2 Deep Water Cultures

Heh, a hydro grow! Great!

There aren't a lot of hydro growers here so I thought I'd poke my nose in.

Great move adding Si and Hydroguard is your friend, as well. Two staples.

One thing that strikes me is that there's no discussion of light levels and I do see that the hang height is pretty high. That, in turn, tells me that you can get a lot more out of your grow by setting the light to the manufacturers recommended levels.

Once cannabis has a "sufficient" level of nutes, it will not grow any faster/better/taller my adding more nutes. Per the image below, once you exceed the sufficiency range, you start damaging your plants and it can be very hard to remedy the situation (much easier in hydro than SIP or soil, granted).

Nutrient Sufficiency.png

Light is the opposite. I have seen some growers damage their plants with too much light but it's very rare and it's, frankly, not easy to do.

Once a plant is established in the veg phase or later, cannabis will consume a huge amount of light and, in return, will generate a very significant harvest. Plants getting lotsa light are shorter and have more leaves, stems, and flowers ("infloresence") which generates a larger crop of higher quality.

Per the data below, the paper is cited, there's a measurable impact on yield of increasing light intensity. The results are significant (to me) - at by going from a PPFD of, say, 600 to 900, yield increased 5.2+4.9+4.7+4.5+4.3+4.1 ≈ 28%. Not a bad increase for turning up the dimmer.

1691945748784.png

Heh, a hydro grow! Great!

There aren't a lot of hydro growers here so I thought I'd poke my nose in.

Great move adding Si and Hydroguard is your friend, as well. Two staples.

One thing that strikes me is that there's no discussion of light levels and I do see that the hang height is pretty high. That, in turn, tells me that you can get a lot more out of your grow by setting the light to the manufacturers recommended levels.

Once cannabis has a "sufficient" level of nutes, it will not grow any faster/better/taller my adding more nutes. Per the image below, once you exceed the sufficiency range, you start damaging your plants and it can be very hard to remedy the situation (much easier in hydro than SIP or soil, granted).

Nutrient Sufficiency.png

Light is the opposite. I have seen some growers damage their plants with too much light but it's very rare and it's, frankly, not easy to do.

Once a plant is established in the veg phase or later, cannabis will consume a huge amount of light and, in return, will generate a very significant harvest. Plants getting lotsa light are shorter and have more leaves, stems, and flowers ("infloresence") which generates a larger crop of higher quality.

Per the data below, the paper is cited, there's a measurable impact on yield of increasing light intensity. The results are significant (to me) - at by going from a PPFD of, say, 600 to 900, yield increased 5.2+4.9+4.7+4.5+4.3+4.1 ≈ 28%. Not a bad increase for turning up the dimmer.

1691945748784.png
I lowered my lights to maximize ppfd for this stage of growth.
image.jpg

Elevating CO2 to 1250ppm. Currently at 900 ppm.
993C18C8-0467-4071-8D75-CEE2C008D876.jpeg
6FB5D7ED-1E73-48A1-A05C-673547982620.jpeg
CO2 - I'm jealous but your plants will be really happy!

If you're going with 1250ppm CO2, your plants should be able to use all the photons your main light can put out. I wouldn't fire up that UV light anymore, though — yield drops when the amount of blue photons > 4% in flower*.

What model light is that?

* As discussed in the paper "Cannabis lighting: Decreasing blue photon fraction increases yield but efficacy is more important for cost effective production of cannabinoids", published by Bubgee et al. It's a good read. The money quote: "The lowest fraction of blue photons was 4% from HPS, and increased to 9.8, 10.4, 16, and 20% from LEDs. There was a consistent, linear, 12% decrease in yield in each study as the fraction of blue photons increased from 4 to 20%."

1692212767274.png

CO2 - I'm jealous but your plants will be really happy!

If you're going with 1250ppm CO2, your plants should be able to use all the photons your main light can put out. I wouldn't fire up that UV light anymore, though — yield drops when the amount of blue photons > 4% in flower*.

What model light is that?

* As discussed in the paper "Cannabis lighting: Decreasing blue photon fraction increases yield but efficacy is more important for cost effective production of cannabinoids", published by Bubgee et al. It's a good read. The money quote: "The lowest fraction of blue photons was 4% from HPS, and increased to 9.8, 10.4, 16, and 20% from LEDs. There was a consistent, linear, 12% decrease in yield in each study as the fraction of blue photons increased from 4 to 20%."

1692212767274.png
My UVB supplemental is only on 1 hr in th am and 1 hr before lights off in the pm. My main light is Viparspectra P4000 400 watts.

Back
Top Bottom