From Seed to Smoke - RQS Blue Mystic & OG Kush - DWC scrog

Hi everyone.:ciao:

Tonight was day 70 of flower for the OG Kush, and It was harvest time for half the plant.:yahoo:

I chopped all the tops tonight, but left the bottom half of the plant for another week or so. As you will see in the pics, the bottom buds are a decent size but still a very light green, and just not ready yet.

I did the bud wash on the harvested buds tonight. First bucket has warm water with a little H2O2, second bucket is room temp with about 1 cup of lemon juice and a Tbls of baking soda, and the last bucket is just cold water.
I swirl, and gently agitate the buds in each bucket down the line for about 30 seconds each, letting them drip dry for about 30 seconds in between each bucket. Then finally after the third bucket, let drip dry hanging on hangers in my closet for the next 5-7 days.
The bud washing worked very well for my Blue Mystic Harvest, and its nice smoking clean buds free of any dust or residue left from the Mighty Wash bug spray I used earlier in the grow. I'm very much looking forward to trying out this harvest.:yummy:

OG Kush Stats.
Half the plant is harvested, only the bottom half remains for another week or so to ripen a little longer under the LED. I did not feed any nutrients, I just added more water to top off the reservoir. She's still flushing.
Day 70 of flower.
PPM= 90
PH= 6.0
Air Temp= 79F
Water Temp= 69F
RH= 34%

IMG_001778.JPG

IMG_0006116.JPG

IMG_0007103.JPG

IMG_000998.JPG

IMG_001885.JPG

IMG_001095.JPG

IMG_001276.JPG

IMG_001378.JPG

IMG_001477.JPG

IMG_001585.JPG

IMG_001672.JPG

1ST bucket on left is the warm water and H2O2, middle bucket is lemon juice and baking soda water, and far right bucket is plain cold water.
IMG_0004125.JPG

IMG_001980.JPG

What's left of the plant after the tops were harvested. You can see in the following pics the immature buds. The leaves and the buds are a very light green and could use the extra time under the lights now that they have been exposed.
IMG_002079.JPG

IMG_002661.JPG

IMG_002172.JPG

IMG_002270.JPG

IMG_002363.JPG

IMG_002462.JPG

IMG_002575.JPG

IMG_002768.JPG

IMG_002862.JPG

IMG_003062.JPG

IMG_002958.JPG

The Seedlings are doing well, I've sprayed them with Mighty Wash insecticide just as a precaution, so they have a residue spots on the leaves, but other than that they are doing great.
They all have a decent amount of roots in the reservoir now, and growth speed does seem to be increasing. I've topped both Critical's at the fourth node now, but the OG Kush in the back row has not been topped yet. I also spaced out the plant in the reservoir a little more. I don't want their roots getting tangled together if possible. Just makes for an easier transplant to the other closet once they are ready.
The T5's are doing a great job of vegging the plants so far, and they are not as Thick and bushy as under the LED's, which is what I wanted. They stretch out a little more under the T5's but not to much, its just the right amount.

Critcal and OG Kush seedlings Stats
PPM= 390
PH= 5.9
Air Temp= 78F
Water Temp= 69F
RH=33%

IMG_003155.JPG

OG Kush is the top row plant in reservoir.
IMG_003253.JPG

Critical's are bottom two plants in reservoir
IMG_003355.JPG

IMG_003453.JPG

IMG_003549.JPG

That's all for another week, I hope you enjoyed.;) Its been a busy night and I'm tired, gonna go medicate and then go to bed. Have a good weekend everyone. Next update in a week and it will be another harvest update for the rest of the OG probably.
Questions and comments are always welcomed, Stay medicated my friends.;)

Hey there neighbor to the north, congrats on the half harvest. I too washed my harvest and also used H202, but I think I used just a tad too much. There is a standing Bud Washing thread that members share their experience with bud washing so that the topic becomes less taboo. Anyways, the use of the H2O2 is supposed to kill small unnoticeable populations of mold on/in the buds, but I slightly overdid it. I mixed about 350ml of that 29% H2O2 into 5 gallons of RO water as i was trying to dial in to DocBUD's original recipe. Well my slight miscalculation caused my harvest to rapidly dry when air hanging. Granted the room RH was very low as it was in the dead of winter with dray air conditions, I still remember thinking that my monster sized colas had dried down in roughly 3 days the amount that I was shooting for in 5-7 days. Long story short, I will wash again with H2O2 on sativas and other large cola harvests, or if I use any foliar sprays, but I will make sure to only use about half of that 350ml of 29% H2O2 per 5 gallons of RO water.

So I suggest keeping a watchful eye on your crops drying progress as you may feel the need to get it jarred up sooner than anticipated, unless you've done the H2O2 wash before and have mixed in the correct amount. Congrats again buddy!

