Shizzy's Super Soil Grow Take 1 -Like a Virgin Mix- Purple Skunk- SIS- Blueberry x JH

Re: Shizzy's Super Soil Grow Take 1 -Like a Virgin Mix- Purple Skunk- SIS- Blueberry

Hi Shizzy -

For that much wattage, less than a foot is too close, in my opinion. I think you may have indeed found your issue. You will really be able to grow some rockin' massive bud with the light you're throwing, but I think it was a good idea to back it away again a bit. The hand test is a good test, though it sounds like your wife's hands are the ones to use. ;) Again, good job so far... until their minor sunburn they were looking nearly perfect (gotta love that!).

Check this out - you have what 1200w... roughly 180,000 lumens between the 2 bulbs?:
FC-Chart-HPS.jpg

Re: Shizzy's Super Soil Grow Take 1 -Like a Virgin Mix- Purple Skunk- SIS- Blueberry

holy shit shizzle you gona have some nice shit com harvest.. that reflector is bigger than my grow room lol,, as for the pics of leaves , looks allot like what i had ,the first pic looks like to much N well that was wat was wrong with mine but did no damage.. second pic ,my leaves started curling like that and its because the temps went over 80 for around a week but all sorted now... great set up ,im in:goodjob:

Hi Shizzy -

For that much wattage, less than a foot is too close, in my opinion. I think you may have indeed found your issue. You will really be able to grow some rockin' massive bud with the light you're throwing, but I think it was a good idea to back it away again a bit. The hand test is a good test, though it sounds like your wife's hands are the ones to use. ;) Again, good job so far... until their minor sunburn they were looking nearly perfect (gotta love that!).

Check this out - you have what 1200w... roughly 180,000 lumens between the 2 bulbs?:
FC-Chart-HPS.jpg

just what i was looking for ,,thanks .. great little chart

checkin you out!
great start, the folks here will get you to the Dankity Dank:cheer:

:popcorn:

Hey Shizzy!

Really nice job on you germination and getting them going. Starting your seeds directly in soil/medium is easiest on the seedlings. Other methods give us piece of mind a day or two earlier because we can see the roots start to develop, allowing us to feel relieved and excited about our success (or lack there of). Ultimately, the way you did it limits handling, exposure to light, and other potential pitfalls. I can see you've been doing the legwork and studying up. Good job and great start to the journal!
:goodjob:

On your issue... Don't panic and look to basics. Environment changes are probably your culprit. Do you keep a circulating fan in the room? I like to have a fan blowing across the area just underneath the lights, to keep heat from building at canopy level. Not too powerfully, but so hot air doesn't have a chance to build up if that makes sense (just reaching here, you may already be doing this). EDIT: looks like you have a fan...

What are the temps/RH at the canopy level? That leaf looks crispy dry to me and like its folding over on itself to protect from light intensity, heat or dryness (perhaps combo of the 3). You have some serious wattage going... Do you have enough distance beneath the reflectors? Was that second leaf close to top? We're there more like that one?

Hi Shizzy -

FC-Chart-HPS.jpg

Thank you X, I was looking for that chart. Based on the MATH on this chart, since it doesn't go to your wattage (combined with 2 bulbs - 1200w), you safe distance is 14-18 inches above the tops.

Thank you all I am so excited its picking up in here! :welcome: Ajagunle, Supsilvermand, fishcake and jfault20! I honestly have never been so excited to yap with this many new people ever.....I was so hesitant about starting a journal and feeling like a giant noob but noone been even the slightest bit unkind. This is the greatest community. Enough gushing....Xlr8 you always have the skinny and thanks to that chart I can feel safe keeping it further away. Heck a 1000w can go as far as 36" and still be safe and in the optimum zone, it is now about 20" away give or take an inch. I will get some pics up soon....they are growing into a giant mass of love......on the third set of 11 finger leaves....I feel like a kid!! :cheer:
Btw today is their monthday!! Happy monthday!

:peace:

Ok I see jandre I will drop it an inch or two....

Hi Shizzy -

FC-Chart-HPS.jpg
Hey could someone explain this chart. I've seen it a couple of times and wondered how it works.. I'm still super new to growing probably starting at the end of this month

Jfault on the top of the chart you have possible bulb wattages as well as the wattage expresses in lumens or actual number of rated light the fixture exudes....to the left we have the proposed amount of distance from the light in inches.....now the rest of the chart shows a. Red which means the distance is too close, b. Yellow which determines the optimum lighting distance for the chosen fixture and finally c. blue which tells us that at the proposed distance the light is too far from the plant. To use the chart select your light and choose a distance in the yellow space.....close enough to eliminate stretching, however far enough to avoid my issue! Cheers.

Jfault on the top of the chart you have possible bulb wattages as well as the wattage expresses in lumens or actual number of rated light the fixture exudes....to the left we have the proposed amount of distance from the light in inches.....now the rest of the chart shows a. Red which means the distance is too close, b. Yellow which determines the optimum lighting distance for the chosen fixture and finally c. blue which tells us that at the proposed distance the light is too far from the plant. To use the chart select your light and choose a distance in the yellow space.....close enough to eliminate stretching, however far enough to avoid my issue! Cheers.

