The Joy Of Growing - SweetSue Goes Perpetual

its for mixing small amounts of the foliar sprays in Doc Bud's High Brix Kit. When you have a few plants you don't need to mix more than a few ounces. :)

So I now have a lifetime supply. :laughtwo:

Just a note to encourage voting in the monthly contests. We have a neck-to-neck going in Plant Of The Month. Could use more votes to keep it interesting.

I bumped these over from 36Gr0w's thread. The man's on the same relentless search for understanding I am.

Discussion on organic cannabis cultivation

Jeff Lowenfels and Jorge discuss growing cannabis organically.

That first panel mostly coveed what we have discussed - but with emphasis on a key fact: People have an unreasonably large amount of knowledge about salt fertilizer technology: the information of the green revolution, but people also have an almost total ignorance of how nature provides nutrition to plants.

Most gardners have no idea how nature feeds a plant,

I know Rad, and it gets crazy when you have to defend nature. These little earthlings have evolved to do this very valuable thing to benefit us and we have to defend it. Crazy. It's insane that we've allowed ourselves to get so far removed from the process that people don't know how to do something as simple as feed the soil.

I haven't watched the second one yet. Hoping to get that in tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/z0ZNvJIcRSs

Worth the listen. Think I'll order Jeff's book today.

I'll have to listen again tomorrow. I fell asleep somewhere in there and missed some. Maybe it's time for bed now, eh? :laughtwo:

Goodnight all. :love:

The pension money just hit the bank. WooHoo! Now I can get the rest of my shelving and lights. :yahoo:

Today, I'm finally ordering my copy of "Teaming With Microbes". I am crazy excited about that. We're such soil nerds! :laughtwo::green_heart:

Daily Update: Dark Devil Auto - Day 69

Topped off the SWICK and raised the HB kit pots off the perlite to dry out. Gave the Dark Devil a 1/4 turn.

She's still pushing out lots of new pistils. That's just fine with me. I'm in no rush to harvest. I'm hoping for another ten days to two weeks closer to the light.

image26135.jpg

image26136.jpg

image26137.jpg

She has the most fascinating way of stacking her blossoms. She's exploding in three dimensions, shooting off in all directions. :laughtwo:

image26138.jpg

image26139.jpg

image26140.jpg

Here's a nice group shot of the class.

image26141.jpg

No movement to the seeds. This is starting to exasperate me a bit. Trying my best to be patient.

image26142.jpg

image26143.jpg

image26144.jpg

All's well in the tent.

image26145.jpg

Time to crank it up another gear. I love shopping for garden supplies. A major part of my joy today will revolve around that admission. :laughtwo::green_heart:

It looks to be a splendid day and weekend. Fill your day with joyful expressions and watch people gravitate to you. Unless you want a day as a hermit - which I'm partial to myself from time to time - in which case enjoy the solitude. :laughtwo:

:Namaste:

Now I'm going to get my butt on the mat and get in some Callanetics. I'm enjoying this looking younger every day thing. I'm sooooo looking forward to this.

edit: That was the best 2 hours all week. Why do I avoid these? It should be three times a week, not once. :straightface: Ease up Girl, it's ok. :love:

Watch it through to the end. The q&a is worth listening to sue.

The lady from dragonfly earth medicine is incredibly smart, her expression cracks me up at times.

I know 36. She's so incredibly deadpan I kept laughing right out loud. :laughtwo: She IS the epitome of "Hippy Dippy" ...and yet... I can tell you I'm going to look much closer at her. I found her talk of energy fascinating. The girl's on to something and she had all my senses tingling. Definitely going to look closer.

image26146.jpg

A sobering moment. This is the absolute last of the THC Bomb Auto. By tonight it will probably be gone. What a sweet run. One for a future grow with better soil and, hopefully, better gardening skills.

