From Seed to Smoke - RQS Critical & OG Kush - LED - DWC Scrog

Hey Greenthumb J,

Thanks for your input regarding LED vs HPS. This is obviously an ongoing debate and a topic of contention between manufacturers claims and growers experiences. Just quick so Stealths blog isnt interrupted. My HPS run efficiently if you take yields into consideration. From the 6000watts (100square feet of canopy), yields range from 8 to 12+ labels. Most commonly between 9 and 10 labels. Its a profitable business. Im trying to reduce my footprint on the planet, not increase my yield. HPS is a technology of the past. LED may be the future. Id like to experiment and see whether or not some of these claims and case studies (average to good yields using LED technology) are realistic. I have been looking into the KIND LED K5 XL1000 as a substitute. If I have misunderstood the technology or energy usage of LEDs I would love to be further informed.

Thanks for conversing

If you are considering purchasing new equipment LED light panel technology has finally arrived that multiple LED light manufacturers are now making LED light panels with light spectrum that can grow cannabis very well. The superior quality of the buds produced under full spectrum LED light are more aromatic, flavorful and potent then the same genetics grown under High Pressure Sodium lights.

I invite you to look at the products carried by the 420 Magazine sponsors

Sponsors : 420 MAGAZINE ®

Greenthumb, mrrobert - all great input I will definitely keep in mind. Green - I do love an experiment, should I undertake one I will begin a blog post to keep those interested up to date. There is definitely a reason HPS has the monopoly in growing inside, results speak for themselves. Another technology you all might be interested in is the double ended reflectors. In cycling through old gear I invested in 3 of these babies. There is a noticeable difference in brightness, penetration, coverage and yield. I think the high frequency ballasts required to run these are more efficient as well and have multiple wattage settings (since 1000watts isn't always necessary). They also seem to give off less heat and can be vented, depending on the make/model etc. Stealth and Green its interesting you mention such an experiment, as I am currently in the perfect position (cycling through old gear) to run an HPS alongside an 1000watt LED or, over a 4 x 8 area, run a HPS in the center with lower wattage LED panels on either side.

Thanks again stealth and apologies for invading. I look forward to watching your grows

If you are interested in High Intensity Discharge lighting here is a chart with the efficiency ratings of High Intensity Discharge Digital ballasts

1000w_Ballast_Test_Info.jpg

Here are 1000 watt High Pressure Sodium light bulb tests

1000w_HID_Bulb_Test.jpg

Alright, the long and short of is this....
@cookieMonstr---I've never grown with anything other than LED, so I'm not the best person for advise. Although since your running a 6000Watt room I don't think your a newb either CookieMonstr. The reason I chose LED lights over HPS was mainly due to space, and climate control conditions. I can say with some confidence that HPS produces larger cola's and bigger yields, but LED seems to produce more trichomes, and the buds also seem more dense in my opinion. The White Widow I grew out a few harvests back were like little rocks, the buds were so dense & it was great smoke. All the medicine/good stuff is in the gladular heads in the trichomes of the plant. The whole reason to grow is for the trichomes so If a specific light is going to maximize trichome production then that's what I want. ;)
Just day dreaming here but.....If I had the available space, and money, I would probably try a combination of both light types in a 8x8 or 10x10 tent like mrrobert has or maybe a full room like you have Cookie. I would stagger the lights, 1 HPS and 1 LED panel, 2nd HPS, then 2nd LED. I'm sure the plants would get the benefits of both worlds. Size and bulk from the HPS, and the trichome production and density from the LED spectrum. What's not to love about that? Would make a great experiment.
Food for thought.;)
Cheers.

Well said and good explanation.

Cheeba Charlie's lungs of steel!

lol not sure that mystery strain is ever gonna finish - looks like she has 6 months left still hahahah hahaha hahaha

Nice looking right cab - sexy for 23 days of flower :)

Looks like you have a 100% sativa. But when you said it smells peppery, i instantly thought Haze. And some pure Haze's can have a flowering time of up to 24 weeks!!! but most of them are ridiculously long!

Which kind of makes sense as you are seeing no frost yet, and the bud development just seems to be starting.

I think its safe to say that closet will be in use for at least another month.. But GreenThumb is going to bet on closer to 2 more months before that plant is ready to harvest.

what a crazy strain lol

Yes, it definitely smells peppery. I was thinking its gonna be a while yet before she's ready. I went for a quick checkup tonight and had a close look at the Sativa. She's starting to get frost on the caliyx's, but like I said in the update, there are no orange hairs at all yet. The buds do seem to be filling in though. We'll see how it all turns out cause I'm in it for the long haul, she's for sure the biggest plant I've grown in the closet. I went to the website of the place I got the seeds from to try and find a possible match but not sure, so many options it might be. I hate not knowing.;)

can't wait to see that bush on the next post. love your set up stealth. Also, I voted for you in the last polls. that purple plant looked viciously delicious!!!