.... What He ^^ said.

One thing I did fail to mention and something that I find important is my light schedule. I started at 18-6 then ran back one hour a week to 16-8 which is my current veg regime. However I am attempting to use a diminishing schedule my entire grow. The last two hours however will go straight to twelve twelve where I will again use the diminishing light schedule down to 9 hours per day. As I am limited in my indoor knowledge but have done quite a bit with friends from Benbow in Humboldt back in the nineties.....the fact that our sun uses the same routine, albeit a different animal, makes the choosing of the light schedule ultra important in my mind. After having read so much about GLR and lnowing that system does not currently work for me as I must turn on and off my own lights.....I thought my idea could be the next best thing.... I do not know but please chime in.

One thing I did fail to mention and something that I find important is my light schedule. I started at 18-6 then ran back one hour a week to 16-8 which is my current veg regime. However I am attempting to use a diminishing schedule my entire grow. The last two hours however will go straight to twelve twelve where I will again use the diminishing light schedule down to 9 hours per day. As I am limited in my indoor knowledge but have done quite a bit with friends from Benbow in Humboldt back in the nineties.....the fact that our sun uses the same routine, albeit a different animal, makes the choosing of the light schedule ultra important in my mind. After having read so much about GLR and lnowing that system does not currently work for me as I must turn on and off my own lights.....I thought my idea could be the next best thing.... I do not know but please chime in.

Your idea will work great. IMO the only disadvantage vs. GLR for you is cost savings you may miss out on. To mimic nature is often a wise strategy. I love te idea - I've been thinking of doing that for a while, actually, but never feel motivated enough about changing the timers repeatedly, haha.

Light cycles do matter, and seem to impact the end result in interesting ways. I read a piece from DJ Short, a heavily respected grower and breeder, where he expressed his opinion that light cycles can trigger specific indica or sativa traits in hybrids. For example, a hybrid flowered under 11 hours per day of light instead of 12 would hypothetically be more likely to express sativa characteristics vs. same genetics with 12 hours of light. My limited experience somewhat supports that: I grew Deadhead OG clones from same mom, 2 consecutive runs, different light schedules (everything else about the same). The ones flowered under 11 hours of light (the others were 11.5) had significantly different bud structure - as hypothesized, noticeably more sativa-like bud structure (though still fairly dense). Interestingly, the highs don't seem much different, however.

You don't have a timer for your lights - is there a reason other than $? I went to a thrift store the other day while killing... time. I was amazed at how many used electrical timers they had... Dozens, for cheap. I never would have thought to look in a thrift store for something lie that, but I was tempted to buy a bunch just to have 'em. Not saying money's an issue, but it is for many - me included. :)

Damn Shizz! I just found your journal! Looks like I got some reading for tomorrow! :)
My cursory glance says it'll be a good'n!

Well well Shizz, you have been busy! I don't know how I've managed to miss this one.

May I just say I love the Frankenstein! What a genius idea :thumb:

I know this is gonna go great. Everything has come to you for it with positive energy, I like donations for their inherent kindness. And with a supportive wife and doggies kept from going and have a good sniff and chew I know the rest will certainly work. I know what a huge difference it has made to me with my chap being so supportive even though he doesn't smoke anything at all.

I will be watching and hopefully I might be useful at some point!

P.S. It was referenced a while back about a thread where there were pictures of plant problems, I don't know if this was the one you were thinking of but it's been good reading for me

Plant Abuse Chart

Slowly diminishing over time is a good idea. Bear in mind though, that once you hit 13.5 hours you'll trigger soft flower, and will have no choice to keep diminishing to at least 12/12 to flower.

With GLR however, you're still using 13 hours of light, but 1 hour is moved to the exact middle of the dark period with 5.5 hours of dark on either side of it. This breaks the flower cycle just enough to push the plant to the brink of flower without going over. When you do start flower, you just remove the hour at night, and 3-7 days later, watch the magic happen.

I have been using this for almost a year, and in my small flower space, I don't worry about stretch at all. The transition doesn't take weeks, as when going from something like 18/6, so the stretch that some others worry about is not as bad. This might be something to think about with the lights and space you have if you don't have much head room.

i got to agree with jandre as always, ive been using glr for the whole of this grow and my plants have clearly grown quicker and seem more healthy, plus they showed sex a whole lot sooner at around 2 weeks, so i makes removing males a whole lot easier, plus then when you flip the lights to 12-12 to flower you done wait weeks for them to start flowering as they are ready to flower all ready, so it cuts the flower time down as well, plus the electric costs are lower for glr, so its a win win for me, for some reason i found that clones seem to benefit more than seedlings do, but after the first 7 days everything grows at the same pace,

so glr does work and its kept my plants nice and healthy,

You don't have a timer for your lights - is there a reason other than $? I went to a thrift store the other day while killing... time. I was amazed at how many used electrical timers they had... Dozens, for cheap. I never would have thought to look in a thrift store for something lie that, but I was tempted to buy a bunch just to have 'em. :)

Two weeks ago I got two old school analog timers for $3 total. Thrift stores and dollar stores, baby!

Back
Top Bottom