1st Hydro - LED Grow With Crop King White Widow From Seed

Update,
The beans in the starter plugs are showing signs of life. Should I be concerned that the root seems to be pointed at the top of the hole? I guess I did not place the beans right side up.

Also my tent did not arrive today. I am a little P.O.'ed about that. I really wanted to have that put together today or tomorrow. So have to sit on my hands for a bit longer about that.

I did receive my original order of beans from the first seed bank that I ordered from today. Three weeks after ordering them and never getting a tracking number or anything. Now I have a replacement order on it's way from the same seed bank. They resent it, because I had paid for the stealth shipping and the insurance since it was a few different types of beans. So I am debating weather I should do something about that. The service was bad, but in the end they did do what they had promised to do. On the one hand, it is not my fault they did not keep the tracking number and had to resend the order. On the other hand, once they acknowledged the mistake they did fix it and sent some additional seeds in the replacement order. I do not want to pay twice, but I am not a thief. Anyone have an opinion on this? If it was you, what do you think that you would do?

call them tell them the original order has arrived and what they wish you to do with the second set if it arrives
they might just tell you you can keep it

edit make sure you do have the original order and make sure its not the second

edit again

maybe not even say anything till the second one arrives then give them a call
don't wanna jump the gun until you know you have 2 orders

I looked at the main lining training HST. It looks so extreme. I loved how he he trained that plant to have the shape of 420! I do not know when I will try that but I will def be thinking about it.

Yea, I don't think the technique is for the weak of heart... :)

I was reading a grow journal with 600W HPS + 2 plants in DWC (indoor tent) using mainlining... The yield was something like 24 oz... Not too shabby ;)

Anyway, was just passing along some interesting knowledge.

thanks Cogreen! I love to check out other people's theories and see what else is possible. 24oz on an indoor grow is hard to fathom. I really do not want to be in a 2 month or more veg state. Ideally I would like to make the flip first week of September. I also have some purple kush from crop king that I really want to try to grow this winter. I have never smoked or grown any of the purp's or blue's. So that will really be fun for me. There is a guy that I know that does indoor grows and that is my hook up. He only grows (as far as I know) WW. So I am very excited to grow this and compare to his. He has been doing this for years and is a bit of a snob about his weed. But he is not as meticulous about his grow any more. So that is just some background on why I am doing this. He has said he may stop, or at least cut way back, and that would leave me and a few others out in the cold. LOL :) So, just like Noah, I am building my "Ark" now before the rains come.
:)

Update. I wanted to try and turn the seeds so the roots were facing down. The most aggressive grower as about a 3/4" taproot already. :) but it was also in a 3/4 circle. I now have them all facing down. Hoping that they will be seedlings in 48 hours.
2015-08-07_09_53_08.jpg

2015-08-07_09_53_15.jpg

2015-08-07_09_56_30.jpg

2015-08-07_09_56_36.jpg

If anyone sees that I did something wrong or need to change something, please say so. Thanks again to everyone for the great inputs, ideas, and encouragement.

Nice work Bama. Being upside down won't hurt the seed. Just remember the pointy side of the seed is the part where the taproot escapes.

Cheers on launching a 5 star grow journal:riskybusiness:

Vlad

Nice work Bama. Being upside down won't hurt the seed. Just remember the pointy side of the seed is the part where the taproot escapes.

Cheers on launching a 5 star grow journal:riskybusiness:

Vlad
Thank you Vlad. I thought that I had placed them in the cubes correctly but obviously I did not. Right now conditions in there are about 86 F and very humid. I put a little bit of water in the bottom of the tray to increase the humidity. They are outside at the moment in direct sunlight. but in about 4 hours they will be in shade. So I am thinking it is about perfect growing conditions for them. At least I really hope so. I want to start see seedlings by the end of the weekend. I have "high" hopes for this holiday season! :)

Carefully, with tweezers, just turn the upside down ones around.

I'm not a big fan of plugs and rockwool. I use those 9 - hole flimsy seed starter pots that come in those little greenhouse kits they sell everywhere. I fill them with promix that I've screened to take out any lumps or big bits of perlite and use that to start seeds or cuttings. If it's cuttings that are going into DWC then I let them grow a bit so the roots hold the promix together better. Once the plug goes into a net pot and is buried with hydroton balls I run some water thru it to rinse any loose promix off then stick the pot in the tub lid. A little more will wash into the tub but it just lies on the bottom and has never been a problem. I used real dirt once for cuttings and got serious root rot from the germs etc in the soil so I make sure to use the promix for everything now.

I also rough up the seeds a bit before planting directly into the promix. Just cut a piece of sandpaper, 150 grit but that's not critical, to line the inside of a pill jar and shake them around gently for a full minute. After having trouble getting some older beans to sprout by soaking I started planting directly into the mix and got almost 100% so that's the way I do them all now.

