HPS is better than LED

Re: Let's all agree to agree with me...

Yea guess i dont know what quality is since growing with HPS... :straightface::hmmmm::dreamy:

021804.jpg

0221041.jpg

Thanks for the info duggan! I use a 440 CFM inline fan and cooltubes on my HPS. Summer months i get a temp rise of about 6 degrees using two 600 watts. Cant wait to see your harvest!

You grow some great plants Hunter, been watching you since I started. But, I think you're in denial,, you want LED's,,,,,you'll come around!!!

I'm just a new guy, but my LED's 38 days into flip are doing me just fine. I'm not sponsored by anyone. Yet

Here's my wanker for the contest, I have a fluffer fix it up for the pics ;) :Namaste:

20150803_184301.jpg

You grow some great plants Hunter, been watching you since I started. But, I think you're in denial,, you want LED's,,,,,you'll come around!!!

I'm just a new guy, but my LED's 38 days into flip are doing me just fine. I'm not sponsored by anyone. Yet

Here's my wanker for the contest, I have a fluffer fix it up for the pics ;) :Namaste:

20150803_184301.jpg

That IS amazing...bottom line :)

That IS amazing...bottom line :)

Thank you brother, you know I love busting chops so never take offense....

Anyway, let me tell you, this is where those fluff producing LED's make a huge difference for me. I run my lights during the day. Today, outside it's mid to low eighties, in that bloom room it's 78° mid day.

Could. NEVER. Run. 1000wts of HPS. During. THE. DAY. without lots of extra gear, headaches, and expense. So, some say run the hps air cooled, and at night. It's an option but you have to deal with the heat one way or another.... Exhaust it,, okay.

That heat signature is the first way cops start their case. They get a heat signature, and the next thing you know they are at you door. I'm legal.

But, I also don't want some nosey neighbor with cheap heat cam to find my grow, just the same. LED's, day or night,,,, no heat signature.

It's a consideration for many.

Anyway. By running my lights during the day and easily managing the heat.... I can run my room super cold during the night with lights off. I could not keep that room in the low sixties, for lights off, if I ran my lights at night. And tried to cool that room for lights off during the summer heat. No. Way.

That is why I run during the day, cause I know lights on during the day with LED's I can keep the bloom room in the high 70°'s - low eighties. And, I know, at night,, I can chill the room....

Big, tight, resinous buds I will have. And, no pest/bug problems cause they don't like the sixties ;)

I'll take your challenge Hunter, that you offered someone maybe Duggan, and weigh a few branches right before I wash,, then I'll weigh again before I trim. :)

Got a few more weeks till I chop though. Just enough time to get the fluff out...

:high-five:

Re: Scrubbys Rare Darkness - Rare Dankness #1 x Grape Ape in Doc Bud's Kit

Since I made the switch to LED from HID's I havn't noticed my buds getting fluffy or not hard....I just love my Budmaster 2....The buds in my GR are tight and hard....no challenge taker here. I know what works ...look at my latest pics. I still can't believe there are growers out there that don't believe in using LED's. That's fine by me...let THEM deal with all the extra costs of cooling, etc...I'm done with HID's.it really is a no brainer, all ya gotta do is look around at all our success! BTW, nice cola MMM.
Hey Scrubbs , sorry for the mini hi jack my brotha! Whenever I hear talk of LED's. verses HID's, I gotta jump in...hope that's cool!Cheers eh, and have a great night! :Namaste:

Since I made the switch to LED from HID's I havn't noticed my buds getting fluffy or not hard....I just love my Budmaster 2....The buds in my GR are tight and hard....no challenge taker here. I know what works ...look at my latest pics. I still can't believe there are growers out there that don't believe in using LED's. That's fine by me...let THEM deal with all the extra costs of cooling, etc...I'm done with HID's.it really is a no brainer, all ya gotta do is look around at all our success! BTW, nice cola MMM.
Hey Scrubbs , sorry for the mini hi jack my brotha! Whenever I hear talk of LED's. verses HID's, I gotta jump in...hope that's cool!Cheers eh, and have a great night! :Namaste:

I believe in LED technology.

I do not believe in the current LED industry/market.

No hate, just waiting for reason and science to take over for hyperbole.

Lets see a high end respected company make their own units. So far I see huge markups on rebranded products. These companies don't even have the track record to inspire confidence in warranties, its amazing to me that they can demand the prices they do. I'll take 2000w of Gavita light for a grand and stack it up against any spec you want to talk about. Sure I spend money on air conditioning. I don't see how my AC justifies the prices they are asking for these LEDs.

Its pretty silly to attack each other over what these companies do. The business models work in tons of industries, who can blame them.

I believe in LED technology.

I do not believe in the current LED industry/market.

No hate, just waiting for reason and science to take over for hyperbole.

