From Seed to Smoke - RQS Blue Mystic & OG Kush - DWC scrog

Hi everyone.:ciao:

Its Friday night, which means reservoir change and update night.;)

Today is day 63 of flower for the OG Kush, and she's got one last week to finish off. I started the 7 day Flush tonight, and I managed to get the PPM's down to 100. Even using R/O water there is still a little residual water from the reservoir with nutrients in it, so it can be hard to get PPM's below 100.
Its hard to tell how much Bud is really on this plant due to all the fan leaves near to tops of the buds. I'm guesstimating around 140-150g's dried but we'll see. On to the stats and pics.....

OG Kush Stats.
Day 63 since flipped to 12/12
PPM= 100
PH= 6.0
Air Temp= 79F
Water Temp= 65F
RH= 49%

IMG_002861.JPG

IMG_002362.JPG

IMG_002269.JPG

IMG_0003133.JPG

IMG_005445.JPG

IMG_0005131.JPG

IMG_0004124.JPG

IMG_000997.JPG

IMG_001377.JPG

IMG_003354.JPG

IMG_001476.JPG

IMG_003154.JPG

IMG_002957.JPG

IMG_002574.JPG

IMG_002461.JPG

IMG_002660.JPG

The seedlings are coming along nicely also. Its been 28 days since I popped the seeds. I think they are growing a little slow but they are doing alright. All three have roots coming out the bottom of the net cups and are in the reservoir water now so I'm expecting a growth spurt soon.

Critical and OG Kush seedling stats
PPM= 355 (a little high, I think but they should be alright)
PH= 5.9
Air Temp= 77F
Water Temp= 69F
RH= 49%

IMG_002767.JPG

The single plant in the top row is the OG, and the two in the bottom row are the Critical. I topped the larger Critical on the left. You can see the two new branches starting in this pic.
IMG_001671.JPG

IMG_001884.JPG

IMG_002078.JPG

Well, that's it for another week. The next update is a harvest update.:yahoo:
I hope you all have an awesome weekend, and a great week next week.
Questions and comments are always welcome. Stay medicated my friends.;)

sweet! we are going to harvest around the same time. nice ppm count. can you measure how far the sprouts are from the fluorescent lights? thanks.

sweet! we are going to harvest around the same time. nice ppm count. can you measure how far the sprouts are from the fluorescent lights? thanks.

Hi B.
Definitely looking forward to harvesting the OG, its a strain I've never tried before. Your plant is looking very nice also.;)

I started the Seedlings in my Kitchen window, the tallest plant popped first so it stretched a lot in the natural sunlight on my window sill while waiting for the other seeds.
Since I put the seedlings into the closet they haven't grown any taller under the T5's, they have just worked on their roots and leaves I guess. The tallest seedling is 4 inches from the light, the shorter ones are about 6 inches from the light.;)

subed +reps stealth...althought im not exactly sure what all reps is.. I just know its good!!:bravo: lol but anyway I've read most of all your journals and im excited to see this one with the criticals and og thru.

I have a similar setup from supercloset, but I've already run into the dreadful pythium.. I see you've never had that issue although your res temps were up in the 70s last summer. Lucky you!!! but anyway hope I can make my closets work as well as you've put yours to use,.. once I figure this root shit out first of course.. Your journals have taught me more about my supercloset, than supercloset themselves. Thanks for that!! Appreciate it!!

subed +reps stealth...althought im not exactly sure what all reps is.. I just know its good!!:bravo: lol but anyway I've read most of all your journals and im excited to see this one with the criticals and og thru.

I have a similar setup from supercloset, but I've already run into the dreadful pythium.. I see you've never had that issue although your res temps were up in the 70s last summer. Lucky you!!! but anyway hope I can make my closets work as well as you've put yours to use,.. once I figure this root shit out first of course.. Your journals have taught me more about my supercloset, than supercloset themselves. Thanks for that!! Appreciate it!!

Hi Dank.:ciao:
Welcome to :420:
Your the second person in as many weeks to pretty much say the same thing about my Supercloset journals, thanks for the compliment man, Its nice to know I'm helping people out.:high-five:
If you start up a journal send me an invite, or if you have questions feel free to hit me up whenever, I'll certainly help out if I can.;)

In my first journal I had a prob with root rot when I lost power for a day or so. The roots looked horrible, they turned a very dark brown, almost black. I used a little H2O2, and it worked wonders. I'm sure it will help with the pythium issue your having also. I still use H2O2 every second or third reservoir change just to keep everything clean, and the plants benefit from it. I usually use 1ml/gal of the 29% H2O2, you might wanna give it a shot if you haven't already.

Your grow is so great to come by and learn something!
Thinking of imitating your rez set up next time.
Thanks for the flushing tips!

Your grow is so great to come by and learn something!
Thinking of imitating your rez set up next time.
Thanks for the flushing tips!

Hi Hidden.:ciao:

Thanks for dropping in again and checking out the grow. If you want any help or have any questions about my DWC setup don't hesitate to ask. I went turn key but I know how to DIY also.;)

I went and checked on my grow tonight. The OG is flushing well, PPM's are down to 70 now and leaves are already starting to turn a more yellowish green in the past two days since the start of the flush.

