Critical Jack & Dark Devil Auto Cross

Say Triplebeam I see you have your RH @ 55. I was under the impression the last few weeks before harvest the RH needed to be around 45 % to keep from getting Bud Rot. Just my 2 cents.........:peace:

Mornin Rooster.....nope....as long as the rh stays below 70 and you have enough ventilation everything is good!
Rh...generally should be between 45 and 65...all the time....ok!

Say Triplebeam I see you have your RH @ 55. I was under the impression the last few weeks before harvest the RH needed to be around 45 % to keep from getting Bud Rot. Just my 2 cents.........:peace:
Thank you for the comment.
Mornin Rooster.....nope....as long as the rh stays below 70 and you have enough ventilation everything is good!
Rh...generally should be between 45 and 65...all the time....ok!
What he said.

BRIX Night:
I sprayed them right at lights on. Tomorrow will be a plain watering with Tea unless you guys think i should do something different. Last watering 4 days ago was the second Cat. I also cut off a bunch of sucker flowers while i was at it. Did some rearranging and added supports to another plant. Hands and fingers are all sticky now. I really wish i had a nose for terpenes. I just can't place the scents.Temps at lights on is a bit higher then i described yesterday but night temps are going to be dropping into the 30s and 40s this week so i am going to leave the setup the way it is. My lights come on at night and are off during the day. I would rather have temps on the high side then on the low side. Temps on the floor are in the mid 70s. Should keep the roots happy. I will say putting in the big fan solved my soft stem issue. It dried the outside of the stems making them stiffer.
First three pics are some group shots from different angles.

I have been noticing the different pheno types between the the Critical Dark Devils. First two are Batch 1 buds. More leaves and shaped differently.

These are buds from Batch 2. Less leaves and more conical. Getting some leaf ridges turning up. Might be temperature related.

This is the Jackie White/Purple Mayhem cross, I really like this plant. Very strong plant and packing on the frost. Bud in focus and the out of focus one behind it. Though it seems to be a bit behind the CDDs in the bud development department.
Enjoy and please let me know what i should do with the next watering.

Damned good question, and one I should face myself someday soon. I jus' let 'em drop. :)

I suspect it's a combination of soil activity and light intensity. I've grown out several small plants in 3 gallon pots, and they don't have that issue. They're also much smaller and they're not close to the light. If I mess up with the 6 gallon pots and let one of them slump, I pay for it immediately in lost fans.

So my operating theory is that it's a transpiration issue and a soil moisture issue. Heavy Transplant drenches and more careful watering should tend to the herd, and we may be stuck with the lighting. Higher RH and CO2 would help with that, but if we want enough light to grow a deep canopy, we have to put up with stress at the top.

... I think ... dunno fer shure. :hmmmm:

[Edit] I remember doing some research on nutrient migration in the plant, and learned that old fans are primarily sugar producers. They're out of the hormone loop, for the most part, so they don't grow, and don't produce hormones that prevent other tissue to grow. Many people say that the plant consumes its fans for energy but I never bought that. It may shed them as net losses perhaps. Maybe they just lose their own connection to what's going on in the plant, being off to the side like that. So it would be our responsibility to keep them engaged somehow, the question being how did we let them drift away.

Ima go ask CareStaker - I bet he knows. He's one of the best freelancers on the forum. :)

Good morning Beamer Gray and friends. My take ...or 2 cents on the yellowing/loss of lower fans early.
As Gray said it is all about two factors ...light available at those lower levels ...and soil health /activity.
Light affects these leaves if not enough is seen down low ..but the biggest factor ...by a fairly big margin is 'soil health/activity'. I have grown many , many grows over the yrs. with often times not near enough light reaching the lower levels and still , those lower fans seem to be totally unaffected by low light levels...but...but whenever the soil , is just a wee bit 'off' those same leaves start to fade rapidly. This has been consistent over the years. So in conclusion , if your limiting factors are met ie...light, soil , temps , RH etc....those lower leaves will NOT fade...if they do , look to soil issues ...NOT lack of light. Those lower fans do not need much light to stay healthy and green,...but, if the light levels are low like that , and your soil starts to lose its energy, those same leaves WILL fade ...no doubt about it.
Hope this helps Beamer. Cheers, and have a great day Beamer, Gray and friends.

But I wonder if the contrast in intensity between the top and bottom of the canopy might be a factor. :hmmmm: It might make the lower fans easier to drop.

Yeah, back to the cage-rattling thing. You startle them and they drop their fans. Kinda like those sheep, is it? The ones that pass out and fall over when you startle them? :rofl:

Well, I'm getting several new effects from these Samsung panels. I have a feeling that one of them is a tendency to leave the old fans behind, because there's so much more light available to the upper canopy, like more of the energy is focused upward. In natural sunlight, the top and bottom intensity is no different. Indoors, I can mimic the sun at the top of the canopy, but the bottom is only getting 30%. Lots of transpiration at the top - much less at the bottom.

But as you say, it still only happens when there's a hiccup. So back to that - we can avoid hiccups if we try harder. If the soil is active and healthy, the plant will make good decisions. If we screw anything up, it has to adapt and re-prioritize.

Yup...totally Gray! Wat can we do though eh..we ain't got no sunshine indoors so...like u say if we keep our soil active and balanced thru at least 3 runs , without too much messin around , all's fantastic. What i'm finding out these past several grows is that, cutting second run soil (hell, i've even cut first run) with fresh PM , while subtracting some EWC's., it re, balances things somewhat. I am explaining this right? Instead of adding 20 -40 pounds of EWC's back into 2nd run soil,...along with re amending, and then cooking,...i feel that putting a ,much smaller amount of EWC's. back in, docs gear , and fresh PM (10-15 gals. worth) is better. I'm getting very few , or no burnt tips and the fans are hangin in a helleva lot longer,...some right to the end. Last night i pruned off quite a few very large ..shade leaves that were 100% healthy. I'm lovin how these grows have so much good soil ..and so much light ....show's off Doc's gear.....:surf:
The thing with our system....there are sooo many variables with all of our grows , that a 'blanket' set of directions is simply a very general guideline. Not the same for every grow. So many factors are at play...wat #run soil....what lights...how much soil....how much light....know wat i mean Gray.. For me , this has allowed me the time to learn and figure all this out. Anyhow , great chattin my friend.
Please say hello to M for me...Cheers....:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom