Sweet Yet Haunted Seedsman's Purple Ghost Candy Comparative

Gee, what's your opinion on scarification, yeah or nay? šŸ§
I don't do it, but I hear it works. I've never tried it. Usually 9 out of 10 pop in soil it seems. Quite often 10 out of 10.

I don't presoak either, just out of the package and into the soil. Try not to touch them. I use a wet knife to stick a seed in the pack and plop it into the soil.

Do that, plant at 3/8" deep, use a heat mat set to 78 with a ziplock bag humidity dome over the soil where the seed is, or use a domed tray, drip a few drips of water on the seed spot twice a day, and in 3-4 days they should all be up.

By natures standards this is a good rain followed by a warm sun. It triggers them.

If you are in good used soil you know that calcium is good so air in the soil is plentiful. That air is 78% nitrogen and babies need it, so your nitrogen fixers get established immediately.

The higher phosphorus content from the used soil also allows myco to establish a phosphorus supply chain early in the plants life. This will benefit the plant over it's entire life.

You now have N and P covered in the 1st 10 days. Coco and kelp in the used soil, with old used greensand covers K perfectly.

Used soil also has all your traces and it's balanced.

It creates a low stress environment for a baby plant, and makes life really easy for myco. They will grow quickly.

Have the sun ready when they sprout, thats what they are looking for.

Tax day for me too yesterday. A late Zooting as well here.
You guys don't zoot and do your taxes?

You guys get paid meme.jpg

I don't do it, but I hear it works. I've never tried it. Usually 9 out of 10 pop in soil it seems. Quite often 10 out of 10.

I don't presoak either, just out of the package and into the soil. Try not to touch them. I use a wet knife to stick a seed in the pack and plop it into the soil.

Do that, plant at 3/8" deep, use a heat mat set to 78 with a ziplock bag humidity dome over the soil where the seed is, or use a domed tray, drip a few drips of water on the seed spot twice a day, and in 3-4 days they should all be up.

By natures standards this is a good rain followed by a warm sun. It triggers them.

If you are in good used soil you know that calcium is good so air in the soil is plentiful. That air is 78% nitrogen and babies need it, so your nitrogen fixers get established immediately.

The higher phosphorus content from the used soil also allows myco to establish a phosphorus supply chain early in the plants life. This will benefit the plant over it's entire life.

You now have N and P covered in the 1st 10 days. Coco and kelp in the used soil, with old used greensand covers K perfectly.

It creates a low stress environment for a baby plant, and makes life really easy for myco. They will grow quickly.

I wonā€™t touch a seed if Iā€™ve recently used hand sanitizer, or if Iā€™ve been cleaning with bleach or vinegar. Otherwise, I will touch them with my bare hands. My logic is, my hands have many beneficial bacteria on them protecting me from infections.

However I wonā€™t handle it unless I have to. I typically pour it out of the bag into a beaker of myco, then use a spoon or just tip the beaker into the soil.

Oh I think the scarification is neat, I've never done it, I just read about that somewhere, they do something similar to ovas in women. Sometimes the outer shell is to hard, for whatever reason, and in order to get action it must have a little scratch to weaken the shields..."fire again!! šŸ’„ Pew pew
I think it's cool, I don't consider it on the same lines as playing God. It's a good thing.

..and that's where babies come from...šŸ’š

Well that got my 9th grade ed. cooking ! Thanks for the info I got alot of it and understand what I need to know .

If there is anything anyone would like explained differently or doesnā€™t understand, please ask away. This is all growing related obviously, and between @Gee64 and myself, weā€™ve come up with quite a few analogies. Gees are much more eloquent though lol.

Hi Gee64 when you drop your seed straight into soil do you put the pointy end of the seed facing down or do you find it don't make any diffrence?

Hi Gee64 when you drop your seed straight into soil do you put the pointy end of the seed facing down or do you find it don't make any diffrence?

It doesnā€™t matter, the plant can orient itself by detecting gravity. It will always know which way is up.

Scarification is probably best used on older seeds whose seed coats have dried out making moisture absorption more difficult. It is this absorption that causes the seed to swell and break open, kicking off the germination process.

Sometimes older seeds just need a little help.

Scarification is probably best used on older seeds whose seed coats have dried out making moisture absorption more difficult. It is this absorption that causes the seed to swell and break open, kicking off the germination process.

Sometimes older seeds just need a little help.

That sounds like what I read the logic being. It makes sense. If youā€™re already struggling to germinate a set of seeds, youā€™re probably not going to do much more damage than is already done.

I have tried pointy end up, pointy, end down, and on their side and really dont find much difference.