Hi Dank.:ciao:
Welcome to :420:
Your the second person in as many weeks to pretty much say the same thing about my Supercloset journals, thanks for the compliment man, Its nice to know I'm helping people out.:high-five:
If you start up a journal send me an invite, or if you have questions feel free to hit me up whenever, I'll certainly help out if I can.;)

In my first journal I had a prob with root rot when I lost power for a day or so. The roots looked horrible, they turned a very dark brown, almost black. I used a little H2O2, and it worked wonders. I'm sure it will help with the pythium issue your having also. I still use H2O2 every second or third reservoir change just to keep everything clean, and the plants benefit from it. I usually use 1ml/gal of the 29% H2O2, you might wanna give it a shot if you haven't already.

Thanks for the Welcome Stealth!!

Yes, supercloset could be a bit more helpful IMO, definitely not a plug n go system, but nothing helps more I think than someone like yourself willing to share his experience, making the grow community as a whole better off. I would start a journal myself, and still may in the near future, but I didn't want to do a half ass job and I've been super busy researching, taking care of the babies, and all the rest life throws at me. But when I do I hope mine will be as helpful to another as yours has to me.

..but Yea that is right I remember that now. You did have a problem when the thunder storm came, but I forgot it was actually rot. If I remember right you were in flower at the time it happened the first time, but the second time you were actually around to turn everything back on before any damage was done.

I'm still in veg so I hope I can still salvage a respectable harvest through my mistake. I let res temps get too high during the one hot week we've had this year, and that created all types of problems. I've heard the rot can come from improper germination, but once my roots began to show they were white as could be. So before I could actually see my roots browning I went to the hydro store and got some Zone by Dutch Masters and I thought I had caught it before any damage was done, but I was sadly mistaken. When I woke the next morning to check the dreaded root was fully visible and had taken over my entire system. Tried Hydro Rush with the Zone because the Zone wasn't working like I wanted, but the rot kept worsening thru all of that. So I finally got some H202 after deciding against bennies. My question to you though is..Do you think I made a mistake by snipping most of the diseased roots off? I heard they wouldn't likely recover and would fall off only to feed the rot, so I snipped them, may've been a huge mistake. What do you think?

Looking Lovely Stealth :thumb:

Mahalo Chronic.
Three more days til the Chop.;)

IMG_002461.JPG

Thanks for the Welcome Stealth!!

Yes, supercloset could be a bit more helpful IMO, definitely not a plug n go system, but nothing helps more I think than someone like yourself willing to share his experience, making the grow community as a whole better off. I would start a journal myself, and still may in the near future, but I didn't want to do a half ass job and I've been super busy researching, taking care of the babies, and all the rest life throws at me. But when I do I hope mine will be as helpful to another as yours has to me.

..but Yea that is right I remember that now. You did have a problem when the thunder storm came, but I forgot it was actually rot. If I remember right you were in flower at the time it happened the first time, but the second time you were actually around to turn everything back on before any damage was done.

I'm still in veg so I hope I can still salvage a respectable harvest through my mistake. I let res temps get too high during the one hot week we've had this year, and that created all types of problems. I've heard the rot can come from improper germination, but once my roots began to show they were white as could be. So before I could actually see my roots browning I went to the hydro store and got some Zone by Dutch Masters and I thought I had caught it before any damage was done, but I was sadly mistaken. When I woke the next morning to check the dreaded root was fully visible and had taken over my entire system. Tried Hydro Rush with the Zone because the Zone wasn't working like I wanted, but the rot kept worsening thru all of that. So I finally got some H202 after deciding against bennies. My question to you though is..Do you think I made a mistake by snipping most of the diseased roots off? I heard they wouldn't likely recover and would fall off only to feed the rot, so I snipped them, may've been a huge mistake. What do you think?

Hi Dank.;)

Honestly I'm not sure about cutting the roots, I'm sure you haven't killed it or anything. The plant should recover, but you definitely slowed down the growth for a week or two while she heals and grows more roots. Add some of the Root66 root enhancer (per directions) that came with the closets, it should help with new root growth.

As for reservoir temps, as you know I was using plastic bottles filled with water and frozen to keep the temps under control. I suggest the same for you if the temps rise again. Get some 2L soda bottles and freeze water in them, because they are so big they last longer in the reservoir. I have 2 bottles for each closet that I rotate, 1 in the freezer and the other in the reservoir, and I swap them out once a day.

How are your PPM's? Are you using the nutrient recipe chart that came with the closets?
I found that using the recipe chart the PPM's were way to high and made you use 3 times as much nutrients as you really need.
I only use 1/3 the nutrients the chart recommends whether in veg or flower, and the plants are doing great.
My biggest tip is keep your PPM's low. Its much easier to fix a deficiency by upping the nutrients a little, than over feeding and burning your roots and stunting growth.
Good luck.;)

P.S You mentioned "babies" plural, twins? If yes, that's pretty cool cause I got twin girls myself.