Hey there neighbor to the north, congrats on the half harvest. I too washed my harvest and also used H202, but I think I used just a tad too much. There is a standing Bud Washing thread that members share their experience with bud washing so that the topic becomes less taboo. Anyways, the use of the H2O2 is supposed to kill small unnoticeable populations of mold on/in the buds, but I slightly overdid it. I mixed about 350ml of that 29% H2O2 into 5 gallons of RO water as i was trying to dial in to DocBUD's original recipe. Well my slight miscalculation caused my harvest to rapidly dry when air hanging. Granted the room RH was very low as it was in the dead of winter with dray air conditions, I still remember thinking that my monster sized colas had dried down in roughly 3 days the amount that I was shooting for in 5-7 days. Long story short, I will wash again with H2O2 on sativas and other large cola harvests, or if I use any foliar sprays, but I will make sure to only use about half of that 350ml of 29% H2O2 per 5 gallons of RO water.

So I suggest keeping a watchful eye on your crops drying progress as you may feel the need to get it jarred up sooner than anticipated, unless you've done the H2O2 wash before and have mixed in the correct amount. Congrats again buddy!

Hi Skybound, and thanks for the congrats.;)

I have used the Bud washing before, but I use 3% Hydrogen peroxide that you can put on cuts etc... for the bud wash, not the 29% stuff. I can see where that would affect the harvest if you use to much of the 29% H2O2.

Nice Half a hull Stealth.

Damn sorry aint been by in a while, some how id un subbed!!!?? Sorry but back and will read up tomorrow. Ive missed your work!

No worries LA, glad to see ya.;)

Nice Half a hull Stealth.

Thanks B A R. :high-five:
The buds I harvested on Friday are almost dry, probably gonna start trimming tomorrow night. The Buds look nice and frosty.
:yummy:

I've heard that growers have done this with good results, glad you confirmed it. The tops are for sure ready for harvest, but there are a tons of golf ball sized buds that still need more time. Making two harvests out of the plant will give me more quality buds, but will also help with the time lines to get my closets back into a good rotation again.

Question? Did you give a feeding after your first harvest, cause the plant just has R/O water right now and PPM's are around 60-70. Should I give a light feeding for a week then flush again for another week? what's your opinion?
Harvest update and pics tomorrow night.;)

In my current hydro system, I reduced feed from 900 to 500 PPM when waiting the extra week for my lower buds to ripen up. I also flushed for 3 days at the end of the week back down to 0 PPM. Hope that helps.

Congrats on the harvest too :Rasta:

In my current hydro system, I reduced feed from 900 to 500 PPM when waiting the extra week for my lower buds to ripen up. I also flushed for 3 days at the end of the week back down to 0 PPM. Hope that helps.

Congrats on the harvest too :Rasta:

Thanks AG.;)

Stealth, is there any advantages to trimming after drying? I've been trimming immediately after chopping.

Stealth, is there any advantages to trimming after drying? I've been trimming immediately after chopping.

Hi B A R

No real advantages IMO, just preference or time really.
I removed all the large fan leaves and any leaves that don't have "sugar" on them, but the rest I washed using the "Bud Washing" technique. That way even the sugar leaf that I use to make hash is washed, and clean. Because the buds are literally dripping wet after the bud wash, its not easy to trim any further until it dries.
It does take a little longer for the final trimming job though.;)

I'm gonna start trimming my OG Kush tonight. The harvested tops are much smaller than the whole branches I usually harvest, so its not taking as long to dry.
:rollit:

Hi B A R

No real advantages IMO, just preference or time really.
I removed all the large fan leaves and any leaves that don't have "sugar" on them, but the rest I washed using the "Bud Washing" technique. That way even the sugar leaf that I use to make hash is washed, and clean. Because the buds are literally dripping wet after the bud wash, its not easy to trim any further until it dries.
It does take a little longer for the final trimming job though.;)

I'm gonna start trimming my OG Kush tonight. The harvested tops are much smaller than the whole branches I usually harvest, so its not taking as long to dry.
:rollit:

Glad to see someone answered the question I asked a few days ago. Mine is not for packaging so full trim is not needed....IMO...LOL. And that is the main reason I only trimmed a little. Actually as Stealth suggested above but did practice trimming bringing the buds to a more "Bud" appearance. Gonna smoke the trim in the next day or so for testing purposes...LOL. Yea, right...LOL.

Hey man, harvest looking good!
Do you wash every batch or just when you feel there might be mould inside the bud?

On a other note, I'm thinking of using a flushing product. My pal hooked me up with a bottle of expensive stuff (never sure of the rules when it comes to naming brands) but I plan on running it before I flush with plain RO for a week.

Your grow always has so much to teach me!

Hey man, harvest looking good!
Do you wash every batch or just when you feel there might be mold inside the bud?

On a other note, I'm thinking of using a flushing product. My pal hooked me up with a bottle of expensive stuff (never sure of the rules when it comes to naming brands) but I plan on running it before I flush with plain RO for a week.

Your grow always has so much to teach me!

