SlowToke's High Brix Cancer Killer Grow Journal - Blue Dream/Critical Cure/Darkstar

Re: SlowToke's High Brix Cancer Killer Grow Journal - Blue Dream/Critical Cure/Darkst

I think all I'm seeing are the calyx (calyces). That's where seeds would form and they make up the flowers you are after. Sometimes they are large like that. Others don't form fully. Maybe I'm missing what you are seeing. Do you mean the parts where the pistils are poking out?

Re: SlowToke's High Brix Cancer Killer Grow Journal - Blue Dream/Critical Cure/Darkst

I think all I'm seeing are the calyx (calyces). That's where seeds would form and they make up the flowers you are after. Sometimes they are large like that. Others don't form fully. Maybe I'm missing what you are seeing. Do you mean the parts where the pistils are poking out?
They are calyxes. There are ready to be fertilized. That's where the seeds would grow if pollinated. That's what I was told by another member. I think it was Mr. Am4zin who shared that tidbit of info with us.

They are calyxes. There are ready to be fertilized. That's where the seeds would grow if pollinated. That's what I was told by another member. I think it was Mr. Am4zin who shared that tidbit of info with us.

Thanks, Guys! I guess y'all are right. There weren't any pistils one the ones that I tried to show in the pictures. That's what had me concerned, we they were a bit fatter than the normal calyxes with no pistils. Major, the pictures do kind of look like some did have pistils, but that was just some pistils on another calyx. Anyway, thanks for setting that straight! I'll go ahead and feed the girls and plan to harvest next week.

BTW, the small stem I took pictures of went into the oven at 170 degrees for 45 minutes to dry, and two puffs later I'm right where I want to be. Mellow and relaxing, with a nice little body buzz. I'd chop these today with no regrets, but they look to me like another week won't hurt.

Nothing beats a sweet Saturday AM buzz, sitting on the back deck with cup of java! :smokin:

I see they've got you covered. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Yep, nanners are banana shaped and distinctly yellow. Those are just beautiful plump calyxes. :thumb:

Whew! :laughtwo: I had my own scare back when. Haha!

I forgot to compliment you one the beautiful sarracenia you have on your deck. We spent many a relaxing summer's eve watching ours devour flies. :laughtwo: You know they'll winter over outdoors with some protection. We never got that to work, but we were three floors up in a windy corridor.

Whew! :laughtwo: I had my own scare back when. Haha!

I forgot to compliment you one the beautiful sarracenia you have on your deck. We spent many a relaxing summer's eve watching ours devour flies. :laughtwo: You know they'll winter over outdoors with some protection. We never got that to work, but we were three floors up in a windy corridor.

Thanks, Sue. I've always loved pitcher plants ever since I used to see them in the wild in the bogs down in south Alabama. And then a couple years ago I bought the shallow black tub for some reason, and then we discovered the water garden section at the local nursery, and have been enjoying them ever since. I didn't know they would survive indoors. Although a moot point for me, as pretty much all my indoor grow space is already taken! :laughtwo:

Thanks, Sue. I've always loved pitcher plants ever since I used to see them in the wild in the bogs down in south Alabama. And then a couple years ago I bought the shallow black tub for some reason, and then we discovered the water garden section at the local nursery, and have been enjoying them ever since. I didn't know they would survive indoors. Although a moot point for me, as pretty much all my indoor grow space is already taken! :laughtwo:

They won't survive indoors. We couldn't keep them alive through the winters here. Kept buying new every year. :laughtwo: After a while that felt indulgent and a bit irresponsible, so after the third year I stopped it. He switched gears to nepenthes. :laughtwo:

Seeds may grow on any auto because of time factor.
That's what happened on 2 of mine (autos) that I've left 2 or 3 weeks more than I should. It happened on a previous grow too on a plant which life was extended 3 or 4 weeks (cream caramel) The AmnesiaXXL produced beautiful tiger/zebra-ed seed (some commercial seeds don't look as good and "apetizing") while the Jack47 was taked early enough (at week 14 or 15) but was full of embryos of seeds that are rather close to the texture of stems once it is dried (ie, it is more "wood" and it is not smokeable = cough, dioxide carbon and cellulose burning = is that healthy??) :)

If they were pollinated, I do not know where it comes from, I don't think that any of the old grumpy ladies that I have as neigbour have the profile of a weed grower :) For me, it is only a matter of time before any or many autos produce seeds. It is known that seeds from autos are unpotent.