Mahalo Chronic.
Three more days til the Chop.;)

IMG_002461.JPG

Hi Dank.;)

Honestly I'm not sure about cutting the roots, I'm sure you haven't killed it or anything. The plant should recover, but you definitely slowed down the growth for a week or two while she heals and grows more roots. Add some of the Root66 root enhancer (per directions) that came with the closets, it should help with new root growth.

As for reservoir temps, as you know I was using plastic bottles filled with water and frozen to keep the temps under control. I suggest the same for you if the temps rise again. Get some 2L soda bottles and freeze water in them, because they are so big they last longer in the reservoir. I have 2 bottles for each closet that I rotate, 1 in the freezer and the other in the reservoir, and I swap them out once a day.

How are your PPM's? Are you using the nutrient recipe chart that came with the closets?
I found that using the recipe chart the PPM's were way to high and made you use 3 times as much nutrients as you really need.
I only use 1/3 the nutrients the chart recommends whether in veg or flower, and the plants are doing great.
My biggest tip is keep your PPM's low. Its much easier to fix a deficiency by upping the nutrients a little, than over feeding and burning your roots and stunting growth.
Good luck.;)

P.S You mentioned "babies" plural, twins? If yes, that's pretty cool cause I got twin girls myself.

NO!! NO Twins For me my friend!! I just refer to my plants as my babies lol... but yes I agree the technaflora nutes that came with the closets are definitely too strong to use at suggested doses. I use 1/4 strength and found that going to half strength is a bit too strong. I try to keep my nute solution around 4-500 ppm during this stage.

I am also employing the frozen water technique. Haven't had to recycle frozen bottles lately because its not that warm outside, but we have some warm days coming so I guess I'll have to babysit a little. I've found that I have had to change the 2 liters more than twice a day to keep temps in range, but I guess its just something that has to be done since I cant bring myself to purchasing a chiller.

One of my strains is Critical Kali Mist! Is that the same strain as your Critical? I also am curious, how much difference do you think having those criticals in the large rez with the T5s and trellis, as opposed to just leaving them in the cloning chamber? I also moved my seedlings up to the main veg chamber early and have noticed the extremely tight node spacing you talk about, so I think this time with the Hawaiian skunk (that should break the rockwool hopefully today or tomorrow) I will keep them in the cloning chamber a while longer since I haven't yet manufactured one of those nifty stands you have there.

I also have a auto 45 day flower that Im not really sure what to do with.... Thinking of giving her her own closet.

One of my strains is Critical Kali Mist! Is that the same strain as your Critical? I also am curious, how much difference do you think having those criticals in the large rez with the T5s and trellis, as opposed to just leaving them in the cloning chamber? I also moved my seedlings up to the main veg chamber early and have noticed the extremely tight node spacing you talk about, so I think this time with the Hawaiian skunk (that should break the rockwool hopefully today or tomorrow) I will keep them in the cloning chamber a while longer since I haven't yet manufactured one of those nifty stands you have there.

I also have a auto 45 day flower that Im not really sure what to do with.... Thinking of giving her her own closet.

Hi Dank.
All my seeds are from Royal queen seeds. There are two different strains, Critical and Kali Mist at RQS. The seeds you have must be a cross of those two strains.
I'm trying out my little veg contraption with the T5's because I want to see the difference between vegging under the T5 vs. LED's. Like you mentioned, the node spacing is way too tight under the LED's I find, and hopefully the plant should be easier to train under the T5's.
I'm also vegging in the large closet just because I have the space, and I won't have to transplant from the cloning section 3 inch net cups to the main closets 4 inch, to put the plants in the larger closet. I find it a bit of a hassle when you have to take the seedlings or small plants from the 3 inch net cups and transplant them to the 4 inch cups for the big closets. Roots can get damaged and accidents can happen in the transplant, like the last OG Kush clone I broke by accident.

I may be anticipating this harvest more than you.

I may be anticipating this harvest more than you.

Hi Reg.

Tomorrow is the day:high-five:
I think I am going to make 2 harvests though. I'm gonna take all the tops and leave the bottom buds for another week to ripen.;)

That's what I did when I harvested my Cotton Candy Stealth. I let the bottom half grow for another 2 & 1/2 weeks. It really made a difference.

That's what I did when I harvested my Cotton Candy Stealth. I let the bottom have grow for another 2 & 1/2 weeks. It really made a difference.

I've heard that growers have done this with good results, glad you confirmed it. The tops are for sure ready for harvest, but there are a tons of golf ball sized buds that still need more time. Making two harvests out of the plant will give me more quality buds, but will also help with the time lines to get my closets back into a good rotation again.

Question? Did you give a feeding after your first harvest, cause the plant just has R/O water right now and PPM's are around 60-70. Should I give a light feeding for a week then flush again for another week? what's your opinion?
Harvest update and pics tomorrow night.;)

As you already know I'm in soil but no, I never feed again after the initial harvest. Just watered.

As you already know I'm in soil but no, I never feed again after the initial harvest. Just watered.

Yeah, I didn't think of the soil vs. Hydro. I might give the plants a light feeding for 1 week and then flush again for another week.
Going to do the first harvest the OG Kush in about an hour--update late tonight.;)

Back
Top Bottom