Thanks ClanCannabis. I'm kinda excited to see how the Sativa finishes in the end, but she's taking forever.....;) Cheers man

:high-five:

no fat bong rip :( lol - threw me off lol - Looking great brotha! another week and that sativa still doesn't even look close lol..... crazyness

the right cabinet is really coming along and looks fantastic!! kudos stealth!! your set up is looking sooo dialed in :)

no fat bong rip :( lol - threw me off lol - Looking great brotha! another week and that sativa still doesn't even look close lol..... crazyness

the right cabinet is really coming along and looks fantastic!! kudos stealth!! your set up is looking sooo dialed in :)

Thanks MrRobert.
No fat rip this week, been sick with the flu and wouldn't want to cough up a lung on camera. ;)
The Sativa is a beast--still kinda stretching out its branches in the extra space since I harvested the Chunk and Bubblelicious almost 3 weeks ago. Did a little more research to try and find what strain it is but no luck. Others have advised, and I agree, Its probably a 20 week Sativa, so likely another 2 months before harvest if it is. Was talking about chopping it in about 3 weeks but decided I'm gonna let it finish properly. The smoke might be amazing if I can just wait it out.:nomo:
Sorry I haven't been around your journal lately. Its the craziest time of the year at work, and working overtime almost everyday& been sick on top of it. I drop into your journal soon. When you gonna do another video update. ;)

Cheers man and Merry Christmas :xmas:

Don't know what strain it is either, but I wish I had a cut. I would be surprised if that tree doesn't blow out the walls of that cabinet when she finishes. Is it really going to be 20 weeks? I thought 11 weeks would be a headache, but 20? She better give you at least 2 pounds for your efforts, and hopefully it is top notch smoke.

This is a very busy time of year for most of us, so I doubt there will be any worries for slacking on journals.

Don't know what strain it is either, but I wish I had a cut. I would be surprised if that tree doesn't blow out the walls of that cabinet when she finishes. Is it really going to be 20 weeks? I thought 11 weeks would be a headache, but 20? She better give you at least 2 pounds for your efforts, and hopefully it is top notch smoke.

This is a very busy time of year for most of us, so I doubt there will be any worries for slacking on journals.

Nice update Stealth. I can't believe that's been flowering for over 12 weeks. It looks like it has another month minimum before it finishes. It sucks you have to pull it early but I get it. Them healthy clones are ready to go :)

Edit: Missed your update that your gonna let it ride. Nice man. I'm "All In" :laughtwo:

Thanks for stopping in to check out the update guys. ;)
I had a couple of clones of the Sativa but they didn't survive the transplant into the solo cups. I don't think I would grow out the strain again even if I did, it just takes so long to finish.
Hoping the wait is worth the smoke, cheers guys, ;)

Love the video update Stealth. I don't know how you do it man! Anytime I medicate before I record an update I find myself saying 'uhh' endlessly:laughtwo: I might have to start start doing a rip at the end of my videos!

What strain is that 'spindly' looking girl you go there. Sorry if you mentioned it before. It reminds me a lot of the bud production of my Royal Medic. I had a theory that unstable strains tend to produce inconsistent bud formations, who knows!

Oh and thanks for subscribing to my channel. I have done the same to yours as well ;)

Love the video update Stealth. I don't know how you do it man! Anytime I medicate before I record an update I find myself saying 'uhh' endlessly:laughtwo: I might have to start start doing a rip at the end of my videos!

What strain is that 'spindly' looking girl you go there. Sorry if you mentioned it before. It reminds me a lot of the bud production of my Royal Medic. I had a theory that unstable strains tend to produce inconsistent bud formations, who knows!

Oh and thanks for subscribing to my channel. I have done the same to yours as well ;)

Hi AG, glad to see ya buddy, its been a while.
The Big plant is a Mystery Sativa that I got in a freebie Sativa/Indica mix pack from my first seed purchase. I have no idea what strain it is unfortunately. Its been flowering 12 weeks already and probably needs to go another 7-8 weeks. The bud structure is different from any other plant I've ever grown. Its got a ton of small calyx's with 2 hairs each, and from what it looks like, as the plant matures they will all become one huge cola. I scrogged out the plant not knowing it was a long flowering sativa. This kind of plant really shouldn't be scrogged out on a screen, it needs to grow straight up with no topping for best results IMO.;)

Hi AG, glad to see ya buddy, its been a while.
The Big plant is a Mystery Sativa that I got in a freebie Sativa/Indica mix pack from my first seed purchase. I have no idea what strain it is unfortunately. Its been flowering 12 weeks already and probably needs to go another 7-8 weeks. The bud structure is different from any other plant I've ever grown. Its got a ton of small calyx's with 2 hairs each, and from what it looks like, as the plant matures they will all become one huge cola. I scrogged out the plant not knowing it was a long flowering sativa. This kind of plant really shouldn't be scrogged out on a screen, it needs to grow straight up with no topping for best results IMO.;)

It sure looks like it brother. I know much of a bummer it can be to invest 2 months ( in your case more) in a strain that can potentially shift things in your schedule. But by the looks of it you are definitely doing the strain justice. It deserves to be in the outdoors, oh man imagine how big she could be.

Another user peaked my interest on a comment they made on your journal earlier; strains that flower closer to the seasons of the year might just be the strains we NEED to get our hands on. Gentic-wise they might be the closest thing to landraces we have, so I can see why growers would only selectively hand them out. Keep a cut of this thing going if you can man!

Back
Top Bottom