Catman's Closet - Bag Seed - LED Grow — First Grow - 2014

yeah I had to learn all that also. its always better to learn than to keep making mistakes. I done about 3 grows before this one. and still have a lot to learn. plus im going to try to hydro soon.

but

If you have the time and energy don't chop yet. Continue to watch how it grows for a couple weeks. I would think you should see male clusters form rather than a single Calyx.

What is the plants age and current light cycle?

/Obi

Thank you for your "patience transplant" Obi. I shall follow your lead - and point well taken regarding clusters.

I am still at 18/6. I honestly gave up keeping track of age when Hazel went into Hospice as a sprout...But the date of my first Blog post here was 7/16/14 - a bit over 5 weeks ago. I have no memory how far this plant was in his life cycle then.

Time for 12/12 and copious displays of sex? :battingeyelashes:

5 weeks Cat. whats the cycle on it. should be around 8-10 weeks veg or is that auto seeds.
reason I ask should go more in 18/6 light few more weeks before going into flowering. least mine are long veg cycles.
I got out some auto seeds that grow fast. from seedlings to harvest is 8/10 weeks. but that's auto seeds. reg seed are like double that.
least from what I seen so far.

5 weeks Cat. whats the cycle on it. should be around 8-10 weeks veg or is that auto seeds.
reason I ask should go more in 18/6 light few more weeks before going into flowering. least mine are long veg cycles.
I got out some auto seeds that grow fast. from seedlings to harvest is 8/10 weeks. but that's auto seeds. reg seed are like double that.
least from what I seen so far.

I think since this plant is more indica looking than stavia it would be OK going this early. It's not optimal for sure. I'll bet he's probably at about 6 weeks, but I really don't know. I've read some say it's OK to go earlier on an indoor grow due to height reasons. They grow a lot more in flower.

One good point is that a 12/12 will force the sex to show and, if he turns out to be female I may get a decent bud or two(?) More than I had hoped for on this practice grow!

The Continuing Saga of Trying to Kill Hazel

I remember explaining to my son, who was quite small and in tears, "you have to let King Koopa kill you a few times so you can watch and learn how to defeat him" (Mario Bros)

So, I keep trying to kill Hazel (not on purpose) and so keep learning. I should be at Genius level about now. :rofl:

I had a great day yesterday on my trip to the Big City, where I learned right down the street from where I grew up was an Indoor Garden store. And a helpful guy who spent a lot of time with me. It was a good day and great to talk to someone in real life about my "first closet unknown seed from off of the shelf of my friends house grow."

I originally planned this trip to get good food for myself and to get some ONA for Hazels stench. But I had noticed something going wrong with this grow (again). I hadn't watered Hazel in OVER a week and the soil still felt damp. I know LEDs don't dry out the soil as quickly, but this was ridiculous. So I go back to the bag of Pro Mix and look it over very carefully and see the word GEL. Somehow my fantastic mind must have though buying a bag of soil with GEL in it was a great idea, or I didn't even notice the damn word when I bought it. I don't remember now.

1_1_16.JPG

So, I got the ONA that I originally went for -

1_5_8.JPG

It works pretty good for now, and picked up a bag of new/different soil. Happy Frog. It has Wonderful Things in it, this Happy Frog, but mainly it has NO GEL

1_2_18.JPG

This is where it kind-of turns bad for Hazel.

Hazel had spent his 24 hrs in the dark before his 12/12 flip. I figured I'd transplant him into this new soil and have my fingers crossed there was no root rot. I managed the huge pot of dirt weight-wise, but didn't do so well with balance. Yes, I dropped Hazel top end down in the bathtub. Without some of his roots that remained in a clump of dirt left behind. I did note that there was a very small root system. Looked under developed from pictures I've seen in similar plants. Not good at all.

Bent, but not broken, into a new pot filled up with Happy Frog and watered.

1_4_16.JPG

1_3_16.JPG

I think I've bought 4 different types of soil so far and he's had as many transplants :/

Waiting for this poor old thing to die has taken a while, I'll keep on the 12/12 as such time as he keels over or I have the need for 18/6 for new seeds. Thanks for reading along and for not laughing too hard!

:icon_roll

this is how we all learn my friend. I bet he will be fine and bounces back in no time. Ours is a very resilient plant.

I hear Fox Farm Happy Frog is good soil.

this is how we all learn my friend. I bet he will be fine and bounces back in no time. Ours is a very resilient plant.

