First Grow: White Widow Autoflower

Costanza

started my first grow at the end of February. I went with crop king seeds since I had no idea what companies were good and a friend recommended them. had some germ issues but did manage to get at least 80% germ rate. First one popped soil on Feb 28th and was grown in FF ocean forest. I took some bad advice from a friend and packed the soil tightly and I think this really screwed me from the start. The plant didn't grow fast in veg. I'm using the Foxfarm trio of Grow Big, Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom and I wasn't sure when to start feeding since the ocean forest is pretty hot and many people told me not to start it in that medium, and of course I didn't listen. The leaves looked droopy and started to claw even though I didn't feed it anything and I concluded that this was from bad watering and the pot wasn't saturated evenly. At week 3 I started watering to runoff and started using recharge. I also had an issue with brown spots on my leaves and believe this is due to the lack of calcium in water from the local nearby spring so I started filling bottles of tap water and leaving then opened for 48 hours to evaporate chlorine and this fixed the issue quickly. I also started adding about 2 tbsp of epsom salt per gallon on my plain water days and this seemed to really help bring it back to life. As of now I have this one that popped on Feb 28th and I planted 2 more 16 days ago and 10 days ago and all 3 are in a 2x2x5 tent with a spiderfarmer sf1000 led. Planning on upgrading tent and light by the middle of summer so I know the tent and light are not quite up to par and will be upgrading soon. will post some pics on progress and hopefully someone can tell me what I did wrong on widow #1 and why she is so stunted. I'm thinking it was the packed soil and the poor watering but like I said its my first grow and I just wanted to see what I could do and try and learn the most off of the first one so I don't repeat the same mistakes.

Here are a few pics from widow 1.

20210307_071705.jpg

20210311_224820.jpg

Screenshot_20210318-130555_360 Camera.jpg

20210322_185322.jpg

20210328_193012.jpg

20210407_212346.jpg

20210409_091653.jpg

20210410_191736.jpg

20210425_194234.jpg

I decided to start seed 2 and 3 in different mediums. 2 is in fox farms coco loco with some added perlite, and 3 is a mixture of coco loco, ocean forest, and added perlite. The 3rd seedling looks like its going to be the best one its already taller than seed 2 and has 2 less nodes and is 5 days younger.

started my first grow at the end of February. I went with crop king seeds since I had no idea what companies were good and a friend recommended them. had some germ issues but did manage to get at least 80% germ rate. First one popped soil on Feb 28th and was grown in FF ocean forest. I took some bad advice from a friend and packed the soil tightly and I think this really screwed me from the start. The plant didn't grow fast in veg. I'm using the Foxfarm trio of Grow Big, Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom and I wasn't sure when to start feeding since the ocean forest is pretty hot and many people told me not to start it in that medium, and of course I didn't listen. The leaves looked droopy and started to claw even though I didn't feed it anything and I concluded that this was from bad watering and the pot wasn't saturated evenly. At week 3 I started watering to runoff and started using recharge. I also had an issue with brown spots on my leaves and believe this is due to the lack of calcium in water from the local nearby spring so I started filling bottles of tap water and leaving then opened for 48 hours to evaporate chlorine and this fixed the issue quickly. I also started adding about 2 tbsp of epsom salt per gallon on my plain water days and this seemed to really help bring it back to life. As of now I have this one that popped on Feb 28th and I planted 2 more 16 days ago and 10 days ago and all 3 are in a 2x2x5 tent with a spiderfarmer sf1000 led. Planning on upgrading tent and light by the middle of summer so I know the tent and light are not quite up to par and will be upgrading soon. will post some pics on progress and hopefully someone can tell me what I did wrong on widow #1 and why she is so stunted. I'm thinking it was the packed soil and the poor watering but like I said its my first grow and I just wanted to see what I could do and try and learn the most off of the first one so I don't repeat the same mistakes.
The drooping is normal if it happens during lights out and they perk up after the lights come on

Welcome @Costanza

Your ladies look pretty good, just a little hungry.

Be careful about using multiple mediums while you are learning, only because they all have different requirements.

:goodluck: with your grow.

