Grandpa's White Widow - 1st grow EVER

Yea...I'm a grandpa, that's true. I have a daughter who is 23...I also have a wife who is 23. I have 2 grandkids ages 2 and 7 months...and I have 2 more kids of my own, ages 2 and 8 months. My back hurts because I have a wife who is the same age as my oldest daughter.

Thanxxx yall !

Right on Grandpa...With apologies to old Detroit Bob Seager...you got the fire down below...lol

I also have a wife who is 23.

My back hurts because I have a wife who is the same age as my oldest daughter.

I will do the water as you suggest. The final 4 transplant begins tonight from the MG to FF.

LOL Mine's only a decade younger than me and she's not exactly my wife. Like I said, my back hurts so I figured yours would for sure.

Might put some extra perlite (if available) in when you transplant. Helps soil drain and roots breathe.

The same site that I bought my FF from also sells perlite, so I will get some as soon as I can. I got the other 4 transplanted today...we will see how they do. In all honesty, they did not look good when I brought them in (very droopy and sickly). The first 4 are looking very good. Next week I am buying the FF Grow Big. I also have a gallon of water sitting out until tomorrow so the chlorine can evaporate. Even if the last 4 die...I can still clone off the 1st 4 and a completed grow cab will be waiting.

Thanxxx for all the help and advice today ! I couldn't have gotten as far as I have without the help I get from yall.

Hi Grandpa, the perlite needs to be mixed into the soil so it will be needed for your next transplant. You won't be able to "add" it to your current medium.

Hey yall...Hope this catches everyone having a sweet weekend. I told yall about my having this REALLY tight budget I am having to work with. With that in mind...I transplanted the last 4 plants last night into the 2nd grow cab. Now these are the plants I was keeping outside for a couple of days. When I brought them in, they looked like shit to say the least. I figured they wouldn't make it thru the night. So instead of putting them in the FF which is expensive by my budget's standards, I put them in the MG I had left...which was simply a budget decision. I watered them and hung an extra fan in the cab to circulate the air and give a breeze effect. I go to check on them this morning, expecting the worst, and what do I find but ALL 4 OF THEM standing tall and the growth was like an explosion ! They are way bigger than the ones in the FF.

tmpphpA9Hd7r.jpg

04-26-09_B_014.JPG

04-26-09_B_020.JPG

The temp is a little higher than I would like, but the growth speaks for itself. I am without explanation here. They are back on a 24/7 photoperiod...and the ONLY nutes are from the MG. The water is tap that has sat out for close to 24 hours as was suggested.

04-26-09_B_025.JPG

tmpphpA9Hd7r.jpg

The ones in the FF are smaller, but still strong. And the look is more lush if ya ask me.

tmpphpEfgI4V.jpg

tmpphpGY9u0m.jpg

04-26-09_B_030.JPG

Obviously I am one happy old bastard. But is this normal for something like this to happen ? And what about the FF Grow Big ? I am planning on ordering it this coming Friday which should have it to my home around May 5th. The ones in the FF will be ready for it by then...right ? Oh yea...how about my use of 24/7 lighting during the vegetation period ? Is this the best way or do they need some dark during this time ?

Thanxxx for all your help and support yall...Gramps :yummy:

You can just let tap water sit out for 24hrs. Depending on your water. Lol! I swear the water here never actually rids itself of all the chlorine they put in it. ;-) A reason not to drink it.

I agree with pan4gold49. Your plants are most likely still recovering from the MG soil. Just keep an eye on the new growth. That will tell you the most on the health of your plant. Healthy new growth = healthy plant. ;-)

Yeah usually buy gallon water, but i do greatly agree with all of above, just let it sit also i figured that if its tap water sometimes after mixing the nutes in. Then its just like any other distiled water wouldnt make a difference because i think nutes would kill chorine idk just my theory... a lil medicated right now..

24 hours later and this is what I find...

tmpphpymikrZ.jpg

Drooping leaves...everything is hanging down, something is wrong.

tmpphpKW5EeR.jpg

tmpphpKW5EeR.jpg

I may have over-watered. I'm not sure. The planters have holes for drainage, but they are at the bottom and I am not sure the drainage is enough. I am gonna take a few minutes before I leave for work and try and drain them by hand.

