Grandpa Gets Oily! Everclear Extracts For Shatter Or Oil!

I received 5gal of 200 Proof Extractohol via FedEx just yesterday. It's food grade and the perfect product for high quality essential oil extractions.
I've got a 2gal vacuum pot and pump capable of 29" of vacuum. Might be able to vacuum extract through cooling coils to a condensate trap. Worth a try, right?

I received 5gal of 200 Proof Extractohol via FedEx just yesterday. It's food grade and the perfect product for high quality essential oil extractions.

That should do it! Go big or go home, I always say!

Here's a good explanation of the vacuum extraction process for those interested.
Vacuum Purging and Processing Tips - Skunk Pharm Research
Sorry for bombing your extraction thread, Gpa! I just know there are a bunch of technically minded people here who grow for others and may have this type of equipment already.

Here's a good explanation of the vacuum extraction process for those interested.
Vacuum Purging and Processing Tips - Skunk Pharm Research
Sorry for bombing your extraction thread, Gpa! I just know there are a bunch of technically minded people here who grow for others and may have this type of equipment already.

I've got a 2gal vacuum pot and pump capable of 29" of vacuum. Might be able to vacuum extract through cooling coils to a condensate trap. Worth a try, right?

That’s awesome! I’d love to try that. Does that mean you can reuse the alcohol? That would be even better. And cost effective.

Thanks for sharing Grandpa! .
Ours is flip flopped, we get everclear but not extractohol.

Interesting. I don’t understand that one.

REPS to ya gramps.. great tutorial and links to the items you would need as well. Very clever man!! Your shatter has a real nice color.. true amber coloring there. Hot damn i bet that gets you high as shit lol. .....

It’s good enough for me. :tokin:

Hell yeah, that was my suggestion!

I want to learn!

Here’s a few pictures of some older extracts. They are both stable, but you can tell which one was the second wash. Enjoy!

D0E86485-B807-4D3B-8019-55975DC65133.jpeg

7310760F-C9D1-4A08-A787-7C5304C610C3.jpeg

4299DCA3-9794-4330-9EEF-3D8553BD7954.jpeg

CA4F413F-1BD5-447A-9C2A-04CF798A3E96.jpeg

I honestly never would have thought Everclear could make smokeable concentrate before today... you proved me wrong, cause I'd hit that all night ..

Well done my friend!

Excellent tutorial write up GT. Thanks man.

Somebody mentioned the pyrex on the bottom of the cake pan earlier. I made some shatter a few weeks ago according to GT's recipe and thought the same thing. I took four small hex nuts and sat them in the water under the corners of the Pyrex. It gave a quarter inch clearance under the Pyrex and worked fine.

Useless facts to help drive home GT's safety point:
  • Grain alcohol's boiling point is 173 ⁰F.
  • Flash point 53.1 ⁰F
  • Auto-ignition 750 ⁰F
  • Cigarette cherry 1652 ⁰F

I honestly never would have thought Everclear could make smokeable concentrate before today... you proved me wrong, cause I'd hit that all night ..

Well done my friend!

It’ll curl your toes...LOL! Thanks Dabs!

Excellent tutorial write up GT. Thanks man.

Somebody mentioned the pyrex on the bottom of the cake pan earlier. I made some shatter a few weeks ago according to GT's recipe and thought the same thing. I took four small hex nuts and sat them in the water under the corners of the Pyrex. It gave a quarter inch clearance under the Pyrex and worked fine.

Useless facts to help drive home GT's safety point:
  • Grain alcohol's boiling point is 173 ⁰F.
  • Flash point 53.1 ⁰F
  • Auto-ignition 750 ⁰F
  • Cigarette cherry 1652 ⁰F

Ha! Good point! I will try the hex nuts next time. Are those temps at sea level? LOL!

That would have been me low these 9 hours ago! Good idea on the hex nuts. Then it becomes a mini double boiler.

Yep! Raising the Pyrex just slightly makes the double boiler idea a reality...of sorts. Thanks! It never hurts to be extra safe!

Just as a questimation, what your average yield from running say an oz 28g of flower... like would you get two grams of shatter? Or more?

See! This is why I don’t do these things! You guys want all kinds of technical stuffs. “Damn it Jim! I’m a doctor not a computer!” LOL! I used to weigh everything and calculate, but I just haven’t needed to do that (plus, I’m an old stoner who is lazy). I’d hate to guess and be way off, but I’m pretty sure it’s a little more than 10%. Now that I’ve said that...there are so many variables in this process that I really don’t want to guess. It depends on the material, alcohol, heat, environment, and even who’s doing it. I know for sure, that over the last 3 years I’ve gotten pretty darn good at making this stuff.

Looks like the millennium falcon

Haha it does!

Good grief! It really does! Good eye!

Here’s a quick update on this batch:

After ~36 hours, my oil is pretty stable. Enough that you can physically handle it...for a short time. Too long and it will melt into your skin because of body heat. Unless you’re like my ex-wife, that woman is just cold hearted! Enjoy!

9ED13093-C2ED-4BDA-B5F4-7647138F58C3.jpeg

B319EEB6-A739-4D5B-95AA-C577FF0BB123.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom