Sweet Yet Haunted Seedsman's Purple Ghost Candy Comparative

Well hello there!!!! Care if I jump in here and follow along? Looks like another amazing grow-not that I would expect any less! Btw hi @Lerugged and @LKABudMan-happy to see those names on your page Stone! So many wonderful people here I've missed-especially you and your never failing sensational grows!

Be careful with DLI/PPFD, and grab a coffee.

Don't follow a dli charts blindly, or you may end up with issues. Here is what I mean by that.

Every plant has the ability to use more or less light than all the other plants. Light must be combined with other nutrients and catalysts inside the plant to be used (photosynthesized).

If the roots aren't capable of supplying enough nutes/water to match the amount of light going in, you get a deficiency. The plant will try to convert light to sugar faster than the supply chain can deliver the parts.

This causes great stress to a plant and likely a mag def will start to show. Mag usually goes 1st in soil.

So you must set your maximum dli to cater to your weakest plant, not the strongest. The chart doesn't tell you that part, it assumes your plant health is optimal.

If the plant can't photosynthsize fast enough to use all the light, it results in light absorbed but not used. Unused light raises plant temps and heat stress occurs.

Incorrect plant temps also causes transpiration issues and that compounds the entire problem, making things worse not better.

Any stress caused by light is a sure fire recipe for hermaphrodism. The short version... Too much light = hermies.

So watch your plants. 2 identical clones from the same mother in equal pots can require different ppfd/dli's simply because one may have the root system to move more water.

So when it comes to light you need to watch your VPD. If you dial VPD in properly, your DLI will automatically be set correctly. If your VPD is wrong, then you won't be driving your plant at the correct speed for the amount of light being given.

You need to ensure that both the roots and environment are capable of handling the amount of light being thrown at the plant.

The environment is what controls uptake, and uptake needs to match dli/ppfd. It's a circle and every time you do a lap you can raise the ppfd a little.

So you set your environment, which grows more roots, which allows a higher ppfd, which allows a raise in VPD, which grows the roots bigger, which allows a higher PPFD, which allows you to raise VPD.... rinse and repeat. The weekly chart increases assume you are doing this. If you aren't then there is a good chance your plant isn't optimal, so the chart becomes useless, and possibly a hazard.

It needs to be done in small increments, not all at once. The DLI charts are just general ballpark ranges.

VPD regulates stomata, stomata regulates transpiration, transpiration must match light intensity, and roots must be able to keep up to transpiration.

This is the reason a seedling can't handle 1000ppfd. It simply doesn't have the roots to supply that rate of photosynthesis.

Even if your soil is spot on, you will see a deficiency if the plant can't move the nutes in quick enough.

But free seeds are cool too. At least they will be feminized.

So I'm not trying to scare anyone, just understand what needs to be done before increasing light intensity, the plant needs to be prepped for it ahead of time.

A plant with excellent roots and a half-assed dli will give you a better harvest than a plant with half-assed roots that matches the dli chart perfectly.
Thanks for all that Gee! It's a cup of tea today to help ponder. You may know I've turned to DLI to help just what you described. I tried soil fixed and as you say the second test the other day, it wasn't bad. Light/root connection makes a lot of sense and this grow will be aimed at looking at, and correcting that. I'll be looking for your support from time to time I'm sure. First we root!
I would presume this Dli is for inside controlled grows ?
Technically yes far as I can see.
Well hello there!!!! Care if I jump in here and follow along? Looks like another amazing grow-not that I would expect any less! Btw hi @Lerugged and @LKABudMan-happy to see those names on your page Stone! So many wonderful people here I've missed-especially you and your never failing sensational grows!
Hi Krissi! Love having you on board! You start up yet?

Hi Krissi! Love having you on board! You start up yet?
Hi there old friend!!! You know I always loooove your grows! And yes, I have some tiny babies in my new journal, 1st days above ground between Saturday and Tuesday :)
Yaay!

Your man printing is giving me life! I swear it looks just like my man’s man printing.

IMG_3775.jpeg

Me writing a list: writes list. Rewrites list 17 times, 4 pen changes to find the right one, margins aligned, letters equal size, takes approx 78 minutes

My man writing a list: writes list, goes on with his life

Lolling!

