TheBorn's High Brix Soil - Obiwan OG Grow Journal - 2016

Once they get above ground, id start bottom watering. Make that taproot reach down and search for the water :)
Right on, how much water in each you think? Should I water from top or bottom? 3 are above ground now with helmets on. I can see the tap root of the last one as it is bending upwards. That one should be above ground tomorrow.

Should I water all of them tonight or wait till morning? Temps are holding steady at 70°f with the cfls on 24/7.

Thanks again for holding me down. Hope everyone has a great holiday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Right on, how much water in each you think? Should I water from top or bottom? 3 are above ground now with helmets on. I can see the tap root of the last one as it is bending upwards. That one should be above ground tomorrow.

Should I water all of them tonight or wait till morning? Temps are holding steady at 70°f with the cfls on 24/7.

You probably already watered but in case you didn't, I would water from the top with like 1/4 - 1/2 cup each, this has worked for me an I always worried about over watering. I would do that every day or two until they're established. I also read here on 420 mag that if you put the seed a little deeper, say about 3/4", the seed cover will work its way off by the time it breaks soil, it takes a little longer but is effective.

Happy Thanksgiving Born and gang!

:passitleft::ganjamon:

Get a pot that will hold about a gallon of water and fill it. Dunk the pots in the water and hold them there for about 10 to 15 seconds and make sure the water comes up to about 3/4ths up from the bottom of said pot. Note the difference in weight from when you put them in and the 10/15 seconds after. A bit heavier? They should just be a bit heavier, not soaked. The water will eventually wick up to the top so don't worry about that. If those are 1 gallon pots, go with something that will hold over 3 gallons and the process will remain the same. 3/4ths up the pot and hold for about maybe 20 to 30 seconds (I usually start in solos so thats why I said 10/15 secs). Since the soil is probably still a bit wet, it should wick up pretty good. If the soil is dry, Itll take a bit longer. Its something you'll have to get good at over time but the 20/30 secs will give you a good baseline. The deeper you hold the pot in the water, the quicker it'll flood in through the holes on the bottom. Get a feel for it and thank me later :)
Oh, and make sure you let the pots drain well after you pull them out. The receding water pulls oxygen through the top of the pot and therefore, across the roots...which they love :)

Hey Tard! Just want to double check that this is how to water when seeds have just popped. If so, I will change the way I water seedlings. Thanks! :passitleft:
We bottom feed with our 1s everytime. A lot easier and like tard said it pulls air down and it doesn't compact the soil. We leave the pots in the water a couple mins once they get bigger though.

Thanks Nis! I bottom feed my #1's but like Duggan, I don't do the 10's, too hard, especially with my arm being in recovery. I just wasn't sure if this method should be used with the new Borns, now I know.

Yup, that's how ive been doing it for years bud. When I go in 10 smartues, I pour a half gallon of just water in the tray and 1 gallon of either water or feed down the top. My results dont lie

Thanks everyone, I'll get them watered either tonight or tomorrow morning before I get the turkey going.

On my last attempt I used a 5 gallon bucket filled half way. Sounds like I can use less water though. Thanks again!

Watered this morning. I let them soak from the bottom, just distilled water. The top of the soil is still dry though. I'm gonna water from the top as well just to moisten the top.

Another question about water temperature. How much should I be concerned? I keep 1 gal jugs of water in the closet with the boiler which keeps it pretty warm.

Thanks everyone, getting this turkey on in a little bit but need to grab some bud. I'm fresh out.

Watered this morning. I let them soak from the bottom, just distilled water. The top of the soil is still dry though. I'm gonna water from the top as well just to moisten the top.

Another question about water temperature. How much should I be concerned? I keep 1 gal jugs of water in the closet with the boiler which keeps it pretty warm.

Thanks everyone, getting this turkey on in a little bit but need to grab some bud. I'm fresh out.

If you're gonna water down the top, just put a bit around where the stem is. Don't worry, that taproot will find the water at the bottom bro

Update:

All seeds have popped and are above ground. Watered yesterday with distilled water. They all still have helmets though the one in the back left is shedding her's.

I added more bulbs to the fixture this morning which seems to have them working. See the pic below. Temps are getting higher because of the extra bulbs but my temp controller came in and seems to be working, we'll see.

Update:

All seeds have popped and are above ground. Watered yesterday with distilled water. They all still have helmets though the one in the back left is shedding her's.

I added more bulbs to the fixture this morning which seems to have them working. See the pic below. Temps are getting higher because of the extra bulbs but my temp controller came in and seems to be working, we'll see.

When that happens to me I use tweezers and a dental pick to remove them. Ive had them stay on too long in the past and killed the seedling. Hope that doesn't happen to yours dude :)

When that happens to me I use tweezers and a dental pick to remove them. Ive had them stay on too long in the past and killed the seedling. Hope that doesn't happen to yours dude :)
I'll try that tonight here's a pic.

420-magazine-mobile973800364.jpg

Next time you plant a seed, plant it deeper. :cheesygrinsmiley: Helmets are a sign that they were too shallow. When they're deeper, they'll shed the seed case in the moist soil on the way up.

The best way to remove one now is to wet the helmet first, before you try to mess with it - that'll soften it up. Even a single drop of water will usually work. :thumb:

(Be sure you get the membrane, too - that'll kill a seedling if it stays on and dries.)

Room temp is good for water.....don't warm it up too much Born,...remember colder water has more O2 in it than warm does. I found room temperature is best! Cheers eh!

Update:

All helmets are off (thanks Tard!). I raised the cfls a little bit to help manage the temps. Holding at about 73°. Keeo the tips coming everyone. Sorry for the potato shot through the window:

420-magazine-mobile1699636882.jpg

I'm thinking of putting setting my LED up to do the veg then add the cfl fixture back in at flower. I'm using the CFLs to save energy and provide heat. Lights on 24. Keeping the led on 24 would cost me about the same however since it only pulls 210w giving off slightly less heat. I only have a 4x2 tent and was thinking to just keep 2 ladies. Not sure if I can do 4 in there.

What do you guys think?

If you have to put the lights up you're gonna need more light or they'll stretch like crazy. Get that room as bright as you can and change the schedule to either 18/6 16/8 or GLR. Dont hit them with the bloom lights yet tho.
Id do 3 plants in 7 gallon pots in a 4x2 bro, it's definitely possible. If your tent is collapsing on itself because of your exhaust fan, just use some low gauge garden wire from pole to pole all the way around. That way when they get bigger they'll have that bit of extra room and not get smooshed in too bad...and get some bamboo sticks to prop everything. You'll need it if you're planning on using OG drench later in flower :)

That's some genius shit with the garden wire. What does GLR mean? I'll get the led up and switch the light schedule tomorrow. Sounds like the rest of the stuff I can grab later.

It stands for gas lantern routine. Its 12 hrs on, 5.5 hrs off, 1 hr on and 5.5 hrs off. Its cheaper on electricity and does the same job as 18/6 16/8. That hour on during the lights off cycle, keeps the reproductive hormones at bay so they wont go into flower...they'll "show" earlier but won't go into full flower until you remove that hour and go straight 12/12. Ive used it forever and know a few other awesome growers that do :)

Back
Top Bottom