I'm also very fussy about never using my fingers to handle the seeds. Skin oils can prevent the seed from soaking up water and may contain contaminants that can infect the emerging root tip

About your 2nd set of beans. Was an honest mistake on your part and if anything I would see how the beans grow and if they are good beans then I might send them the cash to cover the 2nd set but if there is lousy germination or they go hermie then fuggit. Was their mistake for not doing it right in the first place. I've only once ever bought beans from a store and I walked in to the store in Vancouver and paid cash for some autos. 4 of the 6 girls I got hermied so I phoned to complain and they fired off a pack of LowRyder1 for me that I got 4 days later. They didn't know me from Adam as I paid cash in the store like 4 months before so I was very happy with their response. LR1 is not something you really want to smoke but great for breeding your own autos from regular plants and that's what I'm doing next as I have lots of beans from those crosses and ones crossed with another auto.

You're on your way! :goodluck:

L8r

Thank you Vlad. I thought that I had placed them in the cubes correctly but obviously I did not. Right now conditions in there are about 86 F and very humid. I put a little bit of water in the bottom of the tray to increase the humidity. They are outside at the moment in direct sunlight. but in about 4 hours they will be in shade. So I am thinking it is about perfect growing conditions for them. At least I really hope so. I want to start see seedlings by the end of the weekend. I have "high" hopes for this holiday season! :)

You're setting the seed tray out in the sun?

Hope that works but I'd keep them in a closet somewhere fairly warm, about 75, under some fluoros until they get established. Nice consistent temps that aren't too warm usually makes sure that most make it. If it works ok then that's great but it's not something I would try.

L8r

are you leaving those holes "open" or was that just for the photo shoot? i've always read when using rapid rooters you want to lightly plug that hole so no light gets in.

you've prob already seen this, but one of the better refs I've seen for germinating with RRs [1].

the last 2 I germinated I used the upside down RR method with a slice through the RR as discussed later in [1]... I think that's the route I'll use in the future too. I found putting a little piece of RR in the hole is troublesome and it keep popping out before germination; that's why I liked the upside down with slice method.

finally -- I think my next germ I'll germ right in my res with light bubbles touching the RR; less work then ensuring the RRs don't dry out. i also think next time I'll use *very* light nutes (debatable topic)... like 75PPM.

obviously take with a grain of salt -- I've only germinated about a dozen seeds in my life :)

... let the fun begin dude!!

[1] Xlr8's seed germination technique - Germinating in Rapid Rooter plugs

Thanks OMU. I am talking them back inside now then. That's what I am talking about. Experience matters and thanks for sharing yours.

I'm not saying it won't work outside but it seems risky to me as newly emerging seedlings are pretty vulnerable.

They don't even need light until they emerge just warmth and I find if it's too warm, like over 80, it increases the chance of molds or fungus and in the case of cuttings can cause damping off where the stem goes all mushy and the cuttings fall over and die. Much different than the normal drooping that most cuttings go through.

Would hate to see you lose those. :)

L8r

Cogreen,

If my tent was already here, I would have tried to germ in the RR in the dwc pots. I swear that was what I was thinking as well. I did add some CANNA start to the water that I soaked the RR to. I have read time after time on the journals here to be careful of overfeeding. However, I have been told by some guys that I respect as growers (indoors) that you have to get your ladies to eat in order to grow as big as they can. I will be going with a cautious attitude this whole grow as it is new territory for me. But I will always listen to those with more experience than I have. That is why I love this site.

Last night I was watching one of my favorite shows. There was an advertisement for a new show they are going to be starting this week I think. Something along the lines of Rocky Mountain Justice or something like that. In the advertisement they were showing that the illegal transportation of MMJ across state lines out of Colorado was a problem and they were showcasing their efforts to combat it. Is that a real problem in Colorado or is just more war on drugs hype? Like are they trying to say "look at all the increase in crime now that we have legal MMJ in our state"? I may try and catch the show to see how they are portraying the legal MMJ movement. It makes me sad and a little upset if they are trying to show that legal MMJ increases crime. I mean before it was legal, was nobody growing, selling, transporting, or using it? Their logic, when making that argument is just dumb. Also I would always counter with the whole alcohol argument. If you have a dry county and a wet county next to each other, does that mean nobody in the dry county drinks? Is it illegal to go to the wet county to buy alcohol and then bring it home to consume? I can not stand the prohibitionist position. It is anti liberty and anti American but it is pro evangelism and that is all that seems to matter. Every time I hear some one "preaching the truth" I want to know what is the difference in their view of society and that of the radical Muslims (think ISIL)? It seems to me like they believe the same thing; Do as I say or will take away your life, liberty, and property.

Any who, just wanted to get someone else's view that actually lives in the state and may actually know about the MMJ scene.

I flat out refuse to watch any of those shows. Just hopping on the pot bandwagon to exploit it for what they can get out of it. I don't watch any of those "reality" type shows as I feel like my IQ goes down 50 points for a couple days after and I don't want it to be permanent. lol

There was one of the first pot shows on with a guy that had a pot store running around to a guy's farm looking at nice plants. Then they started calling strains "strands" and I turned it off to watch Scrubs instead. Think of all the people who know little or nothing about pot that will think they are learning something from these shows. Hard enough getting them to listen to the truth and dispel decades of propaganda.

Now that the Daily Show is over there is nothing left but PBS worth watching.

Watching shows like that ups their viewer numbers and only encourages them to make more. Boycott!

L8r

Back
Top Bottom