I think - but I am not sure - that a second bloom of pistil is the event that says "i'm growing seeds now", or at least, that's what I will use now to try to know if seeds are growing: it means that if i notice a second bloom of pistils on an auto plant, I will cut it whatever is the state of trichomes on that plant. I am 100% sure that all affected plants fired a second session of pistil production. Once this second bloom is finished, you should find seeds or seed embryos. Worse, you may find a "pocket" of moist and fungus network around a big beautiful seeds - you will find it in your most beautiful cola of the year that you expected to win many contests, lol) . It really looks like a womb. The green around that pocket should be red-brown (like the pistils) or grey-brown (rot/chlorophyl destroyed) . It maintains high humidity in the "womb", i think that'sthe purpose, plus it feeds the seed).

Plants with a few seeds are not bad to smoke if you don't smoke the seeds, and if they are easy to remove.
. If it is many seeds embryos like on the jack47, then you can only do extraction. smoking or vaping is a waste and it is in fact disgusting, not enjoyable, not satisfying, and harm lungs. Extraction is the only thing you can do with this (not a bad thing in itself, I think I am going to produce for cold extractions only.

I hope it makes sense? I'd like to have more info if someone knows because what i just wrote about seeds is nothing but my own conclusions out of observation but it could be wrong!

I just want to add to my comment that it is important to be able to take close macro photo-shots to control trichomes. It can be quite different from what you can see with your eyes, and it's much easier than with the cheap microscopes. Since I can do this, I have had no problems and all the plants collected after controlling trichomes evolution everyday are the best flavoured and most potent and precious jars in my reserve ;-) .
The ones with seeds are cured for extraction: they are probably full of CBD/CBN?

I just want to add to my comment that it is important to be able to take close macro photo-shots to control trichomes. It can be quite different from what you can see with your eyes, and it's much easier than with the cheap microscopes. Since I can do this, I have had no problems and all the plants collected after controlling trichomes evolution everyday are the best flavoured and most potent and precious jars in my reserve ;-) .
The ones with seeds are cured for extraction: they are probably full of CBD/CBN?

Thank you for that valuable and insightful information spacef, and when I'm done here I'm gonna tap you with my heavy rep hammer, but I have to take exception to your statement about auto seeds being impotent. I've grown auto seeds that were produced by another cultivator here, to produce one of my favorite smokes, by the way. Heirloom, another member, is breeding Dark Devil Autos for seed and crossing them with select strains to see what he can get. He's already had seeds showing incredible vigor, enough so that it caught him off guard the other day.

The rest of your post was fascinating. I need to pay closer attention to my charges. You may have a point about the pistil waves, but I haven't produced any seeds in any of my autos, and I've run quite a few, and usually much longer than breeder suggestions. Curious. :battingeyelashes:

One other point, turns out the degradation of THC to CBN isn't as dramatic as we've all believed. Yes, it degrades, just much more slowly than we thought.

How rude of me SlowToke, to stop and engage in conversation without saying Good Morning :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

Thanks for the reply :thumb:

I have read so many posts saying that auto-seeds are worthless that I took it for granted... May be I should find a few a test them :)

For the reason about auto producing seeds, well, it's true that i don't know for sure, may be there are factors I havn't noticed yet.
The reason I "found" would be compatible with a plant which has evolved to survive in a harsh environment, like the ruderalis: I thought that it may be survival skills that makes the plant follow its program whetever happens, in order to maximize its chances of reproduction.