Hi Hidden.:ciao:

Thanks buddy.;)
I washed my last two harvests and will wash all my harvests from now on. I wash them not because there might be mold, but because I wanna smoke clean bud. I don't wanna smoke bud with dust, or insect droppings (if I've had bugs during the grow), or any insecticide, however mild, if I used any.

I like the analogy that was used in the original article.
Just like you wash your vegetables before eating them, it's probably a good idea to wash Cannabis before consuming it as well. How big an impact it makes will depend on the environment the buds were grown in. Was it outdoors or indoors? Was the indoor garden sealed or ventilated? Was anything sprayed on the plants, ie: food or pest control?

Here's a link to the original post with instructions on how to wash your buds.

Bud Washing

As for the flushing product, I've never used any before, but if you have some that was given to you give it a try, it shouldn't hurt.;)

Stealthgrow, I want to be like you when I grow up man! :morenutes: I read thru the journal and I'm really impressed with this grow. I have some BM beans I'm going to start on my next grow. I use an led and will be growing in roots organic soil. Thanx for sharing about the bud wash. Has anyone ever talked about mold after washing? Does the Lemmon juice and baking soda prevent it? Awesome grow stealth! :yummy:

Stealthgrow, I want to be like you when I grow up man! :morenutes: I read thru the journal and I'm really impressed with this grow. I have some BM beans I'm going to start on my next grow. I use an led and will be growing in roots organic soil. Thanx for sharing about the bud wash. Has anyone ever talked about mold after washing? Does the Lemmon juice and baking soda prevent it? Awesome grow stealth! :yummy:

Hi Free bud, thanks for the compliments man, much appreciated.;)
Out of all the strains I've grown so far, Blue Mystic yielded the most and it's a very nice smoke, potent enough, and it tastes very nice, kinda fruity.
I've never heard of anyone having any mold issues after doing the Bud Wash, It really only adds a day to the drying process.

I trimmed up all the tops I harvested last Friday and ended up with 51.1grams dry so far, its all in CVaults curing. I'm actrually "sampling" my first joint of it right now as I type. It still needs to be cured for a couple of weeks or three but the taste is good...very dank.

The rest of the plant is looking really nice, all the immature bottom buds have had a chance to ripen up under the direct light of the LED's and second harvest should be this Friday.;)

Hers's a pic of one of the OG Kush nugs. No huge buds with the OG, just a lot of smaller golf/ping pong ball sized nugs.

IMG_0001124.JPG

IMG_0002132.JPG

IMG_0004127.JPG

Next update on Friday when I go do the weekly reservoir change for the Critical and OG Kush seedlings and final Harvest of the OG Kush.;)

PS. Just finished my first joint of the OG Kush and have a nice buzz on.:rollit:

Hey Stealth,
It's been awhile, been working a whole hell of a lot. First off let me begin by saying that you have that trinity locked down, I mean your buds look absolutely gorgeous. Now my indecisiveness got the best off me and have finally made a decision, supercloset was always a top choice but after months upon months of research I have gone with the Bloombox 3.0 from BCnorthernlights out of Canada, and would love to do a comparison with the trinity once I get it rolling. It should arrive within a week or so and so far there customer support is astounding and are a very cool group of people. Also that box winning hightimes grow box of the year helped give me a push that way. None the less I will start up a page here from the beginning and will welcome any help or criticism you can give. Quantity is in no way my goal, my only hope is to achieve something of true quality that others can be proud of. Again yours grows are getting increasingly impressive and shows what can truly be produced in a cab.

Hey Stealth,
It's been awhile, been working a whole hell of a lot. First off let me begin by saying that you have that trinity locked down, I mean your buds look absolutely gorgeous. Now my indecisiveness got the best off me and have finally made a decision, supercloset was always a top choice but after months upon months of research I have gone with the Bloombox 3.0 from BCnorthernlights out of Canada, and would love to do a comparison with the trinity once I get it rolling. It should arrive within a week or so and so far there customer support is astounding and are a very cool group of people. Also that box winning hightimes grow box of the year helped give me a push that way. None the less I will start up a page here from the beginning and will welcome any help or criticism you can give. Quantity is in no way my goal, my only hope is to achieve something of true quality that others can be proud of. Again yours grows are getting increasingly impressive and shows what can truly be produced in a cab.

Hi Wraps.
Good to hear from you again, I was looking at bloom boxes also but... ;)
I'm glad you got a cabinet of some type, the main thing is you'll be growing your own smoke.
Hit me up and send me an invite when you get your box and journal up, I'd be happy to help any way I can.

My best advice for DWC is keep your PPM's low. Don't go over 500 PPM in veg, and try not to go over 800 PPM in Flower.
This has been my goal and its worked out for me.
When you grow in DWC the roots are dangling in the water/nutrients, and its so readily available that you don't need high concentrations. Its much easier to fix a deficiency by adding a little more nutes the next reservoir change than over feeding and burning your roots and leaves causing lockout and delaying the grow.

Looking forward to that invite, good luck man.;)

Back
Top Bottom