Tok..
yeah that's one of the things I didn't really think out too well when starting the 2nd and 3rd. The coco loco is always a day or 2 behind the mix with the ocean forest and coco loco and it took a good couple hours of reading up on this stuff before I realized its more like a soil than regular coco and should be watered at 6.5 and not 5.8 like regular coco. I gave a 1/4 dose of grow big and big bloom to both 2nd and 3rd after they got a couple sets of leaves and so far they seem to like it, I'm just a little cautious right now because the 1st one showed some signs of nute burn and I think its because I was using foxfarm bushdoctor cal mag and it has nitrogen in it.

The drooping is normal if it happens during lights out and they perk up after the lights come on
yeah it wasn't perking up when the lights came back on. I think it was due to being a rookie and not knowing how to properly water the plant. I was watering too little and not soaking the entire container and I started to notice that the bottom center of the fabric pot was hard and dry so I started watering to run off and they perked up.

#1 is at the end of week 9, # 2 is at the end of week 3 and #3 is at the end of week 2. Started a little lst on the short bushy #2 and # 3 is growing taller than 1 and 2 with more space between nodes.

20210430_103506.jpg

Just a quick update. Upgraded to a 4x4 tent. Waiting forever for my light to arrive. I learned a valuable lesson to never order any equipment from growbuds.com because they do not keep any stock they order everything and it takes weeks. Anyway I'm patiently waiting for my new light and have my little 100 watt light in the tent atm. Accident snapped stem on widow #2 and had to top her but she bounced back nicely. #3 still looks like the star of the show and I have high expectations for her

16207400980493251449164447598655.jpg

16207401199726684914691918198860.jpg

Currently a little stressed since I ordered a bigger light 12 days ago and it still hasn't shipped. Both widow 2 and 3 started showing some small hairs last night so this light needs to get here very soon. I tried to keep the plants in a 2x2 area under the light but this light only covers 2x2 for flowering and in the next week or so I'm gonna need the extra light. Here are a few pics from last night.

20210511_185605.jpg

20210511_184922.jpg

Do you think I will be ok with this 100 watt light for a week possibly 2? I'm freaking out a little bit I dont wanna ruin my progress.

Do you think I will be ok with this 100 watt light for a week possibly 2? I'm freaking out a little bit I dont wanna ruin my progress.
You've got an SF1000 yeah? Unless you're really pushing them they should be fine until your new light arrives. Don't focus on that 100w too much, either. LEDs produce light far more efficiently than old HPS and T5s. The 1000w/2000w/4000w tags are more of a loose comparison of output between LEDs and the old hot lights. If you're super worried, look at the 4/6-pack LED shop light strip things on amazon. They're cheap both in price and construction, but light and easy to slide in to help plants along. If a light dies you're out like $7.

You've got an SF1000 yeah? Unless you're really pushing them they should be fine until your new light arrives. Don't focus on that 100w too much, either. LEDs produce light far more efficiently than old HPS and T5s. The 1000w/2000w/4000w tags are more of a loose comparison of output between LEDs and the old hot lights. If you're super worried, look at the 4/6-pack LED shop light strip things on amazon. They're cheap both in price and construction, but light and easy to slide in to help plants along. If a light dies you're out like $7.
Ok thanks for the reply. It's my first time growing so I'm overthinking a lot right now. I'm still learning a lot especially light coverage

Hey Costanza, I’ve finally navigated my way thru the site and found myself here finally lol but anyways it’s pretty crazy how just about identical out first grow is equipment wise that’s is....

#1 is at the end of week 9, # 2 is at the end of week 3 and #3 is at the end of week 2. Started a little lst on the short bushy #2 and # 3 is growing taller than 1 and 2 with more space between nodes.

20210430_103506.jpg
Are they autos, I’m sure you mentioned it guess I missed it

:green_heart: Overthinking is the #2 cause of plant death

#1 is not thinking :ganjamon:

You're doing fine. Enjoy the process as much as you can.
Thanks I'm trying. Is it odd that I sit in the plant room for
I see they are autos lol is my newbie showing omg
Yeah I went with autos the first run so I didnt have to worry about changing light cycle, I figured one less thing to worry about would be a good thing. I have 10 zkittlez autos, but I think I'm gonna go with a photo run of sour d on my next grow, I wanna see some tall sativas

Hahahaha! I just noticed your user photo! Bravo
Hi cooperrein, are you in New Mexico, just wondering bc I saw the NM Hatch sticker on your grow tent and thought to myself maybe she lives in Hatch or in NM somewhere. I’m in Albuquerque myself :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom