InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Interesting. I use aspirin as a preservative for canned chilis, pickles that sort of thing. It's very useful stuff by the sounds of! I hope it works, Shed :popcorn:

"Aspirin can undergo hydrolysis, making it not as effective if it's exposed to water for extended periods of time. The technical name of the active ingredient in aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid. When it reacts with water, we end up with two products, salicylic acid and acetic acid."

Acetic acid is what's in vinegar so I'm not worried about it being an issue at the dilutions I'll be making, and I already have plain aspirin on hand. I can get pure salicylic acid if someone sees the acetic acid as an issue, but I figure I'll start with what's around.
That sounds interesting and especially so if it does a better job of treating the PM problem. I have occasionally taken a dissolvable aspirin when I have tension in my back (it's marketed as Disprin in my neck of the woods), I haven't ever noticed any acetic acid taste so I can't imagine that it would be a problem. I would just pop a tablet into a litre or two of water and spray some other plant that you may have growing that gets PM as a sacrificial tester, but you're very good with the numbers and calculations so you'll no doubt work it out exactly!

That sounds interesting and especially so if it does a better job of treating the PM problem. I have occasionally taken a dissolvable aspirin when I have tension in my back (it's marketed as Disprin in my neck of the woods), I haven't ever noticed any acetic acid taste so I can't imagine that it would be a problem. I would just pop a tablet into a litre or two of water and spray some other plant that you may have growing that gets PM as a sacrificial tester, but you're very good with the numbers and calculations so you'll no doubt work it out exactly!
Thanks Stunger, and I'm glad it worked for your back (I hope you don't have a personal PM problem)! I was looser on the measurements when I was trying it in my nute water, but as a foliar spray I thought I'd be more precise since there are sciencey folks who have already been down this road. It also makes it easier to explain what I've done for anyone wanting to give it a try.

Salicylic acid is treated with acetic anhydride, an acid derivative,
Fun fact- Morphine treated with acetic anhydride produces Heroin...
Which, incidentally, was invented by Mr. Bayer, the aspirin guy, in 1875..........

That's all I've got- I hope the salicylic acid chases away the pm!

Hey Shed, it just hit me and so I have a mirth-ful question for you:

You don’t smoke last I checked, correct?

So these tester buds. What do you do, farm out the “how is this so far?” opinion to someone whose opinion you trust? You certainly aren’t making extracts from them, so curious minds want to know - who in your orbit is the Royal Tester?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mirth away!
Correct.
So these tester buds. What do you do, farm out the “how is this so far?” opinion to someone whose opinion you trust? You certainly aren’t making extracts from them, so curious minds want to know - who in your orbit is the Royal Tester?
The tester of first resort would be my wife, Mrs Shed of "it gets me high" fame! She'll at least be able to tell me something about these testers, though to be honest they weren't removed for testing. I took them off because they were small, green, and a hotbed of PM because of their location in the belly of the plant. But as long as I have them I figured let's see how they hit, so I'm letting them dry naturally for a while rather than hitting her lungs with a hot-shot of chlorophyll! :cough:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
He takes photos for @Azimuth and and Azi (( also known as Kodak) because he doesn't do photos anymore) test's his nuggets 🤣

Mirth away!

Correct.

The tester of first resort would be my wife, Mrs Shed of "it gets me high" fame! She'll at least be able to tell me something about these testers, though to be honest they weren't removed for testing. I took them off because they were small, green, and a hotbed of PM because of their location in the belly of the plant. But as long as I have them I figured let's see how they hit, so I'm letting them dry naturally for a while rather than hitting her lungs with a hot-shot of chlorophyll! :cough:
Now I feel much better about having removed so much foliage from the “belly” of my Double Chocolate. I felt like I had butchered her & was so bothered by it that I left the other one alone. But My concern about PM is what prompted me to be so aggressive.

