Sweet Yet Haunted Seedsman's Purple Ghost Candy Comparative

Because I said it in slang basically! Sorry! I'll try to not act as I've seen. It took me years to figure that for sure. I'm slow.
I think quite a few people on this site are pure genius.
The chart below I found I have to believe until proven otherwise. This is my first run with this stuff.
I like this chart. It's easier to read than the graph. Thanks

After your first run I will be ready with my first run and so I am counting on learning from your best practice :)
Today my light is set to 300 ppfd of PAR. I set the dial on the light until it read 300 on the phone running Photone. Then when I swiped left or right I chose the number of hours the light is on. Then I read DLI, and it's dead on to the what the charts say. So the meter app works that way.

With the number of hours set(18 or 12 for me) in the app you can use either the DLI or ppfd of PAR pages to adjust or watch the intensity of your light.

So if I'm in seedling stage I want to set my light somewhere between 100 and 300 ppfd of PAR. That will give you the proper DLI found on the chart below also.

I don't use both charts. They just back each other up with information from what I can tell. Well either or both, it doesn't matter. Pick one if it tickles your fancy and get used it.

cannabis plant:

Growth PhasePAR Level (PPFD)
Seedling / Clone100 – 300
Vegetative250 – 600
Bloom / Flowering500 – 1050

Growth PhasePhotoperiod (h)
Seedling / Clone16 – 24
Vegetative16 – 24
Bloom / Flowering10 – 13
Maturing10 – 14
I like this one.
Here’s your formula:

1. Note down the number of light hours.
Do you mean total available light hours, ie how many hours of power on?
  1. Note down the PPFD value
  2. Multiply the light hours by PPFD.
  3. Multiply the result by 3600.
Esoteric. Thank you for knowing why 3600 so I don't have to.
  1. Next, divide the result from step 4 by 100,000.
  2. The result is the DLI value in mol/m²/day.

We can’t give you the actual numbers you’ll need because they vary from grow to grow. An average set of numbers for an early veg plant would be something like

18 light hours (the amount of hours the light is on)

300 PPFD (this 300 PPFD is achieved on my light by running it at 25% and having it 28 inches from the plants. Or I could run it at 50% and have it at 42 inches above the plants)

This is where those light maps help, they tell you what the PPFD should be at different heights and intensities. We use a meter just to make sure. If our lights aren’t working properly or something is amiss those PPFD maps don’t mean much. However they’re a good starting point
Thanks Keffka. I'm taking notes. My brain will eventually put it together.
So using the calculator before hand to plot a course has great value and no math😊
Thank you. I am very glad there is a calculator that can help, whew!
As for your loadshedding woes, You are kind of stuck with what you have unless you can find a backup power source for your light.
I know but it is within my power to raise or lower light intensity isn't it? Or will that cause problems?

7 DAYS OLD PICS UPDATE! MAKES ME WEEK IN THE WEEDS!

Good day all! This little spookable's having a nice time making roots and shoots!
@SeedsMan made a fine work here! She's coming on strong!
Have a lookee!

A beautiful, and majestic seedling standing proud.
Thanks Gee! I hope to keep focus as we go! And that the grow Gods are kind! She's getting her feet rooted. Gave her first full water yesterday. I gotta go see how she did with it!
Looking forward to finding out how the plant did with a full watering.

Little ones above ground now and ready for a journal...

20240318_113129.jpg
20240318_113137.jpg
20240318_113145.jpg

7 DAYS OLD PICS UPDATE! MAKES ME WEEK IN THE WEEDS!
It's coming on strong, and you're definitely not weak in the weeds! :)
if I am overdoing the PPFD it's not going to tell me what settings to change to. I have to figure that out.
Right. Reading Otter's chart, the DLI charts that LKA and others have posted, and of course reading the plant as the final arbiter of what's too much.
I still need to know the actual optimal distance and settings.
There's no optimal for every plant, so the charts are a guide and the plant decides for itself.
If someone can give me the formula for working out how much PPFD I need at what distance and for how many hours to achieve the correct DLI I can try to figure it out on the calculator. I'd like to have the plan in place so that I know what height and brightness for how long beforehand, so that I'm not raising and lowering lights several times per day.
You don't need to raise and lower as long as you have a dimmer on the light.
it is within my power to raise or lower light intensity isn't it?
It is...you have the power!

I think quite a few people on this site are pure genius.