May the dry spell motivate me to excel at this. Now I'm going to indulge before I dash out to the hospital. Smells of pineapple and chamomile after three months. Yummy taste too.

ty sue for the help with my sig once again you taught me something:thumb:

Sweetsue, your latest round of pics showing the lil Devil....she's proving to be really special, despite her small stature eh?
Your being very patient with her...that is so cool...i didn't think you had it in ya....to wait i mean! :high-five:
A tip on when to take her Sue...after new pistils stop shooting out and ,all, or most have dissapeared virtually
back to the calyx....then it's time. Don't wait to scope her out expecting for alot of amber trichs....cuz you won't see too many...if you've pulled it off, and she's still healthy at chop that is. Good job SO FAR . Check your PM's too. Later ....Duggs.:circle-of-love:

Yesterday was the scheduled Coconut water/aloe vera juice drench. I purchases my aloe vera in powdered form, and it doesn't keep long after mixing, is it's Imperative that I be able to mix up a small quantity. Yesterday I discovered that the best way to quickly mix it up was to utilize these tiny water bottles. It made it so much easier to mix the powder up and demonstrated one of the major reasons we use aloe vera juice - the saponins.

image26084.jpg

Saponins foam when added to water and agitated.

From Medical Marijuana, a cut and paste of what's relevant to the gardener.

"Saponin Benefits" by Jan

Saponins: a group of chemicals with detergent-like properties that plants produce to help them resist microbial pathogen such as fungi and certain bacteria and viruses.

The soapy characteristics of saponins make them ideal for use as spray adjuvants (they make sprays work better). They also make sprays stick or spread better on leaf surfaces. They also allow nutrients to be absorbed better. Another important thing they do is to distribute water more evenly on hard-to-wet substrates. For these reasons saponins are often used in fertilizers, potting soils and pesticides.

Saponins when mixed with water reduce the surface tension of water, allowing the formation of small stable bubbles. As a consequence of their surface-active properties, saponins are excellent foaming agents (very stable). Today, saponins are used in the manufacture of fire extinguisher foam, toothpaste, shampoos, liquid soaps, and cosmetics and to increase the foaming qualities of beer and soft drinks. Saponins come in powdered or liquid form and can be found in fertilizers (amendments) and soilless potting mixes and certain pesticides (insecticides), kitty litter, detergents, beverages, lipsticks, herbal skin balms, and many other things.

Benefits of Saponins

Saponins can safely be used:

- wetting agent

- help with nutrient uptake

- help sprays (pesticide) to spread and stick better to plant parts (use less)

-anti-microbe

- anti-fungal

- promote beneficial microbial activity in the soil

- surfactant (reduces surface tension) better penetration

- bio-enhancer-added to products to make them work better

- manage excess salts (fertilizer build-up) in soil

- improve H2O penetration

- move spray solution into soil solution

- mildew cure (fungus)

- miticide (soapy quality suffocates mites)

- minimize wash-off (plant leaves)

- spray binder

- flushing of plants [cleaner than molasses (saponins in blue agave)]

- triggers plants defensive response to anaerobic fungi

- biochemical inhibitors

- boosts potency of other products (adjuvant)

ty sue for the help with my sig once again you taught me something:thumb:

There you go Bear. Now we can go check you out. Well done. Glad to help. It can be a bit tricky, but I knew we'd work it out.

Sweetsue, your latest round of pics showing the lil Devil....she's proving to be really special, despite her small stature eh?
Your being very patient with her...that is so cool...i didn't think you had it in ya....to wait i mean! :high-five:
A tip on when to take her Sue...after new pistils stop shooting out and ,all, or most have dissapeared virtually
back to the calyx....then it's time. Don't wait to scope her out expecting for alot of amber trichs....cuz you won't see too many...if you've pulled it off, and she's still healthy at chop that is. Good job SO FAR . Check your PM's too. Later ....Duggs.:circle-of-love:

She is a beauty Duggs. She's only the third one I've grown from seed so this flower packing like a Roman candle shooting out in all directions is new to me.

Thanks for that vote of almost-confidence Duggan. :laughtwo: They did have to practically physically restrain me at my first harvest. This one I'm more comfortable with.

I know with really healthy plants you might not get the amber trichomes, so I'm planning on following your advice and let the pistils tell me when.

bobrown did a cool three-day diluted application of malted barley tea recently that stimulated amazing trichome production and bulking up. I may try that this week. I'd like to see if it can make a difference this late in the game, and since it's the same amendment they would have gotten, just spread over three days, it won't cause any problems. She's a tiny thing, so the more bulk we can pack on the better, eh?

Back
Top Bottom