Bassman's 6th - RDWC - Hi-Defoliation Martian & Master Kush

Re: Bassman's 6th, BPN, RDWC, Hi-Defoliation, Hi-Yield Martian & Master Kush grow.

Yea, they require different cords to the ballast. I got a 240v with my ballast as well as 110 since I kinda knew I might end up there. Gotta buy 240v timer now too.

Re: Bassman's 6th, BPN, RDWC, Hi-Defoliation, Hi-Yield Martian & Master Kush grow.

Hey bass is it safe to use same 110 cord but just rewire a 240 plug end to it instead of buying separate cord?

No way man.

I've not had issue using ph up.

Adding about 5 liters per day already just to maintain water level. It doesnt make enough difference in a 15-18 gal system.

Planning on res change for Sunday and switching from transition nutrients to full bloom mix. I'll mix the nutrients about 3 hrs or so before I res change so the ph stabilizes.

really? ive never experienced that. but i also mix my base nute and let it sit a couple hours to stabilise.

Interesting. I've never heard of anyone letting the nutrients sit to "stabilize". Do you guys think there are chemical reactions still taking place hours after mixing the solution? Obviously there will always be some reactions occurring due to evaporation and such, but I feel the solution is about as homogeneous as it's going to get within seconds of mixing it well. The only reason I would "wait' for a reservoir is to assure thorough mixing. If my res if full (50g), it takes my mixing pump ~10 minutes to cycle through the entire reservoir. I flood every 3 hours, so as long as I mix the new reservoir at least 15 minutes before the next feeding, I'm OK. I also give the reservoir a good stirring manually, so in reality, the reservoir is probably ready to go immediately IMHO.

Hey bass is it safe to use same 110 cord but just rewire a 240 plug end to it instead of buying separate cord?

No way man.

Why do you say that Bassman?

DocDee, if the plugs at the ballast end are the same, then you could, in theory, just change the plug on the outlet end of the cord. My question would be why. I suspect the plug will cost nearly as much as the cable. If you do decide to modify your existing cable, make sure your connections are very secure. Screw them down tighter than you might think is necessary. As my electrician brother says, as long as you don't strip anything out, you can't over-tighten the connections.

I'm not trying to contradict Bassman. I know where he is coming from. Honestly, if you had to ask if you can change the plug, his answer is probably the prudent one. ;)

The wiring in 220 vs 110 is substantially different. 110 can not handle the current. Never alter electrical unless you know what you are doing. The last thing some one needs is to die in a fire when trying to save a few bucks for growing weed. Just my .02. :)

Well now you guys got me worried. Maybe I should of asked before I did it. I have been running like that for almost 6 months. The cords are the same on the end where you connect to ballast. I cut off 110v plug end, securely rewired a 240 plug end to it and like I said has been running that way for a bit longer than 6 months.

Reason I ask now is because I've noticed my ballast has been running hot. Might just buy the new cords anyways now hearing this.

The 110 wiring is SUBSTANTIALLY thinner than 220. It will run a lot hotter than 220 wiring. Just not a good idea. And fyi, it doesnt save you a penny. Utility companies charge by the kilowatt hour. A 1k ballast still draws 1k watts, be it 110 or 220v.

The reason to let a new nute mix rest for a few hours prior to a res change is to stabilize the PH. It will take a while for the ph to adjust and be stable. This is done without adding any ph up or down modifiers. Just the nutes. Yesterday when I mixed the nutrient, it went into roughly 6.5 ph (I didnt pre check yesterday but know where it usually sits) reverse osmosis water. Three hours later it was roughly 5.2 ph (I don't recall exactly). I ph adjusted, let it sit for another 90 mins and she was at 5.8. I then drained and replenished and ran the pump & chiller. Today it was still stable at 5.8

Thanks for the info guys! I'm gonna order the new cords today just to be safe. Nothing has happened yet but who knows for how long.

The wiring in 220 vs 110 is substantially different. 110 can not handle the current. Never alter electrical unless you know what you are doing. The last thing some one needs is to die in a fire when trying to save a few bucks for growing weed. Just my .02. :)

In what way? I think I have a strong understanding household electrical wiring. I installed 2 240V circuits and 3 120V circuits in my basement (in addition to wiring many large grow op). AFAIK, the only differences between them occur at the ends of the wire. The wire itself is the same. Obviously you need the right gauge for the amount of current you're using. Since the power consumption of the light does not change, switching from 120V to 240V will reduce the current ~50%. The advantage of using a 240V circuit is being able to draw more power (Watts) from the same amount of current (Amps) because of the higher potential (Voltage). Power = Voltage x Current. Double the voltage, and you half the current.

You're right that the connections made at both end differ significantly, but how is the wire different? At the breaker, the difference is the white wire is hot (in opposite phase from black). At the outlet, it's just a different type of outlet. So really the only difference is where you connect the white wire at the breaker.

That being said, I wholeheartedly agree with your warning about doing electrical without knowing what you're doing. If you have ANY doubts at all when doing electrical work, STOP! If you already started making changes, do not turn the breaker back on until someone who knows about electrical looks at it. Electrical is not difficult, but it can be extremely dangerous! If you burn your house down because you wired your grow room wrong, I'm pretty sure the insurance company is not going to cover any losses. ;)

Much respect TG. Not trying to argue, just want to understand where you're coming from with this. :Namaste:

Hiker did you see my question? You seem knowledgable on the subject would appreciate your info. Wondering if it is safe to have 110 ballast cord just with a 240 plug end wired correctly and tight. It's already been done and running smooth for around 6 months. Just hoping it remains safe.