I like this chart. It's easier to read than the graph. Thanks

After your first run I will be ready with my first run and so I am counting on learning from your best practice :)

I like this one.

Do you mean total available light hours, ie how many hours of power on?

Esoteric. Thank you for knowing why 3600 so I don't have to.

Thanks Keffka. I'm taking notes. My brain will eventually put it together.

Thank you. I am very glad there is a calculator that can help, whew!

I know but it is within my power to raise or lower light intensity isn't it? Or will that cause problems?

You’re over thinking Carm. It happens, especially with something you can’t really see with your own eyes. 300 ppfd looks much the same as 500, red light much the same as blue. It took me a while to figure out light.

Total light hours is the total amount of hours the light is on for your plants during a 24 hour period. Or in the case of outdoors, the total amount of hours of sunlight a plant gets during a 24 hour period. Or in your words, the total amount of time the power is on, for your light, for a 24 hour period.

You don’t need to really know all of this stuff, nor do you need to know the formulas. They’re helpful but not if it’s going to confuse you. Between a DLI calculator and a light meter, or the photone app all the work is done for you.

Check this out:

This is the PAR meter, which is going to give you your PPFD reading of your light. It’s called a PAR meter because it’s measuring the light that the plant can use and not any of the light it cannot use. This measurement is given to us in the unit PPFD. Similar to how we say a TDS meter but the unit of measurement is ppm.

IMG_7760.png

That PPFD number it gives you is how much photosynthetic light is hitting your plants every second. That means the total amount of photons your plant can use for photosynthesis, every second. This number will give you an idea of how much usable light is hitting your plants at any one moment. You can use this to figure out how intense your light is.

However, it’s slightly redundant because Cannabis doesn’t care about what’s happening every second, it cares about what’s happening long term. Since it cares more about long term we use DLI. DLI tells how much usable light, long term, is hitting the plant.

This is the DLI

IMG_7764.png

If you look at the top it says 16 h. That stands for 16 hours. You can adjust that to however many hours your light is on for, hitting your plants. The number in the middle is the DLI itself. That number is how much light is hitting your plants during those lights on hours. Technically DLI covers a 24 hour time period but that’s unnecessary info currently.

If you get yourself a lux meter or some other sort of light measuring tool, you can just plug the results into the DLI calculator. If you use Photone or a few other growing monitors, they will give you the DLI without having to do anything other than set how many hours the light is on for.

You can find specific DLI numbers for almost every plant there is just by googling the plants name and DLI. Then all you have to do is use your meter, and make sure your numbers are matching up or are close

You’re over thinking Carm. It happens, especially with something you can’t really see with your own eyes. 300 ppfd looks much the same as 500, red light much the same as blue. It took me a while to figure out light.

Total light hours is the total amount of hours the light is on for your plants during a 24 hour period. Or in the case of outdoors, the total amount of hours of sunlight a plant gets during a 24 hour period. Or in your words, the total amount of time the power is on, for your light, for a 24 hour period.

You don’t need to really know all of this stuff, nor do you need to know the formulas. They’re helpful but not if it’s going to confuse you. Between a DLI calculator and a light meter, or the photone app all the work is done for you.

Check this out:

This is the PAR meter, which is going to give you your PPFD reading of your light. It’s called a PAR meter because it’s measuring the light that the plant can use and not any of the light it cannot use. This measurement is given to us in the unit PPFD. Similar to how we say a TDS meter but the unit of measurement is ppm.

IMG_7760.png

That PPFD number it gives you is how much photosynthetic light is hitting your plants every second. That means the total amount of photons your plant can use for photosynthesis, every second. This number will give you an idea of how much usable light is hitting your plants at any one moment. You can use this to figure out how intense your light is.

However, it’s slightly redundant because Cannabis doesn’t care about what’s happening every second, it cares about what’s happening long term. Since it cares more about long term we use DLI. DLI tells how much usable light, long term, is hitting the plant.

This is the DLI

IMG_7764.png

If you look at the top it says 16 h. That stands for 16 hours. You can adjust that to however many hours your light is on for, hitting your plants. The number in the middle is the DLI itself. That number is how much light is hitting your plants during those lights on hours. Technically DLI covers a 24 hour time period but that’s unnecessary info currently.

If you get yourself a lux meter or some other sort of light measuring tool, you can just plug the results into the DLI calculator. If you use Photone or a few other growing monitors, they will give you the DLI without having to do anything other than set how many hours the light is on for.

