Fluxing 4 x Night Queen - 2 Indoors/2 Outdoors For Comparison - Spring/Summer 2015

Re: Fluxing 4 x Night Queen - 2 Indoors/2 Outdoors For Comparison - Spring/Summer 201

Yep I did and did reply lol as you updated :) you had my idea in One lol :)

Yeah missed that one when the page turned over :cheesygrinsmiley:.

I think it's a great idea. The roots get more room to play and we get to better understand when watering is needed through the tube. Another benefit would be a better edge with which to anchor rods for training. Would you really need the fabric pot if it's sides were touching the edges of the bucket? It would be better to save the soil mixing with the perlite I suppose :cheesygrinsmiley:

Shall I give it a go? All I would need to work out is the level of perlite and a mark for the tube where water can be max & min.

Re: Fluxing 4 x Night Queen - 2 Indoors/2 Outdoors For Comparison - Spring/Summer 201

I don't have any experience with wicking systems so finding the right level of water would take me some time.

Would I be right in assuming that if the perlite was say only 50% submerged in water that the wicking effect would be enough to take the water to the surface of the plant even if the roots were still only short?

Another thought would be an air stone under the perlite pumping oxygen through the system would work too.

Well my idea would be a bigger bucket so you have some area around the sides of the cloth pot. So you can do big soak feeds and then drain off any excess using a bottom drain tap. Then the swick just lets your roots extend for better airation. The level on the outside will let you guage levels for normal smaller feeds. You get awesome water uptake roots with swicking. Its just I want the ability to flood my medium on acxasion as well :)
The levels are quite easy with the swick method. Just fill leaving a couple of inches of a gap and your good. :) I just want the benefits of a cloth pot in a bucket, as when I ran my Oxy pot system I noticed roots coming out all over and that can only aid in oxygen uptake by the roots :)

Ok my friend, here we go

I made these up from scratch for my first DWC grow

20150720_115912.jpg
20150720_115938.jpg

I covered the outlet pipe with fleece to prevent perlite getting into the tube

20150720_120048.jpg

I have only 12 litre and 30 litre fabric pots and the 30 litres are too big. A size between these 2 would work although this one fits okay.

20150720_120247.jpg
20150720_120733.jpg

I put 5 inches of perlite.

20150720_120926.jpg
20150720_121116.jpg

If I place 3 inches of water into one of my other buckets then pour it into this one, I can then mark the side tube with a maximum mark.

How does that seem LA?

Happy days my friend and bravo, you don't hang around one bit lol, awesomeness in pics. As said the only thing I'd do is use a barrier to keep perlite sunk for big total floods once in a while. Although after a couple weeks of swick the root system will actually hold the perlite in place me thinks!
The one thing you will notice, is because of the slight shadowing between the pots you should get nice white root ends come shooting out all over the place :)

I thought about the barrier but it would need to be something quite rigid or the perlite would just rise and push the barrier aside. I don't have a tap on neither.

Would occasional flooding be necessary if the wicking is keeping the soil moist? I use organic soil so there would be no need to flush but I understand if nutes were being used then flushing occasionally is good.

I must admit I do like to keep the soil moist to prevent dry spots from developing. When I was using the buckets in DWC, I had an airstone on the bottom and the air pipe ran down the water observation tube. I could run an airstone with this setup and keep all that water nicely aerated. The plant would love that.

Sod it, I'm going to stick a plant in there and run it with an airstone and see how it performs.

I got 3 inches of water in then marked the side.

20150720_160416.jpg

I put the perlite back in then topped up the water to the 3 inch mark. Then placed the fabric pot on top. There is an air-stone under the perlite too.

The finished article.

20150720_161253.jpg

The bottom of the pot is quite dry so hopefully the wicking will start and get the pot wet. I will check in a few hours to see how the process is getting on.

Nice work medfarmer ur plants are very sexy ladies. Top job keep it up;)

Back
Top Bottom