I hear Fox Farm Happy Frog is good soil.

Thanks Seraphim - He's been one hell of a resilient plant up to this point!

At least you're still grinding and learning and for that, you will be rewarded in your future grows. :goodjob: I use Fox Farm soils and love them. No issues with seedlings and so far, no issues in my current grow.

Thanks BuckSwope - and thanks to both of you for the thumbs up on the soil. I had seen the name, but had no clue if the reputation matched the results. We'll see what happens next!

I also Use Fox Farms Products and have had no issues that some others have claimed to have, Like Nutrient burn and not good for seedlings. If anything I think FF is one of the better soils out there where you don't need to add anything to it for the first month. But all strains like to "Eat" Differently.

As far as the gel soil I don't think it did a lot of harm to your plant just may have stunted or slowed its growth. Marijuana, when planted in soil, doesn't care for "wet" feet so to speak.

And as far as the damage they can sustain...They can handle A LOT! Short from being snapped in half. Which a storm recently did to one of my 9' tall beauties outdoors. But not all was lost as she healed herself at the break and killed off the remaining section...she went from being 9' to under 3'....Crazy considering it was my smallest plant that was affected...you'd think high damaging winds would have affected the tallest ones surrounding her....But anyways...instead of growing tall she is now branching out like a spiders legs. Catman12, I think Hazel will survive. She may be slow to recover but she will live. Good luck with the rest of your grow!

I use Fox farm and a lot people I know does also. we never had issues with it. if you mix ocean forest and light warrior or happy frog with it. some say just ocean forest alone its kinda hard on the plants but I don't mix mine and I never had problems.

I also Use Fox Farms Products and have had no issues that some others have claimed to have, Like Nutrient burn and not good for seedlings. If anything I think FF is one of the better soils out there where you don't need to add anything to it for the first month. But all strains like to "Eat" Differently.

As far as the gel soil I don't think it did a lot of harm to your plant just may have stunted or slowed its growth. Marijuana, when planted in soil, doesn't care for "wet" feet so to speak.

And as far as the damage they can sustain...They can handle A LOT! Short from being snapped in half. Which a storm recently did to one of my 9' tall beauties outdoors. But not all was lost as she healed herself at the break and killed off the remaining section...she went from being 9' to under 3'....Crazy considering it was my smallest plant that was affected...you'd think high damaging winds would have affected the tallest ones surrounding her....But anyways...instead of growing tall she is now branching out like a spiders legs. Catman12, I think Hazel will survive. She may be slow to recover but she will live. Good luck with the rest of your grow!

Nine Feet! I would so love to see that. I had hoped to move to where I could try an outdoor grow. But then I would be nuts about my plant getting snapped in a storm or eaten by a deer. Deer seem to love plants around here from what I hear. Thanks for the good luck devilish I surely do need it :cheesygrinsmiley:

I use Fox farm and a lot people I know does also. we never had issues with it. if you mix ocean forest and light warrior or happy frog with it. some say just ocean forest alone its kinda hard on the plants but I don't mix mine and I never had problems.

Hey Greyhawk - thanks for the input on FF soil - you too devilish. It helps to get feedback. They had other soil there but I only recognized this Happy Frog from reading on these forums.

I inspected Hazel closely after work today and saw there is indeed a laceration on one of the main stems towards the bottom. Not too big really. The canopy looks just fine...More waiting.

I started this unknown-free-seed grow to practice growing on purpose before I purchased any quality seeds. This Hazel plant has withstood all of my idiocracy with grace to this point. I don't mind diving in and making mistakes, that's what he's for.

But I like this plant now and just wish I could keep the grow going through a female flowering to the end. First pay this Friday. Browsing the seed banks. Hoping he survives long enough to show sex...

Your plant will survive the fall. I think it was Radogast who earlier this year broke a plant and stapled it back together with good results. Woot!

/Obi Wan Cannabinoid
:peace:

Hey Catman! Saw you over on Sweeleef's journal and thought I would check out your grow! I'm late but I will catch up! :high-five::blunt:

All caught up, and I loved the 'comedy of errors'! What a great read!! When Sweetleef started he was always knocking plants over, snapping branches. ( Sorry Sweetleef ) I think Hazel will be just fine. +reps, Catman. You're doing a good job!

Back
Top Bottom