A diffuser is only needed on iphones, not androids.

Interesting, any idea why this is?

I do know that the app comes automatically calibrated to every iPhone I’ve used and has been pretty accurate without anything beyond the diffuser

Don't follow a dli charts blindly, or you may end up with issues. Here is what I mean by that.

Every plant has the ability to use more or less light than all the other plants. Light must be combined with other nutrients and catalysts inside the plant to be used (photosynthesized).

If the roots aren't capable of supplying enough nutes/water to match the amount of light going in, you get a deficiency. The plant will try to convert light to sugar faster than the supply chain can deliver the parts.

This causes great stress to a plant and likely a mag def will start to show. Mag usually goes 1st in soil.

So you must set your maximum dli to cater to your weakest plant, not the strongest. The chart doesn't tell you that part, it assumes your plant health is optimal.

If the plant can't photosynthsize fast enough to use all the light, it results in light absorbed but not used. Unused light raises plant temps and heat stress occurs.

Incorrect plant temps also causes transpiration issues and that compounds the entire problem, making things worse not better.

Any stress caused by light is a sure fire recipe for hermaphrodism. The short version... Too much light = hermies.

So watch your plants. 2 identical clones from the same mother in equal pots can require different ppfd/dli's simply because one may have the root system to move more water.

So when it comes to light you need to watch your VPD. If you dial VPD in properly, your DLI will automatically be set correctly. If your VPD is wrong, then you won't be driving your plant at the correct speed for the amount of light being given.

You need to ensure that both the roots and environment are capable of handling the amount of light being thrown at the plant.

The environment is what controls uptake, and uptake needs to match dli/ppfd. It's a circle and every time you do a lap you can raise the ppfd a little.

So you set your environment, which grows more roots, which allows a higher ppfd, which allows a raise in VPD, which grows the roots bigger, which allows a higher PPFD, which allows you to raise VPD.... rinse and repeat. The weekly chart increases assume you are doing this. If you aren't then there is a good chance your plant isn't optimal, so the chart becomes useless, and possibly a hazard.

It needs to be done in small increments, not all at once. The DLI charts are just general ballpark ranges.

VPD regulates stomata, stomata regulates transpiration, transpiration must match light intensity, and roots must be able to keep up to transpiration.

This is the reason a seedling can't handle 1000ppfd. It simply doesn't have the roots to supply that rate of photosynthesis.

Even if your soil is spot on, you will see a deficiency if the plant can't move the nutes in quick enough.

So I'm not trying to scare anyone, just understand what needs to be done before increasing light intensity, the plant needs to be prepped for it ahead of time.

A plant with excellent roots and a half-assed dli will give you a better harvest than a plant with half-assed roots that matches the dli chart perfectly.
Thank you so much for this post. I’ve read and re read so much on this topic the last couple of weeks and reading your post it just clicked for me. So nutes>vpd>dli>sweet sticky budage got it!

:lot-o-toke: :Rasta:

Thank you so much for this post. I’ve read and re read so much on this topic the last couple of weeks and reading your post it just clicked for me. So nutes>vpd>dli>sweet sticky budage got it!

:lot-o-toke: :Rasta:
This has helped me with my buds. I found out about the VPD and DLI first of 22 and Its been a game changer with growing anything :D

This Post has some great material for anyone wanting to touch up on DLI /Light Requirements for sure.

Hi there old friend!!! You know I always loooove your grows! And yes, I have some tiny babies in my new journal, 1st days above ground between Saturday and Tuesday :)
Yaay!
Alrighty! I'll have a look.
Your man printing is giving me life! I swear it looks just like my man’s man printing.

IMG_3775.jpeg

Me writing a list: writes list. Rewrites list 17 times, 4 pen changes to find the right one, margins aligned, letters equal size, takes approx 78 minutes

My man writing a list: writes list, goes on with his life

Lolling!
Trade school.
Git it done! :D
You know, i like to be neat and proper but that's just not always available. I'd have to channel every cell in my body to stop what it's doing to do it! They won't cooperate most days.
Journal starting soon...

20240314_182625.jpg
20240314_183516.jpg
Bring them babies in! And let us know!

Thanks , I guess its something i want have to worry about right now .
Mother Nature does the math for us outside. I did see in The Rev's new book that some will make some shade if there's just way too much sun. I'd expect Arizona and places like that. Yeah, stay stonder, @Fredwak shades his grow from the brutal desert sun if I remember right.

Mother Nature does the math for us outside. I did see in The Rev's new book that some will make some shade if there's just way too much sun. I'd expect Arizona and places like that. Yeah, stay stonder, @Fredwak shades his grow from the brutal desert sun if I remember right.
Mother Nature used to be mellow. Now, thanks to us advanced apes, she's gone bat-shit crazy! I'll wager that outdoor grows are going to become more difficult as the years pass.

Mother Nature used to be mellow. Now, thanks to us advanced apes, she's gone bat-shit crazy! I'll wager that outdoor grows are going to become more difficult as the years pass.
You're right! It's getting better for some and worse for others. I think my area's been getting better in some ways. We can plant 2 to 3 weeks earlier than when I was a kid for a lot of things I'm hearing. Also, when my weed needs to go into October, it's uncomfortable but they survive now. As long as I can mitigate bud rot they're good to go.
On the other hand I see flooding and houses washing into the sea more every year just 5 miles away. Shed's seeing more rain maybe and high rh on his side I think. Folks in the middle are getting burned out so they can't grow at all. We have to shield ourselves from the sun more than ever or get cancer. It's going on today.
We're part of it, and need to be proactive about the future but I think Mother Nature had a plan for her realm all along as well. How bout Jagger singing the lyrics to Monkey Man. You did this to me!:D

What are you having a problem with?

DLI is the total amount of usable light your plant receives for the day.

If you bring your lights closer or turn them to a higher power setting you increase your DLI. If you let your lights run for longer you increase your DLI.
It's the practicalities of this that I'm grappling with. We have what is called "loadshedding" in South Africa. That is because our government owned power supplier is unable to generate sufficient electricity for the country and so they share it out by area and we are without power for between 2.5 to over 12 hours a day every day. This is usually for between 2.5 to 5 hour slots of no power.
This is an extremely basic explanation of it. There is math and fancy words to describe it in more detail but Daily Light Integral is just the total amount of usable light your plant gets over a 24 hour period

Fire away with any questions or if you need clarification
Thank you! I don't want to clutter Otter's journal with my loadshedding issues, but I do need the help.
I did not do maths in highschool. You can't imagine how difficult it is to try maths if you haven't learnt it. Adding to the confusion is that some people quote PAR and others PPFD :)
Perfect! We'll both see how this grow goes and the numbers that I/we use in it! I started a grow once using DLI as a guide but got sidetracked. Maybe the app wasn't as good as it is now I'm hoping. Myself included, I didn't give the whole concept a real try. For instance, to get DLI just swipe left! I just got that! I was going to the net to charts!
So far since I like my seedlings under a strong light I choose the upper range of DLI for them at 20. That's 300 PAR for 18 hours. This is fun!
I believe in you Otter, you will find the way. Are you working in PAR throughout the grow? What PPFD is equal to 300 PAR someone please?
ya see, now here is PPFD again :)
Ok! I think I may have been giving my plants too much light. That would also explain deficiencies wouldn't it?

This!
This!

Gee Man it's not possible for me to control my VPD in my living room.

Given the loadshedding shituation and the fact that I grow my weed on my living room table in LOS, what is your suggestion to me regarding DLI and PPFD / PAR please? Shed and I chatted in my last journal about exactly this and here's what we concluded at the time.
:thumb:

And?

Indeed I do. If your lights will only be on for 12 hours one day then the plants might be able to handle a higher PPFD for that shorter amount of time - if will help them hit the DLI for that day.
So now I need to figure out how much PPFD / PAR at what stage of growth and for how many hours per day, given the loadshedding complications in the mix, but as I say, I don't want to clutter Otter's journal unless this is of interest to others. We could shift this discussion to my last journal if it is too much?
Understood, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom