Bassman's 6th - RDWC - Hi-Defoliation Martian & Master Kush

Re: Bassman's 6th, BPN, RDWC, Hi-Defoliation, Hi-Yield Martian & Master Kush grow.

P1220001.JPG

Did you have this tied and then remove the wire or whatever you used?

Re: Bassman's 6th, BPN, RDWC, Hi-Defoliation, Hi-Yield Martian & Master Kush grow.

Did you have this tied and then remove the wire or whatever you used?

not tied. Less than 24 hrs and thats what she looks like.

nice healthy growth mate. they big plants, personally i woulnt let them get that big as they will grow to big on flip, but i suppose its strain dependant.

They were flipped on the 12th! The Martian Kush is just going NUTS! Both Martian Kush are approximately 24" tall and 32-34" wide! And that's after I super cropped a good 6" off the tallest branches!

While the Master Kush are about 19" tall x 20" wide.

The internode spacing on all four girls is really tight too! Tons of off shoots and flowering nodes. This is due to the defoliation in veg as it promotes such tight node spacing.

We're at 12 days of 12/12. I'm going to have to pay super close attention to the Martian Kush and probably do the 21 day stripping on them very early. Like maybe day 16. This should shut down stretch on them hard. Even that may be too late. If the quality is good on the Martian Kush, it might be a yield keeper.

I know it's way to early to say, but I'm starting to think this grow could be substantially better yield than last grow which was about 26 oz dry. That is if I can keep height down low enough to where I can get max width of light and full penetration.

In two days I'll reduce the light on time to 11.5 hrs, and reduce it by a half hour every week until harvest as described in Twelve12's blog here: The Gas Lantern Routine for Growing Cannabis

This is really going to be an interesting grow!

not tied. Less than 24 hrs and thats what she looks like.

Did you do a bend/break that will cause a 'knuckle' somewhere? That sharp curve is what happens when I tie a branch down. That's why I asked. I guess I don't see how you made it bend right there. Maybe what I'm seeing is a long branch that has been bent further down (but higher in terms of elevation now) resulting in the 'top' of the branch being angled down like this?

I apologize for asking about the picture again. I'm sure I'm just being dense. I haven't medicated yet today. Maybe if I go smoke a bowl and come back I'll see it clearly. LOL

:roorrip:

No problem hiker.

If you follow that branch all the way up, you can barely see a sharp point. Just under that point you see a branch going straight down. That point is the crease and where I twist-bent the branch. She'll knuckle up in a few days. The 90 degree upwards bend of the branch inside the red box is just where they naturally turn upwards to the light.

So yes, it is angled down, then she turns upwards. She'll knuckle at the hard bend.

No problem hiker.

If you follow that branch all the way up, you can barely see a sharp point. Just under that point you see a branch going straight down. That point is the crease and where I twist-bent the branch. She'll knuckle up in a few days. The 90 degree upwards bend of the branch inside the red box is just where they naturally turn upwards to the light.

So yes, it is angled down, then she turns upwards. She'll knuckle at the hard bend.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought maybe I was seeing the bend, but it's hard to tell if it's just another branch in back. I have to keep reminding myself you're already well into the stretch. I keep looking at these pics thinking these plants look awful leggy, then catch myself, "oh ya, he's already flowering".

haha sorry mate, i must have missed that u had already flipped. my ignorance.....

they looking good though. so what sort of improvement do you think u will see this round?

No worries.

Hard to say. It's really too early. But after looking in this morning, 2.5 hrs after lights on, I had to pinch some more branches over. And the sheer mass of the Martian Kush is just wow. And they still should have 8 days of stretch to go. The Master Kush is much less overall stretch but both are very bushy as well. And the smallest one actually could be a very high yield with 4 symmetrical top branches spaced out in 15 min intervals on a clock, with the middle nothing but off shoots of flowers.