Or may be because I sprayed too much cold water on them at the end, and it triggered an end of season event like seeds, in a last attempt to reproduce before winter. Something like that :)

Also, my sessions were all quite overcrowded, like SlowToke's. It's possible that proximity is also a factor.

Well, so many things to find, so little time ;-)

How rude of me SlowToke, to stop and engage in conversation without saying Good Morning :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

Haha, not a problem Sue. And thanks for responding to spacef! I've been stuck bed for the last three days with a bad cold, which is why I haven't posted an update for this week. I just haven't had the energy to take pictures and post. Starting to feel better now, so I'll try to get an update together.

Also, my sessions were all quite overcrowded, like SlowToke's. It's possible that proximity is also a factor.

Hey, I resemble that remark! But I prefer to think of them as comfortably snug. :laughtwo: I'm not sure that proximity is a factor, as the calxes that had me concerned were completely empty. I know there is a way to induce seed formation from a feminized plant, but I think it involves some chemical treatments. Colloidal silver, or something like that. Unless you have some males hanging around, or who have previously dropped some pollen. At any rate, mine are seed free for the time being, as far as I can tell.

I like your idea of using a close up lens to check trichs. Honestly, the cost of a good close up lens for my DSLR is holding me back a bit, but I have to agree that using a cheap handheld microscope sucks. Can you tell us what ration of cloudy to amber trichomes you look for when deciding when to harvest?

Thanks!

They won't survive indoors. We couldn't keep them alive through the winters here. Kept buying new every year. :laughtwo: After a while that felt indulgent and a bit irresponsible, so after the third year I stopped it. He switched gears to nepenthes. :laughtwo:

You and your botanical nomenclature! I had to google that one too. :laughtwo:

That Tropical Pitcher Plant is bizarre! :morenutes: I think I'll stick with my southern bog variety.

We spent about $40 total for our small water garden. I can guarantee we'll get many times that much pleasure out of it each year! :Namaste:

You got off easy with the $40. I used to budget $100/month when he was in buying phase. :laughtwo: You should have seen the Tillandsia collection we gave away one year.

I like your idea of using a close up lens to check trichs. Honestly, the cost of a good close up lens for my DSLR is holding me back a bit, but I have to agree that using a cheap handheld microscope sucks. Can you tell us what ration of cloudy to amber trichomes you look for when deciding when to harvest?
Thanks!

The price of those specialized macro lenses sure held me back for a while. Then I found out about Extension Tubes. The ones from big brands are expensive, but there are a lot of cheaper options that work very fine because, it is simply rings that put the lens away from the camera, reducing the distance to focus ! with the 3 rings I focus at 5 milimeters approximately.

They are as cheap as 20 bucks for plastic rings with no electronics, and between 69 and more with electronic (they allow to pass all the info from lens to cam, including auto-focus).
I got a 3 ring set at 69€with electronics, eventhough my focus is broken, but it is half the price of single ring of a big brand. The results are in fact above my expectations. The only difference with a pro focus ring is a loss of sharpness with all rings together, but it is visible at 100% zoom only, at 60/70% reduction it is very sharp, and it is enough for what we need (eventhough i would like to go even closer but that would be for the art, not for the control of trichomes).

