InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Later Monday update!

CapJunky on day 3:

I knocked that over yesterday and the whole peat puck came out, so I had to rebury the now 1.5" tap root and water it all together. Seems okay though.
:)

In Candida seed-making news, here's the seeded plant on flip day 37:

And that's it for the day.
:thumb:

Quote:
Looking nice and healthy and yes I see the purple.
1714437434002.png
Thanks Keith! We'll see if it carries on that way.

Later Monday update!

CapJunky on day 3:

I knocked that over yesterday and the whole peat puck came out, so I had to rebury the now 1.5" tap root and water it all together. Seems okay though.
:)

In Candida seed-making news, here's the seeded plant on flip day 37:

And that's it for the day.
:thumb:

Quote:

Thanks Keith! We'll see if it carries on that way.
Glad the seedling is ok, the Candida is a nice looking plant

Glad the seedling is ok, the Candida is a nice looking plant
Me too. Not often I knock things over but I'm having a couple of days like that now. Tipped over the cup, backed the minivan into a bollard Sunday night, and bumped a water glass all over the living room rug and hour ago. o_O

And that Candida smells as good as it looks...thanks con!
Purple ghost candy sounds fun
Hope so, thanks Tim!
Beautiful baby pics!
I'm using the macro setting on my phone more lately as long as everything is small!

You should have baby pics soon, no?

I'm using the macro setting on my phone more lately as long as everything is small!
Do you have a phone tripod that holds it still? I have a crappy phone camera it gets pixelated when on macro.
You should have baby pics soon, no?
I hope so. Some family stuff going on that threatens to disrupt my plans 🤞 🍀

What's giving you the dropsies?

Tipped over the cup, backed the minivan into a bollard Sunday night, and bumped a water glass all over the living room rug and hour ago. o_O
That's three, now stop 😅

Hope you didn't have to pay for that bollard thingy , messed up I have never heard it called that I think around here it a Safety Post LOL .... The Purple Ghost is looking good so stop knocking it over ><>< I get those weeks/ month some time they suck , Damn Magnetic hands ... How long on the seed maker you think ?

Quickie Wednesday and the last of the Candida pollen updates!

I took Stunger's advice and baked the silica balls in the toaster oven, but I went hotter and longer after doing some research online. I might have left them a bit long because they got a little toasted looking, but I plowed ahead with the plan.

Here are the vials for the pollen, a funnel because the tops of the vials are really narrow, and an extra vial to hold the leftover baked balls:

And here are the results (there are silica balls buried in there):

The final collection was really quite a haul!

One of each went into the fridge and the other two went into the freezer in case one method turns out better than the other.

That's it for me today! :ciao:

Quotes:
Do you have a phone tripod that holds it still? I have a crappy phone camera it gets pixelated when on macro.
I have one but I just hand-hold everything except trichome pics. It's hard to see what's really in focus on the screen, so my macro technique is to put the camera in the macro mode and set the focus to the minimum distance. Then I move in close enough to be able to tell it's too close and start shooting pics as I slowly pull the phone back away from the subject until it's definitely out of focus again.

At that point I just enlarge each pic and delete the blurry ones until I find the best of the lot. Takes longer to explain than do!
I hope so. Some family stuff going on that threatens to disrupt my plans
Families: can't live with 'em and can't shoot 'em! Whenever you start a new grow drop a link to it in the last journal please. :)
What's giving you the dropsies?
I wish I knew. I think my internal clock is running a bit faster than the rest of me these days, kind of an internal frantic? :hmmmm:
That's three, now stop
Yes ma'am! So far so good. 🤞
Hope you didn't have to pay for that bollard thingy , messed up I have never heard it called that I think around here it a Safety Post LOL
I had to pay $50 for a new reflector for the minivan, but the bollard was unscathed. I woulda sworn those things were plastic these days to prevent car damage.

I don't think I knew what they were called until my British wife called them bollards! Turns out the other name for them is “barrier posts,” but that's more syllables.
The Purple Ghost is looking good so stop knocking it over ><>< I get those weeks/ month some time they suck , Damn Magnetic hands
It was the CapJunky I tipped over as I would never tip over a sponsored plant. :laugh:

Luckily it's doing fine and dandy!
How long on the seed maker you think ?
Today is flip day 39, and I don't really know how long the seeds will take to mature as every plant is different. The last hand pollination I did (on that larf bit I showed) was flip day 31. I figure the plant will go at least 70 days in flower (June 1st), so that makes it almost 7 weeks for those to mature. Most folks say at least 4-5 weeks so I should be good.