In a perfect world, over 2 #'s. But I don't really know. The Martian Kush is a strain I've not done before, but they do say it stretches a whole lot. And it is!

do u think they are going to get too big again or do u think u have it dialled. thats why i love AMS its very, very branchy but doesnt get really tall. couple foot max but bud everywhere. only downside is theres several phenos and it took me some time to find the right one.

do u think they are going to get too big again or do u think u have it dialled. thats why i love AMS its very, very branchy but doesnt get really tall. couple foot max but bud everywhere. only downside is theres several phenos and it took me some time to find the right one.

Based on the day of 1212 I do think they are going too big. Sadly, I had 2 Master Kush beans that didnt take and thus had to throw in the Martian Kush because the wait to get more Master Kush would put them too far behind. I also had not grown Martian Kush before. I knew the description mentioned they like to stretch and they like being pinched. I just didnt realize how much and how fast they'd stretch!

There's still 8 days or more of stretch to come. I know there is no way in hell I can let them stretch that far. I must say, the Martian Kush is a very interesting strain. Hell it may be a keeper even if I get her well figured out. We'll have to see how the quality is and if it's a strain I want to use with my height limitations and tent. I think this would be a nutso great strain (quality dependent) using vertical lighting combined with defoliation. But that's not possible for me.

I have about 14" of light adjustment left. The issue of course is the Master Kush being more dialed in, will be further from the light and canopy will be uneven. But because I do have 8 days or so of stretch remaining, my thinking is if I hit the Martian Kush hard with defoliation the stunting of stretch may allow the Master Kush to catch up enough.

I wish I wasn't such a cheapskate sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I prefer to buy quality. But when it came to tents I decided to save the money and buy 4x4 initially. Found that to be too small and went to 5x5 when what I wanted was 5x8. Now I'm seeing 5x5 is too small if I'm going to grow plants this wide. And it makes it a pain in the ass to get into the back even with side windows. I've easily got over $500 tied up in tents and had I just gone with a 5x9 gorilla grow tent I could have been growing 6 plants and had room to maneuver
and offered more light and only been out another $200. Now I'm looking at still buying this same 5x9. The extra 20 sq feet would allow two raptor hoods, 2k watts, and almost 5 more watts per sq foot. More importantly the watts per plant would increase dramatically. Especially with middle overlap. Adding 4 feet of width with only 2 more plants would give me some really good room and allow better training. As it is now, any bend could potentially shade the plant next to it to some degree.

Here's some pics from today:

Smallest Master Kush in height. Excellent and damn near perfect width, height, and branching:

P12400012.JPG
P12400022.JPG
P12400042.JPG

Next Master Kush. I bit taller, not as spread perfectly, but tons of node branching!
P12400042.JPG
P1240005.JPG

P12400081.JPG
P1240006.JPG

wider view inside tent:
P1240007.JPG

Missed a pic. The Master Kush shorty:
P12400032.JPG

Looking excellent. I am going to definitely have to try a single plant grow in my closet using your method. I might be able to get 2 in there. Either way what you do is amazing. I hope I can do it as well as you someday. I think it will definitely be harder knowing that I am a soil grower but I do Have the potential if I get dialed in.

looks nice mate. once u get it dialled in u have forecer to get monster yields, thats why u are figuring out ur set up now. it takes a few grows to get it exactly how u want then u wont look back mate. Remember all u are doing now is experimenting and learning what is good for u. And once u have it figured out u'll be laughing bro.

totally agree Cult.

Hey Bass, plants look great from here. You got the Master K dialed in, if the Martian had a little less veg, it would be about the same.

Excellent - I've finally found one of your grows near the beginning, rather than right at the end where I normally catch them! Looking great so far mate and I'm looking forward to seeing this one all the way through

Hey Green Knight! Sorry I missed this post. Welcome! Glad you could make it in early!

Hey Bass, plants look great from here. You got the Master K dialed in, if the Martian had a little less veg, it would be about the same.

Funny thing is they were 1 week behind from seed popping. Just massive stretch! And really, they bush up damn good! If the quality is up there it could be something to consider running often.

