First Timer Getting Started

I'm not sure that would help to much but I'd like to hear why you think that.

After work today I noticed more yellowing. I've been watering every 2 days but I might have to step it up to every day. The soil is completely dry and brittle after 2 days. As soon as my HTG order comes in I'll be transplanting them into 2 gal bags..

My wife has several horses, along with quite the pile of horse shit. I plan on mixing the organic soil with the horse shit compost pile when I transplant. Does anyone think a 50/50 mix would be too much?

:peace:

It really looks like overwatering to me, and Perlite helps the roots get oxygen. Check out the link in my signature for pictures of symptoms. Sorry I can't answer your horse manure question..just never used it.

It really looks like overwatering to me, and Perlite helps the roots get oxygen. Check out the link in my signature for pictures of symptoms. Sorry I can't answer your horse manure question..just never used it.

I really doubt I'm overwatering. I've read a lot of people do that so I've been really hesitant. I either think my water here is shit or the nutes aren't there. Ph tester is in the mail along with superthrive. Hopefully I can bring them back around.

After 24 hours my soil is completely dry! I gave another good watering today but it does appear that I need to water everyday or at least more then I am... I feel if I make it "airier"? by adding perlite it will dry out even faster? I'm gonna transplant this weekend so I can grab a few things from the store first.

Since my ventalation is still lacking, today I decided to try out one of these homemade Co2 generators. Mixed 3/4 a cup of sugar, one packet of yeast 1/2 a bottle full of luke warm water.

I had to use some odd size bottles because a 2L wouldn't fit above my seedling box. Used a couple pieces of scrap hose laying around. Here is my dual chamber Co2 generator. Prob won't do much but I doubt it will hurt anything. we'll see :)
SAM_03781.JPG

I may get a little fancier next time around because I glued the lids on to prevent leaking.

You can see the hose coming down from the top laying across the CFL's. There are several holes drilled though the last 12" of hose.
SAM_03793.JPG

And one of the babies that that I've put through hell has some nice new green growth.
SAM_03802.JPG

awesome, putting in new equipment always makes me feel better. Things are looking good i hope they stay that way!

Me too! I was very happy to see the package arrive. Today is another good day. The leaves are looking more natural with less twist/curl to them.

I'm slightly unsure of how to go about fertalizing. I have a bottle with a couple drops of superthrive and micro in. I plan to go back to watering every 3-4 days now and just spray them with the solution daily. Since I've added the horse shit, I'm thinking I should wait a while for any other nutes.

Thanks for all the comments! :thumb:

Hey ShadowGrow. Nice journal so far man, looks like your first grow is coming along!:goodjob: I'm also faced with confined space to grow in, and I'm curious what you're going to do with space you do have. I like the seedling box (is that it at the very bottom of the stairs?), probably going to build one myself. What about the larger area in your stair-box, are you going to veg and flower there? Try to create separate compartments?

Me too! I was very happy to see the package arrive. Today is another good day. The leaves are looking more natural with less twist/curl to them.

I'm slightly unsure of how to go about fertalizing. I have a bottle with a couple drops of superthrive and micro in. I plan to go back to watering every 3-4 days now and just spray them with the solution daily. Since I've added the horse shit, I'm thinking I should wait a while for any other nutes.

Thanks for all the comments! :thumb:

that soud good, but if its in a spray bottle i would just spray it at the base of the stem like twords the soil so the roots can absorb it.

Hey ShadowGrow. Nice journal so far man, looks like your first grow is coming along!:goodjob: I'm also faced with confined space to grow in, and I'm curious what you're going to do with space you do have. I like the seedling box (is that it at the very bottom of the stairs?), probably going to build one myself. What about the larger area in your stair-box, are you going to veg and flower there? Try to create separate compartments?

The seedling box is at the very bottom of the stairs. If I was a better carpenter or had more $ I would have done it similar but put a door on the side of the steps for better access. I used a old cabnet that was left here when we moved in, it fit back in there perfectly. It actually created a nice shelf for me to stack my Co2 generators on. Now when I decide to flower my plants, in the larger area, I'll need to move the plants to access the seedling box. That is why I built the cart. If I had a door on the side I wouldn't have to move anything really.

Thanks for joining me, send me a link to your journal if you decide to do anything and take lots of pitures!

Thanks again to everyone else who is here too! I really appreciate all your input!

Looks like great leaf structure! How tall are they now? It looks like you have much denser foliage than I did when I started my two plants, I'm thinking it's cause you topped them...? Just started reading about topping/fim'ing, I think I'm going to try it when I start the next round of plants. Definitely sticking around to see how your grow goes :cheer: Also, got my journal in my sig now :thumb:

Looks like great leaf structure! How tall are they now? It looks like you have much denser foliage than I did when I started my two plants, I'm thinking it's cause you topped them...? Just started reading about topping/fim'ing, I think I'm going to try it when I start the next round of plants. Definitely sticking around to see how your grow goes :cheer: Also, got my journal in my sig now :thumb:

Thanks, I'm glad they are starting to grow again! I think the leaf nodes are going to stay really tight together. They are about 3" tall. It could be the strain.

Next time I start seedlings I'll prob wait till the 3rd or 4th set of leaves to top them. Basically it's supposed to increase the under growth. I do believe it has somewhat, but since there was very little or no undergrowth it was kinda pointless. At first I thought the plant would split but thats not the case. I'll continue to tie them down and perhaps top them again later.

Today I snagged a 175w MH light fixture w/balast @ work. I'm not really sure if I'll even use it but I might. 175w bulb can put off 12-15,000 lumens. My 6 CFL's are doing nearly that without the need to vent them. I may give it to a friend to use, or build another box... ;)

I also got a cheap, 2 prong, ph/moisture/light tester for $5. It seems to work fairly well in soil. Moisture is holding better in these larger bags. Ph is coming it at 6.5 in the soil. and the light is reading 700-1000 through out the whole box.

Can I dip the prongs in water and get a accurate reading of ph?

cool setup I like the plant structure in the 2nd photo down the best even above the all green one. I'm also a fan of the CFLs because they don't need to be vented not that I would use a higher quality bulb yet it's still my first try. my CFLs go 24/7 and I can still grab them no problem

Back
Top Bottom