In what way? I think I have a strong understanding household electrical wiring. I installed 2 240V circuits and 3 120V circuits in my basement (in addition to wiring many large grow op. AFAIK, the only differences between them occur at the ends of the wire. The wire itself is the same. Obviously you need the right gauge for the amount of current you're using. Since the power consumption of the light does not change, switching from 120V to 240V will reduce the current ~50%. The advantage of using a 240V circuit is being able to draw more power (Watts) from the same amount of current (Amps) because of the higher potential (Voltage). Power = Voltage x Current. Double the voltage, and you half the current.

You're right that the connections made at both end differ significantly, but how is the wire different? At the breaker, the difference is the white wire is hot (in opposite phase from black). At the outlet, it's just a different type of outlet. So really the only difference is where you connect the white wire at the breaker.

That being said, I wholeheartedly agree with your warning about doing electrical without knowing what you're doing. If you have ANY doubts at all when doing electrical work, STOP! If you already started making changes, do not turn the breaker back on until someone who knows about electrical looks at it. Electrical is not difficult, but it can be extremely dangerous! If you burn your house down because you wired your grow room wrong, I'm pretty sure the insurance company is not going to cover any losses. ;)

Much respect TG. Not trying to argue, just want to understand where you're coming from with this. :Namaste:

No offense taken. It is the wiring going from the plug to the ballast that I am pinpointing. It is usually braided copper or low gauge solid copper. Trying to run that much voltage through it can cause the issues. Cords for our ballast are not made from the same romex as household wiring and if it is designed to operate with 120 then you can bet your ass that the Chinese manufactures are going to go with the cheapest wiring possible to meet UL standards and ship it here. That is all. :)

Hiker did you see my question? You seem knowledgable on the subject would appreciate your info. Wondering if it is safe to have 110 ballast cord just with a 240 plug end wired correctly and tight. It's already been done and running smooth for around 6 months. Just hoping it remains safe.

Yes. I did see it, and responded in post #64.

If you're already running it that way, then you probably have it wired correctly. The only concern on my end is how good a connection you can make when you wire in a plug like that. I'm sure they all pass code and have their UL stamp, but I've bought some plug ends that I thought were total garbage. As long as it's a high quality plug, intended for the voltage and current you're using, and you have screwed the wire down well, you should be fine. Just keep in mind, you will never get as good a connection with an add-on plug end as the original factory made ends. Well unless you solder yours and then mold plastic around the connection too! ;)

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread Bassman. :Namaste:

I probably should just keep my mouth shut when electrical discussions come up. I'm NOT an electrician. My background is studying circuits as part of an EE degree, working in electronics manufacturing for several years, a hobbyist interest in building my own electronics (mostly audio related), and reading DIY home improvement books and websites when I had questions. I've done a LOT of electrical work on my own homes, including all the wiring for my new basement grow room. When I grew back in the 90's, out of necessity as a poor college student, I started teaching myself how to install home electrical. I read some DIY books (internet wasn't what it is now back then) and talked to the guys at the hardware store. Among my small circle of fellow growers, I became the go to guy for electrical. Eventually, an actual electrician came behind me and looked at my work (my 3rd install). He said it was safe. Since I was wiring up a grow room, passing a code inspection was not a concern. There were obviously code violations, but he said they were nothing that would cause us any problems. This was one of the ops where we had run a sub-panel off of the main panel, so my confidence was boosted a bit since this was a more complicated wiring job. Since that time, I've worked on the 'normal' wiring of the homes I own. It's always passed inspection fine.

That being said. I think you're probably fine DocDee, but if you're in doubt, get an electrician to look at it. Since it's just a cable, take it to someone if you're worried.

Ah didn't see that first post. Appreciate the intel. Not sure what to do now. Thank you so much though. Now back to growing lol.

Excellent - I've finally found one of your grows near the beginning, rather than right at the end where I normally catch them! Looking great so far mate and I'm looking forward to seeing this one all the way through

Nice job training your girls Bassman.

Update:

Day 4 in flower, day 10 in 12/12:

Got up at lights on and opened up the tent. Ph held at 5.8, nice.

They are all bushing up very nicely but the Martian Kush are just going nuts. Time for some super cropping. Bent 7 big branches on the largest Martian Kush in the back left, one on the right. They are still taller than the Master kush in front but not as much.

Raised the light up 7 clicks and moved it slightly forward as well to get a little more light to the Master Kush up front.

All the plants are getting nice and wide, but the girls in the back are really getting there. I still like the Master Kush in front left, structure the most. Four nice main branches, spread perfectly, and now just waiting on the middle to start moving upwards and mobile.

Full tent:
P1210003.JPG

Front left Master Kush:
P1210004.JPG

Front right Master Kush:
P1210005.JPG

Back left big girl Martian Kush:
P1210009.JPG
P12100061.JPG

Back right Martian Kush:
P12100071.JPG

Back-middle look at the wide coverage:
P1210008.JPG

Well, I wasnt able to pick up any of the electrical parts I needed yesterday. Just not enough time.

Here's some pics from today after doing all that super cropping. All the branches not only turned upwards 90 degrees, but notice the middle between the two plants in back. The width has filled in a ton in just 24 hours. Looks like much more super cropping will be needed on the Martian Kush.

Ph today was at 6.01 just a few hours after lights on.
TDS dropped about 40ppm or so. That's good, since they were hot yesterday.
RH was about 44% a few hours after lights on. Lots of transpiring going on.
Temp was 77 after 4 hrs of lights on. I like that!

P1220001.JPG
P1220002.JPG

Back
Top Bottom