Now I feel much better about having removed so much foliage from the “belly” of my Double Chocolate. I felt like I had butchered her & was so bothered by it that I left the other one alone. But My concern about PM is what prompted me to be so aggressive.
On my big plants I do a lot more defoliation before I flip, and after stretch I take the branches that are only going to produce larfy buds.

You can see how much I take off a week before flip here:

1705713106698.png

I didn't want to mess with the autos as much because autos make me nervous!

Hey gang! I'm going to start an experiment to see if using aspirin works for PM (the idea came to me as I was spraying citric acid on the autos this morning), so I want to load some information in this post as a reference. Here are a couple of resources I found:

"Salicylic acid is shown to give the best protection against Powdery mildew when applied at 300ppm" and the chart shows better results than citric acid. Source

"Powdery mildew was significantly reduced with spraying aspirin at 2.5mM" on squash plants. Source

Since the molar mass of aspirin is 180.16 g/mol and they call for a 2.5mM solution, I used the molarity calculator here to tell me that I would need 225.2 milligrams (0.2252g) in 500ml of distilled water to get the 2.5mM dilution.

I'm having trouble finding a micromole to ppm calculator (where's @FelipeBlu when you need him?). Anyone here know how to do that calculation or find how to make a 300ppm dilution of aspirin? I need to keep checking online. I guess I could see if my old PPM meter still works and just keep adding more and measuring... :hmmmm:

Anyway, once I settle on a dilution I'll mix it up and test it on a fourth Candida clone that rooted to see if it does any leaf damage. If that looks good I'll dunk one of the Ruby Tuesday auto test buds in it and do a before/after scope of the trichomes. If there's no damage there then I'll try it on a single cola in the tent.

More as it happens!
I use 500 mg crushed regular aspirin in my water 💦 once a month. It’s supposed to have a lot of benefits to plants and Marta Stuart recommends it too. lol 😆 CL🍀

Here's a link I found that reviews salicylic acid for black mold on tomatoes and the tested amounts were 1.5g/L, which is over 3x more than the 0.2252g in 500ml (0.45g/L) recommended in the first study.

Still researching...
I remember @Danishoes21 was having some success with preventing pm with white willow. It contains some Salicylic acid but he was also using comfrey, nettles etc. CL🍀

I remember @Danishoes21 was having some success with preventing pm with white willow. It contains some Salicylic acid but he was also using comfrey, nettles etc. CL🍀
The thing about living someplace you can get all that stuff is apparently you don't need the site anymore. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Anyway, that's unrepeatable by anyone else who might want to try it (as natural as it may be), and I like to try things that everyone can find helpful.

Also, I'd lay money on the mystery seeds I got being from him. Who else would have auto regs and live in Canada?

The thing about living someplace you can get all that stuff is apparently you don't need the site anymore. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Anyway, that's unrepeatable by anyone else who might want to try it (as natural as it may be), and I like to try things that everyone can find helpful.

Also, I'd lay money on the mystery seeds I got being from him. Who else would have auto regs and live in Canada?
I’ll bet you’re right, I remember he was breeding some Filipino beans with something else that he grew. You should pop dem suckers! lol 😂 CL🍀

On my big plants I do a lot more defoliation before I flip, and after stretch I take the branches that are only going to produce larfy buds.

You can see how much I take off a week before flip here:

1705713106698.png

I didn't want to mess with the autos as much because autos make me nervous!
I'm seeing a dichotomy here. You feed your plants synthetically but let them grow naturally. I grow (or try to grow) mine organically, but manipulate their growth. There must be common ground. No need for this to get ugly...

I'm seeing a dichotomy here. You feed your plants synthetically but let them grow naturally. I grow (or try to grow) mine organically, but manipulate their growth. There must be common ground. No need for this to get ugly...
Har! A main advantage I have is that I don't need a flat canopy since they're grown in the sun. Also, I carry them outside every morning and inside every night, which leaves the training options pretty limited. I usually top above the 8th node, take off the first, and hold the tops flat until the lowers grow up enough that I figure I can just make it through the door twice a day in flower. :)

Back
Top Bottom