I look in today and just shake my head at how massive these plants are for this period. I kinda want to do some more major bending. But at the same time, I want to wait till I defoliate so I get a better picture and bend more optimally. Today is only day 14 in 12/12 and the Master Kush is still 9" behind. But it does tend to stretch a bit more, a little later. In reality, the front left plant which is Master Kush is the prettiest plant I've grown and perfectly dialed I think. I could be wrong, but I think it's near perfect for this technique. Unfortunately, if the big ass Martian Kush behind here is trained perfectly it will end up shading out some light to the Master Kush. I'm trying to wait till Sunday to defoliate both Martian Kush.

I measured the big Master Kush. She's 28-29" tall and 33" wide. And the width is all around, bud to bud, not outer leaf to outer leaf! She's actually at perfect max height right now, and about 4-5" wider than goal. I'll measure her again tomorrow and see how much growth there is, but probably still shoot for Sunday defoliate. I know with bending I can lose at least a couple inches.

The smallest Master Kush is 19" tall at peak and 24" wide. Again bud to bud width. Optimally, I'd like to see her make it to 27-28" tall, and maybe 3-4" more width.

RH is high right now at 59%. But that's because of all the leaves transpiring so much. Once I defoliate that's going to drop dramatically. And temps are basically perfect with a high in the 79-82 range and night time 69-71.

They are really transpiring butt loads of water. I'm adding 2-3 gallons of straight ro water every day. No nutrients since the ppm is not moving a ton. It's basically down 50 ppm since res change Sunday. That's a little low, which generally means I fed them a little too hot. It just so happens I even said it was a little too hot on res change day. Ideally, I'd like to see 60ppm drop per 3 days. Anything less says they've been overfed. Anything more says they need a hotter mix. But I am getting the exact ppm they like narrowed down a bit. I think what they are going to like is going to be real close to 2.1 e.c. or 1050 ppm on .500 conversion meter. But I could be wrong, it may be less.

Took a gander at Nug of the Month contest. I entered a nug from last harvest. I'm sitting in 2nd place, 6 votes behind. I really like this nug, she came out great. And I got a chance still! If you havent voted, take a look! Vote what ya like, I aint trying to get biased votes. I personally like Cultivators and mine the most :high-five: but I am a little biased!

420 Magazine's Nug of the Month - January 2013

I like the martian kush heck I like em both. As always bass your the man

Thanks Azm. I said a long time ago I wouldnt grow different strains in the same grow. This is the reason why. But I can only blame myself for not having backup Master Kush seeds when 2 didn't take and I had to add something. In reality, I probably would have been better off going through all my seeds and finding the most indica dominate. Where I got the Martian Kush they do mention they really like to stretch. I just didn't heed the warning. Now lets hope the quality is there!

Update:

Day 15 in 12/12, day 8 in flower

So I pulled the trigger today on the Martian Kush and defoliated them 6 days early. This should really shut down the stretch. I hate to do it but they just need to have the breaks put on them.

So they aint as fat as we though now huh? It was all leaves that made them look so fat. I did rotate them some so the perspective is a little off, but taking so much weight in leave off of branches will also make them not lean as wide. I'm going to have to do some lateral bending soon now, probably tomorrow. I'll also start putting up my strands of string to support the branches I bend.

The Master Kush really look great. But I had to raise the light today and I fear it's a little too far away. But it may also promote a little more stretch and help get them more even to the Martian Kush. If I get the bending where I like it tomorrow, it would allow me to lower the light some. Undecided on doing that though.

Check out the pics:

Biggest Martian Kush before and after defoliating:

P1260002.JPG
P1260003.JPG
P1260007.JPG

Right side Martian Kush before and after defoliation:
P1260004.JPG
P1260008.JPG

Master Kush, not defoliating till 21 days. This is the short n sexy girl.
P1260006.JPG
P1260009.JPG
P1260010.JPG

Master Kush, the taller, less wide girl:
P1260005.JPG

5 Gal bucket near full of plucked leaves from two Martian Kush:
P1260012.JPG

Back
Top Bottom