I accept ALL suggestions here...:helpsmilie:

If your plant is sitting in water, just remove the excess and let the soil dry out a bit. Here's a good way to tell if your plant needs water or has enough. Check the weight of the pot dry. When you add water you notice a significant weight change. Judge the amount of water your plant needs by the weight of the pot. ;-)

I just went and checked and the pans underneath the planters are dry. So if there is any excess water it is in the planters themselves. I lifted each of them to see if any would drain out and there was only a dribble. I am gonna leave them alone and see if they dry out. Fans are blowing...humidity is high, and the temp is between 70 and 80 degrees. Let's hope for the best...thankxxx Ms. Fox, you're the goods ! No doubt about it.

Hi Grandpa,
We've ALL been there, and I still get a little over the top when it comes to watering. The pot weight is always good, but I'm just too lazy I guess cause I use a moisture meter which is 5-8 bux at the garden sections at most DIY stores ie: Home Depot and Lowes. With a moisture meter you can wait untill the needle goes into the "dry" section before watering. I plan on winging myself off the meter but it more than helps me now!!! There are even some that have a "dual probe" set-up, one for moisture and one for Ph. I'm not too sure how accurate the ph side is as I've nevered used one.

All in all this is your first grow, and one always learns probably the most on their first grows. It took me 3 before I started to focus on the right ph and soil. I just didn't take enough time to realize that those two factors are two of the most important when it comes to soil growing. Sorry about my book here, I must go back to enjoying my lunch hour on the forums :cool:

I use one to check the moisture in the bottom of the pot. I go in through the drain holes to see what is happening down there.. You can foliar feed them until the medium dries out. Just substitute a watering for foliar...

Do you have fish emulsion or sea kelp??? Something that will be a little easier on the plants then GB?

Grandpa, I forgot to tell, and I'm not sure if anyone has. But I've always believed its important to "tea" the Fox Farm nutes. This helps activate the ingrediants and it also helps them disolve in the water, again I'm not too sure if you've heard this or not.....

What should I do

Save up for that perlite! Mix enough into your soil and your plants won't experience over-watering. (Mix too much and you will have to water a lot more often lol.)

I just went and checked and the pans underneath the planters are dry. So if there is any excess water it is in the planters themselves. I lifted each of them to see if any would drain out and there was only a dribble. I am gonna leave them alone and see if they dry out. Fans are blowing...humidity is high, and the temp is between 70 and 80 degrees. Let's hope for the best...thankxxx Ms. Fox, you're the goods ! No doubt about it.

If you have dry pans and lift up your pots and liquid dribbles out, that sounds to me like your drain holes are sitting right on the bottom of your pans. If that is the case, you want at least a little gap between the two so that drainage can happen.

The pot weight is always good, but I'm just too lazy I guess cause I use a moisture meter which is 5-8 bux

I believe that grandpastoner has a VERY limited budget. That $5-$8 would purchase a small bag of perlite and allow him to mix it 1:4 or so with his soil which would go a long way towards preventing this problem in the future. Just a thought.

Also - with soil that is light enough to provide for proper drainage - in addition to hefting the pots to estimate their moisture content, you can always do the old-fashioned thing and stick your finger into the soil. If it comes up dry than you can water. If you encounter moist soil than don't.

Also... While it is true that MJ plants that are living in a perfect world will have the proper moisture content at all times, for many people this is not possible. In fact, some MJ plants are overwatered while some get a little bit dry. You can always try observing your plants; they will let you know when they are in need of water because they will look a wee bit tired (and eventually, wilted lol). If you see a plant drooping just a little bit, water it, and 20 minutes later it has perked up... Well, it was thirsty.

I believe it is better to let MJ get (a little) dry as opposed to overwatering. Simply put: A waterlogged (soil) MJ plant cannot breathe.

Also, if you look at the various landrace strains from around the world, many of the ones that come from environments where the moisture level is good/high (and the soil, temperature, etc. is good) really aren't that potent. But some of the strains grown in mountainous (for example) regions where the moisture content isn't high... are the stuff that legends are made from lol. After all, MJ produces THC as a defense mechanism in response to certain stresses.

Lighten that soil. And let them get a little thirsty in between waterings. Just don't let them get so thirsty that they lay down or become crunchy lol.

Back
Top Bottom