Technically speaking, for the maximum sharpness, you must use f22, and as you see nothing anymore on the dslr screen, you must use a flash or flashlight to light the scene. If you are lucky enough to have a timelapse function, then you can set it every 6 or 8 seconds to keep you hand free and be creative with the angle of the light on the scene while the camera takes picture automatically = big relief ! especially if like me, your autofocus is dead so you must manually find the right distance for the focus (ie, moving plants and the cam by a few milimeters until you find the right fdistance... tripod compulsory in that case :)
Intervalometers do not always come cheap, but it's "ok"... i use magic lantern for canon though (it has timelapse if you canon cam does not have one)

The balance between white/amber is quite personal. The Purple and Blow Mind I collected that way were probably 50/50% or very close to that point.
When they are white, the high is less heavy, and it is more energetic in a way. It depends what you are looking for and it can be strain dependent - and if your body is used to it or not (totally white is great for occasional user, but will not be very strong on someone who is used to it, and that can be better - it can be a lifestyle choice or something like that :)

Generally speaking, the more amber, the heavier is the high, or the more amber, the more "couch-locker" is the effect. This must be balanced by the strains; they have different effects, and I found that this is not always related to the balance of amber/white. I mean, for sleeping problems, the autonight queen was white mostly, and the effect was not couch-lock..it rather made me think that going to bed was a great thing to do just now :D !! the california snow was also yound and is a great "sleeping pill". That's where it becomes a bit difficult, and may be it is good to stick to a few strains to become familiar with them.

I would advise between 30 and 50% for something that begins to be "mild/strong", while I would go only white for occasional user because he will probably want to feel the energy rather than the high.

At the same time, I like to have different types of white/amber balance, so I can find out what i prefer, which is something not totally clear to me yet, lol , it gives me choice too :)

PS: for the amber/white thing, I relied on the signature of the user "Spart" :)
70% Cloudy – 30% Amber: Uplifting High Effect
50% Cloudy – 50% Amber: Balanced Effect
30% Cloudy – 70% Amber: Stoned Effect

Day 128/Flip + 58

A belated update, due to illness. These pictures were taken on Monday, so we will use that date to calculate the total and days since flip. The colas are beginning to drag most of the stems down, so have had to add a bunch of stakes for added support. And the Blue Dream plants have started to show some fan leaf fade. I'm gonna' call that a good thing hopefully meaning we are getting closer to harvest for them. But still hardly any dried up pistils. I'm still thinking a couple weeks away.

Darkstar is looking ready for a holiday weekend chop, just in time for Shiggity's 4th of July group smoke in. I'll pull a leaf and check trichs before I chop, but I really want to pull the DS plants if it at all makes sense. I am liking the color the buds and sugar leaves are starting to take. They are really darkening up. Not the near black SweetSue gets with her awesome Dark Devil Autos, but more of a rich chocolate color. Interesting...

Critical Cure girls are just chugging along, slowly but surely adding trichomes. I'll probably give them at least another week.

Some pictures of the gang:

untitled-4478.jpg

The regular readers here will know that the foreground plants are Blue Dream, the far background pair are Darkstar and the middle rows on this side are Critical cure.

untitled-4474.jpg

untitled-4475.jpg

untitled-4477.jpg

untitled-4476.jpg

untitled-4479.jpg

This bud shot of one of the Darkstar girls shows the darker color being taken on by the sugar leaves. Nice and frosty, too. And early samplings are leading me to really enjoy the high, when taken in two hit moderation. With that amount of dosing, when I take a drive or walk somewhere, my perceptions have an extreme acuity that is very uplifting. A surge a visual creativity has me finding relationships of form and color that are almost intoxicating in their visual beauty. Keep in mind that am trained in visual arts, with many years honing my perceptions, so YMMV significantly on this, but I suspect the uplifting sense of well being and oneness with the environment is more universal. Good Stuff! But take a few more hits, and it's lights out. So dosing is key with the enjoyment of this one.

untitled-4488.jpg

Critical Cure. Haven't tried it yet. Still a little early. They are starting to frost up nicely.

untitled-4485.jpg

untitled-4482.jpg

And Blue Dream. Way too early to try, as the trichs are almost all clear. This strain looks to be the big producer of this grow.

untitled-4483.jpg

untitled-4484.jpg

Thanks for stopping by, and much appreciation for everyone's thoughts and comments! Y'all have a good one!

Back
Top Bottom