At some point the seeds break out of the calyxes so we'll get a better look when they do. 👀

Damn, Shed. You ended up with a little Pollen Nation! Nice. 👀

Unfortunately, I believe aging loosens one's grip. (And I'm talking physical grip, not mental. We can talk about that too, though! :))

I discussed this with the Mrs. not long ago. I now have to use a slight bit more concentration when I pick up things, or I'll flub the pick-up. I need to make sure I'm firmly in hold of the object. It's nearly exactly as you described it:

my internal clock is running a bit faster than the rest of me these days
Get used to it. :straightface:

Damn, Shed. You ended up with a little Pollen Nation! Nice. 👀

Unfortunately, I believe aging loosens one's grip. (And I'm talking physical grip, not mental. We can talk about that too, though! :))

I discussed this with the Mrs. not long ago. I now have to use a slight bit more concentration when I pick up things, or I'll flub the pick-up. I need to make sure I'm firmly in hold of the object. It's nearly exactly as you described it:

Get used to it. :straightface:
As you mentioned both physical and mental grip in one sentence...saw this article some time ago...

"[47] analyzed data from 877 older adults without dementia and revealed that every 1-pound decrease in handgrip strength was associated with a 1.5% increased risk for Alzheimer’s disease and 9% increased risk for Alzheimer’s disease when examining annual rate of handgrip strength change during the 5-year study period. Given that age is a consistent risk factor for weakness and cognitive impairment, examining the association between handgrip strength and cognitive functioning in persons with advanced age may help to reveal new insights for this association."

As you mentioned both physical and mental grip in one sentence...saw this article some time ago...

"[47] analyzed data from 877 older adults without dementia and revealed that every 1-pound decrease in handgrip strength was associated with a 1.5% increased risk for Alzheimer’s disease and 9% increased risk for Alzheimer’s disease when examining annual rate of handgrip strength change during the 5-year study period. Given that age is a consistent risk factor for weakness and cognitive impairment, examining the association between handgrip strength and cognitive functioning in persons with advanced age may help to reveal new insights for this association."
Who the hell invited @Schnookie to weigh in!? :lot-o-toke:

Damn, Shed. You ended up with a little Pollen Nation! Nice.
Thanks GDB! I hope I end up with viable seeds on the Candida plant so I know it's viable pollen, and then I can set about making you some CapdidaJunk seeds. :thumb:
Unfortunately, I believe aging loosens one's grip. (And I'm talking physical grip, not mental. We can talk about that too, though! )
Get used to it.
Oh that sucks! Luckily none of my dropsy events were a result of holding anything (just spatial clumsiness), so I'm hoping it's not degenerative. Still, being mindful is definitely something I try to be in most of my movements because of my sensitivity to bumps to the noggin since my concussion in 2012.

Great info, thanks Schnookie! I particularly like the bit when they discuss "Interventions for Muscle Strength and Cognitive Function." They state: Intervention strategies for improving either muscle strength, cognitive functioning, or both may improve the health aspects of these outcomes.

That bit is here:
Who the hell invited @Schnookie to weigh in!?
LOL! Knowledge is power. 💪

Thanks GDB! I hope I end up with viable seeds on the Candida plant so I know it's viable pollen, and then I can set about making you some CapdidaJunk seeds. :thumb:

Oh that sucks! Luckily none of my dropsy events were a result of holding anything (just spatial clumsiness), so I'm hoping it's not degenerative. Still, being mindful is definitely something I try to be in most of my movements because of my sensitivity to bumps to the noggin since my concussion in 2012.

Great info, thanks Schnookie! I particularly like the bit when they discuss "Interventions for Muscle Strength and Cognitive Function." They state: Intervention strategies for improving either muscle strength, cognitive functioning, or both may improve the health aspects of these outcomes.

That bit is here:

LOL! Knowledge is power. 💪
I was wondering if you felt that earthquake that happened today near Corona? CL🍀

The final collection was really quite a haul!

One of each went into the fridge and the other two went into the freezer in case one method turns out better than the other.

That's it for me today! :ciao:
Excellent job on the pollen Shed, I like how you're covering your bases between freezer and fridge!
This correlation is often mentioned altho to me it seems hard to make that connection, and I must admit that I'll do things from time to time as I think that must help my grip strength. My father spent all his spare time in the garden and had a really strong grip, he must have been in the top 1% of grippers, I was always impressed with how easily he could crack an apple in half with his bare hands which was something I couldn't do. But in saying that, he ultimately went down with bad dementia.

Excellent job on the pollen Shed, I like how you're covering your bases between freezer and fridge!
Thanks Stunger, but I know some folks successfully store pollen in their sock drawer, so there's that!
This correlation is often mentioned altho to me it seems hard to make that connection, and I must admit that I'll do things from time to time as I think that must help my grip strength. My father spent all his spare time in the garden and had a really strong grip, he must have been in the top 1% of grippers, I was always impressed with how easily he could crack an apple in half with his bare hands which was something I couldn't do. But in saying that, he ultimately went down with bad dementia.
I'm sorry to hear about your dad, and my father had a really strong grip into his 90s and he also died with dementia. On the plus side they're trying to find predictors early enough to allow folks to get a better "grip" on what to do if it's suspected.

Thanks for asking Captain! I did not feel it sitting at my desk at work, about 50 miles west of there. Any earthquake I didn't feel is a good earthquake. :)
They said that it was a 4.1 so thankfully not a powerful one. But still it’s not something that you would want in your neighborhood. Wishing you n your crew all the best Shedster. CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley::passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom