Sweet Yet Haunted Seedsman's Purple Ghost Candy Comparative

SOMETHING NEW UPDATE THEN A PIC OR TWO OF THIS LITTLE ONE.

Hi all Happy Sunday!

I'm up from the rabbit hole with something new to me that might be of interest to outdoor growers that get aphids. @InTheShed comes to mind. Have you heard of something called Tanglefoot? The Rev of True Living Organics wrote a short thing on it I thought positive! An organic layer of anti aphid technology in a jar is what I know. You paint the main stalk with it and ants won't like climbing over it to farm their favorite meal, aphids! That's the rumor.
Here's the link to the article. Letters to Rev – Weird Cannabis Growing Problems | Skunk Global

While we're here, another full water happened. A full leaf popped this time! Sweet!

@SeedsMan Purple Ghost Candy for the win!

PGC is a grow-er and a show-er! :cheer:
Have you heard of something called Tanglefoot?
I have and it's supposed to work pretty well with crawling insects and plants with nothing touching the ground (or other trees!). It looks like it's supposed to go on paper wrapped around the tree, but the paper has to sit absolutely flat to the trunk (unlike the pine tree pic on Amazon) because the ants will just crawl under the paper.

Also some reviewers found that it was runny and ran down onto the bark and damaged it, so keep that in mind.

The most simple solution I've found to keep ants and all the critters they 'farm' off plants and trees is a 3 cm wide layer of Vaseline with pyrol or citronella or borax mixed into it smeared around the trunk. They don't walk over it or can't walk over it.
You need to redo it every few months but it definitely works for ants and crawlies. Not for anything that flies.
Nice baby MrO .

The most simple solution I've found to keep ants and all the critters they 'farm' off plants and trees is a 3 cm wide layer of Vaseline smeared around the trunk. They don't walk over it or can't walk over it.
You need to redo it every few months but it definitely works for ants and crawlies. Not for anything that flies.
Nice baby MrO .
Agreed. I put it at the bottom of my shepherd hooks that my hummingbird feeders hang from, and it keeps the ants from getting up to the feeders. This works for the ones that have other bird feeders to keep squirrels off too. They just slide back down the pole. LOL

PGC is a grow-er and a show-er! :cheer:

I have and it's supposed to work pretty well with crawling insects and plants with nothing touching the ground (or other trees!). It looks like it's supposed to go on paper wrapped around the tree, but the paper has to sit absolutely flat to the trunk (unlike the pine tree pic on Amazon) because the ants will just crawl under the paper.

Also some reviewers found that it was runny and ran down onto the bark and damaged it, so keep that in mind.
Ants are farmers to interrupt! Another note on this product was not to use it on very young trees. We'd have to be careful when to apply it in their cycle.
The most simple solution I've found to keep ants and all the critters they 'farm' off plants and trees is a 3 cm wide layer of Vaseline with pyrol or citronella or borax mixed into it smeared around the trunk. They don't walk over it or can't walk over it.
Nice baby MrO .
We went with that for a tent caterpillar infestation in the 80's! The world was crawling with them then!
Agreed. I put it at the bottom of my shepherd hooks that my hummingbird feeders hang from, and it keeps the ants from getting up to the feeders. This works for the ones that have other bird feeders to keep squirrels off too. They just slide back down the pole. LOL
I usually don't get jollies from animals frustrations but squirrels are different for some reason. Oh it's the buckets of birdseed they get. I can see a frantic one madly slipping down the pole as it aims for the cache of sunflower seeds like a cartoon! Cue the Looney Toons effects!

Ants are farmers to interrupt! Another note on this product was not to use it on very young trees. We'd have to be careful when to apply it in their cycle.

We went with that for a tent caterpillar infestation in the 80's! The world was crawling with them then!

I usually don't get jollies from animals frustrations but squirrels are different for some reason. Oh it's the buckets of birdseed they get. I can see a frantic one madly slipping down the pole as it aims for the cache of sunflower seeds like a cartoon! Cue the Looney Toons effects!
The squirrels are funny to watch. They have plenty of food available around here with acorns and such, the bird feeders are a luxury they don't need. They hate getting that vaseline on their hands.

I was going to mention the caterpillar infestation that took place here 5 years ago. It was absolutely horrible, raining bits of leaves and caterpillar poop all day long. Those creatures were everywhere and the birds wouldn't eat them. There are still remnants of them during the summer, but nothing like that first year.
We resorted to the vaseline around the trees, it helped....but when it got hot it made a mess.

The squirrels are funny to watch. They have plenty of food available around here with acorns and such, the bird feeders are a luxury they don't need. They hate getting that vaseline on their hands.

I was going to mention the caterpillar infestation that took place here 5 years ago. It was absolutely horrible, raining bits of leaves and caterpillar poop all day long. Those creatures were everywhere and the birds wouldn't eat them. There are still remnants of them during the summer, but nothing like that first year.
We resorted to the vaseline around the trees, it helped....but when it got hot it made a mess.
That poop came down like rain all summer! Couldn't sit under a tree without an umbrella! Mother Nature go figure sometimes.

That poop came down like rain all summer! Couldn't sit under a tree without an umbrella! Mother Nature go figure sometimes.
free worm castings bonus

Watch out this year for the massive cicada influx. There's two different species that are having their (edit) 17 and 13 year cycle together, effectively doubling the usual number of these pests.

ICK!

Double GROSS!!

We are in the zone. :) I admit to mostly loving it. :love::)
I thought they only come out of the ground to mate and drop eggs for the next generation 13 &17 year brood. Prior to them coming out, the mole population explodes, and the birds should have an easy time feeding their young too this spring and summer. :hmmmm::):bong:

I thought they only come out of the ground to mate and drop eggs for the next generation 13 &17 year brood. Prior to them coming out, the mole population explodes, and the birds should have an easy time feeding their young too this spring and summer. :hmmmm::):bong:
:cough:o_O:eek:😖🥴🤢🤮💩

Watch out this year for the massive cicada influx. There's two different species that are having their (edit) 17 and 13 year cycle together, effectively doubling the usual number of these pests.

ICK!

Double GROSS!!
I'm so excited about the cicada's!!! Words can't express my excitement of this emerging of the 2 different cicada's ❤️❤️❤️❤️

free worm castings bonus
Fact! Every inch of ground got a treat that year! Always look at the bright side of life!🎶
You plant pot around here and the praying Mantis come they don't seem to bother the plants ,i guess they eat bugs ( Eats: Insects, Beetles, Crickets, Lepidoptera, Blattodea ) Yeah They scare the shit out of you when you reach in and there is one 5-6 " long wanting to know What U Want lol
Hehe, we don't get many here. I see one or two maybe a season. 3 or 4 inches here. Some get pretty big!

ICK!

Double GROSS!!
I hear it's going to be something! That pissy thing is new to me though! Yeah Gross!
Oh good! At least the food chain can take advantage of them as I can understand it better that pillars pooping from a tree to nurish the ground.
I'm so excited about the cicada's!!! Words can't express my excitement of this emerging of the 2 different cicada's ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Tell me more Jiggi. How do you plan to experience them?
Omg they go off in my backyard!
Gonna bee a banner year for us with 2 species that wouldn't normally hatch in the same year, hatching together! Someone industrious can make out with this, this summer! Bug tourism? Ha! Here's a little funny from the past! We had a tv in the lunchroom at work. The guys used to bust my balls if I had the remote. They'd say, someone grab the remote from Otter, all he wants to watch is bugs fucking! I was a natural history fan with no interest in sports. We had fun! Bugs...Gotta love em! Loud summer coming up!

Back
Top Bottom