like skywalker which is a dp strain and say it has nothing to do with the original. Also people in CA. said kush is a sativa? I told them why take a indica and try to cross the indica out of the kush with sativas and then say kush is a sativa. But the og crossed and stories continue.

Flowering - Day 4 :
008583.JPG

The Super Lemon Haze (needing the week 5 Fox Farms w/Superlicious and Cal-Mag I just fed it before these pics)
012370.JPG

The soon-to-be-clones SLH side view (as you can see, I topped the plant to encourage side growth for clones and to keep the height down when I flower the rest of the plant out)
010497.JPG

One of the Alaskan Thunderfucks
013358.JPG

A node view of another ATF
009536.JPG

Neville's Haze (I just gave it RO water w/Cal-Mag)
015300.JPG

I hope I can keep this grow looking okay; my last ones got me high but finished out looking like poop.

Back
Top Bottom