Lets see a high end respected company make their own units. So far I see huge markups on rebranded products. These companies don't even have the track record to inspire confidence in warranties, its amazing to me that they can demand the prices they do. I'll take 2000w of Gavita light for a grand and stack it up against any spec you want to talk about. Sure I spend money on air conditioning. I don't see how my AC justifies the prices they are asking for these LEDs.

Its pretty silly to attack each other over what these companies do. The business models work in tons of industries, who can blame them.

BK ,ya eh...i agree with you 100% when speaking of price and how they arrive at it. They are way too expensive for sure. My BM 2 i have cost me close to a grand by the time you add all the fluff but couldn't grow what or how i do with HID's. If it wasn't for all the heat...i may still be using them.....it's the heat man ,the heat. I can't afford to buy a fancy AC unit for my lil GR and wouldn't have room for it anyhow.When LEDS came about ...i was just as happy as i was ,when FEM. seeds hit the market....yeepa, yeepa! Cheers BK and have a great night my brotha.:high-five:

To be fair, irony and karma like to get together when you make cocky statements like that, and bitch slap you. (see my recent journal lol).

I think you end up with a bit of a crossroads for sure, the heat duggs. But if you didn't spend that much on lights you could afford ac. But then residual costs of ac add up. But then theres the "I have a Gavita" vs "I have China but I paid for Monaco". I don't mind the give and take, the lack of a/c in any grow is a sexy concept. So is manipulating environment however you want. Or remembering to leave the fucking AC turned on.

You guys are the coolest.

Damn, I'm a little late to the dick, I mean bud measuring party. Here is another airy small LED bud:

20150802_092029.jpg

She's finally coming down tomorrow or Thursday!!

Yep, that is a small 2-3 inch wide LED cola! But it doesnt look that airy! Good job! I hope you didnt put to much draw wattage into growing that! =) Im sure if you triple your LED wattage you may get to an HPS cola... :hmmmm:

Yep, that is a small 2-3 inch wide LED cola! But it doesnt look that airy! Good job! I hope you didnt put to much draw wattage into growing that! =) Im sure if you triple your LED wattage you may get to an HPS cola... :hmmmm:

Easy there Nitro, easy! Have you checked out my Desfrans lately? :surf:

Nitro thanks for the kinda nice words. I grew that under a platinum P300 and a BML Horticulture light bar. total draw for that plant was about 300 watts. Here's the full plant right before I chopped it.
20150805_173825.jpg

20150805_165920.jpg

One love, one heart,,, let's get together and feel alright.... Much love brother... Keep rocking what you do ;)

I haven't had a chance to read all this thread yet so can only imagine what you guys are saying to each other in here- but before I read it here's my fairly useless input and a question- may be a stupid one I'm a little smoked out atm.

I use my hid lights to heat my grow. The vent fan, which is controlled by a thermostat, kicks in when the temps rise and vents hot air, while cool air comes in through the passive vent. My climate is naturally cool all year round. In the winter the fan goes every few minutes. In the summer it's on a lot more. Air is exchanged and cooling takes place. If I ran led I would have to put in a heater to raise the air temps to 75-80. So I'd be constantly trying to get the place warmed, but constantly venting out my warm air and replacing it with the required fresh cool air. If I'm not missing something - led isn't going to be practical for me. Right? (Ok there's two questions)

The main question- Someone somewhere (here?) said that hid lights will run the risk of being detected by cops using thermal detection.
Wouldn't a led grow be venting hot air out at about 80 degrees temp- just the same as my grow? (though maybe less often especially in summer) How else do you get the required fresh air without venting? So isn't that risk of showing heat signature problem exactly the same?

From looking at lots and lots of pictures, it looks to me very much like plants grown under hps are generally growing bigger buds.
This won't last much longer though as LEDs improve. And I can see the the awesome benefits that go with the LEDs. When they get a bit better I'll have to find a way to switch- if I can find a way to make them work for me.

PS. I'm happy for everyone who wants to grow and however they want to do it. It sucks when people try to tell you your lights are crap. For one thing- we love our lights a lot, so nobody wants to hear that- and second it's 99% of the time just going to be a false statement. The one percent of the time it is a true statement...well...it's my lights and it's up to me to decide whether they're crap or not, dude. So my lights are crap when I bloody well say they're crap and not before and I'll bash you with this huge massive bud I just grew if you keep talking about it...

Where the heck did this thread come from?
I feel like I fell off a bridge and trolls were lurking under it. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Really Major? Geez I hope my post doesn't sound that way. I haven't even had a chance to read the thread yet

No - not yours at all.
It looks like this topic was culled from scrubby's journal. Since I posted over there, I ended up subscribed to this thread.
I agree with you; I happy for anyone who can grow great buds. What they use for soil or lights is of interest to me in my learning journey. But when someone talks down to others because of their choices, they lose cred' with me. Even the title of the thread smells of trolls. It might as well be, "Why are my plants so awesome and all of yours suck?"

Back
Top Bottom