You can find specific DLI numbers for almost every plant there is just by googling the plants name and DLI. Then all you have to do is use your meter, and make sure your numbers are matching up or are close

Cont.

Since PPFD is the amount of light hitting your plants, and DLI is the amount of light hitting your plants over 24 hours, you can control both of these in different ways.

To increase your PPFD you can move your lights closer to your plants (or plants closer to your lights). Or, if your light has a dimmer switch that controls the intensity you can increase the dimmer switch to a higher power. Both of these will increase the PPFD (usable light) hitting your plants.

Since DLI is the amount of light hitting your plant over 24 hours, increasing the PPFD will increase the DLI, as long as the amount of time your lights are on is the same. If you increase the PPFD but turn your lights off earlier you could have no change in your DLI or even have a lower DLI depending on how many hours less you choose.

This is why a lot of growers bring their lights in closer during flower. The light is on for less time so they need to make that up by having the intensity (or PPFD) higher.

Carmen is growing autos so she doesn't need to modify her light hours for flower.

It was an example showing how you can maintain or increase your DLI by increasing your PPFD further even though your lights are on less

They've put those charts together using calibrated quality meters so that should be your reference point.
Understood. I blindly followed the recommended PPFD map without considering that autos require different light intensity and hours from photoperiod plants. Now that I look at the charts, they are making more sense. Maybe I need to print and laminate!
You don't need to raise and lower as long as you have a dimmer on the light.
Oh. Right. Thank you! :bigblush:
You’re over thinking Carm.
I think you might be right Keffka.
Since DLI is the amount of light hitting your plant over 24 hours, increasing the PPFD will increase the DLI, as long as the amount of time your lights are on is the same. If you increase the PPFD but turn your lights off earlier you could have no change in your DLI or even have a lower DLI depending on how many hours less you choose.
Can I increase the ppfd without harming the plant or is it going to get light stress at some point? I'm thinking about what Gee said about the roots not being developed enough to feed the plant sufficient for it to photosynthesize under too much light. Oh I have just read this information again and realized that they don't recommend going above a 500 to 700 ppfd for auto plants. Thinking more is better, I was giving mine over 1000 ppfd in flower.

It looks like the DLI is going to be limited by the amount of PPFD I can feed my plants within the total light hours available to me.
It was an example showing how you can maintain or increase your DLI by increasing your PPFD further even though your lights are on less
I was growing with my lights on full for as long as we were given in a 24 hour period. I now see that I have been overdoing it. I'm interested in punching some theoretical numbers into one of the calculators that Gee described. How would I describe that thing to Google?

cannabis plant:

This is what we need to know about DLI growing as far as I can tell. We'll tweak a little as we go maybe.
The two charts coincide with each other.
Reaching a goal in one chart will give you the result in the same phase of the other ie: A veg ppfd of let's say 500 was the goal and achieved with the Photone app. If you swipe to the left or right, whatever, the meter will read between 16 and 24 representing that there. That will be true if we do the math any other way as well. IT is the guide to tell me how much light to use.
I choose to use this way because it's simple. I don't have to know anything else and I don't. :thumb:

Here's my process.

Scratching head, ok how much light will I need to be in DLI parameters?

I'm in seedling stage so I'll pick Seedling/Clone from the chart. I'll choose the first chart and work in ppfd of PAR. I know I like strongish light for my seedlings so I choose full throttle! 300 ppfd of PAR.

So I set my phone at canopy height and see what it reads, then since I have a light with a knob to adjust I turn it until it reads 300 on the app. Done. Otherwise raise or lower the light for the 300 on the app.

That's the entry level, the level I'm comfortable with. It should grow happy plants or put them close enough where a small adjustment can take care of any problem. There's much more we can learn but later I think for me. Too much and I lose what I may have had. I'm not one of the geniuses you spoke of but I like/need to stay close to them! :green_heart: They're here and I appreciate them! :circle-of-love:

Growth PhasePAR Level (PPFD)
Seedling / Clone100 – 300
Vegetative250 – 600
Bloom / Flowering500 – 1050
Growth PhasePhotoperiod (h)
Seedling / Clone16 – 24
Vegetative16 – 24
Bloom / Flowering10 – 13
Maturing10 – 14

Choo Chooooo! 🚂

Back
Top Bottom