Unless you have an upside down root baby....šŸ˜‡šŸ‘ (Root breeched)
i had one come up like that this current grow in a solo cup, forget what plant it was but carefully dug it up & flipped it & grew properly, i just hate transplanting autos so probably try just dropping a ungermed seed & see how it goes (probably try it with my outdoor lake grow this summer)
I have tried pointy end up, pointy, end down, and on their side and really dont find much difference.
thanks i think i'll try this method my next grow was also thinking maybe one of those rockwool cubes have you or anyone try that & then into soil?

Sounds like I was as a younger man, when I was out there! šŸ˜

Holy snip stone!! When you said chopped her head off..that's like being cut in half!! Hahahahha
Hi Jiggi, I wanted to make a statement! Actually I was waiting for this one to feel healthy and she got a good size! Now there's some good size to the leaves left collecting light.
Yeah, last year I got zooted before doing my taxes. I suspected I had messed up when at the end I was due a 2 million dollar refund. :straightface:
Oh man! Zoot me not till it's over! :cheesygrinsmiley:
Nice new avatar look!
To simplify everything Keff is dropping, think of that bacteria this way.... It's to the seed as Mother's Milk is to us. Don't spill the milk.

Used soil sets the perfect environment for that Mothers Milk to do it's job, which is to get things set up for myco to run, in 10 days or less.

New soil can slow the process.

That seed needs either the soil to feed it, or us with synthetics, in 10 days or less, or the nutes that came in the seed and cotyledons will be gone.

Quite often, using direct sow into used soil, at harvest the healthy cotyledons are still on the plant. The plant never needed to rob them.

If your solo cup gets innoculated properly, then when you uppot, the roots growing into the uppot bring that properly innoculated rhizosphere with them.

If your solo never got properly innoculated, then the plant can't spread proper innoculation, and the grow may never be stellar.

So if you pop seeds in paper towel, cut the seed from the towel and plant a small piece of towel from the germination site with the seed, but direct sow is still better. You will get to high brix quicker.

So now there's the seed soak. Some soak for 12-24 hours. If that water has H2O2 or chlorine in it, the microbes on the outside of the seed are sterilized, and if it cracks then you spoil the milk.

If the water is pure, and you insist on soaking, then paper towelling, then planting, only use a small amount of water for the soak, like a tablespoon max, then use that water to soak a small bit of paper towel, like dime sized, put your seed in that paper towel, and when it pops plant it all with the towel bit around the tap root.

Take the Mothers Milk with you.

But direct sow in organics is still better when it comes to overall plant health on average.

My preferred way is direct sow into final containers, and put your effort into proper watering instead of uppotting.

And as an added bonus tip, if you use good used soil for planting clones, innoculation makes for way better transition upon 1st planting.

A good example is the cloning tutorial in my signature. Used soil was mixed into that pot. Probably at least 20%, but likely 1/3 used, 1/3 new, and 1/3 EWC, then perlite and coco added to get the consistency I like.

That clone grew the 1st day it was potted, and every day thereafter.
You and Keff have me! As of next runs I'll go in dirt to start em. I love science!
You guys don't zoot and do your taxes?

You guys get paid meme.jpg
I don't even think about getting near the Zoot zone when I think of doing taxes! To Zoot before doing the un understandable is nutz!

Unless you have an upside down root baby....šŸ˜‡šŸ‘ (Root breeched)

Iā€™ve never seen this or heard of it happening in plants, there is also no information about it either. If it has occurred itā€™s either genetically inferior because it canā€™t do the one thing all plants do, and sense gravity. Or whatā€™s most likely is the human screwed up in a small container. Whether they planted too shallow, messed with the container, etc.

The only instance I can find is related to someone sprouting cannabis in a plug, but the plugs were tilted and angled which tells me someone messed with the plugs while seeded so, ā€œhuman screwed up in a small containerā€

Iā€™ve never seen this or heard of it happening in plants, there is also no information about it either. If it has occurred itā€™s either genetically inferior because it canā€™t do the one thing all plants do, and sense gravity. Or whatā€™s most likely is the human screwed up in a small container. Whether they planted too shallow, messed with the container, etc.

The only instance I can find is related to someone sprouting cannabis in a plug, but the plugs were tilted and angled which tells me someone messed with the plugs while seeded so, ā€œhuman screwed up in a small containerā€
I see it in rapid rooters and artificial substrates. The tap can't push the substrate out of the way to rotate, so it pushes itself up and out trying to turn.

In soil, the soil just moves out of the way and the sprout rotates and pops up, if you got your planting depth correct. Too shallow and it may still rotate up and out.

i had one come up like that this current grow in a solo cup, forget what plant it was but carefully dug it up & flipped it & grew properly

Did you happen to take any pictures of it, or was it one of those ā€œoh crap gotta fix thatā€ moments?

No I haven't experienced this either, I read it happening in someone's post somewhere, I've had them pop outta the soil root n all and ya just tuck em back in.

Back
Top Bottom